Synth Talk

Any other synthesizer lovers out there?
What kind of gear do you guys have?
I typically play on Roland synths and use newer equipment but I have some money to spend on some vintage synths
I already have good electric piano sounds but I wanted some genuine old brass sounds
Thinking of buying something like this:
ebay.com/itm/Korg-Z1-Vintage-Synth/192371542623?hash=item2cca3cca5f:g:DyEAAOSwC-tZ97Qk
Or maybe this: ebay.com/itm/Casio-CZ-1-Synthesizer-Phase-Modulation-Synth-Fully-Programmable/302537236867
Or maybe the JX-8P
reverb.com/item/7313848-roland-jx-8p-vintage-analog-synthesizer-1980-s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FQwWVUqTNk8
soundcloud.com/donsolaris/casio-cz-1-track
youtube.com/watch?v=nUjc2RXhR80
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have a Gaia. It's neat. My dad has played keyboards and keytar since the 70s.

I own a Moog Rogue and a Univox MiniKorg K1.

I love the Rogue, but its old and beat up.

Why hasn't anyone made some sort of multiple stored voltage eurorack module yet? Pressure Points + Analog memory is the only thing close to that I've been able to find.

Reminder if you buy digital synthesizers you're a complete pleb wasting your money.

I'll add to this: if you buy hardware synthesizers instead of soft synths, you're completely wasting your pleb dollars

But hybrid synthesizers are objectively superior to both.

Gotta agree with
If you're gonna shell out a lot of money on hardware, either go full vintage analog for the Real Thing or go for some crazy space age digital thing like pic related (what I own and LOVE) and just run it through expensive software. Imo at this point, unless you're looking for stage gear, the hybrid stuff is nothing but trade-offs in the grand scheme of things.

the rise is kind of shitty

How do you like the Rise? I wish I could try one out because they look really interesting.

question: can microkorgs still be cool

I'm considering getting a synth for Christmas. Any suggestions on some beginner friendlly ones that are not too expensive??

Yes, but the keys suck on it. Mini keys are the biggest disservice a musician can do to themselves.

>Or maybe the JX-8P
i have a JX8P and I wouldn't recommend it honestly
it does good strings and pads but other than that it can't really do anything too well, everything has a weird metallicy sound to it
and it's tedious as hell to program, not fun to use at all
I bought it about a year ago and after a few months i went back to using VSTs, probably gonna try to sell it soon cause it's just collecting dust

maybe look at the ms2000 or the casio cz5000 if you want something in that price range

what are you planning on using it for?

The casio cz-1 is a good first synth
it can get a wide range of sounds and programs easily
youtube.com/watch?v=FQwWVUqTNk8
soundcloud.com/donsolaris/casio-cz-1-track

it's easy to use**

>I'm considering getting a synth for Christmas. Any suggestions
Yeah, get a real instrument

Hammond Novachord

I have been looking at the Korg minilogue for my first synth. Any other recommendation?

Just bought this bad boy
Getting ready to buy a digital multitracker instead of DAW software
>come at me

its fun, but not a big thick sound.

Cool dude. Burn me CD when you're finished

I have a JX3P and I've heard the consensus is that the 8P sounds thinner in comparison. Have you had any experience with the 3P? The 8P does have the second envelope, which is what appeals the most to me

Hey bois, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but not to sure where would be best. Just need some opinions on a project because I know jack shit about electrical shit. I was thinking of combining a simple as shit oscillator circuit, with maybe a distortion and low pass filter and then making a drum pad + stick that completes the circuit when struck so i have myself a cute lil synth kick sound. maybe make another one with a higher value capacitor + more distortion too and reverb(going to use a guitar pedal for the verb because of my ineptitude). would there be any problems a relatively shit solderer would run into with this/ would this maybe just sound like straight arse and b pointless?

If it's in your budget, the Korg Minilogue is a really good beginner synth.

I'm torn between the MS-20 Mini and the Sh-01a, which one should I get

ugh why?

that's not generally how a drum circuit works

MS-20

I got an EDP Wasp a few months ago

Not him, but if you're implying you want to "upgrade" from the 3P to 8P don't do it, the two have nothing in common except for the name.

the 8P is shit in comparison to the 3P or Alpha Junos

Ill add to this: if you buy softsynths instead of pirating them you are wasting your money.

fuck off

I have a JX-03 and I actually really like it. It sounds great and is really versatile for the money. My only two gripes I have with is is that I can't send velocity over midi ( you need that shitty keyboard add-on) and the knobs really are so tiny. Still, I prefer having something physical in front of me to interact with rather than clicking with a mouse.
I also have an ms20 mini and can't recommend that thing enough. For a beginner it is the perfect first synth. Right now I'm trying save up so I can buy a eurorack case and a few modules.

The pirated ones sound bad though. The pirates can't/don't preserve all the bits, which results in poor sound quality.

i use a yamaha pss480 which is kind a toy but has 4 operator fm synthesis, a drum machine, and bass accompaniment, along with an arturia microbrute

pretty great setup for lofi synthpunk

I've personally been looking for a good synth to use in this vaporwave track I've been working on. Any suggestions?

