/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0
mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0
mega.nz/#!Dc9kgQzQ!go7cEDqCm8HgCervvdFMzPl7sSggp3eHNzJh5O8KqLU
lernu.net/en
duolingo.com/course/eo/en/Learn-Esperanto-Online
kurso.com.br/
forvo.com/languages/eo/
memrise.com/courses/english/esperanto/
en.esperanto.org.nz/how-to-learn-esperanto/how-to-type-esperanto-characters
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/anstatauxi/geffaabblpcfabmjdoipmfplglceofgj
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative
youtube.com/watch?v=zwuzvanVG40
guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete
memrise.com/course/554/jlpt-n5-vocab/
thepolyglotdream.com/learning-more-than-one-language-at-the-same-time/
youtube.com/watch?v=UvqWcyxM0os
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_languages
55chan.org/lang/res/1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To the guy from Hong Kong:

Isn't there at least some sentiment among Hong Kongers that Cantonese *should* be able to be written down? Do most people actually accept that written Chinese is basically Mandarin just like that, as if it were the most natural thing in the world?

>10pm
>didn't do anything yet

More resources
pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0

>duolingo for language learning

Quomodo linguae Latinae studes?

Quid = what, why
Cur, Quamobrem = why
Quomodo, Quemadmodum = how
Quis = who
Quando = when
Ubi = where, Unde = from where, Quo = to where

So you're like me, same flag and all.
Except I've been like that for longer than I want to say.

I'm not that happy with it desu. I seem to prefer pimsleur and lingvist, but I just started learning so maybe duolingo will get better.

Are you going to say it wrong on purpose? kek

Cubans can have a very strong accent, and well, to be fair some people, for some reason, decide to "eat" some words. Either at the beginning or the end, don't ask me why, I've no clue. And no, it's not common.

Try to take it easy, don't burn yourself.

>decide to "eat" some words. Either at the beginning or the end
Can you think of an example?

What I've noticed is that Cubans (as well as other speakers of "Caribbean Spanish") also add lots of "yo" and "tú" where I'd skip them over, treating them almost like in English.
For example, they say things like "¿Qué tú quieres?", and the other person replies "Yo quisiera..." even though that person might be the only person replying ("yo" not contrasting with anybody else).

Italiano

>Late June, still not picked what my new year's resolution language is going to be.

>Turkish teatime podcast
mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0

>Turkish class101 podcast
mega.nz/#!Dc9kgQzQ!go7cEDqCm8HgCervvdFMzPl7sSggp3eHNzJh5O8KqLU

For that one American

Pick Turkish, it's fun.

Posting the Esperanto stuff 1/2

>Lernu - free courses with exercises, overview of the grammar with examples, an active forum, a multimedia library and a dictionary
lernu.net/en

>Duolingo course and a discussion forum
duolingo.com/course/eo/en/Learn-Esperanto-Online

>Kurso de Esperanto - downloadable multimedia program for leaning Esperanto
kurso.com.br/

>Forvo - Esperanto pronunciation dictionary. Type a word and hear how it's pronounced.
forvo.com/languages/eo/

>Esperanto at Memrise
memrise.com/courses/english/esperanto/

>How to type Esperanto characters on your system
en.esperanto.org.nz/how-to-learn-esperanto/how-to-type-esperanto-characters

>An add-on for Chrome which allows you to write ĉ, ŝ, ĝ, ĵ and ŭ by using the x-system (for example typing "cx" will produce "ĉ")
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/anstatauxi/geffaabblpcfabmjdoipmfplglceofgj

2/2

Do you actually use Esperanto? Just curious.
And no I'm not going to use 'useless' again.

Deutsch
>share your language learning experiences
Finally the concept of the dative case through my thick fucking skull

The man reads the book with his friend

1.Ask who or what's doing the verb first, to find the nominative/subject.
>Who's reading? The man (subject/nominative)

2.Second, ask who or what the subject/Nominative is using the verb on, to find the object/accusative.
>What's the man reading? the
book (object/accusative)

3.for the dative/indirect object,
Ask the subject/nominative to whom or to what the accusative/direct object is going to
>his friend

I think

>Der Mann liest das buch mit seinen Freund

I use it to read and write (basic for now) stuff on the Internet.
The only way to use it in person is to meet someone here who speaks it or to go as a guest on some Esperantist abroad. I don't know if you know this but there's this Pasporta Servo service with like a thousand people all over the world who offer to have you a guest for free and the only "reward" they offer is that you have to communicate in Esperanto. It's a cool thing but I'm too boring of a person to do something like that.

