Björk - Utopia

Now that the dust has settled,
what does mu think

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-reviews-noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-bjork-and-more-a8070121.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

björk more like börk

>having "now that the dust has settled thread"
>before the album has even been released
kek

>kek
>2017

>2017

Very good 9/10

Loss is the only track that anyone will remember in 5 years.

6/10, Arca ruined it

translation: "bjork's own lack of good ideas ruined it but i need someone to blame"

No, I agree with that as well, but Arca's production definitely didn't make it better, it made it worse.

Pretty meh. Starting to not enjoy her singing and while this isn't identical to Vulnicura I don't think it's as different as she was leading people to believe with her interviews.

someone post link pl0x ;_;

my aoty personally

Can't believe she still hasn't ditched that hideous accent

not that good desu
It's just okay

When is she gonna release her blackstar?

More like I want to pork her.

Right before she dies. shell be fine

>he wants to pork the bjork
be careful lad

First half: 10/10
Track 7 onwards: 6/10

haven't even listened to it but already i wish it was a 50 minute album desu

Those rolled "R's" are especially cringeworthy because we know for a fact that she didn't always talk like that.
Bjork is kind of amazing for getting so many "intellectuals" to accept affectation as authentic.

Fwiw I'm about as much of an intellectual as you can get (multiple college degrees, extensive background in classical/avant garde music performance and theory, speak 5+ languages, active on the technical side of the fashion industry) and I positively can't stand her.

It's not that deep lad it sounds good
Oh yeah, please get me pregnant you absolute genius

it just sounds pretty cool and she knows people like it. not exactly rocket science

I wanna pork old (present) bork
youtu.be/fzrhxAdC5K0

Making something to sound a certain way-in-particular is always inferior to a one-gestured act of expression. Bjork has forgotten this since possibly Homogenic.

Explain this? I'm trying to understand, but I don't quite catch your drift. (I am a brainlet)

>inferior
How?
Everything is manufacted to sound as good as possible.

>Making something to sound a certain way-in-particular is always inferior to a one-gestured act of expression.
what is singing?

Manufacturing to sound as "good" as possible, is what strangles the most charming and distinct elements out of the music. Bjork has just been crying about I don't even care what for three albums in a row, when she is (or perhaps was) capable of more interesting things.

Different user (author of ) Yeah. See, that's the problem. It's all affectation. I actually quite like avant garde/experimental music (I wouldn't be so involved in making it if I didn't.) But there is GOOD experimental and BAD experimental. Good experimental music builds a strong emotional through-line using new/unusual sounds and sound combination techniques. Bad experimental music just throws new/unusual sounds and sound combination techniques at you simply because the artist can. Intellectually speaking it's actually the simplest form of music out there, and it's how Björk's Music tends to come across with things like those abstract consonant elongations she seems to throw in practically at random.

whatevs trevs

see

You made the point that good experimental music elicits an emotional response. So surely the fact that bjork's music affects me emotionally means it's worth something, and not just bad experimental music because she rolls her tongue as an "affectation"

You can like whatever you want. I think that her rolled R's sound contrived and very cringe.

You may find it cringy but personally i don't think it's very contrived. she is icelandic, so rolling her Rs is actually what's natural to her, which would make it more contrived for her to not roll her Rs. she still and always has rolled her Rs in conversation. and anyway, at the end of the day it works well with her voice, feels very natural (because it is) and it's sort of become a trademark, people like to hear it.

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-reviews-noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-bjork-and-more-a8070121.html

>gave noel gallagher 4 stars
>gave bjork 1 star

kek

That same guy gave Sam Smith 4 stars
He's not to be trusted lad

they make some good points desu
obviously don't agree with the one star, but they address a lot of the same complaints i have with the album

literal 10/10

>good experimental music elicits an emotional response.
I sad that good experimental music builds a strong emotional THROUGH-LINE. Any old sound can elicit an emotional response. What makes music (experimental or not) truly good is when the artist chains together a series of sounds in a way that the accompanying emotional responses GRADUALLY transport the listener mentally from some point A to another point B. Which imo is what this latest album of hers so egregiously lacks.
Those outlandishly rolled consonants are a perfect mini-example of this. Going strictly by what you hear, there doesn't seem to be any particular reason for her doing it at all at any given point, other than because she can.

>she is icelandic, so rolling her Rs is actually what's natural to her
Perhaps if she were singing in Icelandic - which she isn't. Doing it like she does while singing in English just makes her sound extremely affected.

Just listened to vulnicura in anticipation
Fuck I forgot how good it was