/trek/

ITT: we discuss /trek/

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/subject/friday night star trek/type/op/
tor.com/2016/10/17/the-answer-to-why-humans-are-so-central-in-star-trek/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which would be more powerful; a ship full of Data style androids or a ship full of Vulcans?

Data I'm pretty sure

are we having a general now?

Well a ship full of Vulcans got themselves killed by that giant space amoeba.

Data. Vulcans are smart, but he's a literal super computer

androids obviously

but augments would BTFO both

A ship of Datas would never have lost at baseball to Sisko or been fooled when Odo handed over a murderer to him claiming he was just an innocent accident survivor.

First for Ferengi family love
>AAAAAAHHHHHGGG MOOOOOOGGIIIIIEEEEE DOOONT STOOOOOOOP

Datas.

They are basically Vulcans but better and without the basic needs of an organic life form.

Can't be neck pinched or forcibly melded with, so that alone is a great edge over Vulcans.

Star Trek with a Romulan crew when?

You just need to poke Data in the back to knock him out permanently

>Captain, people were always memeing about using the word "general" in a Star Trek thread so I performed a scientific experiment, I created all these threads and only varied between "general" and "thread", the quality of responses is indistinguishable except the complainy pantses:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/subject/friday night star trek/type/op/

Did I do wrong?

Never user. Romulans are criminally underutilised in Trek

This makes me very sad.

That's assuming you can get behind them and surprise them, and even then it's just a matter of another one turning them back on and it's like nothing happened.

Well if you were going to build a whole bunch of them to crew a ship, surely you'd eliminate that design flaw?

The whole point of Romulans is that they're isolationist. That's literally the first thing we ever learn about the race. Of course they're not going to show up very often.

Who is the master race and why is it the Ferengi?

Cardassians > Romulans > Andorians > the rest

I don't understand the sheer level of hate that Nemesis gets.

I get that its a bad film and awful Trek but I just don't think it's as bad as people make out. It all seems like a little bit of an over reaction to me

>removing the ONLY weakness of an army of ubermensch

Bad idea. You either end up with the Borg or Khan, or if they turn out to be perfectly loyal to the empire, you might still end up with a situation like I, Mudd.

I haven't watched TNG from when Wesley rocks up onwards, always hear mixed things, what's your opinion? Need something to push me into watching it or not.

People who like Star Trek have undeniably good taste, so help me find something new to watch: other than Star Trek, what are your top n favourite TV series?

Where n is however many you can honestly name without padding.

>Have Star Empire
>Be isolationist

God tier: Cardassians, Ferengi, Romulans
Pussies tier: Humans, Vulcans
Should be slave labor tier: Bajorans
Irrelevant: the rest

>from when Wesley rocks up onwards
What does this mean? He's in it from the first episode so I guess its not when he goes to the academy. It gets better when he leaves.

So what race was the most Bane-like race in Star Trek? How close did they come to crashing the quadrant with no survivors?

Yes, you did. Star Trek threads need to be spontaneous and not have any keywords so general fags can find them easily.

When you start the general shit you have posts like this

>or been fooled when Odo handed over a murderer to him claiming he was just an innocent accident survivor.
What's this a reference to?

Humans are the best race because their technology advances the most quickly, and it's pretty much confirmed that humans are the only race in the alpha quadrant to develop time machines. Pretty much Star Trek series just takes place in the very short time where humans are roughly on-par with other races in their area, but as the series progress humans go from having some of the worst tech to having the best.

Vulcans: shown to be too slow to embrace new ideas and radical theories. Everybody is too afraid to be different or oppose the established wisdom, so they make few breakthroughs.

Caucasians and Romulans: tech seems stagnant, they're happy to just repress their people and keep them ignorant so they're easier to control

Klingons: Borderline retarded

Ferengi: Technology advances are limited because they don't care about long-term profits as much as short-term quarterly gains, and thus don't do time consuming research.

Meanwhile humans are constantly innovating.

>god tier
Cardassians
Klingons
>self insert tier
Humans
>wasted potential tier
Vulcans
Romulans
(the effort to keep these guys mysterious has actually just made them one dimensional)
>Gene you've got to be fucking kidding me tier
Ferengi

They set up their border, told everybody to stay out, and then proceeded to have radio silence for like 100 years before they encountered Kirk ONCE in TOS. In TNG and DS9 the only time you ever see them is either covert spy missions or the Federation invading their space.

