Hi guys

Hi guys,

I just sold my first beat for $40. I was afraid of high balling it and losing it, but the way he responded made it clear I lowballed myself pretty hard.

How much could I realistically be charging for this beat to laymen?

soundcloud.com/evanbrill/dolphin-man-sneak-preview

lol, what kind of rights did you give up?

its not finalized were talking about it right now, which is why i need to know ASAP what kind of price range im working in.

the beat is still unmastered and the sale is agreed upon under the understanding that ill finish it

And I'm certain that you paid full royalties for all those jazz samples you used, right?

haha wtf someone actually paid for this?

the piano doesnt flow well with the beat

jealousy

yeah ill pay ahmad jamal when he comes and sues me for it :') stop pretending to know what youre talking about before you embarrass yourself more

Kinda shit desu man. I'm surprised someone actually paid money for that.

I have to download the sound cloud app just to listen? Fuck that shit.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it; we really can't help you there.

>the beat is still unmastered

wow you fooled me! those terrible drum samples just blend right in with the mp3 artifacts from your shitty jazz rips

>and the sale is agreed upon under the understanding that ill finish it

good god

meaning you're going to agree to produce his shitty song for 40 dollars. don't.

make sure you retain an equal share of the publishing rights to your collaborator. your haha 40 dollars should be an "advance on royalties". you're not going to be able to afford to hire a lawyer at this point, but just find some dumb contract from one of those beat buying sites and copy it.

good lord.

i dont think you understand the level this is going down at lol, this will never be officially released, its just some guy fucking around hence why im not worried

im sorry you have so much pent up anger?
how does a person respond to this

i appreciate the dubs but could you indulge me and show me what you know what you're talking about? it sounds like you used a lot of sample work in this song, and the idea of profiting off of someone elses work seems sketch at best to me.

also this beat isn't worth $40. It's good, but it's not that good. i'm pretty sure your arpeggiated synth part towards the end isn't properly in time.

i guess if i was in your shoes, i'd take whatever i could get and keep working. if someone thinks its worth $40, how are you going to justify it isn't?

Well then can you put it on YouTube?

OP priced it at $40

oh, then in that case, sure, i guess. i don't think you lowballed yourself at all, and i hope that doesn't come off as a backhanded compliment.

adjust your swing on the hats man, unless you like that stiff choppy sound. a tad inelegant, but if thats how you roll....

40$

do you have a tat on your face that says uneducated bitch?

Not bad at all for a first beat, but I wouldn't worry since the beat overall is a steaming pile of dog shit to put it nicely. Just take it as a learning experience, so that when you actually do make decent shit you won't get ripped off.

take the money op, a lot of people don't even get that far. if nothing else, you'd build a relationship with the guy, hopefully he'd buy more in the future

That hi hat sounds like garbage, is too loud and should be a shuffle.

how is it dog shit? people call it shit on here but never say why

See & for one example

for starters...

are you even a musician at all?

do you actually know what swing is?

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

christ, i dont know why i waste my time on here lol. well thanks for the plays anyway, i hope you guys find joy in music again one day!

tru dat

lol
i enjoy music so much i can hear your swing is off.

go listen to a fuck lot of jazz friend

>i dont think you understand the level this is going down at lol,

clearly I don't identify. I'm a professional musician. I made more than 40$ gigging at malls when I was 14.

Listen to this guy

>Just take it as a learning experience, so that when you actually do make decent shit you won't get ripped off.

Get your shit together now.

It's actually pretty hard to get totally ripped off, look at that dumbass who made the panda beat, he got ripped off of youtube and still probably made a million or so.

Sample clearance on Ahmad Jamal would be challenging.

>I hope you guys find joy in music again one day!

>implying your garbage passes for listenable music

You shouldn't be selling beats with uncleared samples you fucking thief