/daily/ - Almost As Big As Fantano Edition

The point of these threads is to influence the next generation of music listeners and artists by determining what is ‘cool’ and what will get re-released by modern music labels. We do this by posting small paragraphs that no one reads about music that no one has heard, and harbouring some of the most important modern Internet critics save for maybe Fantano. For example, natkingcole and I'M FISH are the most important trips on this entire board and therefore the most important tastemakers of all music discussion online. /daily/ is the only place where there's actual non-circlejerk discussion about music-related topics. /daily/ has a large population of lurkers and is just as influential as Pitchfork or Consequence of Sound. Hundreds of anons form their music opinions droning these trips. Ask yourself: why are you browsing these threads? You're here to find out what the hottest and best-sounding music is like the rest of Sup Forums, except now that Sup Forums has gone to near-Sup Forums bait these threads are all that's left. The people who used to and still do post here are some of the most important music critics of our time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/vnurapbu
youtube.com/watch?v=iOqjt0eudGU
rateyourmusic.com/list/Accelerando_/2017-select-selects/
youtube.com/watch?v=yx2piPUudlE
mega.nz/#F!YYE1FIpY!wRA6OOouS_5_MCm2V2bQSA
forcedexposure.com/Catalog/satoh-somei-obscure-tape-music-of-japan-vol-18-echoes-cd/OPA.018CD.html
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/nhk電子音楽スタジオ/obscure-tape-music-of-japan-vol-18-echoes/
mega.nz/#F!xFkEQZbT!dcMq584-Od343BZqtRWtNA
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/shining/v-halmstad/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/leviathan/the-tenth-sub-level-of-suicide/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/leviathan/scar-sighted/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/xasthur/telepathic_with_the_deceased/
youtube.com/watch?v=4GFAZBKZVJY
rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/top-albums-of-2017/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hey - thats a big dog

post your dogs

Fuck you, I liked it

why noone goes to the plug.dj room anyway?

actual rl good boy.

cause discord

there sure is a discord among the users and it might even be >3
but srsly im playing some good shina williams there

ok but i have to listen to shina and rod stewart simultaneously or i'll disappoint like my dad.

here's BUDDY!

who #winter depresso

each day we get closer to Nat slamming Skylarking

>liking any group Wu project other than 36 Chambers

>listens to Ghost Bath once

(fish)
i need to relisten to danse. thanks for reminding me.
Avey Tare, Panda Bear & Geologist - Hollinndagain
Oren Ambarchi - Hubris
Lucio Capece, Julia Eckhardt, Christian Kesten, Radu Malfatti, Toshimaru Nakamura & Taku Sugimoto - Wedding Ceremony
Corea - Los peores 7 km de mi vida
Fever Ray - Plunge
Fire! with Jim O'Rourke - Unreleased?
FLUX Quartet - Feldman Edition 6: String Quartet No. 2
GFOTY - GFOTYBUCKS
Lene Grenager & Sofia Jernberg - Crochet
Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Jean-Jacques Perrey - Prélude au sommeil
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
Steven R. Smith - The Anchorite
Sonic Youth / Jim O'Rourke - SYR 3: Invito Al Ĉielo
John Zorn - Cobra
非常階段 - King of Noise

rip

So /daily/, any new releases from the last ~4 weeks you want everyone to hear and discuss on tomorrow's listenalong?

else i'll go with yamir's suggestion and do bork

oh NOES

my album was ok

simply eric.........

doesn't bork come out next week?

if tomorrow is next week then yes

oh yeah i see now, rym says 1 dec, stoopids

someone done hacked your fac

oh it's the other way round..........

cow

Be respectful of the holiday, let the thread die.

Native genocide day is not a real holiday, Amerifat

(source needed)

I haven't been active here in 2 years so I don't know if my recommendation should count but

oxhy - respite unoffered
its actually 5 weeks old but yeah

someone give me a classical piece so I can do some looped ambient
I'm spending my thanksgiving alone

rite of spring

good choice, I found a pretty warm recording with a nice tape hiss on it, which lets me do some fun stuff with a limiter
clyp.it/vnurapbu

I think we should all stop listening to new music and just relisten to sonic youth's daydream nation

also
for RED users, you now have 20 FL tokens. yay!

I'm stealing your YouTube video on copyright law and sampling it in a plunderphonics track I hope you're happy

this is why I use loops that either are public domain or have a creative commons license

are there even any 'really good' albums this year? everything ive listened to is a fucken flop, cant even pick an aoty.

help me out post2017 albums
even the mainstream ones

I loved new Forest Swords, I don't care what they say

I thought the new jacaszek was pretty great
youtube.com/watch?v=iOqjt0eudGU

is that the dubstep man.ill check it out

meh.. it sounds like generic post rock sry
jacaszek's stuff have been a miss 4 me

I liked Skream's EP Face Down In The Water
Also Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

>it sounds like generic post rock sry
it's more chamber pop than post rock
but I feel it, his earlier stuff is better, especially treny. I wanted to listen to the other album he was a part of this year but couldn't find it

Listenin' now, will update soon.

