Nine years ago today, 808s and Heartbreak was released. Thoughts on this album?

Nine years ago today, 808s and Heartbreak was released. Thoughts on this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kNTh9rlLV5I
soundcloud.com/kanyewest/say-you-will)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not bad a bit simple but not bad a good album to throw on once in a while

Kanye's worst album

the remix album was better
youtube.com/watch?v=kNTh9rlLV5I

the album cover is so fucking ugly

I will never listen to it in my life

The one I always come back to. Can imagine it's one of the ones he's most proud of.

that's the only thing i actually love about this album

Paranoid is an 11/10 song but the rest of the material is weak as fuck

Incredibly influential, and genuinely one of the greatest albums to listen to during this time of the year.

Cold as fuck, depressing, heartbreaking, and overall relatable on the simplest of levels.

Kanye's 3rd best.

I don't give it enough ear what comes to Kanye's discography but I like it a lot although it can be cheesy sometimes, PARANOID IS A BANGER
One thing I haven't ever understood is that why the fuck did he add Pinocchio Story as a hidden track, it completely ruins the flow of the album because Coldest Winter is a perfect closer. The first time I listened to 808s, I just stared at my computer pissed off, waiting for it to end. I always skip it on my listens. I also decided to put it on now, this truly is a perfect winter album.

THIS GUY GETS IT

A necessary step in the progression of pop music

God tier:
Say You Will
Say You Will Caroline Shaw Version (soundcloud.com/kanyewest/say-you-will)
Welcome to Heartbreak
Paranoid
Heartless

Great tier:
Robocop
Street Lights

Good tier:
Coldest Winter
Pinocchio Story

Meh tier:
Amazing
Love Lockdown
Bad News

What the fuck are doing tier:
See You In My Nightmares

God tier:
Say You Will
Coldest Winter
Paranoid
Heartless

Great tier:
Love Lockdown
Welcome to Heartbreak

Good tier:
Robocop
See You In My Nightmares
Bad News

Meh tier:
Amazing
Street Lights

What the fuck are doing tier:
Pinocchio Story

Fixed that for ya

Dated badly, but at the time it was revolutionary.

This is correct I agree with this post

Kanye's 3rd best work, behind College Dropout and Yeezus

My favorite Kanye album, I play this more than any of his other albums. Some of his best production and has a great atmosphere.

Mastapeece

Coldest Winter > Love Lockdown > Say You Will > Welcome to Heartbreak > everything else

Not ahead of it's time, didn't influence anyone at all, nothing special, it's just ok with some good songs.

God tier:
Say You Will
Welcome to Heartbreak
Heartless
Amazing
Love Lockdown
Paranoid
Street Lights
Bad News
Coldest Winter
RUINED A MASTERPIECE TIER
RoboCop
See you in my Nightmares
Pinocchio Story

Oh yeah forgot to add.
Fuck Lil wayne and his shitty voice

Yeah agreed, especially since the original was so good

consistently under-rated, the first sign of kanye's advancement as an artist imo, though not as strong as the albums that come after it

This album is so underrated it hurts

One of the most influential albums of the 21st century

>muh autotune
You realize T-Pain was using autotune before this album right?

Nah dude, 808s paved the way for all those "sensitive" rappers like Drake and Kid Cudi, which has been the mainstream for pretty much the entire past decade

>pinnochio story not being the best on the album
haha that was a good one

You can't sell heroin to this. No bangers, and as pop music it's not very catchy. Has a few good songs though.

its his most realized record. nearly flawless.

>doesn't understand pinocchio story

i think its pretty obviously kanye's attempt to highlight the disconnect between the music he wants to make, and the topics he wants to explore, and his fans expectations. this is clear from the song's text (he wants to be real, versus fans perceptions of keeping it real), but more so, the subtext (its a live cut: you can hear all the fans yelling to play something they like and recognize, and getting irritated when he doesn't-- Kanye wants to do his own shit, despite fans expectations at a live show), and extra-textual shit (the album being a huge departure from the "old" kanye of CD and LR, to the point that people still don't fuck with it).

you can aesthetically not like the song, or its placement (it totally works imo), but i think the statement behind it is pretty clear.

this is actually correct. god that lil wanye verse is a total stain.