Folk Metal/Power Metal/Viking Metal

I've been into post-hardcore, metal-core, etc. most of my life, but it's terribly stale. As a regular Sup Forums lurker, I've somewhat fallen for the folk metal meme -- perhaps this has to do something with Varg. I recently came across Blind Guardian. They're super fucking good.

Can you suggest good folk metal/power metal/viking metal? Plus, some of the artwork is great.

The Bard's Song
youtube.com/watch?v=FE8EyKpyodw
Cover
youtube.com/watch?v=StANCchGacc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-8hA61XxiJo
youtube.com/watch?v=2Ae3G5QykFs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4e1n9O068
metal-archives.com/
youtube.com/channel/UC58N_dRueLFSi0k9Km3U9xw
youtube.com/watch?v=kNB76KnZjAY
youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_eVIZkjZE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kroda, Falkenbach, Wilderun, Isengard, and Forefather are good places to start, tho that's all black metal with some death metal (although quite accessible imo). Also Fejd might be a good band for you, much more standard folk metal.

Pagan Black Metal would also be a great next step. Árstíðir Lifsins, Drukh, Kampfar, Graveland, and Hades would be my recs. Godspeed dude, folk stuff is some of my favorite metal.

Thanks, mate. I'm interpreting this as my taste in music maturing.

Try Evertale. It's a pretty obscure Blind Guardian worship band that I personally believe to be better than BG itself a lot of the time.
youtube.com/watch?v=-8hA61XxiJo

And since you seem to like ballads...
youtube.com/watch?v=2Ae3G5QykFs

>maturing
idk about that senpai, I wouldn't call folk metal and shit mature to a degree. A lot of pagan black is around as mature as a lot of metalcore/post-hardcore, just in different ways. Also a lot of these dudes are unironic nazis/far right wingers, which I guess as a pol lurker you're fine with, but I woudn't say that's necessarily better than left wing hardcore dudes. I kinda want to listen to more metalcore desu, a lot of hardcore and sludge punk and stuff I really like. Post-hardcore is also awesome, tho I don't listen to enough of it.

Byrdi's second LP is still the best folk thing from past few years.

So, I do think think that folk/viking metal is inherently right-wing. I just find that metal-core/post-hardcore is immature. The themes - focused on relationships - is just old. I felt the same about straight edge hardcore, which EVERYONE outgrew. "I will defend my town!" With folk/viking mental, you have substantive themes, history, mythology, fantasy. It's quite brilliant.

Currently listening to the Evertale stuff you included. I'm impressed.

>Sup Forums
>Folk Metal
>Maturing

>With folk/viking mental, you have substantive themes, history, mythology, fantasy. It's quite brilliant.
You're giving folk bands way too much credit my dude, but whatever rocks your boat. It's good music regardless, I don't think it's worth worrying about whether your taste is mature or not. I'm a huge dungeon synth fanboy particularly because the music is anti-pretentious and immature as hell and that's what I love about it. Same with like neoclassical darkwave and martial industrial and stuff, it's got them cheesy symphonic shit and I find that dope. I find folk melodies dope so i love folk stuff. Maybe I'm just drastically over analyzing this, but I think you'd be better off if you didn't worry about whether or not something is mature or not and just like music because the music is good.

Heheh

>Dungeon synth fanboy

Aha okay, I can see your point. But no, you're not over analyzing anything. I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

>post-hardcore, metal-core, etc. most of my life, but it's terribly stale. As a regular Sup Forums lurker...perhaps this has to do something with Varg

Fuck, I forgot what it was like to be 15.

Here, listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4e1n9O068

>post-hardcore, metal-core, etc. most of my life, but it's terribly stale. As a regular Sup Forums lurker, I've somewhat fallen for the folk metal meme -- perhaps this has to do something with Varg

0/10

>tfw when you're 25 and have terrible music taste

help me

Don't listen to them, they're 18 and think skrewdriver is mature.

Listen to Falkenbach for starters. If you want to get into viking metal (that is, pegan themed black metal) they're a good a place as any to start. If you want to get into folk (which is a slippery slope into listening to bands like Eluveitie), I recommend you stick to bands that also have a death or black metal influence, or at the very least don't take themselves too seriously, like Korpiklaani.

Also, check out metal-archives.com/ and start digging though genre tags.

Wilderun is also a good option. Also rym I think is better for entry level stuff, metal archives is gonna give you a lot of trash with some good gems here and there, whereas rym has the top stuff easily seeable.

Also

youtube.com/channel/UC58N_dRueLFSi0k9Km3U9xw

essential yt channel

Saor is one of my favourites. I agree with everyone saying to stick to the black metal side of folk metal, there is a lot of cheesy shite (which can be fun if you're in the mood for it).

Can't believe nobody mentioned Agalloch, they are a must listen. If you do want something more catchy, Litvintroll is a good option. The Russian vocals somehow make it more believable for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=kNB76KnZjAY

also do yourself a favor and check this one out
(Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet)

Moonsorrow is a great rec, seconding this.

*checking*

Listening to Saor -- probably the best thing I've heard from this thread.

I've been listening to Alestorm but I'm more of a power metal person so I don't know how you'll feel about it.
youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_eVIZkjZE

On a side note, I'm trying to expand my library, I'll take pretty much anything but i prefer male vocalists.

Glad you like it!

You'll like this I bet. Power Metal is very hit or miss for me, but this one clicked for some reason

I also can't go without posting this as it's in my native language.
I'm actually kinda torn on this one, maybe it's cause I can understand the lyrics which are a bit on the awkward side, but it's a fun album for sure

OP is probably gone but this one is also among my top 10. Sits perfectly between black, power and folk, never get tired of this one

I'm still here, mate. I'm taking note of the bands mentioned.

Ill give you one more then. Not sure if you can classify this one as folk metal, but it gives me the same vibes and it's absolutely brilliant.

Thats about it for the bands that really hit it home for me, theres tons more of course but I have to admit quite a bit of filler in the genre. Makes discovering the gems all the more fun though

Holy shit thanks for that channel, what a goldmine.
Thats my backlog sorted for the winter then

Definitely know what you means -- a lighter type of rock, but still Nordic/folk-y. They're good.

Thanks again, user.

Passed on seeing them live... was the responsible decision at the time but it stings. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

I like this stuff but is there any of it besides falkenbach that doesn't have screaming growling bullshit?

Try Eluveitie and Cruachan for folk
Versailles for Power/Prog/VK
Amon Amarth for viking/melodeath
Sabaton is great too

some other favourites of mine that were already posted: Sólstafir, Falkenbach, Fejd, Korpiklaani