WHy the fuck in the beginning of POA he uses magic in his bedroom? It's fucking illegal, isn't it?

WHy the fuck in the beginning of POA he uses magic in his bedroom? It's fucking illegal, isn't it?
Did Cuaron even read the books?

Hermione also repairs his glasses in Diagon Alley and on the train, which is also forbidden

They weren't enrolled at Hogwarts at that point do you could argue that the rule technically didn't apply yet or that Hermione simply wasn't aware of it.

repairing his glasses in Diagon Alley was in the 2nd movie

If you guys recall, Harry uses a fuckload of magic in the third movie while on vacation, such as turning his aunt into a balloon. The ministry of magic doesn't care at all and just wants to make sure Harry is safe from Sirius. That's why they let him get away with that small bit of magic.

I was thinking that they're allowed to do it in private but not in the presence of muggles, but then he blows up his aunt in front of the Dursleys. How did Harry get with that? Why was he not expelled from Hogwarts for that but was in the fifth one?

It was accidental. No harm done.

I haven't read the books in a very long time, but didn't their magic detection just show magic being used, but not who used it? If so they couldn't prove someone underage used it because they were in Diagon Alley with shitloads of wizards and witches around. However Harry doing it in his room should have been detected since he was living in a muggle household

>Why was he not expelled from Hogwarts for that but was in the fifth one?

Because GoF is such a poor adaptation that they omit the ending entirely where Dumbledore and the Ministry have a huge fracas and decide to no longer co-operate

The Ministry have a motive for expelling Harry in OoTP

But isn't the Dursley household protected by the minors-under-18-can't-be-assassinated charm or whatever it was? I'd think that would keep the scrying spells from finding out he was using magic in his house.

because it's a fucking movie based on one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

is this a pasta?

>being THIS new

new af

You just got reverse memed.

Or did I get reverse meta memed?

They're allowed to use magic when they are in the magic world. Diagon alley is in the magic world

this

>autism
he cant do it infront if muggles hes doing his homework its a lightbulb spell

you do realize that's a coy and unsubtle visual metaphor for masturbation, right? a teenage boy playing with his wand under his bed covers at night. you guys here did know that, right? right?

Pretty sure you can use magic on the train and Diagon Alley

Yes but it also foreshadows harry a small light glowing bright like in the end. Dual meaning

Because its for children not you

If i was a wizard harry i would use my wand at all times

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C.S. Lewis

>Tolkien was bothered by the tales’ inconsistent use of mythological figures. Characters from classical myth are scattered through the stories, alongside figures from modern folklore and kiddie lit. He couldn’t see how a story could feature both fauns and Father Christmas, dryads and dragons, Baachus and Beatrix Potter-type talking animals. It was all too derivative, too contrived, too much of a poorly conceived, partially thought-out mishmash.

>Furthermore, Tolkien didn’t share Lewis’s love of children’s literature as such. While Tolkien appreciated fairy tales and myth, he didn’t think they should be relegated to literature for children. He disliked dream tricks (as Lewis used in The Great Divorce) to transport people into alternate worlds, and he mistrusted magical literary devices in which children popped into other worlds through mirrors, wardrobes, or rabbit holes.

>In short, Tolkien took myth more seriously. He built his alternative world from the ground up. Beginning with the language of the elves, Tolkien created the race that spoke the language, then conceived and carefully created not only the other races and their languages, but the whole world in which they lived, complete with its geography, history, and comprehensive myth. Tolkien may have been scornful of the rapidity and ease with which Lewis created his stories, but he was so not simply because the works were produced quickly, but because it showed.

>Tolkien’s real objections to Narnia, however, run deeper. Tolkien disliked allegory, and the Narnia tales were too allegorical for his taste. Lewis protested that they were not an allegory (he had already written an allegory in his Pilgrim’s Regress) but an analogy. While it is true that the characters in Narnia do not have a one-to-one allegorical relationship with abstract truths, they do point clearly to greater truths and greater characters in the Christian story. Tolkien objected.

Also next time you post a quote you saved today make sure you actually know about the man who said it. Especially when you use one almost always misused by the juvenile to defend their favorite piece of media

>quoting Tolkien
Nothing but autist, not an artist

Are you the one that posted the quote? If so then him being an autist should make you proud as you are one yourself, Watson autist.

not your best intro user

its more than one user, user

A plotline in one of the books is The Ministry trying to fuck with Harry because he summons a Patronos in the muggle world in front of his cousin because they're attacked by a Dementor. They can totally see what was cast and who cast it.

