/daily/ - Extrasolar Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youdontneedmaps.wordpress.com/2017/11/02/the-secret-history-of-deathcore/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/manuel_zurria/repeat_/
rateyourmusic.com/~RythmicSpark
i.imgur.com/2q9OeuN.jpg
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bogdan_raczynski/samurai_math_beats/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/麓健一/美化-bika/
youtube.com/watch?v=ObLcbAZIA_A
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/промышленная-архитектура/любовь-и-технология-_ljubov-i-tekhnonogija_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/helena-hauff/obscure-object/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for cow

Last chance before I update this
I'll update it in an hour

after reading youdontneedmaps.wordpress.com/2017/11/02/the-secret-history-of-deathcore/ i am trying to get as far out of my comfort zone as possible and am unironically going through some deathcore, hbu?

man i was so hype for new baths album and i have to say i think its great. really cheery shit. makes me want to pound another mans ass.

I am p sure I already told you

Milo - Who Told You to Think???!!!??!?!?!?

Great
Give every genre an honest chance without listening to prejudice and you might find wonders

Right now I'm giving King Gizzard an honest chance even though I've always avoided them because of their gimmicky nature and the people who like them desu heh

Since I'm only present since yesterday, can't pretend to be a serious member of daily, so skip me for the 3 best albums this time

Getting out of my comfort zone too, wondering around albums to find stuff. Currently giving Witch House a try. Any recs for me?

That was honestly an amazing album to my eyes too, I've even made listented this album to people of my class and they like it too , that's cool.

>skip me for the 3 best albums this time

Sure thing, I update this semi-regularly nowadays so if you stick around you'll be there soon :-)

>Witch House
Haven't heard that name in years......
desu the best thing to come out of that movement was Crystal Castle's III imo. Holy Other - Held is p ok too

>Currently giving Witch House a try. Any recs for me?
Salem - King Night, Crim3s - Stay Ugly, oOoOO - Without Your Love

those are the only two decent witch house albums

War flashbacks to listening to random bandcamp bands named †‡†▇ in 2010

Last change I'll make in a while, thanks for doing this mr. longdog

Switch Dystopia with this:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/manuel_zurria/repeat_/

I can't decide on a favorite minimalism recc so I chose a compilation of pieces

Crystal Castle was the first band I listened to start Witch House. iii was really neat though I have to say Amnesty (I) reached my heart even better. Anyway thanks for the other album and thanks too

HELL YEA to the OP photo.

I just managed to set up an AMA with Baths on /r/indieheads for Wednesday at 1pm PST. Be sure to tune in.

I've been listening to Romaplasm a ton. I feel like Adam Copy and Broadback are some of his best tracks ever. Yeoman and Out too.

Wilt is really weird I don't know how to feel about it yet haha.

In other news I listened to Slint - Spiderland today and didn't like it at all. i think im just not into emo

>In other news I listened to Slint - Spiderland today and didn't like it at all. i think im just not into emo

could you replace Youre Dead with Baths - Cerulean perhaps?

what's your rateyourmusic/lastfm?

I never thought of spiderland as an emo album, I mean technically it's pretty dark but isn't it more punk for how cold it is

rateyourmusic.com/~RythmicSpark

I use two different nicknames, RythmicSpark is my generic internet name while Kahia is the name of my avatar somehow. Also, I maybe need to start rating all the albums of my playlists one day. Anyway here you go.

ok, here's the tourney thing, good luck everyone

did you see my post last thread? it was prolapse, R. Stevie Moore and antena

>Facing Mars Volta
Amputechture
heck this is going to be a tough one, really love-or-hate album but it has some of those seriously best prog rock jams of all time tracks on it so we'll see how this goes...

transgod, engarde!

>against Nick Drake
fuggg, at least it's his 3rd best album. I haven't made it past round 1 in a tourney for like a year.

>up against Letov and his Tickley Bum first round
I don't know your taste too well but here are my bets

rudi
stick
crunch (sadly)
trans
ethy
jummo jazz
s
letov

>Doubting the minimalist, brass ambiance of Urban Sax
I mean, Amputechture is bodacious, but Fraction sur le Temps is really blissful. It's a tough battle, but I think I'll come out on top.

uhhhh hey

could you replace uncle meat with The Jazz Composer's Orchestra and Minor Threat with Fast Car by Jim O'Rourke

if too late that's cool and I'll wait till next month

It's Alive2007's birthday.

I think that's the only album I may call a true 10/10

Chart is getting updated pretty often but anyway, I'll put it here.

Quick question too, how does the tourney things works? Just curious?

romaplasm is p high up there considering it just came out lol

did you see the AMA announcement?

>Quick question too, how does the tourney things works? Just curious?
You start a tourney, people enter tourney with albums.