Who's more disappointing as an alleged nemesis race? Ferengi or Kazon?

Doctor Who But then I'm English and its a pop culture phenomenon. I was born 2 years after it went off air, had never seen a single episode and still knew what a Dalek and a Cyberman was growing up

That being said when its good, its damn fantastic, but when its not its mediocre to down right shit

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a pretty good show from around the TNG/DS9/VOY era

Stargate SG1 is pretty underrated

Assuming of course you meant shows that are sort of like Star Trek

DS9 episode 4, A Man Alone. Quark arranges to buy some piece of stolen art and hires a guy from the Gamma Quadrant to "rob" him before he buys it, but the guy murders one of the people who are selling it, Odo arrests him and he tricks Odo into helping him rescue his daughter, then they kill the other art thief and he emotionally manipulates Odo into handing them both over to a Vulcan ship claiming they're survivors of an accident.

The Breen
>big guys
>wear a mask
>if you took it off, it would be extremely painful
>people don't know why they wear the mask
>they use secret electromagnetic weapons to crash enemy ships with no survivors

Kazon

At least the Ferengi went on to have a second life as comic relief villains.

And Quark is based as fuck. Top 5 Trek characters for me easily.

>>people don't know why they wear the mask
But everyone knows it's like -200C in those suits.

At least the Kazon remained a consistent threat the entire time they were on the show. Ferengi were a joke from the start, and were dropped as enemies after like 1 season.

""""""""threat"""""""""

But the Breen homeworld is actually lush and hot; a cardassian described it as pleasant. Why would they wear a refrigeration suit if they're from a warm planet?

Really makes you think

No, that's an [inaccurate] description of the episode Vortex. A Man Alone is where a guy kills his own clone to frame Odo for murder, and they hypocritically arrest him for that crime despite Starfleet's history of clone murder.

The Kazon killed a load of Voyager crew and actually took over the ship a couple times. The only reason they failed is because of internal power struggles.

I'll bite

They repeatedly refer to the Breen homeworld as being freezing cold on DS9

References are also made to Breen winters

Here's your (you)

Yeah but their home planet is "quite comfortable" to Weyon. So why did they wear the suits?

>Humans are the best race because their technology advances the most quickly, and it's pretty much confirmed that humans are the only race in the alpha quadrant to develop time machines
true, don't forget androids and augments as well

Maybe killing your own clone is illegal under Bajoran law, rather than Starfleet law. I'm sure Odo would be willing to pick and choose between the two as it suits his vision of "justice"

We don't know if Weyoun was taken on a ruse cruise or not. It easily could have been a colony considering how secret the Breen are.

pleb

ferengi are awesome, klingons are shit

>In 2375, after the Breen joined the Dominion, Weyoun claimed it in fact had a temperate climate. (DS9: "The Changing Face of Evil")

The claims about Breen and the suits are all a smokescreen, a bluff to throw off enemies. They know that nobody will try to invade their planet if they trick them into thinking it's a frozen wasteland.

Tumblr actually came up with a fairly amusing headcanon as to why Humans are best race on Star Trek

tor.com/2016/10/17/the-answer-to-why-humans-are-so-central-in-star-trek/

Sorry about the shit website collating posts from a shit website, I couldn't be bothered to search further for it.

Ferengi are neither intimidating or funny. Both of their iterations utterly failed.
Outside of Quark there isn't a decent character in the entire species.

Borg can't innovate, they can only steal existing technology. As of the events of TNG they are more advanced than humans, but humans are still able to hold them off. The fact that humans can innovate gives them the edge in the longrun... or it would have if they universe didn't get rebooted.

Okay it's actually 1x12- The Vortex. DS9 has a really annoying habit of giving episodes names that would be much better for later names. The art thieves were a joined pair of Miradorn twins, when one of them died the other started dying too and his only reason to carry on was vengeance. He was A Man Alone. And I don't recall any kind of vortex in this episode.

everyone saying data... you do realize one talented engineer could just hack all the datas and win by default

Data was unique and nobody had replicated anything like him, even though he'd been helping them try for over 20 years. You can't hack data unless you're Soong or Grandpa.

Just like you can hack anything! Like trees! And the air!

Pretty sure there are more episodes of people being mind controlled than data being hacked.

