/daily/ - Festive Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TU-MYe0SL9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-fckkHG7M
blancheblancheblanche.bandcamp.com/track/final-notice
youtube.com/watch?v=GK_nDPY8E84
youtube.com/watch?v=dkqTM4K68ME
youtube.com/watch?v=o6BsxnBI7Ng
youtube.com/watch?v=QZcaUg-QTnI
youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2uR4pgPTY
youtube.com/watch?v=A6zYwe3YCiI
youtube.com/watch?v=wwOipTXvNNo
youtube.com/watch?v=QDmWYVdN8ug
youtube.com/watch?v=oRIyw-pJkUk
youtube.com/watch?v=QmDGntpZC3I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cow

first for old electronics

stupid cowposter, your glory days are long gone

I am offended that the original image used for this was a warm grey, but all the edits, especially that nasty manga grandpa in the back, are a neutral or cold grey.

Whoever made this should be ashamed!

The Virgin Duckposter vs the Chad Cowposter

>tfw just discovered ubuweb

the only good cowpost was the original
you're a washed up spinoff and you know it

>Prof accidentally posted assignment solutions today at 2pm when it wasn't due until 11:59pm

we can't all be photoshop memelords like you

About once a week the word 'cowposting' crosses my mind and makes me chuckle, please do not bully cowbro.

should I release a "choof plays" ep of my pseudo-tape loops

Sorry this one took so long, life got in the way again.

>Meds - Placebo
Some okay 00's alt. Some songs are good, some are bad, typical shit.
5/10
>Strategies Against Architecture III - Einstürzende Neubauten
Some really cool moments, some moments that were boring. With a two hour run time it roughly evened out. May re-listen to again though, there's some stuff worth coming back to.
5/10
>13 Blues for Thirteen Moons - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band
Eh. I personally prefer my post rock more orchestral than this. This just sounds like some emo band whining about nothing in particular. There are some moments where the band goes crazy, I particularly like the drum solo on Black Waters Blowed, but they where far and in between.
4/10

an important lesson to learn in life is that German /daily/ posters have taste that is incomprehensible to lower life forms such as ourselves

>Sorry this one took so long, life got in the way again.
idk why you're getting shit, you're progressing faster than any new trip that ever went through this, they're just a buncha unpatient buttsuckers

*impatient
fuck
Too much writing in one day brain FRIED

Thanks man, I just want to get to everyone as quick as I can, there is to much good stuff out there.

lmao yeah, you're speeding through these my dude

i think the ppl asking why you were going slow were memeing because i thought you were going more quickly than most of everyone else. its admirable.

>unpatient

jimmy jazz is in a perpetual state of meme flux, don't take him completely serious
I may be bottom of the chart, but don't rush yourself if you don't want to

btfo

Actually spent ALL day typing up labs so I'm mentally drained.
it was a pretty dumb mistake tho but I caught it right away
Just remember - if you do good enough in high school when you get there, you can be as successful as me one day and make dumb spelling mistakes on Sup Forums.

>Use lab groups title page for my individual assignment because it's nice
>delete all the names/signatures except mine
>wew looks nice
>submit it
>didn't catch that my name is spelled wrong

Should I drop out or get my name legally changed to hide from the shame?

>Sorry this one took so long
it didn't, actually
mad props dude, this thing took me a while

>76545514
it wasn't too bad
30 bucks plus shipping
it was the mexican summer reissue. came with a bonus 10 in" of unreleased material which was nice

og copy is ultra rare, fetches up to a 1000 dollars im p sure

meant for

Thinking about a holiday name. I wonder if I can do better than "denjingle bells"

>Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour/Golden Mile
You'd expect a 5 track 20 minute EP to be tightly concise, but this is pretty much the opposite. The songs have no coherence beyond sharing the bland umbrella of "soft indie guitar music." Honestly they're not bad (I like the opener in particular), but this sounds more like a promo from some nobody than the debut release of a member of Grizzly Bear.
2.5+

