Reads a dictionary once

>reads a dictionary once

>reads a dictionary multiple times

his bars are so goddamn weak though

>takes one entry-level philosophy course
this guy is the most psuedo-intellectual rap I've ever heard

>that interview with melon
Absolutely awful.

he's started to drop off the whole name-drop phil101 shit and is coming more into his own since toothpaste suburb imo

i think he even said once he cant listen to his older stuff because it just sounded like a kid trying to show off

he's still shit though

I'm confused, why is everyone talking about Busdriver when he's not in the OP

ur mom is shit

desu a rapper that is trying to show off that he reads interesting books is way more engaging than even the bulk of rappers i am told are 'good lyricist'
also he sampled a richard rorty interview on red oleanders thats pretty dope

that sing song style he has is the problem with him

2bh i don't have a problem with the shit you guys call pseudo-intellectual unless it's like hopsin or something

i still love his old stuff
like, a lot of it gets kind of transparent with how much he wants to show off that he reads but there's also a kind of personableness or relatable vulnerability to it

and yeah, another dope tradeoff are all the little nuggets of wisdom that come out from him either quoting someone or putting interview/speech samples in
sure it's not coming from his own brain, but it's still some good shit

>he even said once he cant listen to his older stuff because it just sounded like a kid trying to show off
Good cause I may never listen to him ever again because of how much I cringed from the few songs I've heard

Look at his 2nd most popular song, Folk-Metaphysics. First of all, what type of fucking song title is that? It literally means nothing. It's just an excuse for him to use the word "metaphysics", which is NOT impressive. Everyone with a high school eduction knows that it simply means the study of existence. It's like when other autists mention quantum mechanics. It's just a buzzword used to imply unwarranted complexity. He may as well have called the song "Indie Quantum Mechanics". But even past the song title he still drops hilariously cringey lines like "I wish Hegel wasn't so incomprehensible // I wish I was more like the Übermensch". Like the song title, these lines mean absolutely nothing. They're just his ham-handed way of mentioning his mere awareness of two of the most commonly discussed philosophers of all time, Hegel and Nietzsche. Any student studying philosophy in college is well-versed in their work by the end of their second year, if not their first. He's not clever for name-dropping them, especially considering he explicitly states his knowledge is painfully surface-level. "I wish Hegel wasn't so incomprehensible" is a douchey way of saying "I don't understand what this extremely famous philosopher is saying, but let me mention his name real quick". Fucking cringe. "I wish I was more like the Übermensch" is a douchey way of saying "I wish I was a better person, but that's too cliché so let me shallowly allude Nietzsche". Again, fucking cringe. He offers no insight or understanding in his lyrics; instead, he merely attempts to gain credibility for himself by awkwardly acknowledging two of the safest, most acceptable philosophers imaginable. What a fucking dweeb. He's bad and he should feel bad.

are you gonna be okay

even as someone who has read a lot of these people, it is just kind of cool to find a rapper that can find a way to spit a verse about schopenhauer or marx or whoever that is actually decently captivating lyricism

if i had one beef to pick with milo it's that his actual rapping is underwhelming a lot of the time but i managed to overlook it enough to eat up his whole discography lol

it is a running joke that hegel's writing was delibaretely and annoyingly obtuse; many people will refer you to secondary text instead of reading hegel directly from the source
why is it so wild to drop a line about that?

lol desu

tell me more

Probably not. He's getting more popular every day

>it is a running joke that hegel's writing was delibaretely and annoyingly obtuse
Correct; it's a very popular running joke. Hense my frustration with people believing that he's intelligent for bringing it up. As I said, it's Philosophy 101 stuff
>why is it so wild to drop a line about that?
It's not wild if you mean wild in the "impressive" connotation. I just explained why. If you're asking why it bothers me so much, I explained that too. The line doesn't say anything, it just takes up space. To use your own words, please tell me what "I wish I could understand a 'deliberately and annoyingly obtuse' philosopher" means. Honestly? Does that statement have any inherent value whatsoever? No. What picture does it paint? What story does it tell? What insight does it provide? None. He merely uses it to impress whatever underage hip hop heads listen to him since most of them are still in high school. "Ooh philosophy... This guy's probably super deep and introspective", except he's not at all

>sampled rorty
thats pretty fucking dope

i get what point you're trying to make, but it was already made earlier in in fewer words and without singling in on acting obtuse about a simple line in a simple song

the song is him listing a bunch of small ways he wishes he was better (like the ability to easily digest hegel), before saying that it probably wont matter when he's older

that's pretty much it, it's a nice song, it's especially relatable to people in their teens-20's

again, i get how someone who has also studied philosophy would find his namedrops grating, but it's not that serious and he's mostly cut all that out from his music

>what type of fucking song title is that? It literally means nothing
>Like the song title, these lines mean absolutely nothing.

are you such a fucking pendantic postivist that you can't even abide the non-rigourous use of language in an artistic medium?

the irony here is delicious. what a pseud!