Each round is album vs. other album, winner moves forward until the end and someone wins the whole thing.

Like a normal tournament, except for music recommendations.

lol, it was all the randomizer work, but now I'm even more interested in starting with this thing, probably tonight when I get home, I mean I don't have a chart going on so yeah

Yeah, but Romaplasm is an album that really reached my heart. Also yeah, I'm very hyped by this, even with the jet lag they will be I hope I'll be able to participate.

Thanks a lot!

Nice
Tell me if you spot any error or something that looks wrong

i.imgur.com/2q9OeuN.jpg

groove metal

ok what next

Thanks a ton borzoi I'll repay you with the bozori on campus.

arca so you can pan it and validste my oponions on it

Yeah Arca then GET TO UNWOUND so you can either upset feelist or make feelist happy

What did he mean by this?

Is this poseurcore?

>my meme vs my meme
rigged

>Buckley glancing at giantess vagoo

hey im late af cuz i was moving back into college but if you wanna add me thats cool
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Animal Slaves - Dog Eat Dog
White Noise - An Electric Storm

thnk u lv u

:'(
listen to my rec at some point anyway, I think you'll like it based on the other emo you've rated highly

>your
mmh

Finally back at college! Let's play an album on my B&W children I had to leave during the Ontario College Strike.

>Christoph De Babalon - If You're Into It, I'm Out Of It
Holy fuck. I was not expecting this to sound how it did. I was expecting some dark breakcore but this shits just depressing. Absolutely crushing. The cover when you first see it makes you think 'aight this guy in a comfy sweaters gonna make some hardcore dnb shit' but in reality its what you see when you're trapped in his basement as he makes it. You guys seem to like it tho, and I can see why, but it's just not interesting enough for me desu.

Can someone give me some happy, warm IDM or other 'intense electronic music' to make me feel better as I eat college pizza? Something like Mu-ziq or Squarepusher or comfy Aphex or hell even Jamie XX.

>happy, warm IDM or other 'intense electronic music"

You already mentioned Squarepusher but if you haven't heard Ultravisitor give that a shot

also rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bogdan_raczynski/samurai_math_beats/

the electronic aspects for releases like this seem to always be so stiff, stale and reused, like the band heard someone put it over their music and go "oy yeah i like that" (even though it looks like the band leader also did the production). I do like Stalemate the most out of the album, and the band does seem well-meaning. It got a little easier to handle by the end of the album, as well, like on Pack of Thieves. Even Constellations wasn't horrible

it's a shame because I really like this album cover

you can't go half fag
gotta go full tripfag to get in tournies, even if it's temporary

wtf if it makes you feel super depressed that's gotta be an 8 at least (though I didn't really get that from the album)

I don't have warm IDM but i have warm soft berlin school if that's ok
Pauline Anna Strom - Trans-Millenia Music

It was close to an 8 but the fact that I wouldn't really listen to it too many more times hurt it a bit.

batfinks

Ok!

>warm idm
Kim Hiorthoy - Hei

usually people would at least let me in tho

yeah it's defo a recent thing that halftrips have been denied, we denying immigrants now :(

Build a wall. No Sup Forums refugees are allowed in glorious /daily/stan.

if you're that same trip that was in my No Restrictions tourney, huit absolutely missed out. You have a different tripcode so maybe not
I'll listen to that recc for you, since it's short

Do you realise how dickish you sound saying "ill listen to thay recc for you"? Youre not doing anyone a great favour by lending your precious little ears for 40 minutes, a total stranger took his time to look at what music you like and think of something you might enjoy, you should be the one greatfull.

they picked that recc for huit, not me

Ay sorry for meming you then boio, I've seen some trips do that before to anons who were trying to recc them things and it irked me a lot. Shouldve held the horses and checked the post last thread my bad.

His next album will be an unwound tribute project

Virus is fucking incredible mate, but i wouldn't say it's the best excision

i shouldn't have worded my post like that anyway, no harm done. I was just excited to get more reccs from them

Post-Ihor

I will, thanks, iirc I have it in my backlog already since it always comes up as a recommendation when I'm listening to 125 rue montmartre

Thanks!

Doing that fabio april 94 mix

ayyy mama whats under that robe

Good evening /daily/. I am back with another 20 reviews of James Ferraro releases + side projects. In this batch I got through his 2007 output including his Lamborghini Crystal releases and some more tribal themed albums.