>SpaceGhostPurrp - Mysterious Phonk: The Chronicles of SpaceGhostPurrp
I didn't like Blackland Radio 66.6 very much, so this came as a surprise. I guess dropping the lo-fi and removing all the Mortal Kombat samples made the instrumentals sound more atmospheric, which I like. SGP's rapping also follows suit with a deeper, more subdued delivery. Personally I don't like sexual hip-hop very much outside of miami bass, but the mood alone can make even Suck A Dick 2012 sound dark and mysterious.
3.5-

what next

dinzel

>denjingle bells
Don't do this I'm already Jingle Bell man

s vs ricebeansandegg
First things first I have to say how interesting this key was, I guess because I'm not used to these types of music

>Sigh - Imaginaty Sonicscape
A lot of things happening here, it's so eclectic it distances itself from all the metal albums I've listened to (not many btw). They throw a bunch of ideas and prodigious playing without giving a pretentious feel, it's just awesome.
7.5+

>Colugo - " Nice Cardigans "
A bunch of nice moments here and there, most of them in the second half tho, so the first one could be accused for having more filler and just lasting more than it should to build up.

lol I always forgot to put my name when using chrome

this is aces

hype for excel vs B4%A5%E2%B7%A2%13%E3%, both are fantastic albums.

ok I decided on one what does everybody think of my christmas name :0

yeah, I don't wanna be a copycat.

hmm
it also sounds like an ironic mispelling so I can dig it

I added Silfra to my backlog when I saw it recommended on here (I guess by him) a few weeks ago
and it will be my first time listening to a live album by Tim Buckley, I always hear good comments about his live performances so yeah I'm hyped

oh i missed reading the GOK review! what'd you think?

I blind bought Silfra from a thrift store for a loonie some time last year, very glad I did!
That Buckley is easily in the running for the best thing he's ever made.
Should be a great faceoff but Buckley will probably win.

oh shit this was not what I was expecting
shouldn't have slept on this

Super fun album, everybody should heck it out desu.

Bruce Springsteen - The River (1980)
>heartland rock, singer/songwriter, pop rock

A few decent tunes can't save this bloated, cheesy pop rock album. You probably already know the best songs on here: "The Ties That Bind", "Hungry Heart", and "The River". These three songs represent Springsteen at his wide-eyed best, singing melancholy songs about blue-collar Americans in a way only he can, with great melodies and soaring arrangements. Outside of a few stray tracks on the a-side, the rest of the album is fairly middling. He manages to keep a consistent atmosphere throughout, but Springsteen's music is not well-suited for sprawling double albums, making the second disc almost completely worthless. Condensed Springsteen is a lot better.

2.0+

The Grateful Dead - Live/Dead (1969)
>psychedelic rock, jam band

For a jam band, they're great, of course! The instrumental performances are great, the songs perfectly replicate a psychedelic, druggy feeling. It's just that they're so damn boring to listen to. I wasn't a huge fan of American Beauty, but that down-to-earth rootsy country sound sits with me a lot better than this overlong, drawn-out stuff. "Turn on Your Love Light" is a cool attempt at more tuneful songwriting, the rest I can't get behind at all.

Skinny Puppy - Last Rights (1992)
>electro-industrial

So much better than Too Dark Park. Skinny Puppy's aesthetic is laughably dark on that aforementioned album, while this record takes their sound in more interesting, more mature directions. It has missteps when it rests on the group's standard, danceable electro-industrial laurels, when it takes risks and moves more into experimental/noise territories it hits hard.

it said pretty much how I was smiling through the whole thing because how charming it is

nice! and yeah I guess Tim Buckley is some kind of a heavyweight on these things, something hard to beat. but I'll know tomorrow

also I guess I'll join the fun with the christmas name. which should it be:
1) frhuitcake or 2) huit chocolate ?

also

>Hasn't updated name to Jingle&Belljingle yet

She do anything else as good as Expanding Universe?

What did Keiji Haino ever do to you?

>frhuitcake
>huit chocolate
heck those are both good.

I like frhuitcake though

It's not December yet but if we're doing it then we're doing it

frhuitcake is pretty meme, gets my vote

I like that picture. Do you think that piggly boy has been good this year? I hope santa brings nice cool mud to roll around in

youtu.be/TU-MYe0SL9Q
This shit sounds like the gloomy 60s psych you people cream yourselves over

I'm editing a christmas-themed daily OP image, pls give me your best (most classic) /daily/ memes!

omg is he death from seventh seal

cow

кoт

You can actually post emojis if you put them in the filename

another

I think so lmao

Playing records at the wrong speed is lots of fun. Ask Jangle.

yet another

I wouldn't let those two Dead albums discourage you from exploring more of their catalog. They've got at least two or three more worth checking out imo, even if you haven't loved everything else. Skull and Roses is nice and concise and probably avoids a lot of the issues you had with Live/Dead.