i guess the thing is, using these things to paint a picture is perfectly valid,and a change of pace from more standard methods of illustrating a wish for self-improvement,it also makes it more personal and perhaps relateable because of that specific detail of his own personality, imo.

this made me lmao

These were all me: , , . I appreciate your acknowledgment of my meme reply
I understand your rebuttal but it doesn't change the fact that his philosophical allusions sound extremely forced. He opens up the song with several refreshingly honest aspirations, like "I should not sit on this couch and watch Netflix" and "I just want to rap good and not sell bread sticks". These are fine, even great, lines within the context of the song. They're relatable and show humility, while also making more abstract observations about today's societal norms and professional opportunities. However, he then abruptly begins a discussion of 19th century philosophy for seemingly no reason other than to flaunt his trivial grasp of the subject. If mentioning his difficulty with comprehending Hegel was so important, he could've incorporated that idea without coming across as such an asshole. Why not something like "I wish abstract theories were within my reach"? Obviously I'm not a rapper, but you get what I mean.

>pendantic
Yikes
>postivist
More yikes
>non-rigourous
Thesaurus didn't have any other options?
>the irony here is delicious
My problem doesn't involve a "rigorous use of language". As I said, it's with his intentions. He clearly wanted to go for a quick attention grab by mentioning an ostensibly complicated subject like metaphysics. It's a cheap, albeit effective, way of getting unsuspecting listeners to consider some profound significance that isn't actually there. It's insulting

I disagree, but I respect your opinion. To me it feels like more like showboating than an attempt at painting a picture. I find it disingenuous, which consequently negates any previous authenticity he might have established

>yikes yikes yikes
real rhetorical haymakers you're throwing

>my problem doesn't involve a 'rigorous use of language'
>"first of all... it means literally nothing"
funny, because you've dismissed his lyrics and titles as 'literally' senseless. let me know when they read something other than vulgarized carnap or ayer for literary theory, in whatever shit grad department you've snuck into.

>i've transcended irony
if you can't see the irony of you accusing him of being a pseudo-intellectual, while you wax on and on about how everyone in high school is familiar with metaphysics and how 'everybody reads hegel', then i truly don't know what to tell you. i pity your colleagues.

someone post the pic where someone asked him if he goes on Sup Forums on his tumblr and then he went on a rant about white people

SUS

AS

FUCK

the soy is strong in this one

>real rhetorical haymakers you're throwing
More of an implied suggestion that you should learn to spell before attempting to discredit someone's intelligence, but ok

>you've dismissed his lyrics and titles as 'literally' senseless
I see you've conveniently avoided my whole argument about the intentions of his lyrics

>vulgarized carnap or ayer for literary theory
Why are you trying so hard, man? I know you think you're making an astute observation by dismissing me as some sort of logical positivist, but my criticism doesn't stem from "pseudostatements" -- you're giving Milo too much credit. He's not emoting anything, instead he's merely bragging about being aware of a couple philosophers. I also find it insulting that all of this occurs under the guise of self-improvement and humility, when the statements themselves are nothing more than intellectual masturbation.

>you wax on and on about how everyone in high school is familiar with metaphysics and how 'everybody reads hegel'
Add poor reading comprehension to the list of your faults. One of my main gripes with Milo's name-dropping is that his fans are most likely high-schoolers that haven't had the chance to study basic philosophical concepts like "metaphysics", "Nietzsche", and "Hegel", so to them it automatically sounds deep and esoteric. He's playing a cheap trick on his audience

this pic never fails to make me laugh, he truly hates everyone from here because of bad no-no words
the harry potter poster in the back is the cherry on top

on tumblr no less

yes complaining on twitter about an album name and then telling his fans to fuck off on tumblr

Walk on Water is shit

Even more of a reason to dislike this fuck. Not to mention the fact that he as a tumblr

yikes. those were some pretty crucial typos (not facetious).

look: i think its rich that, when the nub of your contention is that milo is fake deep (he uses citations to gain some appeared intellectual or artistic authority), you post on and on about metaphysics and hegel, and about how those references should be obvious to everybody (and as such, set yourself up as some intellectual authority). is there anything more "cringe" than some guy bragging about all the easy references he spots?

i haven't 'missed' your argument about intent. its a non-starter, it smacks arrogance and lack of charity. i don't understand how it hasn't occurred to you that there are deliberate, artistic choices to writing the lines as he has them, rather than your translations ("I wish abstract theories were within my reach", or w/e). while your rendition might capture some of milo's intent, it clearly doesn't capture the subtleties/ambiguities/richness of the line as he has it. i'm sorry for painting you with the verificationist brush, but when you think that artistic statements can be easily transcribed into a statement of plain-meaning, you've goofed. why didn't picasso just write "the fascists are bombing civilians" instead of making the visual allusions and references of 'guernica'? (isn't that just what the art 'means'?)

no. and as others in this thread have asserted, i think you're wrong to assume that this is name dropping for the sake of name-dropping, or that this name dropping can't have an important richness, such that it isn't just 'bad'. the line you cite is absolutely perfect: what better way to show how you're trying to grapple with these concepts than citing struggling with hegel? what better, and more vulnerable and naked, way to show the arrogance and naivety of youth by 'name-dropping' hegel on a mixtape?