>Scottish Loch
???
Is there a romance example?

shit, I thought Quomodo is how much

Check this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative

We don't have that sound in Bulgarian, as far as I understand the "h" is an almost silent "h"-sound, while the "ĥ" is more of a "kh" type of thing.

>Is there a romance example?
Spanish "j" in many (but not all!) of the dialects.
Romanian "h", too, in most dialects, such as the one of the speaker in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=zwuzvanVG40

Aren't both correct? That's now I interpreted it the last thread?

Yeah, I'll try to take it easy. I'm trying to find the right pace. I target an hour but go well over when I can, some days only get a half hour though.

Oh I said buenos rather than buenas

Yeah I'd say "que tengas buenas tardes" and see if he corrected me to only "tengas buenas tardes"

>sorry for being /pol
>To be short: due to more and more Mandarin speakers (mostly mainland Chinese)move in and unwilling to learn Cantonese + more and more schools(especially kindergarten) prefer to teach Chinese in Mandarin rather than Cantonese, it's not sentiment, it's anger.

I can't tell how many hate post about Mandarin+Simplified Chinese at fb. For instant, Simplified Chinese is 簡體字, the antonym for Simplified Chinese is Traditional Chinese, 繁體字, 繁體 means complicated format, both Traditional and 繁 convey a negative meaning to Hongkonger even to Taiwanese. Instead of 繁體字, we prefer 正體字, 正 means proper, and call Simplified Chinese 殘體字, 殘 means damaged or 歪體字, 歪 means distortion. From these names, you already know how people feel toward Simplified Chinese but the written standard on Mandarin didn't get much attack tho, it's still being considered a proper way to write.

The fun fact is through out the Chinese history, writing in the tongue of capital is pretty much the norm, we kinda get used to it since written language serve as important communication method through out the region, like I said before
>u really need a solid one or two years to learn a "Chinese dialect" or basically it's just alien language, my grandma speaks the teochew "dialect" natively but I nvr understand her
Roll the clock back a little bit, hell even Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese write Chinese so we could do trades, Chinese is 中文, 文 means mark, pattern, written language, Cantonese and Shanghainese is 廣東話, 上海話, 話 means speech, spoken language. It's kinda ironic(both funny and bitter) in my eye, people nowadays say "I want to learn Chinese" to refer "I want to learn Mandarin". It's just me being a massive fag tho.

>cont
We just hate to be washed out (same thing apply to Shanghainese and other tongues), the previous imperial government didn't give a shit on what u speak in ur place unless you're going to the capital and be a governor. The PRC government have massive restriction on it, our complain on don't know how to write our vocab seems minor to them, if a teacher try to teach the student a "dialect", the teacher will get punished, if a student speaks it, the student get punished, it is not only applied to the other "dialect", but also Mongolian and Tibetan which didn't consider as Chinese at all.

However, these language do dying out. Ugh, even Guangzhou is full of Mandarin, which is the place the name Cantonese literally came from.

So ya, fuck pol

Did someone ask about how to read and write Chinese character even tho we don't remember the whole thing?

Well, most modern chinese word is basically a combination of radical and rather simple character that borrow a sound and you can stack it like lego and get about 80% accuracy.
If you suddenly forget the radical, look at the sentence or meaning u want to express again, u will know which radical fits.

like when u want to say "fry a fish"
All you can remember is 前魚
u know it is not right, there is sth missing at 前
前魚 doesn't look like it will make any kind of sense
it's about cooking, there should be some fire in it
so you can try out the fire radicals 火, there are only two variants 火 or 灬, the one in deep fried 炸? or the one in heat 熱?
And the answer is 煎, again, the word for front 前 only borrow its sound, do front+fire=fry? no
But look at there pronunciation in Mandarin and Cantonese
前:qian2 / cin4
煎:jian1 / zin1
other similar example:
箭(arrow): jian4 / zin3
>the bamboo radical above
剪(to cut): jian3 / zin2
>the knife/blade radical below
You can see how similar they are but mean differently and how radical hint its meaning, this kind of method only assure u 80% accuracy, simpler word usually need to trance back to the glyph origin which is messy and far from our understanding

But by a dictionary and play with the radical, u prob can get a phonetic series about it and instantly boost your vocab.

The simpler character can only be remembered through memorization, no easy way.

