I really hate to say it, but the Melon was right about this one. Every song sounds the same...

I really hate to say it, but the Melon was right about this one. Every song sounds the same, none of them ever reach a satisfying conclusion, Krule's vocals are some of the most obnoxious I've ever heard, there's way too much structural wankery for how little it does musically, it sounds like the producer(s) had no idea which tones were appropriate for which tracks, and it basically amounts to shitty trip-hop revival with less substance than anything Portishead or Massive Attack were doing in the late '90s.

Like, really? P4k gave this a 9/10? Is that a joke?

aoty

I think the problem with modern music and film reviews is everything has to be overhyped or shat on. Like for me this album is a 6-7 its nice but not mind blowing or anything. To be fair ant fant isn't that bad, he prolly more objective than anything else out there.

Totally agree with you about the vocals they sound silly at certain points.

He gave it a 4/10. It's not like he HATED it or anything, but I'm surprised to find myself unequivocally agreeing with him for a change.

Can you tell me what you did like about it? I'm trying to actually enjoy what's here, but it's so rare for an album to feel like a goddamn job sitting through.

its a moody music for me. reminds me during my depression spells. this isn't 4 everyone

Yeah, that's fair. And that's pretty clearly what he was going for (as per the obvious trip-hop influences). It's just that maybe my depression is different, but I've always felt angrier and crazier in depressed states than anything he emotes on this record. It's awfully monotonous, even for an album about depression.

>Every song sounds the same

stopped reading there, 2/10 bait

I'm not just meming when I say about a dozen or more songs on this album can be summed up with the following attributes
>downtempo, uneven beat that sometimes isn't even in a particular signature
>mumbly, sedated vocals
>muffled bass sounds and drums
>light guitar or piano being used as fills, to give it that jazzy vibe
>some sample warping for effect

t. melon

>they similar compositional elements
>the songs all sound the same
Go to bed Melon

Melon gave Timber Timbres "creep on creeping on" a 8 and on that album literally every song sounds the same. he just always contradicts whatever P4K rates something.

It's definitely not as low as he rated as low as that Jaden Smith project though that he gave the same score, no way. It's overly long though I agree but its super cohesive and blends well, songs like Slush Puppy reach a nice conclusion I thought and it has a lot of good moments. Melon just doesnt really like dreamy, chill music hes really hard on it and uses it as a "down side" when he describes a lot of albums. I wouldn't say its as high as P4K rated though but its a solid project, at least a 7.

>I'm trying to actually enjoy what's here, but it's so rare for an album to feel like a goddamn job sitting through.
Pure Comedy

You're being disingenuous. These songs consistently have the same tone, structure, and employ the same series of compositional elements from start to finish.

Oh?

This sounds about right though.

Melon is a dumb faggot. Fuck him.

I've honestly never seen one review make this board more mad. Centipede Hz getting a 7.4 was a big deal. But people weren't quite so mad at Stuart Berman.

That 5 seconds of typing effort was a lot for a less than worthless comment user

user is a dumb faggot. Fuck him.

Fuck you melon.

>rock album
>4/10
Absolutely, that's correct.

It's barely a rock album, though. It's centred mainly on jazz and hip-hop structures and infrequently gets overtaken by rock and/or punk elements that made Krule popular to begin with. The title of the album is accurate at least. It's sludgy and sloooooow, albeit with none of the hard rock one associates with the word "sludge".

I agree but its more dreamy than sludgy and slow

Maybe. I generally associate dreamy with synths, strings, and lofty vocals though. Wasn't so much of that on this. Hell, to me it felt more grounded and ugly and that probably helps the depression concept come through better for a lot of people.

jazz has a a lot of dreamy lounge elements to it, and a lot of dream pop bands use guitars, he also had those lo-fi analog synths on almost every song. but i think the vocals give it that ugly vibe but i felt it was super lonely and dreamy all together. when i think of sludge I usually think of more heaviness like the Melvin's or some of grunge, I didnt really get that with this but different ears and whatnot

Those are good points. I think the sludge aspect comes from the warped-as-fuck samples and electronics. Reminds me of moodier and more low-key Boards of Canada stuff.

I felt the same on the first few listens but it really grew on me over time. It would be a solid 9/10 if you cut one or two tracks and both of the interludes. Still a 8/10 for me though.

>These song consistently have the same tone
I can agree with this
>structure
This is flat out wrong
>and employ the same series of compositional elements from start to finish
I dunno, the sounds are actually pretty varied from track to track despite similar instrumentation and mood across the album. Songs like Buscuit Town, Dum Surfer, Slush Puppy, Vidual and Half Man Half Shark are all pretty distinct and varied in terms of sound and structure. There are definitely some tracks that could be cut though.

I don't believe it's anything close to a 4/10 but it has kind of the same issue Jaden Smith's album SYRE had in which it has a set of amazing tracks but then the rest either drag on or are mediocre. However to add I'm not saying the rest of The Ooz is on the same tier as SYRE, the rest of SYRE outside of BLUE sucks ass, but the pattern of a couple great songs plus the rest being underwhelming or shit is a thing with SYRE being all shit and The Ooz being mostly underwhelming.
It should be a 6/10, flawed but enjoyable

Can anyone recommend some more stuff that sounds like King Krule? Already listened to 6 Feet Beneath the Moon. The more emotional tracks of his are fucking fantastic imo. Not so keen on the more hip-hop-ish cuts

I just hate how people will take Fantano’s opinion so seriously. For me The Ooz is a fantastic One of a kind record that I can talk about all day, but the point is that I have a thousand reasons to love it legitimately. Who cares if Fantano was right or wrong, it’s an opinion. I have mine, and personally it gets tiresome seeing a majority of Sup Forums changing their minds on a record (American Dream, Fever Ray, Ooz, Etc.) once Fantano reviewed the album. It’s a huge sign that people really don’t know how to listen to music with their heart nowadays.

pls

true

dean blunt - black metal/redeemer

Half man half shark is the best song I heard all year. Krule is a cod of music.