Lamborghini Crystal - Alien Microwave (2007)
>Surprised by the direction that this went in. Starts out with urgent lofi guitar riffs but about halfway through shifts to a more ambient tone, and this shift is so gradual I didn't even realize it was happening. In the middle there are some distorted vocal samples which are hilarious and odd at the same time. I believe this is a compilation so some of these songs appear on other LC records. 6/10

Lamborghini Crystal - Demon Channels (Radio Demons) (2007)
>There are sections of this release in which the instrumentation is just so loud that it's no longer lofi. I'm still so intrigued by the odd pitch shifted vocals at the middle of the record. 6/10

Lamborghini Crystal - Dial 747 Creepozoid (2007)
>And here begins some of the perplexing endless guitar solos. I really wonder if he is actually playing guitar or if it's some sort of sample. This is a step up from the previous LC releases and is actually kind of varied in its sound. 7/10

Lamborghini Crystal - Little Deuce Coup TV Dinners (2007)
>Feels in a way less urgent than the other LC albums in the sense that the tunes are a bit more relaxed and jovial sounding. Also seems as though the technical ability of James (I'm guessing) playing guitar is improved on this release. I wonder if James just learned to play guitar in 2007 and started jamming for the sole purpose of creating the LC moniker.

Nirvana - Body Of Consciousness/Uguiya To Jeep By Iguana Greenwave (2007)
>Very interesting. The feedback techniques from the Skaters are still in play but more coherent instrumentation accompanies this release, including a very nice improvised flute section. I also like how this album explores an anachronistic western view of Africa. 7/10

Nirvana - Malayang Nirvana Safari (2007)
>Some really beautiful sections in here, especially towards the end. It continues to baffle me how James is both making these sounds and putting out so many releases. I might just be a musical novice and not understand how easy it is to lay down a few note progressions with instrument x and loop to eternity, but there really is some nuance here that is indicative of genuine musical talent. 7/10

Pacific Rat Temple Band - Tan Kim (Boa Paradise) (2007)
>Another keeper. Some neat synth lines and vocal portions. The last track is brilliant. It's interesting though that when I first listened to Ferraro's works, they appeared to me as isolated and disparate. Working through his discography, there is clearly a progression, and having listened to future releases helps me contextualize these earlier ones. 7/10

Pacific Rat Temple Band - Wave Rave Pt 1 – Skelesand Extra-Earth Morph (2007)
>Phaser supreme. Some deceptively funky beats toward the end as well. I don't think this is as good as the other PRTB release but still worthwhile if just for the aesthetics. 6/10

I've never listened to Jimmy Ferarri so I dunno what the hype is about, but even this great undertaking of yours isn't exactly making me interested. So far, he seems like he's created "6/10: the discography"

do you have a rym my man?

Forgot from that Little Deuce Coop TV Dinners got a 6/10

Sky-Mirrorbalm in Preparation for Deja Vu - Prelude to Diminishing Forms (2007)
>Wow okay so this drone is bookended by two entire polka songs. Cannot begin to describe how weird and surreal that is. According to ya boi coconuts, James and Spencer used to accidentally record on old tapes and forgot to erase them first. Otherwise the music is very soft and understated and features what I imagine are instruments of the gamelan variety. 6/10

Peyote Cactus Rituals - Peyote Cactus Rituals (2007)
>Sounds primitive in more ways than one. It seems like there are 2007 JF sensibilities to be found in this release, but it also reminds me of HBCH or even The Skaters moreso than it does these newer releases. Thumping drums and tribal rhythms dominate, and I would not doubt that this is appropriate for a Peyote ritual. 6/10

Splash - Slippery Beach Trashed Gamelan (2007)
>I was only able to find two tracks of this album on YouTube. What I did hear was Lamborghini Crystal in near peak form. The vocals seem to be abandoned for a more complex array of instrumentation, and on one of the tracks an electric guitar intro gives way to a crowded soundscape. 7/10

Various Artists (Lal Lal Lal) - Lal Lal Lal Festival (2007)
>I was not able to find the full release but I listened to the skaters track. It is supposedly credited to the skaters but it sounds more like Teotihuacan. 5/10

I think you have hype for Ferraro if (1) you're into lofi/drone/hypnagogic pop/cassette culture or (2) you value concept in music. I was not at all familiar with (1) but I migrated to his music from vaporwave and was so intrigued by his worldview and curation of cultural debris that I decided to make the plunge. His output from 2009 is amazing in my opinion and you'll see some 9/10s in there.

