Language Learning - /lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
russianforeveryone.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=lO-u-efN_9k
fundeu.es/consulta/aqui-ahi-y-alli-701/
wikilengua.org/index.php/aquí/allí/ahí/acá/allá
udep.edu.pe/castellanoactual/alli-y-ahi/
bol.com/nl/p/edda/1001004010970833/
nl.wikisource.org/wiki/Edda
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

More pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/ (Do people use this to learn langauges?)
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

French feels very discouraging. A language with a vocabulary this familiar (knowing English and Spanish) shouldn't be this hard to understand in it's spoken form.

Portuguese but being lazy and dumb keeps the progress slow.

You don't have to be smart, languages mainly require time and immersion.

French phonetics are a bit fucked up senpai

Bump. Guys don't let the thread die

For Japanese learners is Genki1 & Genki2 good to get a solid base for the language that can be expanded on?

This, except Italian instead.

This, except Spanish.

I keep hearing that, but, I'm pretty stupid.

Being lazy is your detriment bro not because you are dumb

t.dumbo

Estou a aprender portugués
I am learning Portuguese

What's a good source of introductory grammar for Russian?

I've been using Duolingo and Memrise but they really only seem good for vocab. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I feel like grammar should come before vocab. What's the point in knowing hundreds of words if I can't actually form a sentence with them? I mean, outside of the basic sentences I memorize from Duolingo not because I understand grammar rules but because of repetition.

I am learning German

Can someone help me find a cartoon? It is in Germany, and it is about these tin soldiers or a tin army. They look like a puppet show

je te reconnais des fils /fr/

est-ce que t'es un americain en grece ou quoi?

meme pour moi en tant que ricain il est vraiment difficile de comprendre les francais lorsqu'ils parlent dans la vie reelle

I really wanna go ape and do 6 hours a day for a week, but have to finish this other course first.

which language?

esperanto the master language

reddit, pls go

Mind telling me why I should actually bother picking up any new language in general and for what purpose? Finding a native speaker that would be willing to practice with someone as much autistic as myself is barely doable.

>russianforeveryone.com/
check it out

you need to be a weeabo about a new language. making new friends is stupid

if you like animu, be weeaboo
if you like german heute show, be germanaboo
if you like soap opera, be spanishaboo

Is this excerpt correct ? If not, could someone please correct me ?

"Sto imparando anche l'italiano. Non sono sicuro di essere pronto per parlare con altra gente, ma apprezzerei il suo aiuto e in cambio, mi farebbe felice di aiutarsi!"

>interpals.net/ (Do people use this to learn langauges?)

not anymore

found it

youtube.com/watch?v=lO-u-efN_9k

What is the best way to meet a native speaker willing to practice with you?

>I keep hearing that, but, I'm pretty stupid.
What's your biggest struggle when learning? Something specific.

>Mind telling me why I should actually bother picking up any new language in general and for what purpose?
it's not about "should", it's about "want".

Using apps and language exchange meetings, besides meeting people irl are the ones that first comes to mind.

>meeting people irl

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT REAL LIFE FRIENDS
NOOOO

where should i start to improve my english grammar?, i need to stop feeling insecure whenever trying to type

tried out duolingo with their new Japanese course
complete fucking garbage, no idea why anyone recommends the site

hard to take such a comment coming from a speaker of one of the ugliest fucking languages ever spoken

Grammar. Knowing when to use alli versus ahi like that other guy, hacer, what the fuck vosotros is, sois, etc.

Vocab. I'll be told a new word, try to memorize it, and immediately forget it.

I'm using Pimsleur, Duo, Lingvist, and Memrise.

you only need to learn english, all the other languages are completely redundant

The Japanese one is known to be the worst they have

And about French, what I said it's true. Regardless of your opinion on Dutch

Practice: read more, write more, review it, then search for the specific rule.

not true

remind me when more than 5% Americans will be able to actually speak a language other than their own

Languages carry a lot of social implications in every country, this means power relationships, intimacy, social adaptability and many other things. Not speaking a specific language in a specific location and culture can and will be seen as a disrespectful attitude, causing uncooperative behaviors and even offenses from the cultural group.

shut up Erasmus

I'm glad President Trump will stop giving gibs to those shitty muh study abroad faggots

I have no interest in living in your shit country with your shit ideologies and shit costumes, I'd rather keep risking my life in Brazil until I can go somewhere decent.

