ITT: that album that wasn't your AOTY, but could be someone elses if it were more popular

ITT: that album that wasn't your AOTY, but could be someone elses if it were more popular.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qdZYhTfb6r8
strangeranger.bandcamp.com/album/daymoon
youtu.be/X2IiGWfc_GY
youtube.com/watch?v=OMYsQfonus8
youtube.com/watch?v=WqZzFvONbIs
youtube.com/watch?v=HBUOLNgQ-qU
youtube.com/watch?v=C2prmi8RfOY
youtube.com/watch?v=L6Ad8KVYzBY
youtube.com/watch?v=MU0ALUZxuqA
youtube.com/watch?v=Aot6WmtAssM
youtu.be/qc2RJ5UaMgQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't remember this album getting much discussion, but I could be wrong. Either way it's Homeshakes best album so far.

This is actually my AOTY

Listened to this album in the background and didn't think much. Is it worth an actual revisit?

Getting into this album was a little weird for me. First I only regularly listened to one or two songs from it, then a couple more, and so on until I ended up liking the whole thing. Call Me Up, Timing, and khmlwugh are my favorites though.

Same, Most Perfect Gold is so perfect

saw rozwell kid live 3 times this year and they got progressively better each time

Fresh Air ages well over time. I think once the dust well and truly settles people will rediscover how good it actually is and how well crafted the tracks are.

However, I definitely prefer his dynamic meditation cassette which I was unaware of until a few months ago. It's a wild ride. You should check it out if you haven't already.

youtube.com/watch?v=qdZYhTfb6r8

I saw them with TWIABP and The Hotelier and they blew both of them out of the water

Their bandcamp still has 11 records left out of a 500 pressing count. strangeranger.bandcamp.com/album/daymoon

first time i saw them they opened for Jeff Rosenstock and it was almost perfect

Never heard of it until now, i think I'm going to check it out though. Seems like something right up my alley.

Their other stuff as Sioux Falls is also fantastic

youtu.be/X2IiGWfc_GY

Good song to start off with if you're not sure about tackling the whole album.

Are their other records worth checking out? Never listened to em apart from that show

On Hydration Is Key so far and I really like it. Reminds me of Death Cab before they kind of got shitty around the era of Plans.

Any other bands like this you'd recommend?

Not same user but I'm guessing you've probably been through all the early Modest Mouse stuff?

I haven't found too much like them but some of the other bands in that scene are Mo Troper, Alien Boy, Cool American, and Snow Roller. A couple members of Strange Ranger play in some of them.

>Not same user but I'm guessing you've probably been through all the early Modest Mouse stuff?

Yeah, I've been through most of their discography outside maybe one or two of their newest albums, good rec though.

>I haven't found too much like them but some of the other bands in that scene are Mo Troper, Alien Boy, Cool American, and Snow Roller. A couple members of Strange Ranger play in some of them.

Cool, I took these names down and will give them a listen. It's funny, I have these moments where I discover a band like Strange Ranger and realize I missed out on what feels like an entire scene, and then I go down the rabbit hole of similar artists/bands with shared members and find a whole bunch of shit I like.

Thanks anons, for all the shitposting that gets done here, threads like this are proof that Sup Forums still shows people new music that they will enjoy and has productive discussions now and then.

OP here; try a few of these:

youtube.com/watch?v=OMYsQfonus8
youtube.com/watch?v=WqZzFvONbIs
youtube.com/watch?v=HBUOLNgQ-qU

yeah Too Shaby has got some really good songs too but I think Precious Art is stronger overall

I know the feel, I've lived in the area for years and had no idea that any of these bands existed till like two months ago. Luckily most of them are still churning out new stuff, I just checked out the new record Mo Troper put out and it's really solid stuff, very different than ST tho.

I think the last TWIABP album I listened to in full was Between Bodies, was their later work worth checking into?

Whenever, If Ever was my favorite by them though.

I found elvis depressedly on here years ago and got everything up to New Alhambra from bandcamp for free before apparently they stopped giving them out. Mathew Lee Cothran's Failure was also pretty good.

The New Year I think I found in a /slowcore/ general thread when those were a thing, good band.

You have good taste in music user.

If you liked BB, you'll probably like Harmlessness. Worth a listen at least. The rest depends on how much you enjoy Harmlessness.

If you want some more general recs on my part, here's some:

youtube.com/watch?v=C2prmi8RfOY
youtube.com/watch?v=L6Ad8KVYzBY
youtube.com/watch?v=MU0ALUZxuqA
youtube.com/watch?v=Aot6WmtAssM

Followed all those on spotify and more from this thread so I don't forget. Thanks for the recommendations. I've been wanting something new, similar to the style(s) of music that have been recommended in this thread and you've all been great.

Daymoon is up there with some of the better albums I've heard this year back to your original post. I'm glad you made this thread, I probably would've missed this and all the other recommendations from it.

2017 has been a pretty good year for albums, despite the usual shit you hear. Makes it hard for the good stuff that isn't everyones' AOTY to shine. Figured some recognition could be useful.

It's hard to find some of the hidden gems when you haven't paid as much attention to stuff as you did in prior years.

Platforms like Bandcamp (and subsequently Spotify that pick a lot of those releases up) contain so much content that it's hard to keep up sometimes with stuff that often goes overlooked due to underexposure unless you find a thread like this or some other discussion.

Absolutely. These music scenes promote and cultivate a specific audience that it's difficult to expect the albums to become more widespread sometimes.

Pinback is also a good rec.

youtu.be/qc2RJ5UaMgQ

There is not a bad song on this album and the old tape recording interludes fit perfectly

Anyone who loves pop music will love this album. You can ignore all the Poppy youtube stuff, too. The songs are insanely catchy and her voice is nice

Good recs.