/Prod/

Dream studio edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2FMccwa-0vA
clyp.it/afxe55t4
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/videos
clyp.it/us3ftils
clyp.it/5u4ykpyi
youtube.com/watch?v=mut2yG80mPs
clyp.it/mcv03e33
clyp.it/mcv03e33?token=f4fc4333694b8c859cc30e967366cdd8
clyp.it/hnvu3pfy
clyp.it/5wp3jxtw
carvinaudio.com/blogs/guitar-bass-education/speaker-vs-instrument-cables-a-simple-guide
clyp.it/taw1r4d0
clyp.it/kkfx4hax
clyp.it/azlkkzp3
clyp.it/5ozzdvhx
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75693039/#75694532
clyp.it/a1b2x1vm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FYI boys all you have to do is copy/paste the OP to start a new thread. When a thread hits 300 replies it stops bumping, so please make one then and link to it in the old thread to stop them from dying. I have life (surprisingly) and can t be here 24/7 to do it :(

Daily reminder that minimum phase EQs are better than linear phase EQs

God dammit /prod/ we need to be better about migrating threads like /gg/ is

youtube.com/watch?v=2FMccwa-0vA

from 7:40 on , what is Richard doing? How the fuck can i achieve this "effect"

There's a lot to talk about with Aphex Twin, and in all honesty he most likely made that by making very accurate cuts into a full rendered version of his mix, but you can pretty much get the same effect by using a very fast square wave shape LFO on the gain

How do you guys organize your mix? I have a template made with 10 slots for leads, basses, rhythms, and FX, with a bus for each, and then a setup for superior drummer, as well as busses for individual drums (kicks, snares, hats, toms, cymbals, electronic percussion). The bass bus goes into another bus I call bass+sub, which just adds the sub part to all the basses, and this bus gets sidechained by the kick and snare. All rhythms, leads, and FX (also reverb sends) get sent into a bus I call sidechain, so they all then get sidechained to the kick and snare, and then I have a bus for all of the drums. These three busses then get sent into the master. Pretty much every bus has an EQ, Waveshaper, and compressor on it, so many of my sounds get compressed like 3-4 times

P much

Gotta bump the real thread, don't got nothin interesting to post though but clyp.it/afxe55t4 though I ain't done much since the last time, haven't found anything I want to add to this part and I don't think it really needs anything there, just needs more happening later on as well and some structure.

Reaper's a bit of a hassle to operate with everything in different windows and qwerty to midi needing a unique window selected to work and manipulating notes in the midi editor feels like I'm playing Operation and one wrong move and I've changed the playback position, changed the velocity, played 30 notes in chromatic descension, and changed the length of the clip.

I just want FL Studio but with customizable piano rolls for microtonal and also for it to not have Xen-Arts synths fuck up.

>Nothing but step by step videos on making edm
Get some composition info in there.

>12tone (Music Theory)
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/videos

Hey man I didn't make it I just copy and paste it. Someday I'll rewrite the whole thing or maybe make a pastebin with better resources

clyp.it/us3ftils
synthpunk demo and my first full song with the microbrute

got a new snare since recording this so im pissed but here's a rawk wip

clyp.it/5u4ykpyi

youtube.com/watch?v=mut2yG80mPs

what goin on with the vox in this? maybe double tracked and then flanged/chorus and panned??

I'm trying to figure out 6/8 time and I'm having a hell of a time of it.
I know 4/4 in and out. Four beats to a measure, four measures to a... verse(?), it's easy to align everything, etc etc.

I don't know how many measures there are to a verse in 6/8, I don't know how to make the notes align, it's all so strange

I tried writing something but it sounds super stilted to me
clyp.it/mcv03e33

Keep getting a 403 error? 6/8 just means the beat is in triplets. In a DAW, you have to either disable the gridlines or set them to triplets so that there are 3 notes per gridlines. You can double and half their speed just like normal. The beginning part of the song Foreplay/Long Time (aka Foreplay) is all triplets

Song is by Boston in case you're not into dadrock

clyp.it/mcv03e33?token=f4fc4333694b8c859cc30e967366cdd8

I forgot to include the token in the link, whoops

Ah, okay, I see what you're trying to do now. I'd suggest starting with 5/8 or 7/8 first (just like half of Money by Pink Floyd) because they're a little bit easier to feel out. Doing 6 like that is kind of weird. There's a video on YouTube somewhere of Mike Portnoy talking about how he likes to approach this stuff that might help you a bunch

Is 24 too late to start taking music production seriously?

Scarlett 2i2 or Steinberg UR22?

yes, no one has ever accomplished anything they didn't start earlier than 23
nut

If you were actually serious no but chances are if you havent already you wont delevop the habit

Used stuff bough through ebay auctions.

>if you havent already you wont delevop the habit
What do you mean exactly?
The habit of putting in the daily hours of grind, or the way the brain is used to thinking in terms of music production due to neuroplasticity?

clyp.it/hnvu3pfy

Is the panning alright on this? I wanted to give a fuller sound while keeping the vocals as the focus.