sup milo

his criticism of Ride is very stupid. I willing to bet Ride really doesn't care if people see him as a token black guy or whatever Milo was trying to make him out to be

>reading comprehension

is it:

>"Everyone with a high school eduction[sic] knows that it simply means the study of existence."
>" They're just his ham-handed way of mentioning his mere awareness of two of the most commonly discussed philosophers of all time, Hegel and Nietzsche. Any student studying philosophy in college is well-versed in their work by the end of their second year, if not their first."
>"it's Philosophy 101 stuff"
?

or:

>"One of my main gripes with Milo's name-dropping is that his fans are most likely high-schoolers that haven't had the chance to study basic philosophical concepts like "metaphysics", "Nietzsche", and "Hegel""
?

are young people aware of these concepts and persons, or not? is milo bad for making easy references? or is he bad for making references people don't really appreciate, because its over there heads? maybe you could have a coherent position, in the interest of your readers (please don't try to make a distinction between highschoolers and green undergrads-- they both know nothing).

and more so: why does it matter what highschooler's are listening to? is your knowledge about hegel less valuable now that someone else knows of him, even though they haven't taken a seminar on 'the phenomenology of spirit'? isn't it actually pretty cool that kids might take a cue from the music they listen to, and start reading about philosophy?

yeah, and besides ride is like 10x blacker than milo the mutt lmao

meme grips

pretty cool of him

tell me more

he refuses to censor himself or lose dignity pandering to dumbass white kids on the internet, and it makes him a more interesting likeable person

shut up whiteboy

tell me more

>lowkey i hate a lot of the people who listen to my music. they’re mostly entitled white men who casually use words like that. if you come to my shows and say something even relatively in the same sphere as that word i will fight you. i wish you motherfuckers lost your infatuation with me after Fantano said i suck. honestly i don’t make music for you or your friends. i make music about how people like you and your friends are the source of galactic anxiety. i am not the same as you. i don’t think messages like this are charming or funny. fuck you.

>this is why I don't fuck with the white boys of Sup Forums as fans.
>recognize this is why I hate you.

can we fuck with him some more?

i hope

>I'm not racist, one of my best friends is white!

>"comma splice, hegel's toast sandwhich, i don't wanna be subjectivised"
also
>death grips cant say nigger

>set yourself up as some intellectual authority
So any response to Milo's references that actually discusses the references themselves is automatically an intellectual power grab? If so, how can we discuss the lines in question without you blowing your authority-whistle? Are you not guilty of the same crime yourself by critiquing my posts about Milo's comments on metaphysics?
>when you think that artistic statements can be easily transcribed into a statement of plain-meaning, you've goofed
When did I say that all art must be direct? Nice change of subject, you almost got me. But please, explain the artistic significance of the line "I wish Hegel wasn't so incomprehensible". Forget your circular theories for a moment, and try actually defending the line itself. What significance/insight does it truly offer? You mention "the subtleties/ambiguities/richness of the line as he has it", but my whole point is that he lacks all of those things -- I challenge you to find them.
>what better way to show how you're trying to grapple with these concepts than citing struggling with hegel? what better, and more vulnerable and naked, way to show the arrogance and naivety of youth by 'name-dropping' hegel on a mixtape
Hmmmm. So now saying dumb/embarrassing things is lauded as a "perfect" display of "the arrogance and naivety of youth". Do you have ANY standards or taste, or do you simply choose to ignore what little you have? At least now I know if I write a song about taking a shit during algebra, you'll support my work and its refreshingly youthful perspective

autism unleashed

is nobody going to point out that it's lord of the rings lmao

>randomly chooses words from a dictionary

>it's a milo namedrops the five authors he knows of song

holy shit you must have watched a lot of rick and morty

he's a bit of a twat

and this is a shit thread full of needless posturing

>please don't try to make a distinction between highschoolers and green undergrads
Seems like you already know you've presented a false dichotomy in my argument. I make a clear distinction between highschoolers, whom generally know nothing about philosophy, and college undergrads, whom often know the very basics about philosophy. Regardless, if you genuinely believe there is no difference between the knowledge of a 16 year old (high school sophomore) and that of a 20 year old (college sophomore), then you might as well stop reading
>why does it matter what highschooler's are listening to
The problem is that Milo isn't educating anyone, he's taking advantage of the youth's ignorance for his own personal benefit. He knows that the average hip hop head isn't well versed in philosophy, so he chooses to drop vapid lines that appear profound to the uninitiated, and thus he gains artistic credibility without artistic merit
>isn't it actually pretty cool that kids might take a cue from the music they listen to, and start reading about philosophy?
Are you really that naive? Do you honestly believe that some highscooler will hear the line "I wish Hegel wasn't so incomprehensible" and decide to actually study Hegel's works? Or do you think said highschooler will hear the Hegel namedrop and be tricked into believing Milo is the best lyricist out right now because of all the "deep shit" he talks about? I'll give you a hint, Hegel isn't getting more popular, Milo is