It is somewhat like how English usually does (graphically speaking), a stem and tones of prefixes+suffixes, instead of add it horizontally, we just add shit in all direction (no bottom right tho)

Dankon kamerado.

Jesus man. This is exactly what i was talking yesterday. In western language conjugations, declension and etc are learned through speaking amd you uust use sufixes as automaticaly as breathing. You dont think about inhaling and exhaling air, you just do it.

On the other hand writing mandarin/cantonese is so damn impractical it will be abolished sooner or later. But is fun so ill work in figuring it out

saben un sitio donde puedo practicar mi español que no te requiere que tengas facebook?

I just took my Spanish placement test for my first year of university and I got placed in the highest level conversation class. Feels pretty great

Best German TV shows?

Heute show
Hart aber fair
Maishberger

Congratulations!!

How much work did you do for that?

italki. It helps you find pen pals and you can get private lessons from native speakers who aren't professional teachers for around $8 per hour, usually less if the teacher is Venezuelan.

italki requiere facebook

busco una alternativa

Just make a fake one.

>tiene facebook

como se siente estar seguido por judios?

Thanks!
I took Spanish in school since Kindergarten and my parents speak it as a second language so I don't remember the hard part. I've just been listining to Nicky Jam and watching youtube videos in Spanish for the last 4 years
No, puedes usar un email. Estoy registrado así.

no tengo facebook, pero usando a proxy por cinco dollares esta bien

eh looks like you don't even need to do that, can just use an email per . do a better job reading next time, anzu. :^)

no me viene la opcion de registar con email

para que no sé, puede que porque esta es
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>turquia

ademas estoy hablando espanol para practicarlo

I'm so mad at myself for not taking spanish class in school seriously. Now here I am at 30 on a Mongolian cave drawing forum trying to start a second language because everyone around me speaks fuckin spanish.

Tiempo para ese proxy después de todo. No se.

I want to learn german,swedish and dutch pls gimmi help. and sources and such
I'm pretty ok at all of them.

Venezuela/Colombia is a steal, they charge 5$ on average for an hour and as low as 3.5$ I think. Even certificated teachers are like 6-7$. I wish I could get prices this low for English, French or German.

You're not going to learn a language if you're not interested in it. Since you weren't interested in learning it in school, you wouldn't have been able to learn the language anyway. Everyone wishes that they could go back to the past and start learning something from when they were 10 years old, so that they would be masters today, but that's not going to happen. Just make the best of it desu. If you study for an hour every day you could be pretty good at spanish in just a few years. Good luck!

I want to start by saying that 1) this is going to be a very casual thing and 2) I understand how big of a commitment this is.

That being said, I want to learn a language. I have narrowed my choice down to three and I've placed them on a difficulty/sound/usefulness scale.

Swedish- I only speak English so this one is very low on the difficulty scale, and it sounds great. Not very useful for me in the States though.

Russian- this is higher up on the difficulty scale (how hard I don't know, if you are learning this fill me in). However, it sounds better than Swedish IMO and is/will be very useful due to it being spread all over the world by the USSR and its large number of speakers.

Farsi (more specifically Dari, the Afghan dialect of it)- I don't know too much about Dari, but from what I know its difficulty is somewhere in between the first two. My paternal side of the family speaks it, and having a native speaker to converse with greatly lowers the difficulty. Sounds awesome IMO, probably about as good as Swedish. It kinda useful, in that I can converse with my family as well as be mutually intelligible with Iranians and Tajiks, but not very.

Simplified:

Swedish: + simplicity, + sound, - usefulness

Russian: - simplicity, + sound, + usefulness

Dari: +/- simplicity, + sound, +/- usefulness

I know sound is personal preference, but the purpose of this thread is so I can get some input in the difficulty and usefulness departments. Once again, this is going to be very a casual thing for me and something I do on the side. I feel like Swedish is best for a more casual learner like me, but I really want more opinions than just mine.

Thanks.

Recommending Russian personally. If you were going to learn a Nordic language, I'd go with Norwegian. But still, I'd go with Russian. Second most-used language on the Internet and a trove of wonderful literature. A challenge and everyone respects a Russian learner, so long as you're not a CS:GO cringe-tard.

Learning Japanese
Finally making progress on it with Duolingo, but still kind of shitty at it. Just starting to understand the weird ass sentence structure.

