If she wanted to, would she overshadow Madonna at the 80s?

If she wanted to, would she overshadow Madonna at the 80s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=joni mitchell
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=kate bush
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=pj harvey
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=tori amos
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=bjork
youtu.be/sp3AMBGV4xI?t=55
youtu.be/VjEq-r2agqc
youtube.com/watch?v=m6aRdJn5JsM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not with that high pitched voice and her weird antics. actually she was too popular considering how weird she was. madonna has an inoffensive "normal" voice, kate doesn't.

btw she was the grimes of the 80s.

She had actual hits like WH

never listened to her but in photos she looks like the perfect pothead waif

however kate had the support of a big label. grimes had indie hits, tho.
i meant more from the point of view of artistry, diy, synthy art pop, general quirkness and high pitched vocals.

shes so fucking ugly

New album when

Unusually, Kate Bush was paid to just learn stuff for a couple of years and then do a record. Its where all the dancing comes from, she took lessons. Its hard to argue against it being a worthwhile investment overall.
This was from a time when record companies actually had money.

[WH is actually my favourite David Gilmour guitar solo].

She made Hounds of Love, OP.

Hounds of Love.

This alone makes her the best female musician of that decade.

I knew Gilmour helped her get started but I didn't realize he played on any of her songs. Is it just Wuthering Heights or other songs too?

>mhh... mommy

those were different times. someone like grimes would have no chance to have a career in the 80 because she was mostly self taught and gained experience by actually making a lot of music in her own private studio. professional studio time was and still is very expensive and no one has time and willingness to sign such risky artists.

Rocket's Tail and Love and Anger

>indie labels didn't exist during the 80's
are you fucking retarded?

hey you watch your mouth kid

Damn, I was wrong, it isn't him. But its someone Alan Parsons got in to play like him so I guess thats forgivable. Maybe.

are you stupid? do you think that even those indie labels would allow her unlimited studio time to perfect her production, songwriting and singing? those equipments (especially synths) were expensive as fuck. without a home studio grimes would be a nobody. she was at the right time and at the right place.

some people believe that grimes made masterpieces out of thin air. they will never see how many days and nights she spent working and scrapping tons of songs to improve her skills.

She's still a nobody and you need to stop autistically bringing her up in every thread.

she's relevant, bro. i'm gonna copy paste this:

Grimes: 959K
fb/actuallygrimes

Bjork: 3.2M
fb/bjork

Kate Bush: 675K
fb/katebush

Tori Amos: 865K
fb/toriamos

Joni Mitchell: 353K
fb/jonimitchellcom

PJ Harvey: 936K
fb/PJHarvey

Her biggest hit is Genesis and it has over 45 million views on Youtube. Compare that to:
Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now (Live, 1970) - about 5 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=joni mitchell

Kate Bush: Wuthering Heights - about 27 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=kate bush

PJ Harvey: Henry Lee (feat. Nick Cave) - 8.5 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=pj harvey

Tori Amos: Smells Like Teen Spirit - 6 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=tori amos

Bjork: All Is Full of Love - 18 million views
youtube.com/results?sp=CANQFA%3D%3D&q=bjork

Grimes is hardly a literal who. One song of her has more views than the biggest hits of Joni Mitchell, Bjork, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey COMBINED.

Key word is "autistically".

Sup Forums is full of autists, including yourself and excluding myself. anything new?

why is this autist talking about Grimes in a Kate thread?

anyway, no OP i don't think she could've. Madonnas image, clothing and music videos were way more marketable than anything Kate did
she made way better music tho

I guess Kate is just some different type of popstar

why do you autist care about what other people say? is it your fucking board?

>why do Kate Bush fans care that Grimes autists are derailing every thread about her

>derailing
you're stretching it, autist

>second post brings up Grimes for no reason
Worse than kpop fags.

>for no reason
the reason was that kate was the grimes of the 80s. that's plenty of reason.
>Worse than kpop fags.
like i give a shit about your hate charts. you know that saying: haters gonna hate.

She aslo, from what I've heard and seen, was huge all along in England. She didnt get big in America until Hounds but she supposedly beat madonna off the charts I think I'm the UK.

Yoh should listen to the debut. David Gilmour co produced it and ahes literally the perfect wife to aspire to have.

Tfw I am not sure if hes right are wrong (I just thought he co produced and didnt play). His voice is on The Dreaming record though (it's quite obvious actually. You'll know in a second)

See some of the earlier replies in this post

Oh God Daddy
I won't forget...

