Are they right? Is Morrissey's public persona making us like his music less?

Are they right? Is Morrissey's public persona making us like his music less?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3qgn1Rc0YJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mibfRl_TTHw
youtube.com/watch?v=8Z13FURjttI
reddit.com/r/morrissey/comments/7f5agz/the_morning_after/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I heard one of the new songs on the radio this morning, the one about the girl on stage. It was definitely Moz, but it seemed like Moz lite, none of the old oomph to it.

His political beliefs make me like him more but the new album is ok

Woooooowwww, apparently pitchfork is as trend hopping and disinterested in music itself as they say.

desu his music has been bad for a really long time already and now finally his public persona finally caught up

t. morrissey fanboy

no that album just isn't good. p4k writers are garbage

>public persona having any impact on a creative work
fuck these faggots

Why don't they just come out and say they're rating it low because he doesn't support Israel. That would be more respectable.

Btw I'm the one who wrote that review

He does support Israel though

It's my album of the year

>Jewish
>named after sodomy

i mean, morrissey seems like he's pulling a kanye and saying all this shit around the release of his new album for publicity, but also pitchfork is trash, so it's like shitting on piss

So he is admitic he enjoys the mudic from that album, but rates it low cause of Morrissey's persona... Don't they know about separating the art from the artist?

This is a very good album of his, his politics actually improved the listening experience because he's actually saying something different. Much better than World Peace and You are Quarry.

When was he ever Mr Personality?
He always been a twat

They're likely misinterpreting his public persona anyhow. But to answer your question, no they're wrong, unless you're about image over music.

I haven't gotten around to giving the new album a listen yet aside from hearing my father play it. I wasn't fond of World Peace much though, so I'm keeping my expectations low.

he's been doing that for decades on top of that, it's just that it's not cool with p4k's current audience.

I find it strange when reviewers use outside influences to so obviously taint their critique of something.

It's not exclusive to music of course (movie reviewers may be even worse) but I distinctly remember how some former Pitchfork write ripped Pitchfork to shreds over this. They gave The Disintegration Tapes (an album I do like) a very high score, with the review making a whole paragraph out of the fact that Basinski watched the footage of 9/11 over and over to help him develop the music. But the tapes predated 9/11 by many years and Basinski's story was almost certainly total bullshit to help him sell an album he had little musical faith in - indeed he even put a photo of 9/11 on the cover. They can't make this note and then claim it didn't positively influence their review.

He's the wrong color if he wants his opinions to be ignored when it comes to his music.

its funny how they're annoyed enough about morrissey's opinions to rate him low but gave xxxtentacion a higher score when he was literally arrested for committing domestic abuse and sexual assault

which before any Sup Forums types latch onto any sort of subtext i believe is more about pitchfork's trend-hopping and desire to fit in and generate hits rather than anything to do with the respective artists' races

If you don't believe Pitchfork overlooked it in part due to his race then you're the deluded one.

uh huh

>white man says something that doesn't toe party line
>explicitly rate the album lower

>black man is a literal rapist thug
>j-just s-seperate t-the a-artist

>PLEASE DON'T READ ANY SUBTEXT IN THIS

lol mmhmm

uh huh

Please don't make him think nor defend his stances.

The album is fucking great and I don't need some jews online who make a living making basic observations to tell me my own opinion. If you rely on these people you should be banned from ever listening to music again.

mhmm

Morrissey is garbage withour Marr.

youtube.com/watch?v=3qgn1Rc0YJ4

Yee

1st 6 tracks are fucking solid desu

The weak tracks 4 me are

in your lap

All the young people (shit production in here. Much better live imo.)

Who will protect us from the police ( i like the music, sounds Bowie-ish desu, but kinda weak lyrics)

youtube.com/watch?v=mibfRl_TTHw

Stupid claim desu

I mean Solo Moz discog isnt perfect like smiths, but he still produced classics and great songs in his solo career.

Viva, Ur Arsenal, and Vauxhall are all quality albums.

Fair observation, his voice in I Bury The Living gives me proper shivers. It's the same level of disgust he hasn't had in a song since Meat Is Murder desu

>I bury the living

Prolly my 2nd or 3rd fav from the album. Most dont like the lyrics, and i can understand why, but i think its powerful. The 'honor-mad cannon fodder' part is great desu, got shivers too when i heard it for the 1st time. Also that song is prolly Jessie Tobias' best.

