Why do people hate these guys? I've never met anyone that liked them...

Why do people hate these guys? I've never met anyone that liked them. The only person that told me anything about a "why" was this music buff guy who said something along the lines of "it's shitty music for pussies." But I still like their music and I don't get why they're bad. Can Sup Forums enlighten me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/diNi6F4usCM
youtu.be/IkFBOd4YN60
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I honestly don’t know anyone who DOESNT like these two. Bridge over troubled water and wednesday morning are both excellent. Maybe you’re just talking to contrarians.

I think if you put on one of their songs, no one would stand up and turn it off- people just dislike them because it's something to do

I love them, but then again, I'm more than twice as old as most of the folks who post around here. Paul Simon is one of the great lyricists, and their harmonies are otherworldly. Bookends is my favorite, followed closely by Parsley, Sage . . . But all of their albums are classics.

>music buff
>its for pussies bro

Imo they're the worst kind of trash. Unlikeable but not to the point of hating them

Early 30's?

maybe the people you know hate drugs, cause i don't see why anyone would dislike them. they are like ccr

today is a good day for mu, opened it up nd saw elliott smith and simon&garfunkel on the firstpage

They ((Paul)) wrote great sings but there was just something effiminate about them.
Very upper class NY Jew rock. People that fashioned themselves as intellectuals really loved this group.

Bridge Over Troubled Water and Graceland are two of the best pop albums of all time.

Who hates Simon & Garfunkel? What?

They've an uncool reputation, probably due to songs like "Bridge Over" being pure granny rock. People who subscribe to that view probably never gave a serious listen to "Keep The Customer Satisfied" or their other solid cuts.

"The Only Living Boy In New York" is one of my favorite songs

this. young people think it's dad music. try finding a fault in "bleecker street" then come back

Bookends is their best

SOOOO LOOOONG, FRAAANK LLOYD WRIGHT

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR SONG IS GONE SO SOON

I BARELY LEARNED THE TUNE

Whew lad, they had like four good songs, but any of the others most people would run to turn off

op is lying doesn't have contact with anyone irl

Bridge Over Troubled Water
Mrs. Robinson
The Boxer
Cecilia
The Only Living Boy In New York
The Sound of Silence
Keeping the Customer Satisfied

I'm not that guy but I'm 31 and I like Simon and Garfunkel.

... Am I really 2x the average age of 4cucks

>yfw there are people who think Disturbed cover of Sounds of Silence is better than original

That cover is just so fucking bad idk how anyone can enjoy it

>Why do people hate these guys?
I have never met someone who hates them.
Sounds like you're just hanging around assholes.

Yup. Plus I'm a teacher, so a lot of these threads remind me of work.

This

Very few real people hate S&G, I mean if you're hardcore into music you will probably eventually come to the conclusion that there are better things out there. The issue is that S&G's music had this air of "perfection" to it that feels somewhat undeserved, for example the air of drama about songs like "Bridge over Troubled Water," "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme," "The Dangling Conversation," or "The Boxer" are a little much.

If I were in 1966 and I'd just gotten the new Stones, Byrds, Beatles, Who, or Mothers album, I might then put on S&G and think it was a bit weak. I don't actually think that, but I can see it.

Not to mention, compared with what Simon did later on, much of S&G feels nascent.

What is noteworthy of Paul Simon's later discography? I'm asking sincerely. I've only listened to Graceland.

His self-titled and There Goes Rhymin' Simon. Rhythm of the Saints is like an OK follow-up to Graceland, his very last one was also really good. I haven't heard everything he's done solo.

I personally really like them.

I don't see "I Am A Rock" on that list

Hitler gassed the wrong people

I haven't listened to that version, and because I'm a masochist, I'm going to give it a listen.

You'll need a virtual hug
You'll see why after it's all over.

>destroyed Piano and Guitar in the beginning of the Music Video

I'm already pissed but I'll keep watching

Alright I was already in a bad mood before watching this but goddamn I need a virtual hug.

Oh my god the ending is getting even worse.

Theyve stood the test of time very well. Idk anyone who dislikes them

Only people with shit taste hate Simon & Garfunkel and/or Paul Simon. The man's a fucking genius and Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and recorded.

Fuck yeah

They're great.

There some interesting progressive studio experimentation on the last two albums that they never get credit for. I've always thought the reason is they did it too well.

This is the best example, if The Beatles had managed this people would still be talking about it now:
youtu.be/diNi6F4usCM

And what about that trippy break-down in the middle of Faking It?

I think at the time people thought Paul Simon wasn't as "real" as Bob Dylan or something, although we obviously know now he is a paragon of authenticity compared to what is basically a Woody Guthrie tribute act.

Thanks, I needed it

Some might find them boring because they play very conservative folk music and no psychedelic stuff like the other 60's bands were doing. I don't know anyone who actually hates them though.

The recording is amazing, the way Art develops the vocal over the verses is just brilliant.

Thats the perception but its not really true.
youtu.be/IkFBOd4YN60

This. No edge or angst. Just Beach Boys fun rock pretending to be something deep.

It pains me to say that the cover has more youtube views than the original.

Love that song, underrated one.