Are p4k reviews satire?

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5118-frances-the-mute/
They gave Frances the Mute a 2/10 and wrote a review that, if meant to be serious, only raises concerns about the mental health of the guy who wrote it. Also their highest rated album ever is a literal Kanye West album.
Please tell me all of this just has to be tongue-in-cheek

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5931-heathen-chemistry/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kanye West > The Mars Volta

That being said P4K is awful and targeted towards "progressive" hipster millennials.

>Kanye West > The Mars Volta
>Kanye West makes music that is actually better than the Mars Volta
nice meme

pitchfork hates TMV, honestly can't blame them

Kanye's worst album (graduation, a 7/10) is better then the best mars volta album (Deloused, 6/10)

TMV is extremely overrated

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5931-heathen-chemistry/

No comment

if you're gonna troll at least do it somewhat subtly
Oh man, that q&a format is so cringe. Who the fuck came up with that

>Mars Volta
>extremely overrated
>Kanye West
>not extremely overrated

I'm not trolling.

I'm quite serious about this my good man.
Deloused is also the only TMV album that's above a 5/10.

I'd rather to listen just about anything by Kanye, fuck, even songs just featuring him, than most of the trite shit TMV puts out.

see for a summary of why you're trolling

>you share a board with this kind of hipster trash

I find most critics have a fairly healthy level of ratings relative to Kanye, although critically, Graduation is slightly overrated, and Life of Pablo is underrated.

But, both on Sup Forums (as an overall, and not individual basis) and in real life, at least in the past 3 years, Kanye gets much more backlash.

Whether it is from those such as OP who listen to wank like TMV all day, or Top 40 listeners who only like mumble (c)rap and trap.
Still not trolling.
I'm 100% serious.

Kanye is my 2nd favorite artist, and for good reason.

This is the guy spamming Memerap threads all day and unironically has a Radiohead album in his top 5

>wank
>"I hate music and only listen to artist as a fashion statement"

>Top 40 listeners who only like mumble (c)rap and trap.
Kanye has been top 40 crap since 2004. The only reason you derive any quality from it is cause you're a sheep unable to think fir yourself.
Example A:
>wank

I do listen to Kanye too sometimes, but really, saying it's better and less overrated than TMV is just delusional

>their highest rated album ever is a literal Kanye West album

He agreed to do their concert tour series for those reviews, otherwise they threatened to give him bad reviews.

>aIso

T R A V l S T A N

Well, then, that's just your shit taste. And also the fact that everyone can tell you haven't given The Mars Volta discography a chance because you're sweeping like nine albums under the rug, while
>Graduation is slightly overrated, and Life of Pablo is underrated.
Wow, thrilling stuff. You can tell a lot of critical listening is going on here with Kanye fans.

I wonder why the hell de-loused is in the "p4k-core" part of the Sup Forums essentials chart

>Top 40 listeners who only like mumble (c)rap and trap.
>Kanye West
>Not Top 40

I'm not even that fond of radiohead.
OKC is a solid 9/10, but would make my top 40 at absolute best.
I ignore all generals, too full of memes and not enough actual discussion.
I love music my man.
I try to listen to at least 1-2 new albums a day if I have the time.
But there's very little about TMV that is even slightly appealing, at least to me.
Not saying everyone has to share that opinion, music is subjective after all.
But in my opinion, they haven't done anything worth much praise.
I'm not saying Kanye doesn't get any hit songs by any means. If you look at his sales, you'll actually see that his first 3 albums sold the most by a significant margin (coincidentally they're all his worst albums, again, still not bad though).
Just because something is top 40 doesn't mean it's bad, but people who ONLY listen to top 40 obviously should be exploring music a little bit deeper.
Also, considering most of Sup Forums, at least certainly this thread, seems to disagree with me about Kanye, I would say that makes you more of "sheep" if anything, wouldn't you agree?
Thinking in such terms is pointless however.
What other people think of artists/albums has 0 impact on my enjoyment.

