Harry Potter

what's the best movie? what's the worst?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4v92gXetGqA
youtu.be/u981JhkK46o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=4v92gXetGqA

everyone says this but 3 is head and shoulders above the competition. it's really a pretty movie

They all suck

3 4

Best: Prisoner of Azkaban

Worst: Order of the Phoenix

1 2 3 fantastic beasts 7b 4 7a 6 5

order of the phoenix is the second best

I have no opinion on this matter, I'm just waiting in this thread for the inevitable "No!" poster.

Essentially this right here. It is without a doubt one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!" I shout
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

kek

God I love you.

You're doing God's work, user.

Well, this really depends. There are a lot of factors for "best" movie.

Most Artistic and Creative: 3 by far, with 1, and 2 losing by being the most pedestrian.
Best Adaptation: 1 or 2, with 5 losing by far (shortest film by 15 minutes, longest book by what, 85 pages? No shit it misses out a lot.)
Tonally Closest to the Book it's based on: 1,2, 7 and 8 are all candidates for this. 6 is the worst. Sudden Rom Com to make up for the lack of any romantic development in the 5th film
Best acting: Well no shit, the older the main cast are, the better they act. Having said that, the earlier films have more scenes devoted to the adult characters, and they do steal the show.
Deepest emotion: 7 and 8 by far. 3 probably loses this, very flashy but guts the whole Sirius story for more time on zany set pieces like the night bus.
Best Effects: The Later films win this. Again, no shit.
Best Balance between Whimsy and Darkness: Fantastic Beasts wins this. Seriously, all the potter films are SHIT at this, except maybe 3 and 4, and they aren't great.
Most interesting: Fantastic Beasts, on account of being new information, least is probably goblet by virtue of having the dumbest plot to start with, that or 6 for fucking up our villain's backstory.
Best Music: John Williams>James Newton Howard>Alexander Desplat
Best Script: Fantastic Beasts wins by virtue of rowling actually writing it. If you want a main series film to win then obviously 1 or 2 by virtue of not fucking desecrating the books (their pacing is snail paced though, sigh). Worst offender is 5 by cutting everything out, closely followed by 6 for ROM COM SHITTINESS
Least Scenes fucked up: Easy win again to Fantastic Beasts, every main series film shits all over some aspect of the established cannon.

So, to finalise my autism, and for the reasons highlighted above:

FB>7>8>3>1>4>2>6>5

Anyone one know why The Freeform network doesn't show Order of the Phoenix?

They play all the HP movies except that one and Order of the Phoenix on HBO. It irritates me.

this and this but exclude the book rankings

If this upsets you, remember that I love the books so much I can't stand them being made into inferior films. 7 + 8 really are 1 film but 8 has a lot of silliness with dissolving bodies and exchanging dialog for wand swashbuckling so it loses just a touch. 3 isn't a great adaptation but it actually feels like a movie compared to all the others so it wins points for that. I fucking hate order of the phoenix. I always have and I always will.

KNEW IT
I was off by a whole 6 minutes though, gonna have to get my predictions more accurate next time

I liked how few punches Fantastic Beasts pulled.

That being said this is the best film youtu.be/u981JhkK46o

You
Just
Know

Best: Prisoner of Azkaban, Deathly Hollows Pt 1

Worst: Order Of The Phoenix

tfw to intelligent two enjoy anything HP related aside from HP and the Methods of Rationality

feels bad man

You're actually a complete fucking retard if you don't think that Prisoner of Azkaban is the best HP movie.

Azkaban had the whole untucked shirt bullshit, but otherwise it was the best. Phoenix is unquestionably the worst. The camping part of Deathly Hallows 1 was shit, but everything prior to that was good enough to put it above Phoenix.

You know what? You're 100% correct. I revise my original list. I also add powergaps because fuck it, more autism.

WP;DR>>>FB>7>8>3>4>>>>>>>>>>