Is it worth going to university for music? i have 3 days to decide

Is it worth going to university for music? i have 3 days to decide

What are your other options? What instrument?

No

guitar n vocals, more into songwriting than just instrument mastery though. Other options are staying at home learning/writing by myself while i get a casual job

Unless your fucking mozart tier don't. Don't follow your dreams, kid. If you are going to college go for a profitable safe degree in the maths/sciences or you will end up tens of thousands in dept with nothing to show for it. Don't ask me what to go for. Figure it out yourself and be a man.

"I didn't go to music school, I went to musics."
Anthony Fantano

unless you're going to do audio engineering. no its not worth it

ty for ur opinion but im gonna do it either way

It's very fun and you get great networks, but is kind of right, you mostly just end up with lots of dept and a regular job, unless you go for production/engineering which will likely get you an actual job in a recording studio or at a live venue. That's what i'm doing.

No. Everyone I have ever known was literally worse off from it. Just my opinion and it's not like I know everyone but I am very serious. Private lessons.

Alright man, you're old enough to make your own decisions. But don't say no one didn't warn you.

College is so fucking expensive dude, unless it's being payed for by someone other than you, don't pursue a music degree. Just my two cents, though most logical people should tell you the same thing

Follow your dreams but from what you've said you are an extremely poor candidate for university. I don't mean that in a bad way either.

Did we just collectively witness a man throwing away his whole life in real time?

I guess so

No.
Not unless you find debt and wasting time fun.

Yea man follow your dreams my nigga. Fuck what all the haters so if you want it go for it it'll all work itself out in the end. Fuck debt no ones holding a gun to your head saying you gotta pay it it'll pay itself off when you making all that cash you feel me?

Universities have the power to garnish paychecks. Technically it's the government but same difference. I intercepted their letters to my employer for a whole year before they did it to me. The receptionist kept telling me I got mail.

do you wanna "be a musician"?

or do you wanna play music

sweet, i guess most people here are on my side about not going. thanks guys

No prob. Private lessons asap

My personal experience: I'm studying at musical conservatory at Amsterdam. I've never regretted any of my decisions. My first 4 years in my hometown musical college were pretty hard and I was not clear about my future at all. I'd say, you should go if you consider yourself as hard working guy. Hard work makes everything dude. Good luck. :)

I no joke should've. Instead im studying stem and regretting everyday.

Make sure you got your priorities straight. For example, I didn't study music to make some cash, it wasn't my plan. I am studying music because I want to play music, not to earn with it. That's the main reason if you are still thinking about it. /Amsterdam guy once again/

you are such a muh songwriting faggot. you better do production so you can grab cash from rapper wanna be niggers

College of Music is great if and only if you want to pursue classical music or high-end Jazz performance. And of course production (specifically as a producer, not as a musician), classical composition, etc.

If you're just songwriting or pursuing music in a way that's not classical rigor, DO NOT go to a College of Music.

Here's another take. I'm four years out of college and still saddled with debt and don't even have a job in my field. I even went STEM. If I could do it all again, I'd say fuck it and go to art school [spoiler]or trade school if I decided I actually wanted a job. I'm thinking of switching to an apprenticeship now if I can find a promising opening[/spoiler] because then I could at least do what I want to do in my personal life and I wouldn't be any worse off in my professional life.

What subject?

Have you started making music decades ago? Are you a fairly well-known musician in your local scene? Which genre of music do you want to play? To answer all of this - if you're a musician with a shred of self respect, you are not going to make a living playing music, that is if the answers to the first and second questions are negative. You might be able to support yourself while studying, but you can't wait for gigs to feed your family.

if you want to still come here and complain that it sucks but get perks like drugs and pussy (maybe - or dick) and essentially leanr little and especially ZERO that will help you to have balls to RELEASE music and not simply make it but then you can become some session player and make money - you are not really giving enough bacground
\

MAKE YOUR OWN FUCKING DECISION

>still saddled with debt and don't even have a job in my field.
prob because you didn't get INTERNSHIPS

That's where you're wrong, friend. My whole senior year I interned with the town's planning department with several smaller internships before that. When hiring time came, they completely ignored me, hired other people, and just got a new intern the next year. And I'm certainly not in a position where I can work for free now.

pardon?

stop wasting time here and focus on music

I'm at work now. The one good thing about my current job is that it's mostly time spent on the computer. But things have come to a head and I need to get out of here. Looking for other jobs in between posts. Hoping I can luck into a trade apprenticeship or maybe I can switch back down to art time and struggle for a while while i go to trade school or get my cdl.

what type of music do you play/instrument?

Violin for about... ten years now? Though to be honest when I said art school, I personally meant drawing art. I like music, but turning it into a career would take out a lot of what I like about it.

you don't look at it like that, you can perform in theater or record on albums and make money and guarantee you, family will always fuck with you and never call it a career even if it's paying rent

Probably not. The only way you're likely to find employment after graduating is going music education, and even then you'll likely end up teaching high school fir the rest of your life.
t. Music ed major

I'm having a hard time putting it into words, but music is much more personal for me. Even adding a paycheck kind of ruins what I like about it. For some reason, drawing is different. I want to get good at drawing so people can enjoy my art, but I want to get good at music so I can play alone, keep it to myself, and have that one thing that's just for me. I started in middle school and quit the school band when I went to high school because playing with or for other people isn't what I want.