The Japanese course on the app is absolute garbage desu. If you actually want to learn the language in a hurry, you should check out Tae Kim's guide to Japanese desu. And you can use Memrise (JLPT N5 course) to learn vocabulary while you're on it.

guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete
memrise.com/course/554/jlpt-n5-vocab/

I have 1500 hours because I accidentally stayed in the menu for the entire summer of 2015 and I really suck

I second this

Didn't read that you were casual. Russian would be the most impressive but Norwegian would definitely better suit a casual experience. Your decision mate.

I just started in Russian a week ago
I started like a year ago in English and I understand it very well, but i still need to practice my speaking and writing

Here is something for Swedish senpai.

I would pick Dari, a native speaker to help you at all times makes the learning proccess so much easier.

Yeah that was me
Thanks for the explanation, it certainly looks like a nightmare. But now I'm very curious about its history.
There's a part of me that wonders why didn't they think about something easier or more standard

I wonder if this troubles could be the equivalent or grammar mistakes that ours dummies do

This hits my kokoro so hard I almost feel like crying

Gute Zeiten Slechte Zeiten

Pick one. Only when you're at least intermediate you can add another.

thepolyglotdream.com/learning-more-than-one-language-at-the-same-time/

they just released the Japanese Duolingo lessons like 1 month ago. Give them time to improve it

From old thread

I'd say I'm at A2, and I've been studying for abut 10 months, an hour a day.

It's "seinem" as it's "der Freund".

>can't ever bring myself to study 30 minutes a week
Depression killed my drive.

What are the best French novels to read for practice for a late beginner or should I try to hold off reading full books until I increase my vocab?

Also is it difficult or not recommended to learn more than one language at a time?

Le Petit Prince tends to be the go to early reading recommendation.

see

Appreciate the help lads.

If you try to write chinese in pure romanization, like in Mandarin, the biggest trouble you will have: "There's too fucking many similar sounding words".

This also applies to massively loan chinese words like Japanese/Korean, these three languages have different tendency on de-sinicization, I guess you are familiar with Japanese, the mix of Hanji+hiragana+katagana, normally they will write in hiragana+katagana, but when u need to precisely mean sth, even a Japanese exclusive vocab, they have to write Hanji so it can be differed from other meanings. This situation also apply to Korean, Korean completely drop Chinese character in daily basis now, Hangul+Hanji was how Korean wirte before 20 century but even tho they abolished it sth precise like law still need a blend of Hangul+Hanji.

Ah, at the example above, the only differences are the first consonant and the tone, modern chinese is slightly easier because we have adj/adv marker now which ancient chinese don't have, so almost every character can be a noun/adj/verb/adverb, with this kinda freedom, it's still pretty common for people to believe "Chinese" don't have grammar, but ya with word other and pause precisely (yes pause is fucking important, the whole sentence will change when you pause at different timing, which apply to all languages), u pretty much just get it.

Hell u need to check how the ancient chinese omit their subject all the time and mix SVO and SOV in a single paragraph, u will definitely find modern chinese is already affected by european language so much(but still understandable I don't know why).

For me, the most impractical in most european language is conjugation, aspect marker is easier to deal with because you don't need change anything, especially the clusterfuck in Englsih, the -ing, -ed, -en, isn't that hard, it works rather similar, vowel change like in swin? entire new word like in go? no please. So ya language or cultural difference is really weird.

This literally me

>Can you think of an example?
Not right now, maybe the one the fellow American was talking about, but I know there're more. It could be an educational or accent thing.

>What I've noticed is that Cubans (as well as other speakers of "Caribbean Spanish") also add lots of "yo" and "tú" where I'd skip them over, treating them almost like in English.
>For example, they say things like "¿Qué tú quieres?", and the other person replies "Yo quisiera..." even though that person might be the only person replying ("yo" not contrasting with anybody else).
Yeah, lmao, they totally do. Also the way the speak, like their mouths are full of sound, Idk if that makes sense but that's kind of how it looks-sounds for us.

I've meet a few Cuban expats and they all do the same. I remember with some friends one of them -Cuban expat- will make jokes exageration his accent a lot
>UUUUy mAAAmi, vie~eene eEEEL CUUUbanito saaaabrosÓOOOn
>Hmmmmnnn Oyyy~ maAami, caale~ntito rico rico Hmm-hmmm

God, we all laughed so hard

>I've meet a few Cuban expats and they all do the same. I remember with some friends one of them -Cuban expat- will make jokes exageration his accent a lot

Right version:
>I was trying to say that we were a bunch of friends and colleages. One of them a Cuban expat that would exaggerate his accent every now and then to make a joke.