I've been mirin' a korg volca fm as my first synth
Any opinions on it? Should i look for something better?
I want bleep bloops but i want space-y sounds too, help me out here
youtube.com/watch?v=nUjc2RXhR80

Could go for a D50 or M1 for that late 80s/early 90s vibe.
I like using FM for vaporwave stuff too, something like Dexed or FM8. I'll tend to varispeed it when I'm tracking. So I'll increase the global tempo of the track, record the synth and then bring the tempo back down to give it that slowed down, formant shifted sound while still matching the original key. Depending on your DAW, you'll need to set your clips to elastic audio/repitch etc

Planning on buying my first synth this Christmas, the ms-20 mini. I wanted a monosynth, mainly for weird sound effects and basslines, and also something that will be useful when I want to start transitioning into modular when I have more money. Is this a good idea? I know it's hz/v and that will make it a little hard to use with modular but I can't find another monosynth with as good of patching capabilities on its own as the ms-20 for the same price. I'm planning on getting a rev2 for chords/leads after that and then maybe a nice delay pedal. Thoughts?

Rate my current setup. Finally happy with it and feel like it covers all the bases I need it to.

hahaha dude where's that flac copypasta when you need it

not bad, but kinda boring.

>not enjoying the fuzzy digital sound of pirated vst

i love my tiny babies!!!

Dude are you retarded lmao

>Or maybe the JX-8P
totally glucose

i posted this in a similar thread the other night.
what i have in my studio here at the moment are-
waldorf blofeld keys
roland sh101
roland jx3p
yamaha an1x
yamaha sy1
korg ms20 mini
korg triton le
korg volca kick
arturia minibrute
logan string melody II
farfisa soundmaker

thats the hardware
software is usually u-he, tal, arturia, xils lab, d16 group

post grails

Its fun getting all this gear but all you don't need a whole menu of stuff, each to their own but its a tragedy if after ten years you have a room full of gear and no songs done or don't perform or anything

>tragedy
Not really. That’s like saying people that collect guns wasted their money if after ten years they never got to shoot anyone with them. I enjoy the beauty and craftsmanship of a quality synthesizer and can get lost for hours just making patches that I enjoy. Even if I had no finished tracks after ten years but still had spent hundreds of hours soundscaping which brought me joy who is to say it is a tragedy?

DSI Poly Evolver
Waldorf Micro Q
Casio HZ 600
Yamaha SY77
Two goofy Kurzweil Midi modules

Want to start a eurorack

The Z1 is a good synth. Lots of sound making potential with the options you get. Aoki Takamasa gets all of his sounds from a Z1 Supposedly. I'd go for a Z1 before a JX 8p, but they have different sounds so it's just a matter of what you really want.

>t. never owned any hardware
Digital hardwares sound completely different from soft synths which all sound 98% identical. Whether this is because of the old shitty algorithms, the shitty DAC, or some components in the output section, it's a fact that you will get sounds out of a Waldorf Q, a Casio CZ1, or any other vintage digital hardware than you will get out of a soft synth.

DCO's can be analog. Digitally controlled does not mean digital sound source.

is it plebeian to use the presets on fl studio?

Everything is pleb if you make bad music with it. Nothing is pleb if you make good music with it. Just not likely you'll make something really good with shitty sounds is all.

polyevolver, micro Q, sy77... heres a man with taste.
wish i could afford a polyevolver. fuckin great synth.

and heres a dude who knows fuck all.
you know DCO is analog right?
and digital synths like the waldorf stuff, yamaha stuff, roland d50 etc etc are all awesome

Stop using synthesizers as a fashion statement. No one on your social media thinks you're cool for posting pictures of the synths you dick around with. If you make some good music, they'll care. But other than that you look like just another manchild playing with his toys. You're not a synth head, you bought a synth and sometimes spend hours twiddling some knobs.

STOP FETISHIZING THE FUCKING GEAR YOU TODDLERS

Why Sh101 and Alpha Juno?
Sell both and buy Juno 60

Same with Reface DX and the TX81Z, seems redundant

Can someone explain to me why synths have gotten so popular in the last couple of years? I feel like every nu male I know is "getting into synths"

Because I don’t want a Juno 60. The Juno sound is tired. Alpha Juno at least has some character. And you’re not getting the SH-101 sound in anything that isn’t a 101. As for the FM synths they’re nothing alike. They have their own character and the Reface has a god tier keybed that I’d never get rid of.

bro
Juno in mono sounds 95% the same as the SH-101, how can you say one sound is tired and not the other?

and the Reface and TX81Z are literally the same engine, the only difference i'm even aware of is the converters. do you even know what you're talking about

they got cheaper

synth music was my first love, there, boyo. mained metal for most of my life, but there was always a place for good ol synthahol. that shit'll fuck you up.

this
more choice for less money.

>95% the same
I’m not some idiot that just got into the hobby yesterday. This is so dumb. You’re arguing bullshit about gear I own. The Juno isn’t a 101 plain and simple. To argue that it’s close enough is stupid. Same with the FM stuff. If t was redundant to own both guess what: I wouldn’t.

you're fucking retarded m8 lmao

those feel like shit to play on imo

I've owned or played all that gear except the Reface, nice job avoiding my points with that gearslutz-tier argument tho

my dream synths are:
obxa
rack dx100
nord lead rack
ensoniq asr-10
and then really just a ton of samplers and sequencers

Then you’re not very smart. Suggesting to get rid of an alpha Juno and 101 to get a boring ass Juno 60 because it comes close enough to both? Get your ears checked. I’m not avoiding your points, you’re just not presenting any even worth considering.

how can you say junos are overdone and boring when sh101 has been done to death 100x more?
and what's the point is keeping the TX81Z over the reface when they have the same ops, algos, and waveforms?

Not really sure yet, probably just make some music with only synths. Just for fun, nothing serious
I have a guitar but I'm pretty terrible at it
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them!