/Obscure/

The purpose of this thread is to share albums or artists that are not as widely known or talked about on Sup Forums. There are many artists of all genres who more than likely have material of equal substance to that of much of what are traditionally acclaimed to be "classics" on Sup Forums and other music circles, but are little known and therefore are not often brought up or are overshadowed by discussion of better known phenomena.

Share personal favorites that you feel seldom get attention or even any recent finds. There's no real "wrong" thing to post here, so long as the artist isn't commonly known of.

>this thread isn't for feeling good about yourself for liking your super cool elite music

This is a really neat band that's been around since the 90s called Vas Deferens Organization, a lot of interesting experimental electronic/krautrock-inspired stuff but they go all over the place. They've made music (including an EP) with Ariel Pink before and they are friends with him. This specific release was with Brad Laner, who is from Medicine and Savage Republic and has done a bunch of projects of his own. Probably their most well known album thanks to scaruffi but it's actually pretty legit. This album has some members from Mercury Rev featured on it too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt6zqLoPs0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FjXGJBguO5o
youtube.com/watch?v=SGW2GdH4fPs
youtube.com/watch?v=9MiuqyWVQ44
youtube.com/watch?v=rmZKVOaTc68
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wouldn't call them obscure but I've never seen either Moonshake or Laika talked about on here

If this album comes out in 2013 it goes top 20.
Fuck, I love La Roux but seeing Elly fade into obscurity is one of the hardest things I've witnessed as a fan,

La Roux is legit, I remember that one big song from a few years ago but La Roux has always had something interesting about them

This is in the same league as Loveless and Souvlaki

bumpniggers

some nice user made this chart in a /psych/ thread for me a while back and I've been listening thru it.
so far my favorites are The Golden Cups - Super Live Session and The Third Bardo - Lose Your Mind

Interesting, need to check these out, thanks user

Interesting indie band from either the late 90s or early 2000s, found them from a compilation CD with Grandaddy and Modest Mouse and Duster on it. Nothing amazing but a solid listen.

I'm surprised pic related is not a cult favorite on places like RYM. The "russian SAW 85-92" description is extremely apt.

youtube.com/watch?v=FjXGJBguO5o

>obscure =/= good

>mfw most kids on this board haven't grown out of their embarrassing "listening to obscure music is patrician, not completely autistic" phase

I thought we dropped this hipster shit in the 2000s? Why are you all still doing it? When will spergs learn you look fucking ridiculous and not cool at all? By all means, feel free to be a walking stereotype.

You must be so cool for listening to nothing but Scaruffi-core and the latest p4k hype album user.

I'm making this thread because a lot of the music I end up listening to is lesser known, but this is not something that is on purpose by any means whatsoever, and I would just like to have a platform to talk about some of it. By no means do I think I'm looking "cool" or anything at all for doing this, my ego is the last thing on my mind.

You're not better than me just because you listen to this type of stuff, you fucking hipster.

that sounds a lot like projection

Great folk album,definitely worth a listen
youtube.com/watch?v=SGW2GdH4fPs

Did you read my fucking post? I’m not fucking better than you in fact I’m probably worse for listening to “””obscure””” shit just since it isolated me even more and makes me over-critical of shit.

I know nothing about this but it looks cool as shit, thanks user

Tell me what do you think of it.

yw, another guy made this chart which is also pretty good.

Wow I actually own this on CD they sent it I think with a vinyl i bought from em. I listened to it like 5 times at least

I need to check out Parson Sound, haven't gotten to that yet

I don't really know my way around what is or is not well known? Where would Azarchel fall?

The way the chart maker judged obscurity was rym ratings so I'd say that's a decent enough way of telling how well known something is

So what's a high or low number?

less than 1k ratings is lesser known, obscure would be something like no more than 300-500

Then how about Panic by Zzebra? When I got it from the record store, the record store guy called it Yacht Tub music. Not sure what it means, but after a couple listens, it seems accurate.

this has got to be bait but just in case you're a genuine dumbass: did you even read the op post? do you seriously believe that the limited sphere that Sup Forums and the industry at large celebrate are the only instances of quality, worthwhile music?

Hoopy Frood is a psybient-electronic-rock(?) band I found recently that I fell in love with, and it blows my mind how overlooked they are considering how good the music is (less than 30 ratings on RYM). If you like Shpongle and Pink Floyd you will almost definitely like them (that's not to say those are their only influences though). I would say Indigo is the better of their two albums but they're both really good.

>Yacht Tub
what does that even mean

Oh fuck forgot about this, a former friend showed me this once. Kramer is legit, guess I should check out the other two too

youtube.com/watch?v=9MiuqyWVQ44

Not that obscure, but much better than Talk Talk who are constantly talked about. "Hex" as really stood the test of time to boot,

>In 1992, Bark Psychosis released a hugely acclaimed landmark single called Scum. This was an ominous, 21-minute ambient piece improvised and recorded live in the band's "home" of St John's Church.
>Scum experimented with the use of space and extreme dynamics, with music that varied between minimal jazzy chording, airy acoustic drums, clamorous noise guitar, space-ambience and random vocal snippets. "Ninety per cent of it was recorded live and then there was a few things. Vocals, some piano, some ambient guitar, a few different samples and stuff. The first three-and-a-half minutes of it was actually just the ambient mics left up. We had recorded a few different takes of things and those distance mics were just left up from a previous jam."
>Regarding the sudden bursts of indistinct speaking voices that punctuated the single, Sutton noted that "that was just a found thing at the church. On one of the nights we were recording there was a Pentecostal meeting going on in the back room, so we sort of sneaked up to their door and just tape-recorded them because it sounded so brilliant."

Mulatu Astatke

Cool Korean shoegaze group a girl told me about like 4 years ago when I was still in high school and I was bandwagoning on all of the popular music trends and whatnot
It actually is legit though, I need to check it out again sometime

saying that bark psychosis is "much better" than talk talk is ridiculous and contrarian when both are really similar and especially considering talk talk was years ahead of bark psychosis.

what compilations of singles and EPs are the best ones to check out from them? I can't tell because from what I can see all 3 of them each have some individual tracks that are unique to them but a bunch of repeating ones across them as well, so I don't know what to check out first.
Listened to Hex slightly and enjoyed it enough, really should seriously reexamine it though

fun fact, one guy in Bark Psychosis was an original member of Disco Inferno

Andy Shauf is a singer/songwriter that i absolutely love. hes a chamber pop/folk artist and a lot of his songs have this really nice melancholy to them. my favorite album of his is The Party, but heres a really nice song off of his second album, The Bearer of Bad News
youtube.com/watch?v=rmZKVOaTc68

Speaking of Disco Inferno the singer from them has some solo stuff on his bandcamp that continues the same kind of sampling style, DI is probably better but this is at least interesting for any fan of them and worth checking out. He has a decent album and a half-decent EP that are very comparable to Disco Inferno's stuff.

Oh fuck I've actually heard this

It's not like super amazing or anything but it's surprisingly solid