ITT: Most Innovative Guitarists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2LgCqcmruGU
youtube.com/watch?v=YSh-YsyjpXk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

clikit

ME

I've always thought Elliott Smith was pretty innovative with the sounds he got out of his guitar

/thread

>buys guitar to attract girls
>self-taught, trying to mimick delta blues
>ends up with game changing playing style performing solo guitar
>finds legends of blues as well as new talents to give them exposure and help them to get money selling records
>nobody gives a shit, becomes depressed alcoholic, dies poor
>prolly didn't get any pussy in a lifetime

>DUDE
>MUH STAR SPANGLED BANNER
loads of guys were more interesting and inventive than hendrix like frank marino, robert fripp, even mainstream guys like gilmour. He only gets the hype because he died young.

>Trying this hard
I don't think you know why Hendrix played Star Spangled Banner the way that he did

>being this much of a faggot

Bro why are you trying so hard lmao

>dude lsd
Santanas Woodstock set was 1000x better

Glenn Branca

Nuh you're dumb

seriously anyone that says hendrix wasnt interesting and innovative has NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT.

surprised no one's posted him yet

Great arguments. He was good but not the guitar god he's been made into. SRV and van halen are better

The last guitar player to do anything even remotely innovative was Kevin Shields and that was nearly 30 years ago.

You'd think with as many retards who play guitar that someone would have done something new in the last 30 yeas.... but nope. How sad is that?

Because taking shit actual innovators like Sonny Sharrock and Glenn Branca did and cramming it into mediocre indie rock isn't mindblowing unless your favorite band is Nirvana

that was my exact situation as a 12 year old, listening to sonic youth because nirvana said they were good in an interview. mind blown.

papu derek will make all things clear
youtube.com/watch?v=2LgCqcmruGU

fuckin duh

Eddie Van Halen

A few innovative/influential guitarists from huge bands:

Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi
Brian May
Eddie Van Halen
The Edge
Kevin Shields
Tom Morello

Not saying they're all virtuosos, but they cut their own path sonically and helped pioneer sounds that are instantly recognizable today.

>The Edge

>Brian May

He comes up a lot and he was a great guitarist but I really don't see much that's innovative about him.

Robert Quine had a pretty amazing Ornette Coleman-inspired free jazz style guitar method when he was with Richard Hell & The Voidoids. It's just a shame that he'd pretty much abandoned it by the time he left that band, so the only place to really hear it is Blank Generation. Blank Generation is, ultimately, kind of a goofy art punk album, so you have to work a little bit to isolate the guitars in your mind, but what he was doing was pretty revolutionary. Maybe my favorite guitarist.

>Ornette Coleman-inspired free jazz style guitar

That's literally exactly what Lou did on Run Run Run a full decade prior though

>no Zappa

>all these posts and no Johnny

Johnny's sound of all downstroke, high gain, power chords is literally just a description of what guitar is in punk music. There can't be more than half a dozen people in rock music more innovative than that.

No. Lou Reed's noisy garage style is really no comparison to what Robert Quine was doing. It's not even in the same ballpark.

I knew I'd catch shit for that.

That's fair. I'm mainly thinking of the way he used harmonized leads. I know he's not the only person to ever try that, but he had a really distinctive sound. It was like running into a phalanx of guitars or something.

Zappa definitely belongs, good catch

good call, OP. I never expected him to appear here.

his most interesting guitar playing was just a ripoff of John Fahey

with taste like urs ur sure to catch some snatch

Same as Brian May, what the fuck was innovative about Zappa?

He was a great guitarist but where do you hear his influence outside of a handful of shitty prog bands no one cares about?

Roy Montgomery

Pete Cosey

at least zappa would have remembered his quotes

go to bed Brian, we'll call you innovative when you're dead

(ps. i think ur innovative

Helios Creed

I meant to attach this image

Zoot Horn Rollo

His guitar solos album is one for the most unsurpassed flows of sheer creativity I've ever heard. Absolutely essential for anyone actually interested in the instrument.

This is satire, right?

But you're objectively wrong. Another artist did what you're praising Quine for innovating a full decade before he did it.

Yes

His gimmicks take no skill and he's a pretentious, arrogant, pompous cunt irl.