"allí" and "ahí", which btw, both go with an accent on the letter "i", are adverbs of place, used to indicate different degrees of proximity to the speaker or the present.

>allí
means "en aquel lugar" and it's used to designate an indeterminate place. In certain occasions, it can mean "entonces, en tal ocasión"
>Aquí hay rosas, allí hay claveles.
>Allí hicieron la obra.

>ahí
Means "en ese lugar o a ese lugar" and also "en esto, o en eso", "esto o eso"
>Dejó los libros ahí.
>Ahí está la dificultad
>Por ahí puede conocerse la verdad.

TL;DR
In order of closeness to the speaker they go like this:
aquí > ahí > allí

aquí=este lugar [close]
ahí=ese lugar [meh]
allí=aquel lugar [far away]

Los lugares que designan aquí (este lugar), ahí (ese lugar) y allí (aquel lugar) están muy relacionados con la situación del hablante y su percepción de la distancia: aquí indica el lugar en el que está el que habla; ahí, un lugar algo alejado, y allí, un lugar más alejado.

I'm pretty sure my post is very confusing, sorry, I'm a bit busy right now

fundeu.es/consulta/aqui-ahi-y-alli-701/
wikilengua.org/index.php/aquí/allí/ahí/acá/allá
udep.edu.pe/castellanoactual/alli-y-ahi/

no, helped a lot.

thanks a bunch

I can speak hebrew and french as fluent (i'm native in french), and english as a level intermadiate.

Thank you

>I really wanna go ape and do 6 hours a day for a week, but have to finish this other course first.

I've tried in the past but unless you are already fairly high level (high A2-B1), it's hard to find enough stuff to do without simply spinning your wheels to eat up time in my experience.

Is it safe to say that the amount of valuable practice time increases as you get more advanced? Like to start you have to take it a bit slower (less hours per day) than once intermediate?

It's about having fun. If you're looking for practicality, you're set with only English. You could still post in x language forums and whatnot and communicate with natives in that way.

Swedish.

Not an issue for me, already know a bit.

well said.

Non, je suis grec. Le problème plus grand pour moi c'est que la plupart du temps quand j'écoute des mots que je ne connais pas, je peux pas trouver comment ils sont écrits. Ça n'est pas un problème avec l'espagnol (mais avec l'anglais si parfois).

vosotros = you plural (you guys)
vosotros sois = you are plural (you guys are)
(only in Spain)

It's more of a problem with English not having a plural you, a lot of other languages have it. Honestly since you live in the US you shouldn't even bother with properly learning this form just be aware that it exists.

>It's more of a problem with English not having a plural you

Southern US dialect has y'all

just sayin

I've learned a tiny bit of Russian.

Am about to take a course in Mandarin. Not out of love for the Chinese, but for a job. I hear the Chinese are pretty fucking dodgy, so it sounds like fun.

Once I've mastered Mandarin, I may learn Cantonese, or finish learning Russian. But I don't intend to stop there.

Fuck off we are full

I wouldn't live anywhere else from here, also

kys

That's their loss, not ours.

There're also brain health benefits for those who can speak fluently at least two languages, being bilingual is very good for you, specially on the long run.

I'm going to become fluent in a dozen of them. That's my goal.

very well said and articulated

You're welcome, if you come up with more doubts or anything just post them in the thread

>brain health benefits
are those bigger if the third language is finnish?
or does one become a spurdo?

Probably yes, because the more difficult the language is for you, the more brain gains

Really?
I'd have assumed the opposite, the lower your level the more you have to learn and practice. The higher your level the less you're "learning" and more you are "polishing" what you know, isn't it?

I've found that when you're a beginner, you have a ton of content you could learn and there is a lot available for beginners. As a more advanced learner, the resources become scarcer and you become confused on what to learn next. Structure is more difficult to achieve.

As a very advanced learner, it becomes easy again. You can just use native content to polish up everything.

It's the intermediate stage that's the worst, and probably why most people give up.