Black Motor - Branches if you're into jazz
Genetics & Windsurfing - Nonlinear Record if you're into glitch

rateyourmusic.com/list/Accelerando_/2017-select-selects/

youtube.com/watch?v=yx2piPUudlE

send me a link to the track after it's done, I'll post it on my twitter.

pathetic. you'll never make it.

Haydn's Symphony no. 96

Eine Kleine Nachmusik, and make the source obvious

Listening to that Black Motor album, man ain't I a huge jazz pleb I kinda like it but I can't pinpoint what the hell makes it special.

For me it's how it mixes free jazz and melodic jazz so well and switches between the two gracefully and how the album is mastered beautifully, each instrument is given so much room to breathe. The compositions are also fantastic and reminiscent of the classics. I found it to be extremely refreshing.

>vaporwave
haha
ill prob cherry pick from ur list, thanks!

will cop

#mckillyourself

Heavy Black Heart is actually pretty exciting for a group that was originally vaporwave
Jorge - Shapes (aka goodFriendRodriguez) is the most vaporwave album on the list

If you like power electronics and stuff that is

I already made it

:0 send pls

clyp.it/vnurapbu
this is from the Spring Rounds movement of Rite of Spring

v atmospheric

thanks

Forest Swords was pretty casual and had some cool stuff and I jammed to it. I also jammed to Milo, but rapping was stiff and I didn't like it. Also he did this thing where he said a word and it glitched out, and he did it so many times over album it started to get annoying.

EthyBoy wins!

also did I miss oneothe's rec again like a dingdong, or are they super dead?

this skream ep is such a pleasant listen
its nothing special but i like it its nice :)))

Yeah it's very comfy somehow
Like objectively I recognize that it's not really anything special but I just love it, idk

Not a big fan of the last track though, sounds cheap

Cool, thanks for joining.
I usually post them on Thursday nights but if people are still joining then I'll post the next one tomorrow. Got the next pick all selected, should be fun.

Link if anyone else wants to join:
mega.nz/#F!YYE1FIpY!wRA6OOouS_5_MCm2V2bQSA

its the synths he chose and the melodies
and he made everything just super simple..

Yeah it's very "less is more". The first track is really good but the progression and build-up of the synths in the second track is amazing t b h, I always get chills

ure right 3rd track is meh

this bell witch album is pretty nice too we're two for two, long boi

Am done, go ahead & post.

(why do you only post bad experimental music tho?)

(jk this is cool stuff just not cool to listen to ya know?)

(imo)

>>liking any group Wu project other than 36 Chambers
fuck off dick rider.

The combination of not vetting the picks and making sure they are "the-real-deal avantgarde" will inevitably lead to some stuff that isn't fun to listen to. So far I've found all of them at least passably good, and some I've loved, but I really do try to find enjoyable choices within my self-imposed constraints. In my opinion, you've gotta hear the odd dud to appreciate the gems.
Yeah I guess I could post the new one tonight, just have to make the link.

Second half of Mirror Reaper is really impressive in my opinion, it's basically slowcore
Good shit

yes its more slowcore than dsbm
maybe he just wanted to put on a metal cover lol

Jangle's Avant CD of the Week #4

This week's pick:
佐藤聰明 [Somei Satoh]: NHK電子音楽スタジオ [NHK Electronic Music Studio] -
Obscure Tape Music of Japan Vol. 18: Echoes

Reading:
forcedexposure.com/Catalog/satoh-somei-obscure-tape-music-of-japan-vol-18-echoes-cd/OPA.018CD.html

letovlink:
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/nhk電子音楽スタジオ/obscure-tape-music-of-japan-vol-18-echoes/

Download Link:
mega.nz/#F!xFkEQZbT!dcMq584-Od343BZqtRWtNA

I love Welcome to the NHK, will I love this?

yes

>dsbm

doing me a big think
it's not really dsbm at all, pretty much just funeral doom with slowcore influences

but i thought all slow metal is dsbm >.>
but ok ure more right

can someone recc essential dsbm

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/shining/v-halmstad/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/leviathan/the-tenth-sub-level-of-suicide/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/leviathan/scar-sighted/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/xasthur/telepathic_with_the_deceased/

meso doom basically just have longer notes than dsbm?

leviathan xasthur split add it in

something from debussys images for orchestra or jeux

just like biosphere's shenzhou or gas' narkopop

if you want something more obscure id say theres a good moment towards the start of a. tcherepnins first piano concerto just after the flashy piano at the 4 minute mark on the dot

those trumpets give me the shivers

DSBM also has blast beats and some dungeon synth influence, which doom normally doesn't have.