Yall a bunch of fuckin nerds lmfao

>The Borg can adapt to the brilliant military strategies of the Romulan Star Empire, the Klingons and even the cold logical intellectual prowess of the Vulcans
>The Borg weren't prepared for the starship captain to lure them into his 50's noir detective holonovel and machine gun them to death with a weapon made of hard light

Rom. Zek. Nog.

Even Liquidator Brunt has his moments.

Moogie isn't awful as a kind of reposte to the way Ferengi society treats its women

>Zek
Are you fucking serious?

um, rude much?

As a comic foil? Sure

He's a really funny character. Why do so many people hate comedy in Star Trek?

Give me your lunch money, bitch!

you're just jealous because you're a lowly hu-mon with no money

>Ferengi are neither intimidating or funny
Neither are klingons

Ferengi are awesome

>Ferengi are [not] intimidating
Apologize

I miss this type of Ferengi. They were so much more foreboding than the ones found in DS9. It makes sense that they'd have powerful ships used to "massage" negotiations and defend their property. Their laser whips were cool too.

Nah I much prefer that their deal is that they run shit. I've always assumed that the entire galaxies economy depended on Ferenginar and they could tank it at any point

Star Trek has plenty of races with big powerful ships and the ability to tear you limb from limb. They're better off as a sort of funhouse mirror of the Federation. Shit hot at diplomacy and negotiation, but for personal gain as opposed to the betterment of all

>DARMOK! HIS PHASER ON FULL POWER

>KHAN HIS EVILGASM STRONG

>ARGH

>SHAKKA WHEN THE WALLS FELL

A ship of Datas could operate more efficiently by not funneling unnecessary power to life support, or replicators, or sonic showers, or holodecks, etc.

Probably because comedy in Trek only really works if you're properly invested.

If you're new to Trek and the first episode you see is a Ferengi one its going to confirm every pre conceived notion you had about the show and how cringeworthily nerdy it is

as ds9 is a ripoff i gues the breen are somehow like vorlons, energy beings.

Would adapting not count as innovating?

>ywn go on adventures in the ancient west with sheriff worf

Why are the episodes with worf an alexander so comfy ?

>congratulations on your promotion captain! We have your first command ready, it's the beautiful Miranda Class star-ship
>Fuck

Has any character ever gone such a dramatic turn around as Worf?

Starts out as dumb growling mongolid

Becomes fantastic well rounded character with a strong sense of honour and ethics.

I want to fuck Janeway, mon capitaine.

I think Q would rather fuck Picard desu.

SLUTS: Riker, Quark, Ezri, Kirk, Kira, Bashir, Damar, Hoshi

NOT SLUTS: Data, Jadzia, Odo, Garak, Scotty, T'Pol

Nah Q values the chase, he doesn't want the prize.

If they want you fuck you then where's all the fun Jean-Luc?

>You fucked me! Picard never fucked me...

Gays dont exist in Star Trek.

>Computer, create a Yew Tree, 240 years old
>Now create Pierrepoint, give him a rope
>Create a crowd of 500 and put everyone in Klansmens robes
>Computer... disengage safeties

Sleep tight, Rick Berman terrorism

Make Bajor Great Again™

Garrak wasn't homosex but I can't really imagine the Federation having a society where homosexuality is a no-no.

If Roddenberry could have gotten away with it in TOS or TNG you bet your ass he would have put one in, even if they weren't main cast

MST3K
Fringe
Midsomer Murders
Person of Interest
The Strain

The only thing I'm watching on TV at the moment is Dirk Gently which I'm loving but I need to see where it goes before I judge. It's got the same feeling as the books though.

well it IS a utopia where humans are cured of all diseases and ills

If they don't have a moral problem with aborting children who could be criminals I don't see how aborting children who could be paedophile rapists and don't continue the species would be bad

Compared to Generations and Insurrection it's pretty great.

Friendly reminder that at the end of "Best of Both Worlds" they kill a ship full of Borg in their sleep despite having the capability to de-assimilate someone as evidenced by Picard.

You could call pragmatism, but since when do we see the Feds being pragmatic when the option to save many is available?

>it's a Ferengi quotes the Communist Manifesto episode

you guys are always alone, by the way.
the
outliers
the
people from beyond the grave.

who /spooked/ here because of thanksgiving in three days, fukushima earthquake, twitter, and post-halloween ptsd?

had a dream yesterday that I got drafted into some new trump/putin proxy war.

luv trek

>It's a "Klingon's reference ancient human literature (Shakespeare) episode"