>vosotros = you plural (you guys)
>vosotros sois = you are plural (you guys are)
>(only in Spain)
>It's more of a problem with English not having a plural you, a lot of other languages have it.
Thank you.

>Honestly since you live in the US you shouldn't even bother with properly learning this form just be aware that it exists.
I moved to Miami (hence wanting to learn Spanish) so there is a hodgepodge of culture and language, but the primary one is Cuban. My friend from Spain warned me that if I learn to speak exactly like the Cubans, if I travel I'll come off as very ghetto-improper. He used the analogy of someone speaking English who is from the hood. I want to speak Spanish that is respectful if I travel or speak to someone from Spain. I thought it was just in the slang, which would be easier to be careful of, but my friend from Spain implied it was wider than that. So really not sure what to do. I'll take your advice and just be aware of it, but a lot of the practice material like Lingvist has it.

>remind me when more than 5% Americans will be able to actually speak a language other than their own
I'm not completely defending my fellow Burgers, but, some of this is due to geography. I lived in Germany for a short while and the time it takes me to get out of my state by car, in Germany I could be in another country speaking another language. We also get lazy, even as international business people, because so many people speak English. It is sort of a default for conducting business. If that wasn't the case, I think a lot more of us would be more motivated to learn other languages.

That said, I know quite a few people - including myself - who are eager to learn new languages.

I took Spanish in high school, and I wanted to learn it. But, where I lived there was literally no one to practice with without really seeking them out. I'm a bit older too so the Internet wasn't quite as developed. But I just didn't see any benefit to practicing or keeping up with it as I had no real life opportunities to speak it or have it benefit. Big mistake, as now here I am trying to learn again and I've forgotten everything.

Hmmm, I see, thanks for your input.

Which ones?

What's your level, Sup Forums?

>English C2
I got the C1 maybe 10-11 years ago and I'm thinking of C2 maybe this year. I have no use for it, but it'd be cool to have it.
>German B1
I hope to reach a comfortable B2 by next spring.

Also I've fooled around with several different languages just for fun, so they're probably A1, but that's just, you know, nothing.

does lingvist teach European Spanish?

Is there a difference between imperfect subjunctive 1 and 2?

I mean are 'fuera' and 'fuese' different?

No but fuese is used less often

C2 in Dutch and English, B2 in >Esperanto, B1 in Swedish, and A2 in Japanese and Italian. I really should stop spreading out my learning over so much languages

>C2 in Dutch
>flag
Hmmm

tenks

Not learning Jap myself but almost everywhere Genki is recommended.

If you are a native speaker doesn't that count as C2?

>tfw brainlet who can't trill r's

Is there a worse feel?

A2 Finnish

onu diyor zaten

genelde anadilini bu sıralamalara katmazsın diye biliyorum

nope

does it not? I assumed it did. I'm 15/16 parts Dutch anyway, and Dutch is my mother tongue

That A1-C2 classification is for foreign languages.
Your native language is just "native", it's presumed you're speaking it at C2 level.

Yo nederlanders can you help me? I'm looking for the poetic and prose eddas in nederlands. I already found the prose bol.com/nl/p/edda/1001004010970833/
, however I would also like the poetic edda.
Amazon is preferred site.
bij voorbaat bedankt

actually it doesn't even have to be a site, just a good translation for namesake is fine.

So you don't count them in, I see.

it's not necessarily a brainlet thing, I was born with a palate problem and I can't do them either
>tfw I have that in my surname
>tfw they're important for my first language and the language I'm learning now (finnish)

I don't know a version of the prose edda in Dutch, but you can find the poetic edda on wikisource
nl.wikisource.org/wiki/Edda

as a note, there's some pretty archaic word usage in there, but you probably expected that

New York has you guys as effectively a singular pronoun.

Of course, and yeah I always forget wikisource

Anyone needs help with Russian?

Any of you experience with immense exposure to a language without learning it?

I don't know man

But I know for sure I like rolling my R, I always have, ever since I was a kid, and even today I'd randomly roll my r and change the speed to hear the different sounds

>tfw learning Esperanto just so I can claim to be trilingual

Hmmm... What exactly are you on about? Expat in the Netherlands that doesn't know Dutch?

aĉulo