This is also coming from someone who's getting super into them lately though.

who remember the short lived synctube

forcedmeme.targa

also here's Sondre Claus

I don't have any somehow, but the Doggy nose is of course necessary
And the Jimmy Jazz clothing store

more /rym/ related but have anyways

what song are you currently playing the most, /daily/?
for me, it's this random greenlandic pop song. so good.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-fckkHG7M

blancheblancheblanche.bandcamp.com/track/final-notice

fuckkk this was right after I joined but didn't matter yet

I'm still sad that they didn't mention me ;_;

I'm like the /daily/ ghost.

was this when plug died?

also does anyone have the op image where it was everyone burying plug? that one was so good

also misha

First track here
youtube.com/watch?v=GK_nDPY8E84

Does Shamepai still think he's a girl?

hehe

natkingcole and I'M FISH are the most important trips on this entire board and therefore the most important tastemakers of all music discussion online. Moreso than any modern Internet critic imo save for maybe Fantano. /daily/ has a lot of power in determining what is "cool" and in many cases even what gets reissued by modern music labels which I think is really understated. /daily/ has a large population of lurkers and is just as influential as Pitchfork or Consequence of Sound in many cases.

I'll never admit this non-user but /daily/ is one of the few places where actual music discussion on the Internet ever happens. I'd argue /daily/ is the only place I've ever known where there's actual non-circlejerk discussion about music-related topics happen, which is why I keep coming back to these thread despite never posting. The crazy thing is I know I'm never alone and hundreds of anons form their music opinions droning these trips. Did you SEE how many RYM visits I'M FISH in particular had?Who else could say that for any rateyourmusic profile on Sup Forums except for /daily/ users? I'd like to see how many NatKingCole has actually.

I know to many I'll seem like autism, but then ask yourself: If you're not exactly like me why are you browsing these threads? You're here to find out what the hottest and best-sounding music is like the rest of Sup Forums, except now that Sup Forums has gone to near-Sup Forums bait these threads are all that's left. The people who used to and still do post here are some of the most important music critics of our time I guarantee it.
(hype for your photo tho you make top notch memes)

E L E V E N
L
E
V
E
N

also can't forget the second of october

does anyone have that pic of tuco riding a bull in a swans shirt

Had my last day of vacation today so I got a chance to go golfing with my neighbor (was actually not terrible) and also ramble a little bit about music!

[1/2]

Taj Mahal - s/t

I’m not typically the biggest fan of electric stuff when it comes to blues but this dude really rips it up. “E Z Rider” is the only original on the album and is clearly the standout but the rest range from solid to fantastic. He manages to bring these more solemn, acoustic blues numbers into more energetic yet still passionate performances. Really don’t know enough about blues to continue rambling about this album but it’s a rare electric album that I loved.

4/5

Gucci Mane - Mr Zone 6

Gucci and DJ Drama is clearly a killer combo. Burrprint 3D is one of Gucci’s best projects and Drama’s occasional ad-libs, as annoying as they usually are, manage to work really well in amping the whole thing up. Luckily, the ad-libs are minimal here, as Drama only pops in on a few songs. The beats on here, though not all Drama’s afaict, are all awesome and a few even hint toward the style Gucci started to thrive on about 2 or 3 years ago. “Rooftop” in particular sounds like something that could’ve come out in the past year and it’s certainly one of the best songs Gucci has come out with. Gucci himself is awesome as always, providing some awesome punchlines on songs like “Normal”, “Koolin” and “Socialite”. He has a bad habit of pushing his friends onto tracks though, with two somewhat unnecessary features from Waka and Yo Gotti and a rare dud from Bun B. Oddly enough, this may have been better without any features. Or just with some better picks.