Not a response

Fahey is a king

youtube.com/watch?v=YSh-YsyjpXk

Mike einziger
Nuno bettencourt
Frank marino

You've made a ridiculous statement. What did you expect? To be taken seriously for claiming a guitar player known for playing power chords almost exclusively is one of the innovators on the instrument?

Johnny is one of the biggest pleb-filter's in roc k

What's that supposed to mean? People who dislike the most deliberately simplistic genres of music besides grunge are missing out on something special?

No, he didn't really. There's a reason Reed hired him. Quine was one of the best guitarists of his generation. Lou Reed was never a great guitarist, though he was an interesting one.

In the sense that people who don't understand why Johnny's minimalist playing is so impactful are more likely to go back to prog-rock wankery.
Johnny did what nobody did at the time, he personified angry young man playing in a way which has only been copied since, people who like grunge even forget about him because his sound is so unapologetic, in fact I'd argue he and Robert Quine are legends precisely because they are so selfish as players.

Do you actually believe wankery is a valid point or even a word that makes sense? Wouldn't be surprised, because I've expected something against progressive rock from an adamant defender of a punk guitar player.

I like both prog rock and punk rock.
Innovator of punk rock > just another genesis fan

>Innovator of punk rock > just another genesis fan
Just another Genesis fan? What?

Still waiting to hear an argument

People have went much further in the exploration of the instrument, some even decades before him. Here are some examples:
Just because you happen to like a genre of music your favorite guitar player was in, that doesn't add anything more than what he's achieved to his legacy. I've also implied this in my previous reply. It's not as if I called you an idiot and went my way.

Have gone*

>People have went much further in the exploration of the instrument, some even decades before him

And? Guitar is not an A to B path, there are infinity branches.

Steve Hackett

>Still waiting to hear an argument
are you aware of how much of a faggot you sound?

>Guitar is not an A to B path, there are infinity branches.
You know perfectly well what I'm talking about. You don't want to admit it however.

>Actually comparing Robert Fripp to Hendrix

I'm not .

SRV is a cheap Hendrix impersonator
>muh Texas blues
try harder next time

Being a ripoff of John Fahey sounds like a complement to me baby

No one knows what you're talking about, my dude. You obviously have a hate boner for the Ramones or punk but no one understands why

>ctrl f
>johnny marr
>0 results

everybody here is a pleb

Johnny Ramone's guitar is just a shitty version of rockabilly guitar, think Chuck Berry but somehow LESS impressive. Or, if you like, the Velvet Underground did exactly the sort of shit the Ramones were doing but 10 years earlier (Waiting for My Man, Run Run Run, Sister Ray etc)

he's the only good artist from my hometown, him and Cabaret Voltaire maybe

Typical dumb shoegaze drone.

>Hate boner
And I thought it was worth taking you seriously until now. Here it goes, not that it would matter to you any way - while Fred Frith for example played prepared guitars (with an additional pickup over the nut of the guitar, capos and alligator clips of various frets) and recorded an album of sheer undisputed creativity in a matter of hours without overdubbing, Johnny Ramone very rarely played anything more than power chords. If there was soloing, it was often a single note one. And again:
>Just because you happen to like a genre of music your favorite guitar player was in, that doesn't add anything more than what he's achieved to his legacy.
I'm also not .

You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Johnny Ramone plays nothing like Berry or Reed and he doesn't play rockabilly.

listen to Band of Gypsys and say that again please.

If you said anyone other than Tosin Abasi you are fucking stupid

John McLaughlin
Nick Reinhart

>gimmicky meme guitars

no idea who this fag is but there’s no way he does anything remotely innovative

John Frusciante

ranaldo is the guitar wizard desu

The guy pretty much pioneered the use of power chords in rock and literally punched holes in his amps before shows to give them a fucked up blown out sound that got called distortion later.

yup
we can safely call him the father of punk and metal

Why are Oasis shows always so scold? Why don't they tour somewhere with a nicer climate?

AMEN

>He only gets the hype because he died young.
The Jews push him because he was a nigger.

>dat spider chord
>dat song writing
>dat sub genre he essentially pioneered

I agree but the way you said that shows you haven't got a fucking clue

>dat b8

Why don't you ask him ?

>muh eight string guitar

please show us a video of you playing guitar, using hendrix influences