Yes but I often get frustrated with the inconsistencies of my ratings so I stay away from it

VHS Radio 1988 / Lamborghini Crystal - Sky Divers Request / Cyborg Chillers (2007)
>To me this is a strange release that does not fit in at all with the rest of the Lamborghini Crystal catalogue. There are moments of hysteria and calm, and maybe even some residual pop music left over from the tape. One section in particular at the beginning sounds like Ferraro brought a Game Boy to record with him. I also have my doubts that VHS Radio 1988 is a real person. 6/10

The Skaters - Physicalities of the Sensibilities of Ingrediential Stairways (2008)
>This is the second most recent, and for me the best Skaters release. I'm not sure if I am more partial to this one because I've been exposed to so much more of Ferraro, but this one feels different. Each track feels unique 7/10

James Ferraro - Clear (2008)
>This is the start of a new era in Ferraro's discography. The relatively dark and atonal works of the past are abruptly replaced with melodic lofi drones. The first track is one such drone and is really remarkable how beautiful it sounds even in lofi. The other two tracks are more uptempo with some oddball beats. 8/10

James Ferraro - Marble Surf (2008)
>It seems as though this album has attracted a disproportionate ammount of praise in the same way that Dreams did. This record starts off with a vibraphone loop and gradually fills out with choral voices and celestial sounding strings. I'm not sure what it is, but this album does not elicit the same sort of emotional response that I got from Clear. Oh well, that's why Ferraro has recorded so much I guess. 6/10

James Ferraro - Discovery (2008)
>Honestly not particularly impressed. Not as spiritual as Clear and not as stimulating as Marble Surf. These three releases occupy a similar niche and to me this really seems to be the weakest. 5/10

James Ferraro - Multitopia (2008)
>Flat out strange. Lofi instrumental loops with recurring themes are spliced with snippets of Hollywood TV programs. I remember reading an interview somewhere about how Ferraro was obsessed with these shows at one point, in a purely ironic way I'm guessing. In any case I'm having trouble connecting the two disparate styles on this album together. 5/10

James Ferraro - Postremo Mundis Techno-Symposium (2008)
>The second track is actually very good with a mostly ambient/industrial feel. Again a bunch of trash tv snippets here, including one about psychic hotline. He also credits new breathing techniques in inspiring him to make this album; I honestly get a little concerned when I hear about people who purge/autoasphyxiate. I think david blaine suffered permanent brain damage from that. 6/10

K2 - Chameleon Ballet (2008)
>A paranoid mix of synthetic instruments and ambient soundscapes. Some really nice bits in this release and I look forward to the other albums under the K2 name. 7/10

I might call it for this chart

ran thoughts still pending

>Starsailor
>7
>Angedoniya
>6

Sorry, but that Yanka album was disappointing. It had an interesting sound, but it didn't really work with the simple song structures. Grazhdanskaya Oborona did that shtick better.

Also who tf gets Starsailor on their first listen lol

Just to recap, here are the albums that I gave a 7/10 or higher (aka I will keep all of these on my iPod and revisit):

Heavens Burst Creation Horizonz - Untitled
Teotihuacan - Live Smokeshows From Inside the Ciguir Cave Hazed Diamonds With Windswept Hair
Snake Figures Fan - Wheel of Heaven
Lamborghini Crystal - 1992 Cool Runnings
Lamborghini Crystal - Dial: 747 Creepozoid
Nirvana - Body Of Consciousness/Uguiya To Jeep By Iguana Greenwave
Nirvana - Malanyang Nirvana Safari
Pacific Rat Temple Band - Tan Kim (Boa Paradise)
Splash - Slippery Beach Trashed Gamelan
The Skaters - Physicalities of the Sensibilities of Ingrediential Stairways
James Ferraro - Clear
K2 - Chameleon Ballet

The maddening part of James Ferraro is the fact that he is able to put out so much music. Some of these albums I have no doubt he made in less than a day, but they are all (mostly) unique if only for the aesthetic they convey.

war flashbacks to being a name faggot on Sup Forums and not being suicidal

war flashbacks to posting in a name fag thread and complaining about name fags

Thanks for saving this list, I'd love to check out on some of these later

war flashbacks to people describing normal flashbacks as war flashbacks

that's right, a classic calendar
yes, I lazily tacked on the 31st instead of giving it it's own row
SO!
recs must be streaming on yt or spotify, not very long, and purple week means I only listen to purple albums that week.

let's go

template for anyone else with the cajones to listen to music all month

max tundra - parallax error beheads you

Babyfather - 419

rec me something sad /daily/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/麓健一/美化-bika/

youtube.com/watch?v=ObLcbAZIA_A

Human Remains - Using Sickness as a Hero
The Divine Comedy - A Short Album About Love

Human Bog probably has his best lyrics, they hit way too close to home

Thank you Will

I don't know which of these you've listened to and I guess all of them are on yt or spotify, so:
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - Strangers From the Universe
Natural Snow Buildings - Terror's Horns
Died Pretty - Free Dirt
St. Christopher - Bacharach

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/промышленная-архитектура/любовь-и-технология-_ljubov-i-tekhnonogija_/

rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/helena-hauff/obscure-object/

you techno boys should listen to this. it JAMS

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time
Blackout - Dreamworld

>Purple Week
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb

keep on!

updated, thanks for all your recs so far