>masterpieces

You gay bru?

>the reason was that kate was the grimes of the 80s. that's plenty of reason.

Except shes is not. Do you have ears? Are you deaf? Do you consider this electro shit she does music?

are you brain damaged

in the 80's she was a literal goddess

user it's not worth it, the picture will explain why

I perfer her in the 70's (got that 18-20 year old qt look) but she's THE Goddess Queen of Sup Forums

hnnnggghh

I just salivate sometimes

just try to imagine being that hot - you could do anything

The best part is she's a Tory, so she's conservative and she was against the feminists she didn't like how they were as vicious against men and thought they should lead by example (paraphrased). Literally the queen waifu

logical conclusion to perfection

wish she never got old

shut up, you idiot. fyi kate bush also used synths ("electro shit") in her music. did you even listen to running up that hill, pleb?

>she's THE Goddess Queen of Sup Forums
you wish. someone else has daily threads, not her... i doubt that this meme board is such a fan of mom-pop.

I understand what your saying, but you do realize that's like a false equalivency. It's like if Cloud Rap makes a come back in 20-30 years and then you compare Lil Botty Beep to A$AP Rocky or someone who was making music that was following or influenced by a trend at the time. You could say the same if Prince was a woman, if anything Grimes is indebted to Kate

>t. thinks popularity/numbers is how you gauge the queen. You realize that a lot of the people who are peoples waifus have been directly or 2nd hand influcenced by Kate. It's like she's the waifu top and the tree branches out of her womb and the rest are offspring of offspring on and on.

I know, Now I just need to go to Kent to find me a woman like her hopefully :(

Well without going into which one of these queens are the most talented Kate was certainly the best looking of any of them

she came before the rest of the art pop waifus too

>Well without going into which one of these queens are the most talented
of course it's grimes. she is the one with the real talent, not kate who had many people working for her like a music factory. see pic related. grimes could do anything from singing to production and artwork.
>was certainly the best looking of any of them
is this waifufag general? no one cares. if they were men you wouldn't even mention that.

>if anything Grimes is indebted to Kate
she's not. she discovered kate much later, after she already started making music for years.

Grimes is alright, but she kinda has the benefit of not being a literal teenager when she kicked off. Probably also helps that she has all the post-millennial DIY trickery at her disposal, it was slightly harder to produce an art-pop record on your own in 1978.

also grimes might benefit from having a few helpers around, she might get someone to write better songs

>t. thinks popularity/numbers is how you gauge the queen.
exactly. otherwise anyone could claim anything. e.g. suzanne vega is the queen of Sup Forums. well, prove it.
>You realize that a lot of the people who are peoples waifus have been directly or 2nd hand influcenced by Kate. It's like she's the waifu top and the tree branches out of her womb and the rest are offspring of offspring on and on.
it doesn't matter. your waifu kate was also influenced by other older artists. the cycle goes on and on. stop pretending that arty music with female vocalists started with kate bush. kate was the art pop queen of the 80s. now it's a different decade. get with the times.

>If she wanted to, would she overshadow Madonna at the 80s?
She could've promoted herself in the states and worldwide if she was willing to do more shows or promotional appearances. Her main problem is that she's scared shitless of travelling. I don't think she's even stepped foot in Hollywood.

It's a shame too, thought she just released that live album of her 2014 show last year.

>Implying she has better songs than Kate

wow Sup Forums is autistic

who are influences of Grimes

that's not what I'm implying at all

I'm guessing that was meant for someone else

those credits were for hounds of love. at that time kate was already an adult.
>Probably also helps that she has all the post-millennial DIY trickery at her disposal, it was slightly harder to produce an art-pop record on your own in 1978.
maybe. but also the musical landscape is much crowded now. it's much harder to make an impact these days. do you believe that kate would be so known if she started in this decade?
>also grimes might benefit from having a few helpers around, she might get someone to write better songs
i doubt it. she's a huge control freak. that's why her music sounds so consistent because it has been made by one person. when she did a collab (e.g. go), the resulting song is significantly different than her usual output.

The musical nuances Kate applies to her music isnt even close to a pleb like Grimes and her shitty electro garbage.

Thats REAL musicianship.

