/Prod/

Theoretical Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/iz4ghzjz
youtube.com/watch?v=xpYibfCLYWU
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
clyp.it/z4xfbr41
clyp.it/qkuijths
samplescience.ca/2016/10/samplescience-tr-626-hd.html
clyp.it/1cil2k3m
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for smug egg tells you to do something

>Who gives a shit about chords.

AHAHAHAHAHA

>tfw can't automate grain size
is there a way round this?

REEE DO NOT EGG POST

shit i never noticed that, wtf

start recording a resample track and just drag it around while it's looking i guess...

i haven't checked but it's probably a different tone- you can automate grain size in absynth 5

this is how you get music that makes no internal sense and then all you can do is wonder why it sounds "weird"

Right. And that's how interesting music is made

for real this is why i can't stand the beatles, too many complex chords and progressions that make no sense for the sake of being experimental

I think I got in way over my head on this one.

Added lots of drums, cymbals. How do you make them sit well in a mix? I spent a good 20 hours trying to make them do that.
Same with the normal non cymbal'y drums. It's hard.

Got inspired by that accordianon and his beautiful accordion piece he posted a few days back
Coudln't get it out of my head so I got myself a VST with an accordion in it and this is what came.

I'd be very thankful if anyone has got any advice on making drums, especially cymbals sit well and not sound too loud.

Tried compressing them but that made them either too quiet or sound like someone had neutered them.

clyp.it/iz4ghzjz

>sound too loud.
turn them down then dummy

the song is otherwise nice but you really need to work on programming drums

no, it's not. the beatles are not an example of complex "experimental" chord progressions. they have lots of great pop songs and some good tunes that are mostly experimenting with instrumentation, not composition

composers like stockhausen or varese are actually complex harmonically, and much more difficult to listen to. honestly only good for score study imo

>difficult to listen to

Sounds like a lot of fun, user

Any specific part I should focus on? I used EZ Drummer and coupled that with a velocity randomizer to get it sounding a bit more human and varied(hopefully)

Or do you mean the general drum beat? I actually like that one.

it's not fun, it's for study. like we're here to make music for? it's fairly easy to go from complex -> EDM, less so to figure out jazz harmony by 'what sounds good'

if you're trying to make some lofi hip hop tunes or future bass chords or whatever, having that knowledge is the difference between finishing a track and spending 5 hours trying to force a chord progression somewhere, then giving up cause it doesn't sound right

that's the fucking joke dumbfuck

the beatles are full of 7s and borrowed chords in bubblegum pop

desu i skipped to the part with the cymbals. while i wouldn't be set on that beat in particular, and i think it's a good idea, i'm skeptical that it best suits the song

>velocity randomizer to get it sounding a bit more human and varied

that's your problem. honestly i've been lazy and done that for some loops but that's on top of already programming a unique 8+ bars

you've gotta program in specific beats to accent and which hits need a low velocity to create a groove. delaying and making hits early can be huge as well but honestly that part takes a lot longer to learn if you're not physically playing it out. listen to the overall flow of some drumming in the context of the song you like and try to hear where there are ghost notes/accents being played

I'm not sure if I like this. I'm trying to make something kind of apex twin sounding. I have to add a lot more random and melodic elements I think but this is as far as I got with something basic.

Http://clip.it/qr20nko5

Try not to be too hard on me. I'm just a beginner. I'm going to start point blank classes soon.

Oops put the link in wrong.

Http//clyp.it/qr20nko5

I mean, I've listened to a lot of music. That's all I need. I feel like studying music theory is just a good way to lock yourself into musical rules. All i gotta do is use my ears while I'm making music and I can feel what sounds good. I would go insane if I was like "ok, so I have a c chord, then I have to pair it with an Eb because thems the rules." It's about how the music feels. That is literally the only way to make unique music.

Much appreciated for the detailed response.

Yeah. At first I was thinking I'd do a more manual velocity thing but then I looked at the amount of drum hits and all the different tracks and decided that for this particular song, with the amount of drums that were in it and my very low level of experience I'd just get stuck in some endless loop of tweaking velocities if I tried that.

I'll definitely try it next time though.

Cheers!

>a velocity randomizer to get it sounding a bit more human and varied(hopefully)

FYI most EZ drummer grooves are already human because they recorded the midi using a real drummer.

Also if you're not using premade midi grooves and just writing in the midi manually, I think EZ drummer has randomization options on it anyway, so you can randomize the velocity and timing

dang i'm an idiot for not thinking of that
bless you user

Tfw too old to learn an instrument

feels badman. wish my parents had known how to motivate me to keep playing when i was a kid. now i have no time to learn because of work.

for all you underageb&s, just know that highschool/junior high may be your only opportunity to develop non-work related skills. take advantage of it

EZ Drummer has a Humanize feature but it doesn't change velocity or timing. It only chooses what sample gets played from the sample pool.