I don't let shitty reviews, or critical praise, determine the level of worth I get out of a work.
I let the music speak for itself.
To each their own
I've listened to 4 TMV albums, but, given the fact I haven't enjoyed them, I see no reason to delve any deeper than that.
Meanwhile, I enjoy every Kanye album, so obviously, I've listened to his full discography.

I see no reason to seek out music if I have any kind of inclination to believe I won't like it.
Which, I primarily base on my own genre interests, and more largely, Artists in general.
I like stuff from an artist? Wow, I'll listen to more.
I don't like their stuff? I'll give a couple of their stuff in shot in case it's just a one off, but if after several albums I find nothing appealing to me.

I think that when you compare P4K to "credible" reviewers in other mediums, they are decentish/more in touch

fight me

So you admit you have shit taste?

read
>durr music is objective
Music (and all art) is a subjective experience.
You're free to believe I have shit taste, such an opinion is scientifically possible to have as given the laws of the universe.

But that's all it is.
An opinion.

Having opinions about other peoples opinions is fine, but discussing such things is absolutely bloody pointless.

If you like TMV, that's fine, I don't care for them at all, but I am also capable of realizing different people like different things in music, because I am actually capable of critical thinking AND realizing people are different, and can have their own point of view.

Because, you know, I'm not autistic.

>Mars Volta
>in my opinion, they haven't done anything worth much praise.
>Kanye West
>puts the pussy in a sarcophagus

Their lateralus review was so full of impotant soyboy rage.

Pitchfork is a vehicle for major labels to sell pop music to pseudo-woke hipsters.

If the only way you know how to disagree with someone is through meme text and photos, you're really not worth the trouble.

But, this one time, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and actually give you a reply. Should you wish to discuss further, I encourage you to use words like an adult.

Obviously there's a level of technical proficiency to TMV. I'm not saying they can't play their instruments or anything like that.
But their music has never made me feel anything beyond ambivalence and slight annoyance.
And for me, music is more about the emotional response I get from it, not the technical proficiency everyone has in their respective position.

Having both is even better to be sure, but ultimately the way the music makes me feel is more important than how experimental/original/technically good it is.

As for that Kanye lyric, nice cherrypicking.
All artists have their faults, and Kanye is no exception, especially lyrically.

That being said, while I don't think that lyric carries any emotional weight and isn't thought provoking, it's very memorable, and the delivery is good.

Personally speaking, I'd rather have lyrics like that in my songs, memorable if immature, than pretty much any of the TMV's lyrics.

If given the choice between two set of lyrics, and neither of them makes me feel anything, I'll damn near always go with the one that can at least provide amusement & is easy to sing/rap along to.

>I am actually capable of critical thinking
>you know, I'm not autistic
>music is more about the emotional response I get from it
>ultimately the way the music makes me feel is more important
I would respond normally but you keep handing it to me. You can't seriously proclaim that you value emotional response over everything and then say you're capable of critical musical thinking. The Kanye discksucking isn't helping you.

Now you're just saying stuff that isn't true.

I said critical thinking (in regards to discussion and the viewing of what art is), not critical music thinking.
The latter of which is meaningless, if the only reason you listen to music is for the technical aspects of it, you aren't truly enjoying it as a work of art should be enjoyed (in my opinion).

Music is art. And art is the expression of human emotion and experience, both from the artists point of view, and also them trying to share certain feelings and thoughts with the audience.

I do value emotional response over everything.
Good or bad (I don't mean a dislike, but rather positive or negative feelings, such as sadness).

Whether through lyrics, melody, or other various facets of the music, the emotional response music can give me is superior to all other reasons for listening to music.

The very very best music combines both this emotional response, and technical proficiency.
But if I had the pick between the two, I would always pick the former.

If you don't like Kanye, that's fine, I'm not saying you have to. But I'm not going to say these I don't believe as true, from my own point of view, if it's impossible for you to remove my enjoyment of his music from playing into your responses.