Also, I know you guys don't give a fuck, but this is the first song I've ever gotten to collaborate with someone on. I produced the beat/did the mixing and mastering, while a dude I met online did the vocals.

It's a really cool feeling.

What was the last time you got really giddy about a project you were working on?

Not production, you're probaly only fucked if you want to learn strings.

I live in a 3rd world country senpai. Buying new is my only option

sounds really good man! Even with headphones on it doesn't get too wide.

Fun fact: this is the first collab I ever made back in 2015. Wish we would've finished it but things got fucked up with our project files.

clyp.it/5wp3jxtw

:(

I put my music ambitions to finish grad school so I could be employable. now that I have a comfy job want to dedicate my nights and weekends into transitioning into being a musician. I also had to develop the discipline to work hard and now I have it.

no strings, just production. Mostly EDM, I want to be a DJ who plays shows and has my own music. That's the life I miss.

the beat is nice on this I like it! keep going man you're getting somewhere

Just torrent FL Studio and serum, learn a bit about compression and distortion and sidechaining and then go watch Rocket Powered Sound videos on youtube that'll get you quite a ways there

>no strings, just production. Mostly EDM, I want to be a DJ who plays shows and has my own music. That's the life I miss.
If you do it for the success, then you better be an extremely driven and business-minded person, because you won't have the artistic drive to create something artistically remarkable that will give you success.

That's what everyone means when they say "if you're doing it for the money you're doing it for the wrong reason", and most of the time they're right.

Anyone know how to use studio monitors?
I seen setups where they're both plugged in an interface like a Scarlett but idk if I have to do the same

Fast tremelo

look up peacheng tremelo vst

Yeah I have a scarlett 2i4 with monitors and just use guitar leads to back of it, whatever those jacks are

Tremolo*

That photo is living proof its never too late to do anything, there's lots of guys like that, 24's a good age to start because you'll be more focused you won't get as bored as a younger guy

You can use whatever you want for a sound source for the monitors, but if you are going to be working in a DAW, you will most likely be using the outputs of an audio interface

Are lsr305's any good? Been thinking about getting some new budge monitor speakers.

to the people that do vocals, how did you get more confident at it? I make beats rn and have been for years & they're quite good (have been told so to my face by larger artists & also have confidence that they are) and I want to start putting my own vocals onto them but the ridiculously large amount of times I've tried it they sound like shit. Because of this I haven posted anything new for months. I have 20+ songs that are finished with lyrics but I just can't get it to sound how I want & I think it's due to not projecting and not trying hard enough.

>how do I not sound retarded as fuck when i'm in front of a microphone

use melodyne like a fraud

Who's into industrial like Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson?

Any tips on getting clearer drums in relation to samples on hip hop tracks?

Look up vocal mixing tuts or pay someone to mix your vocals

carvinaudio.com/blogs/guitar-bass-education/speaker-vs-instrument-cables-a-simple-guide

you might wanna learn the difference between instrument cables and speaker wire my friendo.

Thanks I guess

It's not like a mega huge deal while you're using an interface and some monitors, but it's just in general good practice to use speaker wires with speakers and instrument cables with instruments.

I have a buddy who actually fucked up some nice amps and melted a cable like that rip

I don't know, I seen them for a 99$ and I wanted to get them

You can just use a TRS or XLR cable. Or a TRS to XLR cable

this is banging

somebody check these out and let me know if the mix is good enough and also give some ideas for how to stretch these out a bit longer
clyp.it/taw1r4d0
clyp.it/kkfx4hax
sounds good b, though I'd say you have the vocals mixed a bit high even as the lead element. Might just need to roll off some of the bottom end cause it sounds like it's conflicting with the basses a little. Mess around with it a bit, sounds like an iphone mic so your options may be a bit limited

For interpolate, add a sweet hip hop beat to it, it's begging for it. I could literally see either 808 kicks/snares with trap hats or a nice vinyl loop working extremely well.

For strange, I would say speed it up a bit and add a drum n bass vinyl loop over it.

The mix all sounds good, but you have no damn drums man!

Are the first two oscillators on the left only being effected by the LFO, or are all four?

Whats the best mic for lo fi recording? By best I don't mean expensive, just cheapness and quality.

It doesn't look like any off your oscillators are being modulated. The lfo is going to the filter and the envelopes are also going to it. This is just based on the cables on the pic.

Sorry, meant is the cut off being modulated for only the two oscillators on the left, and not all four.

hey /prod/

what's a good and affordable midi keyboard for someone just starting out and using reaper

some of those midi pad thingy recs would also be nice

thanks in advance

Launchkey Mini

do you know for sure it works with reaper? a google search shows people having problems doing this

Hello /prod/

Can anybody offer any critique on this track? I feel like it's a bit empty and i'm just too burned out at this point to really pin down what it is. Might be lacking in the bass department?

forgot clyp

clyp.it/azlkkzp3

Really beyond the setup I have I'd just like my choice of DAWs, a massive eurorack, more acoustic instruments, and a really great monitoring system and listening environment. And some nice hardware sweeteners like a pair of Distressors.

what reliable string and brass VST do you use?