Ryu learned at 22 and six years later wrote this:
youtube.com/watch?v=xpYibfCLYWU

I mean, you don't have to follow the rules. but knowing what you could do, then intentionally choosing not to, speeds up your writing time 100x. all about knowing the fastest way to get what you hear out into the world. but hey, lots of people do it your way. so if it works w/e

that downbeat ride/hihat is obnoxious - overall I'd say you need to balance things out better, there are big differences between elements that make the track uneven sounding. I really like the bg pad thing ~1 min in

you'd think that you really would

It's not about locking yourself into musical rules man, it's about learning what you're doing. Just because you know that a dominant 7 chord wants to resolve to a chord 7 semitones lower than it, doesn't mean you have to do that at all, but what it does do is help you out if you ever get in a creative rut compositionally, because it gives you some options to choose from instead of having to pick one at random and decide if it sounds good.

Why are people so god damn resistant to learning? Like it's literally a hundred times easier to learn about Major and minor 7th intervals, and how to use them over regular chords than it is to just guess 4 notes to put together

>Right. And that's how interesting music is made

So then the most interesting music in the world must come from little 4 year olds who sit down at a piano for the first time in their lives and press the keys at random...

idk about ryu but i dont think he was pursuing a real career at the time

this is dumb unless youre old as fuck and about to die

God damn, my autism is in full swing. I need to go actually make music about this now

we don't take kindly to those who learn things round these parts

just gonna smash my keyboard until it sounds like eric whitacre why am I not famous yet

i guess none of you guys have real jobs or responsibilities that demand your full attention

Good sound is more about finding good combinations than mixing parts you don't feel are working. If it doesn't feel right, try some new sounds. Also constantly mute tracks. You almost always have too much rather than not enough.

Theory isn't some kind of strict rulebook you have to follow.
It's there to teach you the language of music.
What you do with it is entirely your own choice.

>I mean, I've listened to a lot of music. That's all I need. I feel like studying music theory is just a good way to lock yourself into musical rules.

jesus this is so close minded

just knowing what's in key doesn't mean you have to decide to play it every time. "studying" strictly is boring and past a certain point is a waste of time if you already know your basics- the real advantage is when you hear specific moments that pique interest and you analyze that part to see why exactly it sounds like that . just "feeling it" might yield the result eventually depending on how good an ear you have, but you're just holding yourself back when you could have previous knowledge to get the result instantly.

>That is literally the only way to make unique music.

just shutup

no problem mates

never too late mate. my favorite example is michael gira :p

i like how you phrase that as if it's an insult and not a gift tho

Superior drummer has this option, I guess not EZ

Actually before I leave, I'm going to address this notion of "lol i dont need to learn musical roolz" with this fantastic video of John Cleese explaining why you're fucking stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

The basic premise is that creativity comes from one of two different mindsets, what he calls the open and close modes. In the open mode, you aren't really paying attention to rules or anything, and making something interesting, which half of you seem so fixated on, whereas in the closed mode, you take a look at what was made in the open mode and you fix it. You get rid of problems, and stop it from being such a damn mess. If you never learn to make music in the closed mode, you will never get anything that sounds really coherent or finished, and that's where all this theory stuff comes in. You can write 1,000,000 chord progressions without learning even the names of notes, but you'll never be able to analyze them, and without that important analysis, you will be spending 500 times longer trying to get the actual chord progression you want

>i guess none of you guys have real jobs or responsibilities that demand your full attention

t. someone who finds excuses to not learn stuff

no, but seriously.
the time you spend here, right now, could be allocated to learning an instrument.

realise that.

what kind of job do you do where you have no spare time at all

Okay, this is probably gonna be retarded, but after getting to know my monitors, headphones, and my Apollo twin so well, as well as mixing and everything, guess what??

I found out I have dolby digital plus on. Some sort of fucking compressor/equalizer. No idea if this was always on, probably was.

Do you guys use this? I'm prob gonna turn it off when I'm producing, but that means I need it off when I'm listening to tunes too, because it all needs to be the same? Or should i deactive forever?
wat do

turn that shit off i actually turn off my motherboard audio and everything goes though my interface

>deactive forever

you're retarded for having to even ask that

I would never have that on

how do I make music? :)

swiftly, and softly. but with spunk

you dont

Rest in peace

Time to turn it on and off over and over and see what the differences are. Why? Fun.

It's about how it feels though. I don't know the names of chords, but I know everything that sounds good on my piano. Maybe I'm just smarter than you, but who knows. The words used in music theory make absolutely zero sense. The circle of fifths keeps on circling, right? Well, that's like my mind. I know what sounds good. I don't know where you're getting that I need to "pick one at random and decide if it sounds good" because I already know it sounds good.