Thats what I thought.

He's doing his homework

In OP's picture, yes. Not in the scenario I just described.

You're also all forgetting the Dursleys aren't regular muggles. They know about magic and that Harry is a wizard. They knew before Harry even did.

retarded shit heads, the law specifies that magic in the human world is not forbidden but casitng magic among muggles is illegal.

Honestly the only thing that bothers me with this scene is that he can't hold a basic spell. He has to keep repeating it.
Later in the movie you see him walking around with it constantly on fine, when he's looking for Peter Pettigrew during the night

Thats why hes practicing it, later on he reads with it before getting up to look for pettigrew

Your webms are garbage half-bloodredditor

this is very wise

too bad

What the fuck is this editing.

The guy who also edited Ex Machina, hes a kinoman, it works better with the entire movie or scene in mind

it's an idea I get but it's so fucking jarring that it just calls attention to itself and pulls you out of the moment.

Not when its on the big screen, that scene in theaters was sweaty palms I can see not liking that technique but the editing is smooth otherwise

Compare it to the scene after the Weasleys have their fireworks and Harry falls to the ground, since the entire film was differnt up to that point it felt jarring in a good way

>All these crazy hand movements to cast spells
Was magic invented by Italians?

Hermione is so badass
i'm wet

That form is major league tight

It's a metaphor for being in the closet

You have to be 18+ to be on this board.

theyre okay for magic. theyre his fucking guardians. they know about it. the problem was the aunt and the fact she blew up into the air so other people could see

qtest Hermione

great meme

great taste

great meme taste

because he was the only wizard in the area. they dont know he did it. hes just the one they know who lives there, other than the squib, whom i believe they dismiss the thought of her being the one who cast it.

by the way, literally what is the difference between a squib and a normal human? isnt every fucking human a squib?
>but squibs come from wizard families
and wizards come from normal humans. logic dictates that this means every fucking non magical human is a squib.

lol f4m you are getting meme'd on by chinadunk

YAAASSSSS

>tolkein disliked allegory

that's pretty fucking bold, dude. allegory has been a successfully employed literary tool since fucking hellenic greece.

>not simply because the works were produced quickly, but because it showed.

Oh it showed, C.S. Lewis, it showed

What do you expect from a lotrfag

Lewis had read adult books though, which most of the people who misapply this quotation haven't.

speak for yourself

>giving a dumb spic a huge multimillion dollar movie to direct

what did they expect

Because PoA looked kinda good but the adaptation is garbage.

>Not winning the Quidditch Cup

Cuaron, you hack.

>caring about quidditch that much
I liked the adaptation, especially the last half

Why would that be forbidden? The train and Diagon Alley was for magic folk.
I think it's more about doing it in the presence of muggles. Might be wrong though. Or maybe it's only regulated when the want to regulate it, like suddenly caring when his aunt blew up because they were just trying to get him expelled while not giving a shit that he's using a spell to make a flashlight.

It's not that I care that much about the game, but it was a really important moment for Harry. Not only was he able to achieve something he trained with his team, during that match it was the first time he was able to make his Patronus charm really work. It was not something that Hermione, Ron or dumb luck did, but something he did and that later he was able to look back and feel happy and proud.

Also, the Sirius part went to freaking fast and was kinda shallow. I know the Dursley's were bad, but not 2 minutes ago Sirius looked like a psycho, with Oldman's crazy eyes.

iirc, it's regulated but it depends on the situation.

Movie 2 had Dobby levitating a cake and Harry getting the blame for it but no punishment for it. Maybe because wizards tend to do magic without noticing.

Movie 3 had Harry inflating his aunt and he did get the Ministry letter, then one from Dumbledore (or Mr. Weasley, I don't remember) telling him to stay put and Harry being told by his uncle that was going to get expelled that made him run away, only for the Minister to say: "Hey, no biggie. We dealt with it."

It was in OotP, with the Ministry being a bunch of useless assholes that he got in trouble because he casted the Patronus to defend himself and Dudley's life. Admitting that dementors were out and doing whatever they liked was a big No-No for them. Screw everybody else's security.