>who are influences of Grimes
claire hamill, mariah carey, beyonce, panda bear (the album person pitch made her to start making music), some russian classical music, a lot of jpop and kpop, marylin manson, skinny puppy, aphex twin, trent reznor, outkast, cocteau twins, enya, prince, bowie, dandi wind, tool, yeah yeah yeahs, depeche mode, the klf, some obscure idm, hildegard von bingen, this sort of stuff.

The Kick Inside, she was 19 years old and Wuthering Heights went to #1. It's also arguably her second most famous and enduring song. Like it or not Kate's impact on music far outweighs anything Grimes has ever done.

As much as I like Grimes too, her output is consistent, but it's not consistently good. On any Grimes record you can't really say all the songs are of a similar standard, most people would agree that there are good tracks, and less interesting tracks, whatever they are.

nice try. just admit that you don't get her electro stuff. it's your fault, not hers. speaking of musical nuances, not even kate bush could come close to the delicacy and subtlety of songs such as skin, life in the vivid dream, heartbeats, know the way, crystal ball or dream fortress.

(funny how you Don't mention Kate)
oh what's this

Grimes cites the following as influences:
>Marilyn Manson
>Mariah Carey
>Britney Spears
>Enya
>Kate Bush
>Beyoncé
>Bikini Kill,
>Joanna Newsom,
>Burial,
>Bruce Springsteen,
>Billy Joel,
>Blue Hawaii,
>How to Dress Well,
>Cocteau Twins,
>Yeah Yeah Yeahs,
>Panda Bear,
>Tool
>Dandi Wind
>Outkast (Big Boi loves Kate and was fawning in the same doc on YouTube)
>the Dungeon Family,
>New Edition,
>TLC,
>Michael Jackson,
>Black Dice,
>Aphex Twin,
>Nine Inch Nails
>Skinny Puppy
>Spice Girls
>Jedi Mind Tricks
>Paramore
>Kyary Pamyu Pamyu,
>Geinoh Yamashirogumi,
>Yoko Kanno
>Kenji Kawai
>David Bowie (Bowie worked with Lindsay Kemp the mime who taught Kate how to dance)
>Queen
>St. Vincent (in Kate Bush documentary fawning over her)
Mindless
>Self Indulgence
>Chris Isaak
>Salem
>Al Green
>Blink-182
>the Dune novels
>The Godfather Part II
>K-pop
>Yayoi Kusama
>The Legend of Zelda
>Akira,
>medieval music (Hilda)

point is some of her influences I don't care to look any harder are super influenced by Kate so she does owe Kate. As much as Beethoven owes Mozart as much as he owes Vivaldi praise.

She already does. I never see Madonna brought up anymore and couldn't name a single song of hers

my god most of this shit is Sup Forumscore or just fucking trash

and I like Grimes

>The Kick Inside, she was 19 years old and Wuthering Heights went to #1. It's also arguably her second most famous and enduring song. Like it or not Kate's impact on music far outweighs anything Grimes has ever done.
with the help of big label's money. grimes could do the same if she had the same support. her singles are far catchier, e.g. realiti overpowers anything by kate bush. grimes' impact is subtler now but it will massive in the future once more people will realize how great she is. follow her career and you'll see.
>On any Grimes record you can't really say all the songs are of a similar standard, most people would agree that there are good tracks, and less interesting tracks, whatever they are.
it depends. any album has good tracks and less interesting tracks. e.g. even kate bush's debut has mediocre songs that no one even talk about them. lionheart was also fairly mediocre, the sensual world was a disappointment after hounds of love, red shoes was all over the place and her latest album was a snooze fest. meanwhile, grimes has 4 great albums in a row.

her influences are all over the place. she's not like Sup Forums to care about the cool points, she just listens to what she likes. i bet that Sup Forums wish to be as confident as her.

It's not suprising, no offense but when I saw medieval music I rolled my eyes and realized the "genius" of Halfaxa isn't something she understood. She was copying the music or trying to emulate it.