I fucked that sentence up, I shouldn't watch videos and write at the same time

any recommendations for mandarin? I'm attending to a local course for it (we're about to finish the most basic level next week). after next week the course will be closed momentarily because of summer, so meanwhile what should I do to progress?

Why is this comment to British?

youtube.com/watch?v=UvqWcyxM0os

Yeah, that was it. Tell us what he does user

Um, idk, our education tend to teach us how to form sentences really early, it's quite impractical to us grind with phonetic series or radicals. I mean they will explain it, but it's nth when u don't get into sentence since our tongue is highly relied on word orders and contexts. Those two method are only useful when u need some new vocab.

>But now I'm very curious about its history.
Idk what do u mean about history? u mean the character right? I guess someone already posted it before, it comes from the hieroglyph, the Oracle Bone Script to be precise, it's quite primitive as many people say, time pass, people start to craft it on bronze and stone. And at Qin Dynasty, all the script from different region had been collected and standardized, it's called the Small Seal Script, it's around 220 BC, it's very curvy and complicated to write. Around Han dynasty, a new script become popular, it is the Clerical Script, it's based on the Small Seal Script but more square, pretty much set the tone on Chinese character and the first dictionary Shuowen Jiezi was published too (I got a copy, the small seal script always looks funny to me) which gave us the radical system, it's around 121 AD. Around Tang Dynasty (618-907AD), a new script based on the Clerical Script become popular, called the Regular Script, the English translation call it Regular Script because it's still the standard character of modern chinese charater.

I guess it's not what u need but it's the development of the character which is messy and fucked up like any kind of history.

>There's a part of me that wonders why didn't they think about something easier or more standard
>The fun fact is through out the Chinese history, writing in the tongue of capital is pretty much the norm
>which change over and over dynasty
However, scholar through out Chinese history definitely underrated the change of spoken language

Hope I answered sth related to ur need, ugh

Why didn't the Chinese use a normal alphabet? They could have copied the Greek alphabet, I'm pretty sure 3d century BC they would have connections to Bactria and beyond.

That's a nice picture.

>Balto slavic
NO!This meme has to DIE!
We aren't slavic and not ''balto slavic'' we are JUST BALTIC you hear me?JUST BALTIC!

JUST BALTIC GOD DAMNIT!
Learn any slavic language and you will understand context of speach in other slavic languages try that with Baltic (Latvian and Lithuaian) and you will not understand SHIT from the language, so fuck off.

"The Baltic languages belong to the Balto-Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family."
t. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_languages

Is using Duolingo, Lingvist, Memrise and Pimsleur concurrently too much? I started just wanting to try things out and see what I liked. I enjoy Lingvist the most for vocab, and Pimsleur I do in the car. My feelings on them all so far:

Duolingo: (I spend about 15min per day on)
+: Seems to be a nice basic structure.
-: I don't think the chat bots are very good. I feel like everyone else is using this as their main structure and so I'm kind of going with that.

Lingvist: (I spend about 30min per day on)
+: Favorite for vocab. I also like that I can quickly do a few and then stop or do a bunch at once. It's very good for fitting into schedules.
-: Not enough structure to learn the language, it's more just learning words. Maybe a bit of phrases.

Pimsleur: (I spend about 30min per day on).
+: Learning how to listen better, there is pressure to respond quickly. Structured learning.
-: I'm a visual learner, and so I have a hard time remembering if I don't write it down at least once. On this beginner level I feel like the responses need to be given too quick and I can't think that fast. I usually don't do a new lesson every day. I do a new lesson, then re-do the lesson a few times to try to get it down better. I'm hoping this is the right thing to do.

Memrise: (I spend about 5min per day on)
+: Lots of little phrases
-: They keep begging for money.

Will do!

user I have severe depression. Learning languages is one of the only things that distracts me from it so that's why I devote so much time to it (sometimes I'll do 2 or 3 hours a day).

When I had a shitty job that made me even more depressed, I had no time for languages I was so mentally sick.

We're gonna make it friend, keep going

First of all, second person singular doesn't work like that. You should ask "How does one learn Latin" and not "how doest thou learn Latin"
Second, "linguae latinae" is wrong, should be accusative singular, "linguam latinam", if it is the object in the sentence or "lingua latina" if it is the subject (for example when using it with a passive verb to express the lack of an acting person).
Third, "studeo" doesn't mean "to study" in the sense of "learning" it means "to put effort into something". Use "disco" instead.
>Quomodo lingua latina discitur?
Which translates to:
"How is the Latin language learned?"
Or in a more comprehensive way:
"How does one learn Latin?"
Or:
"How do you learn Latin?"