Also didn't mean to list Home is a ? to my weakest tracks here , ayy

Its obviously my fav

I really liked All the Young People, but yes the first half is the better part of the album. Home is a Question Mark is my favorite followed by My Love I'd do Anything For You which is a god-tier opener. It sounds almost like a Bond theme. I kinda wish Moz had released it as the first single
youtube.com/watch?v=8Z13FURjttI

>I Bury The Living
My favorite part of that one was the outro
>Funny how the war goes on without our John, without our John, la la la la la la la

TOMBS ARE FULL OF FOOLS

WHO GAVE THEIR LIFE UPON COMMAND OF HEROIN HEROIN HEROIN HEROIN

And yet Marr is less than garbage without Morrissey.

LIFE IS A PIGSTY

Rude

WRONG

funny how the war goes on...

without our John

What did he mean by this?

THAT WASN'T THE JOB I LOVED
right in the feels fucks sake

im still pissed they took ducktails off of spotify

I wouldn’t say garbage but without marr he’s just kind of your standard pop singer

Isn't it somewhat to do with the way the artist frames themselves though? Eminem somehow avoids p4k condemnation but Morrissey being an indie hero ('traitor') and having a more traditional package makes him worthy of scorn

Is he going for the Jimmy Neutron look or some shit?

So it isn't okay to be slightly to the right of the publication, but beating and sexually assaulting your girlfriend is okay as long as you "Frame yourself" as scum like that? I mean, it's harder to make the point with Eminem, because then you just get into fame and politics, but still. It's absurd.

SJWs always blast white musicians for their lyrics or personal lives but then blare rap music that talks about how they hate “faggots” and refer to women as solely “bitches” or “sluts” and the artist beats women unironically then they give the album a 9/10

how do you ironically beat women

Lol

so you have no argument against it?

I agree with a lot of what he's saying these days but the music on this album is really meh

He's going for the Lincoln look actually

this guy is literally a Sup Forumstard though

Fug u

Its at least 7/10

No but he is a fucking memer who has posted on Sup Forums before.

He's just a stoner Vidya gamer. I doubt he has the brain power to form a political opinion

> when you try to sjw 2017 style on a singer from the 80s

You are correct

Also anyone who dislikes Morrissey can go suck an aids infested cock.

I’ve seen many shores
I hug the land, but nothing more
Because I haven’t met you

He's a staunch Israel supporter

these days I like that he's a troll more than I like his newer music

Fag

pitchfork are smiths fanboys though lmao

The best of Morrissey, the most emotional and nuanced work, is obviously behind him. The album is marginally better than World Peace, although it has a horrendous album cover. All the Young People is my favorite from it, a different style of sound for him. Girl from Tel Aviv is the worst.

I do like the common thread through the album that as people are largely tormented by government and authority, they should (and do) just live their lives for what they love and give no respect to presidents, military, media establishments, etc. Very truly Moz.

As for Pitchfork's bullshit rating, they sacrifice any pretense of a real review by being more concerned with things external to the music itself., although I must admit, this isn't Moz' best.

to be fair you need a high iq to understand politics, let alone Sup Forums

Agreed

if net neutrality gets repealed i hope isps throttle pitchfork to the point no one can access it

They openly advocate against that.

>horrendous album cover
Not a shota fan I see

you realize Sup Forums is much more likely to go down if net neutrality is ended

Let's be honest. Who can actually do that with someone who is in the public eye? Listening to some obscure 70's record is different because there's likely little interviews or limited picture of the artists.

Not me. I like it more, actually. This is his best overall album since Vauxhall for me, aside from a few singles here and there.
My Love I'd do Anything for you - great opener, reminds me of Viva Hate's in a good way.
Spent the Day in Bed - grew on me.
When You Open Your Legs - great song
Jackie - ditto
I bury the living - great song, a worthy addition to the morrissey 'long song' cannon

the rest of the album is pretty solid, but it's more of an overall listen for me if i'm going to check those tracks out. his voice is so awesome now. shame that he's being buried by the media, brainwashed fucking beasts.

And this climate... see below (TRIGGER WARNING):
reddit.com/r/morrissey/comments/7f5agz/the_morning_after/

>Sodomsky

SEE THE EFFECTS OF SEXUAL NEGLECT

separating music from the artist isn't a rule, it's a preference