I've been using DSK's for both and man I'm getting tired of all the problems

it be really cool with some funky bassline thats for sure

>clyp.it/azlkkzp3
yeah, maybe introduce a simple bass line at 0:08 and then make it funkier at 0:19

and holy shit man go easier on those guitars on the intro, they are pretty annoying

>Kontakt + NI horns session pro and one of the strings packs that's not action strings.

Cakewalk and Arturia

clyp.it/5ozzdvhx

Not anywhere near done. Bass is fucked, I know, should I scrap the distorted bass and use a more normal 808 or up the distortion?

No, you probably will get about 100 years old

If I understand how that attenuator strip thing on the bottom row is routed, and if there are no normaled (default) routing that aren't shown by the cables, it looks like only the left most filter is being modulated by the LFO, and only the furthest left oscillator is going through that filter.

Just to clarify this one - speaker cables are for use between an amplifier and its speakers (you'll damage your amp like if you use a guitar cable between the amp and speakers), you wouldn't use speaker cables to connect an interface to powered monitors like the ones these anons are talking about though, so is in no danger if they use guitar leads although they would lose the noise-cancelling benefits of having a balanced connection. Best to use TRS or XLR if you have the option.

why is the effects rack on the korg m1 vst so terrible?
do they just expect you to do outside processing?

Wtf are all those knobs for? I know about panning, EQ, Aux, volume that most mixing boards have for each track but what about these extra 20 knobs?

I think that it could be just bad but I find it pretty ok though

děkuji user, gotta go with them.

Because it's more or less an exact emulation of the Korg M1.

Scarlett guy here, yeah I'll do that

By this I mean how do I get my drums to cut through the mix?

subtractive EQ'ing and Compressors. If you're lazy use the full parallel preset in Abletons glue compressor.

Route (all) melodic elements to a bus on which you apply some funky reverb or anything and then you compress the drums

Funky reverb?

I want to copy autechre.
How hard and how fun is it to get into Max/msp

Oh this bloke, he wanted this music thing or something. Could you email him? Cheers I said you would.

Akai MPK Min

I've just bought a Keystation 61 and it's made me appreciate the smaller midi keyboards much more. £120 down the drain.. I'll still use it for pads and stuff, but if you can't actually play piano then a small keyboard is gonna be much more preferable, especially if you're in a small room like I am

>How hard
10/10

>how fun
10/10
(unless you're a brainlet, in which case 1/10)

Np brother.

>fell for the JBL LSR305 meme
I returned them. Do you guys have any advice between Focal Alpha 65 and the Neumann KH120a? Been reading up on this shit for weeks and presonus, adam, genelec, eve etc. is out of the question. These two should be the grails.

I'm in

Start with Max For Live to get your feet wet and build little practical things (as in something you'd actually use in Ableton) to learn how the platform works.

As you think of a feature you want to implement, google how to achieve that result and try to make it.

After a while you'll have a solid knowledge of the blocks and how they work.

It's not terribly difficult and overwhelming as it does when you're starting out.
The 10/10 difficulty is just matching their level.
If you aim a bit lower it's still manageable in one lifetime.

I don't even have ableton
I'll just read tutorials and see what happen

Thanks for the feedback. Some people told me to go for a bigger one right away but I wasn't too sure about that. It's not like I have a lot of space.

Also: did you ever use the Launchkey Mini? Were you ever able to compare it with the Akai MPK Mini?

(or does max for live works for other things than ableton ?)

You're probably not even here anymore, but I have a Launchkey Mini linked to Logic. It takes a little effort, but it does map to any DAW. The pads are streamlined for Ableton, but they do work for other niche things within your chosen DAW.

Like, my pads only work for Drum Machine Designer so far, which is fine by me because you can drop whatever you want into DMD.

Just do some research and feel around if you end up buying one.

>I don't even have ableton
rbt.asia/mu/thread/75693039/#75694532

>I'll just read tutorials and see what happen
Your choice man.
I just think using it in Ableton would be much easier, since it takes care of a big part of the process already (you can make instruments, audio effects, and midi effects by just dragging the appropriate "default" empty device into the timeline and editing it, and it will already be wired into Ableton, so you can easily use whatever audio, midi, external meters, etc).

>does max for live works for other things than ableton ?
Not that I know of.

Post some essential vst-core

>Like, my pads only work for Drum Machine Designer so far, which is fine by me because you can drop whatever you want into DMD.

have you tried setting the MIDI IN channel on the other plugins to channel 10?

Okay man i'll take your way as a backup plan when i'll be overwhelmed by the complexity

how do I make something like that with the ableton operator (automatically shaping an lfo)?

>clyp.it/5u4ykpyi

this is pretty nice, your voice is pretty good

Any thoughts on this track i made?

clyp.it/a1b2x1vm