>Forgetting the Wu completely fell off within 5 years

>Forgetting that, despite having 10 fucking members, only 4 of them have solo albums worth even trying

I really hate the Wu circlejerk in the hip-hop community

youtube.com/watch?v=4GFAZBKZVJY
what do dailyboys think of this song

here lies man - here lies man
stabscotch - uncanny valley
mount eerie - a crow looked at me
batfinks - mosisac
bill orcutt - bill orcutt
jorge - true friendship
ema-bug-moubus-piano - mouse eats bug
brockhampton - saturation II
damien dubrovnik - great many arrows
king gizzard and the lizard wizard - murder of the universe

that's my top 10 at least

i actually really like 21 savage's verse coupled with the beat, it works really well with his monotone, lethargic voice.

i want to punch post malone though, nothing screams #1 hip hop hit of the year like a dude that hangs out with h3h3 and talks about how people don't listen to hip hop to feel things

to ease caviarr's woes, skylarking is great!

Mavis Staples - We'll Never Turn Back (2007)
>country soul, southern soul, deep soul

An album that tries to delicately maintain a balance between the old and the new that doesn't hit any of the marks from either time periods. Staples vocals anchor every track here, she breathes life into even the most overdone standards with her powerful, raw, soulful voice. She's the core of the record, and its best aspect. The music itself is a lot more spotty. I love Cooder, who serves as the guiding light of pretty much the whole album producing the whole thing and co-writing some of its tracks, but his production is plastic and a bit off. The middle of the album is also home to some weirdly upbeat tracks that fit poorly with the slow burning soul that characterizes the best tracks here, and that aren't even that great on their own. Staples herself is incredible, the rest of the album is a lot spottier.

2.5+

I should probably update this but hey if you want a list from a random dude on Sup Forums feel free to check out my picks so far:

rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/top-albums-of-2017/

Skylarking when?

skylarking now i'm posting a review in a sec

[spoiler]3.0+[/spoiler]

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & the Lash (1985)
>celtic rock, folk rock

I have a total aversion to celtic rock/punk, and even I really like this. There's such a homely, slapdash nature to the Pogues' music that's really charming and just fun to listen to. This obviously lies a lot on the vocal performance of Shane Macgowan, the world's favorite toothless alcoholic, who does an absolutely spectacular job conveying his down-to-earth lyrics. There's still a hint of the cheesy celtic stuff I generally hate in music on a couple tracks, but the songs are generally so pretty that I can easily overlook that. There's a large traditional folk element here that really helps it as well, and easily cements it as the best celtic rock album ever.

post malone seems to be getting better but dear lord I don't understand the appeal of 21 savage at all
he has the personality of a wet mop

XTC - Skylarking (1986)
>psychedelic pop, pop rock, neo-psychedelia

What impresses me about XTC is that they can change sounds so often and I love them just the same every time. Drums and Wires is herky-jerky zolo-influenced new wave, and I love it. English Settlement is pretty straight-forward pop rock, I love it. This, arguably their masterpiece, is Beatles-esque psych pop, and I really adore it. Someone predicted I wouldn't like the general cheesiness of this, and they're kinda right, some parts of this are very over-the-top and overly flouncy, but that's part of this album's appeal. It's an ode to the pop of the '60s, and all the negative parts of that. The melodies are catchy; the sound is clean, concise, and beautiful; and it's all together a really well-done, memorable album.

3.0+

ethyboy vs flyingicewizard:
>Bill Fay - Time of the Last Persecution
First I want to say how this album cover always reminded me of that Charles Manson album, ok. It is an album built on simplicity, I found most of the songs being similar, having a lo-fi feel to them, but still they're nice pop tunes accompained by charming piano and guitar playing.
6.5+

>Various Artists - Red Spot
This doesn't flow together so well, it starts with its heaviest weight in Minimal Man, then the Research Library tracks (which were my favorites from the compillation) reminding me a little of Algebra Suicide, and finally going downhill at the B side.

crunch vs jangle:
>Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
I was never a fan of Pink Moon, I thought it was so plain and that's why I never bothered to check more of Nick Drake's work. In this album I found the genius that this man was, not only for his lyrics but for his music. Its beautiful arrangements and the jazz in some songs just show how rich in sound this album is.
8-

>David Behram - On the Other Ocean
Impressive how these sounds come together, especially from the cello on the B side, which I'd have liked to be longer.

crunch and ethyboy go to the next round

reply to this post to die instantly

Hi /daily/ friends. What are some essential 2000's jazz albums I NEED to hear

>appreciating Bryter Layter
absolute good taste detected

Electric Masada - At the Mountain of Madness