But yeah point is she is indebted to Kate (even if she became a fan later two of her influences are influenced by Kate). I also just looked it up Joanna love Kate so that's 3 and I'm sure if I dug deeper these other artists would fall out of the cracks for being fans or being influenced by Kate.

my point was she owes respect to Kate, without Kate there would be no Grimus. I personally am not a Mozart fan, but I respect his for everything he did and all the music I love he inspired. Same for Vivaldi and a lot of other artists/composers. You may not like Kate but you really can't disrespect her if you are a fan of Grimes unless you are ignorant to this fact.

you got me. actually grimes called trent reznor and kate bush as her biggest inspirations: youtu.be/sp3AMBGV4xI?t=55

>with the help of big label's money
you do know who 4AD is owned by right?
>grimes has 4 great albums in a row
ehh, I guess you could consider Visions to be "great" if you really squared it that way, I kinda hated Art Angels but that's just me. thought the first two records were good though

they aren't Hounds of Love or TKI though, or even the Dreaming

You aren't going to get away from it.
At the time of her last concert I think St Vincent said that Kate Bush was to female artists what Bob Dylan and the Beatles are to guys. Seems a legit point actually.

see time code 0:55 and wait a few seconds, you'll see I was right buddy ;)

also I wonder if that's her O face?

4ad don't have that much money. fact. they can't even compare to the big labels.
>ehh, I guess you could consider Visions to be "great" if you really squared it that way
visions is her best. it's not only my opinion.
>they aren't Hounds of Love or TKI though, or even the Dreaming
they're better imo. the songs are better and more consistent and the emotion from her voice is purer. they're also more layered and more unusual.

4AD is distributed by Beggars Group - which means you'll find Art Angels and Visions in every HMV and Urban Outfitters in the country.

It's not money they need, it's the ability to produce and distribute.

why some people believe that kate bush could even surpass madonna in the 80s? madonna was a hitmaker and it would be impossible to any other female artist to beat her in popularity in that decade.

>it's the ability to produce and distribute.
and that ability depends on money. compared to the sales of someone like taylor swift, her sales are insignificant. it doesn't help that the most part of her fanbase simply streamed or pirated her albums. the best buyers aren't the indie fans, but the clueless mainstream pop fans.

the indie fans are the clueless mainstream pop fans

ergo Halsey, Beyonce, Arctic Monkeys etc.

I'm not saying Grimes is comparable musically to them, but they're all bought by the same kind of demographic

post your favorite kate bush song. Mine is Wuthering Heights but that's because it reminds me of an ex girlfriend a bit and makes me smile (plus it's a great song) but that's the reason why it takes the cake for me.

She just needed to embrace the gays more

>embrace the gays more
how to kill your career 101

Kate has a good gay following

That's really fucking hard but I'd go with Cloudbusting. I'm a sucker for father-son stories.

yes, but marketing towards gays in the mid 80's would've been a death sentence

Goddamn how does this woman do this to me.

Hounds of Love is the single best album that was not made by David Bowie

And he never would. Kate is an actual producer and composer.

Hounds of Love, or maybe Running Up That Hill

He made some pretty good records, homie. Ziggy is still in constant rotation at my house

I really like the way she sings Hounds of Love

Come on baby, come on...come on darling. Let's exchange the experience

That line, combined with the drums, hits me harder than 99% of music

HoL is full of 10/10 moments

>ALL YOU SAILOOOOOOOORS

Take my shoes off, and throw them in the lake

side B in it's entirety is a 10/10 moment

>tfw no supportive Kate Bush wife
youtu.be/VjEq-r2agqc

the worst part is she honestly seems like she'd be the greatest wife to have ever

I'd like to do more than just take her shoes off ;)

also >tfw no 50's looking Hounds of Love Kate Bush music video wife
youtube.com/watch?v=m6aRdJn5JsM

If she wanted to?
She did want to, and she wasn't good enough to beat Madonna at her own game.

>unlimited studio time to perfect her production, songwriting and singing?
unlimited studio time is only a requirement for people too lazy to write and prepare properly before going into the studio
There's very little "experimenting" you can do in a studio that won't work just as well in your practice space with a cheap 4 track recorder

>Kate isn't Normie enough to beat Madonna at her own game

Yeah Madonna was dangerous, normal fags don't get Kate she's to different. Plus she doesn't show her bare tits and is more reserved. People prefer sluts to real wife material as entertainers. Though it would be great to have Kate and have sex with her the first time and make love and you see her tits for the first time and they aren't like Madonna who plastered them everywhere and totally diminished the value of her breasts.

This is true, Zappa did way more experimental things and he like used an 8 track and overdubbed stuff for uncle meat so it was the equivalent of I think like 80 tracks.

People who think artists needing tons of studio time need the extra time for creative purposes don't know any musicians.
You can record virtually anything in under a week if you walk into the studio with your material written and rehearsed and know the process well enough to have a plan.
If someone takes more time than that they are just masturbating.