Some real duds in the middle that drag the album down but the production is consistently tight and the standouts, namely “Normal” and “Rooftop”, are some of the best I’ve heard from Gucci.

google 'coordinates of pacific ocean'
I'm scared to post it

[2/2] (here's a bit of a ramble again)

Grateful Dead - Dick’s Picks (heh), Vol 3

This starts out really fucking slow… so slow in fact that I almost didn’t listen past the first half of “Sugaree”. The recording on “The Music Never Stopped” is absolutely awful and I can barely hear what Jerry is trying to sing. There are moments later (“Eyes of the World”) where I did the same thing - the mics pan nonstop and it’s disorienting. However, when you push past a few poor tracks, the rest of this is pretty damn solid.

Disc 1 is a bit inconsistent imo, featuring some okay cuts like “Supplication” and a so-so recording of “Dancing on the Streets”. Once the band hits “Lazy Lightning”, they get into such a good groove, it’s like the energy of the whole place completely changes. It’s one of the most consistently entertaining tracks these guys have - so maybe that helped. The stretch from “Help on the Way” to “Franklin’s Tower” is also one of the best stretches I’ve heard from the Dead and is a perfect cap to disc 1. Disc 2 feels much more long-winded despite having similar song lengths - but that’s actually a good thing. The band has some awesome soloing on “Samson and Delilah” and the near 15 minute “Eyes of the World”. And “Estimated Prophet” is fantastic as well. They don’t pack as much into the short songs on this recording so the longer tracks actually benefit them.

Doesn’t touch recordings like Skull and Roses or Cornell ‘77 and is maybe the worst live album I’ve heard from them so far. But it’s got some very worthwhile moments scattered throughout the whole thing.

yeah i'd definitely love to delve deeper into their catalogue, they seem interesting and i really wanna like them.

i gotta say "friend of the devil" from american beauty was on heavy rotation for me over the summer, fucking GREAT track

can't believe that there was enough hate for /daily/ even when it was only 8 months old

and i'll never not be salty that i wasn't mentioned

also coalfelps hasn't posted on daily since early 2015 but dude was a good writer, had a lot of personality

Almost done, need about 4-5 more *classic* daily memes, keep it up!

had to search but here

the (((nose))) better make it in

youtube.com/watch?v=dkqTM4K68ME
youtube.com/watch?v=o6BsxnBI7Ng
youtube.com/watch?v=QZcaUg-QTnI
youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2uR4pgPTY
youtube.com/watch?v=A6zYwe3YCiI
youtube.com/watch?v=wwOipTXvNNo
youtube.com/watch?v=QDmWYVdN8ug

also any of these

Fahey blows his nose?
Hail satan robot?
Avant-reggaeton?

I may not be able to fit it into the final image, but here's a memeable png version for you all to enjoy.

Art 1992

beautiful

what do you use to crop so well?

yeah this too
youtube.com/watch?v=oRIyw-pJkUk

>hey fish that uchu album is pretty killer, on the last track now what should I listen to from their early stuff?
>Jangle was an unironic Fishposter once

Why don't you listen to barbershop, Sup Forums?
youtube.com/watch?v=QmDGntpZC3I

You guys are really great you know that? Like for real I couldn't ask for better people to listen to me rant about music. Thanks guys.

>Sing to God - Cardiacs
This is really fun. The voices, the compositions, everything has this great upbeat nature to it. Made me want to dance the entire time, actually I did dance for Bellyeye, that was a lot of fun.
7/10
>Heartland - Owen Pallett
Crazy enjoyable. Fun instrumentation, sad lyrics, great sense of progression. Absolutly fantastic.
7/10
>Wooden Ball - Blanche Blanche Blanche
Quirky. Midi with meh vocals but interesting lyrics. Overall didn't really effect me.
5/10

With that I am off to hit the hay. Love ya daily!

still is in many ways

I just draw around the edges with the lasso tool, then cut it out.

im glad u had fun with two of these

lmao still can't believe I did that, was literally the first day meeting him

I don't remember the password for that account so I can't delete it pls don't read that thanks

Holy fuck just laughed so loud

Good night!

pls use for the daily on christmas day thread!

I work very hard for u bois!

Any suggested edits are welcome.

o heck I need a meme for the yellow decoration behind the head, a half-meme

pls halp!