Are capos for charlatans?

sup Sup Forums, quick question:

is the capo the 'tool of the charlatan'?

it certainly seems that way, doesnt it?

if it's been over 2 years band you still need a capo to change keys, then I would say you are a mediocre guitarist at best
>b-b-but muhhh open string harmonics!
kill yourself

capos are fine. stop being elitist and/or insecure about any possible phenomena

No, if you actually play guitar then you know that they’re not.

I use one but i like writing songs and (trying) to sing as opposed to sick riffs

>muhhh open string harmonics
t. charlatan
A guitarist or any musician in general wouldn't poo poo the superior timbral quality of open strings.

Capos are a shortcut and constant use can make it seem like you're a mediocre guitarist because it's pretty much the lazy way of changing key. They make guitar easier to play that's for sure. There's nothing wrong with using them though, there's some songs that have a unique guitar sound that you can only get by using a capo.

ah yes, the 'kill yourself' argument
the perfect way to show your point is irredeemable

Don’t tell these idiots that they couldn’t write a decent song that save their lives.

are you too stupid to change tuning? I bet you use a guitar tuner app on your phone, kek

Why change tuning when you could use a capo?

No it allows you to tune your open string vocabulary to higher notes
But if you are only putting it on your first fret you are a pussy, just tune up.

it's a practical tool, what else is there to say about a capo? capos did nothing to deserve this vitriol

It's techfags that think the act of playing guitar is more important that the music being made.

it's basically the same thing as me using the transpose function on a digital keyboard so I can play everything in the C scale

Strumming chords with open strings sounds different than playing weird fretted chords. The capo makes it sound nicer, make the chords blend together better, and less likely to sound choppy. No capo transposing only serves to impress yourself.
Transposing a keyboard to make it easier isn't going to change the sound of it.
Also if your a session player and the singer wants you to change the key of a song you know to play, there is no need to relearn the song or change the way is sounds in any way.

>being this insecure

this, you absolute retard

Don't know why so many people have sticks up their asses about the timbral argument, open chords absolutely sound different. That's not even necessarily the only thing that changes though, because if you shift a song that was written for open chords into barres, you're gonna have different chord shapes and, as a result, different inversions.

If I was in a rehearsal/performance comping for a singer on a keyboard and was told on the spot that the key is out of their range, I wouldn't have a huge issue with using the transpose function to save some time (not that it's really necessary).

what the fuck are you tolkien about you plebe

Sup Forums finds a way to be insecure about every possible thing

Play Here Comes the Sun without one then

that is basically how to tell if a guitarist has skill or not. if they say they need a capo to play something, then they suck

They have a legitimate place in the art of guitar playing but if you are busting one out every fucking time you need to play in a different key you are bad

Weakest bait I've ever seen
Fuck off to reddit if you don't wanna try hard kid

>fuck off if you don't wanna try hard!
>*uses capo to play in a different key*
wew lad

I saw Julian Lage live and he used one, I assume he knows what he's doing.

A capo is a tool to make playing the guitar easier, just like capos, picks, and tuners.

>b-b-but muhhh open string harmonics!

it's literally the greatest sound in music. I wouldn't play guitar if it didn't sound so perdy to let the open strings ring out.

Capos are a godsend.

There are certain things you can't play without a capo without bastardizing the voicing.

Sure a good guitarist can transpose a rough version but it won't be the same.

If you're playing an easy song with open chords and your singer wants it moved up a semitone are you really gonna barre everything and/or play it with different voicings/inversions just to prove what a tough guitar wrangler you are so other tough guitar wranglers don't pick on you?