Yes and it's a meme, we should be called JUST baltic.

u better ask
>with the spread of Buddhism and long history trading with the Indians why they didn't at least copy the Brahmic script, look at all the South/Southeast Asians!

How would I know, there's certain amount of people knew Sanskrit, mostly the monks (because it's their practice) and educated people (because it's fancy) but never threat the domination of Chinese character

Independance?WHEN?
Ecil commies regeame must be defeated!

Memrise begging for money? You mean on the phone? Because I use the website and that never happened to me.

Yeah, it's on the phone.

Huh, I thought studeo takes dative

And u prob don't understand how East Asian languages let the phonology of a Chinese character become blurry and perfer to understand things visually.
The invention of Chinese character always focus on written communication, it is sth started before AD which originally shared within different part of China (which have a huge amount of local tongues) and slowly shared by the whole East Asian.
We got different focuses, it's just history does its trick.

People will definitely use a new tool if it's works better but romanization pretty much can't deal with it, so as hiragana and hangul (why Koreans ditch Chinese character away are more about Japanese invasion rather they don't have the need of using it, it is a bit too late to abolish it at the 1960s for writing wise) look at those words had the same sound and same tone but mean differently, there're millions of it. Also different tongues will pronounce differently but still mean the same.

The historical section is a bit too long, fuck, anyway u gotta delete all of words and invent a lot of replacement before u wanna ditch Chinese character away.

Writing proper English and not using a dumbphone as a serious resource should be pre-requisites in this thread. Holy fuck, seems like commas are pretty much a random (often ignored) decoration to most of you.

You'll never build a thriving community without some kind of standard, so people can take learning seriously. This carefree approach only suits people who have the luxury of conversation partners/immersion. Everyone else should be building their knowledge on top of a more grammatical foundation, else you'll just pidgin your way into the target language with the half-assed knowledge you have from your native one.

Also, I could try translating this guide to English, if anyone thinks it's interesting enough (Google Translate might give you an idea of the content):
55chan.org/lang/res/1.html
It doesn't have all the DOs and DON'Ts as I preached, but it's quite down to earth and general-purpose.

>Writing proper English and not using a dumbphone as a serious resource should be pre-requisites in this thread. Holy fuck, seems like commas are pretty much a random (often ignored) decoration to most of you.

Things weren't this bad pre-neo-neo-Sup Forums. Most likely it's due to an influx of under age users who are taught English by the "everyone's a winner" method in school.

>First of all, second person singular doesn't work like that. You should ask "How does one learn Latin" and not "how doest thou learn Latin"
Hi. I thought the person meant second-person "you" rather than generic "you", so that was my main mistake.
>Second, "linguae latinae" is wrong, should be accusative singular, "linguam latinam"
No, studeo takes the dative here. (To be more precise, studeo ALMOST always takes the dative; the accusative is used but is rare and almost only used for pronouns like nihil and id).
>Third, "studeo" doesn't mean "to study" in the sense of "learning" it means "to put effort into something". Use "disco" instead.
While you're right when it comes to Golden Age Classical Latin, studere meaning "to learn" is perfectly common in post-Augustan Classical Latin. L&S give citations from Quintilian, Seneca the Younger, Pliny the Younger and Tacitus. It's also very common in contemporary Latin in my experience. I don't see anything wrong with it, unless your aim is to imitate Cicero or Caesar specifically, instead of using Classical Latin as a whole.

What's fun about Turkish for you?

bonaj afiŝoj, amiko

just so you know, that sound is usually only used for proper names, as it's quite hard to pronounce when your native tongue doesn't have it

come stai?

this. schools don't work for language learning, not because the lessons or teachers are bad necessarily, but because the average student (including ones who later WILL be interested) just doesn't give a shit.
and yeah, the best moment to start learning a language is ten years ago. the second best moment is now

holy shit, a German version exists? is it just as cancerous?

When the only thread I'm interested in on Sup Forums is ded

Have a (you) user. I feel the same.

What's your opinion on the French vs. Dutch tug-of-war going on in Belgium? Are you a French speaker and consider it a good thing, are you a Dutch speaker and consider it a bad thing?