/prod/ Comfy Home Studio Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.gyazo.com/d0762dff932d173e345a1d95e6a7c20c.mp4
clyp.it/baw4c4wr?token=21c6a9659433e14fdb371099c01fcc51
drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=1QC5aJk50LfxV7iiiDBrfcAeanMSw5ozx&export=download
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thats a comfy skin for ableton

when i put delay on in fl it affects every instrument how can i make it affect only one or several instruments?

Is multiband compressors worth it? Where are the best place to find exetremely good drum samples I checked and emptied /r/drumsamples but it sucked.

>buffer size
My tip of the day: Be extremely careful when using buffer sizes below 128! I used mine at 68 for a couple of months now and my delay got fucked up badly because it changed after how loaded my CPU was. Now i accept a 8 ms output and input latency.

send instrument you want an effect on to a mixer channel with the delay effect on it.

i.gyazo.com/d0762dff932d173e345a1d95e6a7c20c.mp4

Hey all, I'm the Max4Live dude from the last thread. Reposting some Max4Live tools I made and want to share just in case it helps anyone. I can also respond to most questions regarding M4L.

>The first is a reverb plug-in called TeslaVerb. I've used a lot of reverbs and I think this one actually works quite nice.

>I've included a verb ducking compressor that compresses the wet signal from the dry as I know this is quite common in mixing, especially with vocals. It's not meant to be a compressor on the dry *and* wet signal, it's just supposed to work with an already dry processed signal. It features dampening controls on the lows and highs and a width control. It's a very dense sounding reverb, good for long tails and also sounds great as a simple spreader to add more stereo information to a mono track. Here's an example of how it sounds with a moderate type of reverb: clyp.it/baw4c4wr?token=21c6a9659433e14fdb371099c01fcc51

>In order for presets to work properly, you need to copy dampening.json into the same folder as where you copy tesla verb from.

>software

Enjoy your flat, static beats lacking in dynamic range

>Next is a mid-side/stereo mastering compressor/limiter that I've called Compo. It features an independent mid-side mode, a stereo-link mode (in LR mode), and a limit mode (soft "tube" or digital clipping) with bit-depth quantization *if* you want to use it as a master plugin. Unfortunately I still need to work on gain markers, I know it would be nice to know how much gain reduction is happening, I will probably include this in an update if people are bothered by it.

Last is a multiband exciter plug-in called Disto. There is a low, mid and high section which you can determine the frequency passes for. There's also width controls for each frequency tier. It might be useful for sound design or adding a little extra HF excitement on a master. I've found that it sounds quite good on bass or just to add a little bit of extra grit to a vocal for example. There is 4 different "distortion" types- Regular overdrive "Odd", Rectified overdrive "Even", Bit-Depth control "BitD" and Sample Rate control "Digi". Drive control degrades the signal. Unfortunately I cannot figure out a type of relative gain control because the Overdrive type has a weird non-linear/non-logarithmic volume curve, so forgive me.

Download Link:

drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=1QC5aJk50LfxV7iiiDBrfcAeanMSw5ozx&export=download

that's fucking cool as hell.

cheers, going to grab the reverb and exciter.
wondering if the reverb is modelled after any particular unit?

dear friends of /prod/,

i'm a typical bedroom musician, i record psyche rock at home with my turbo-normal set-up and cute collection pedals

i wanted to expand my sound and get myself a synth. the thing is im coming at it as a total outsider, i could buy the thing and have absolutely no clue what it entails to work with one.

i was recommended the korg minilogue, which sounds pretty flexible and it only entails me saving up cash for the next few months.

what's a good synth for doing psyche rock type stuff? you know, loose trippy chords to fill up the ambiance in the background/cool organ type sounds.

i'm a bit reluctant to buy them used or like an older model (mostly because i looked for a while and didnt find any that wasnt like a million miles away, secondly because i just have a personal thing about buying used equipment -- not trying to justify it)

am i gonna get what i want or am i setting myself up for a world of confusion? have any of you used it?

thanks again family.

>what's a good synth for doing psyche rock type stuff?
You can do those with any synth.
If you don't know a lot about synths, get a MIDI controller and get softsynths.

what if im an idiot, want to buy a big expensive (well here's to hoping under 1k) and just dive in blindly?

Multiband compressors are the shit, try waves c6

Fun to use and optically pleasing, also a VERY GOOD sound.

Bad troll is bad

Why tho, hardware synths offer nothing more than softsynths. I wouldn't be having this talk with someone who likes to collect or with someone who knows what they're doing, but I will never understand people who don't know what they're doing and wanna spend a fortune on hardware.

well i mean here's the thing.

i've been recording for about 2~3 years now. i've been playing guitar as a teenager, but aside from that, every single thing i've just bought and then learned how to use.

hell, i even bought a mic before knowing that i needed a pre-amp to make it work. but you know, once i had the pre-amp and had everything hooked up, i started fidgeting with it and finally, slowly, i learned how to do it.

i guess it would've been more practical to start somewhere cheaper than just drop $150 on a mic and then $150 on a pre-amp, but it was literally the only way i could envision doing it: building the thing and then sitting in front of it in my underwear for weeks at a time figuring out how it works.

the whole time i had a rig to connect the guitar directly to the computer and record on simulated amps, but that never really gelled with me -- i'm irrationally suspicious of digital things.

i know none of it makes sense, i just really want a piece of equipment to sit around and learn how to use. i see it as the equivalent of what learning the guitar felt like when i was a kid.

Just get any synth and hook up some pedals to it for psychedelia

This, also theyre cluttery as hell

Any good Black Friday deals on synths/MIDI controllers/other fun gear?

I need help /prod/
My organ is dying

I gig frequently and organ has always been a part of my setup. I can’t run VSTs on a stage with a midi controller because that’s straight up retarded for what I do. I also need drawbars.

So far I’ve been looking at the Roland VR-09, which is oddly one letter off from my current organ, the VK-09. It seems to offer the most features for a good price.

Is there any other suggestions? I can’t afford a Nord, and the Reface is a toy.

Bose headphones, I have the quietcomfort 25 and they are the best for noise reduction