No. I'm just saying theory does not need to be learned. Actually touching an instrument and feeling where the good sounds are is all you need. Sure,. You have to practice, but I've learned everything I need to know from touching an instrument, not reading a book.

Almost all of a good mix is the dynamics or the volume. You have to to be really picky about velocity if you want it to sound professional. But since that's a lot of work, make sure you can set up things so you can easily swap things down stream from all your tweaking. So, for example, get a sampler and tweak the velocities and various automation carefully, then have it so that you can put in new samples which can be altered by that same template of tweaking, and then you need to adjust a little bit. Also good music will sound much better in a mix than music that's not working. Make lots and lots of sound and have fun. Worry about 20 hours of mixing much later. A very small amount of sound actually sounds amazing together, most sounds bad some sounds pretty good, but only a small amount sounds amazing, so you need to figure out how to get lots of combinations fast. Sorry I couldn't listen, I don't have speakers right now.

>I would go insane if I was like "ok, so I have a c chord, then I have to pair it with an Eb because thems the rules

what made you think those are the rules?

this is a troll thread now isn't it
;___;

I think its the MOUG guy.

I don't know what the rules are. I was just saying some shit as an example

i want to die

Anybody else excited about Maschine finally being able to use audio tracks? I feel like NI is headed in a good direction towards a song mode.

Now that's a whole heap of invaluable info right there.

I haven't played around with samplers yet; probably wouldn't have for some time, but now I think I'll get on one some time tomorrow.

Stellar post.

Hi /prod/, lurkerfriend here. (Sorry for mobileposting)
Is there anyone here who's experienced with DTMing on a laptop? I'm desperately trying to upgrade from my current shitty Windows 8.1 situation. The computer is cheap and on its last legs at this point. The laptop I just bought (Win 10, Acer Aspire) has awful lag when I run Cubase, it doesn't make sound until measures after the notes are technically played, and even then they're laggy and fuzzy sounding. Would a Lenovo be any better? They make gaming models so I was thinking about buying one as gay as it sounds just because I felt they'd be better in regards to the audio driver... as you can probably tell I'm retarded and have no idea though. pls no bully

Your laptop is probably fine. You do need an audio interface to handle the audio processing though

I can see where you're coming from. But I have to disagree with that breaking these rules are the only way to make unique music. Yeah, there's rules. But there's loopholes and smart ways to bend those rules to make music sound unique. But if you completely obliterate those rules, then you can end up with a shitfest.

Doing some apartment recording so can't mic an amp. Here's my setup:

Guitar -> radial passive DI box -> scarlett 2i2 -> Guitar Rig 5 -> Reaper.

I'm just doing some programmed drums via Drumkit From Hell for now. Never actually done any serious multi track recording before, any tips for eqing the drums/guitar so they don't kill each other in the mix? For reference doing kind of a groove metal style.

>I don't need music theory to make good music
I guess this is true? But if you know what you're doing when it comes to chord progressions, inversions, cadences, etc., then you can make the good shit.

This is why jazz is a really good genre because of the insane chord progressions that actually work.
You can NOT write jazz if you do not know music theory.

How much of my CPU is being destroyed by all this high intensity DAW work all the time?

How do I find better sources for sound? Learn an instrument? Buy a synth?

mfw playing extremely short MIDI notes of a fully processed bass makes really good little percussion sounds 99 times out of 100

Make a eurobeat track.

I'm playing around with some synths but I have this feeling it sounds 'off' for some reason. I'm trying to make it wavy and give it some swing. can someone tell me whats wrong, is it off time or what. it's the synth that comes in at 00:17
clyp.it/z4xfbr41

Are there any better audio interfaces around the same price range as the Scarlett Solo or should I go ahead and buy it?

audient id4

I used to use a Steinberg ur22 mk2 and I liked it

What did he mean by this

>You can NOT write jazz if you do not know music theory.
Thank fuck I not know music theory. If I wanted to write jazz I’d buy a fucking trumpet not a synthesiser. There’s a reason why don Buchla didn’t include a keyboard on his synths.

Fuck you and fuck music theory.

Anybody else excited about Maschine finally being able to use audio tracks? I feel like NI is headed in a good direction towards a song mode.

Not really. Maschine was sold as a sampler/groove box and instead of developing that idea N.I have been constantly trying to updating the software into a fully fledged daw, whilst still leaving huge features from the sampler missing.
Maschine should technically be the most powerful sampler you can buy. N.I need to step their shit up. I don’t need all those functions of a daw as I already have a fully functioning daw that has all the features I need including the ability of running plugins like Maschine.

Well that gate mode does pitch changing as well damn.

Fuck me, I've been using Ableton for almost 5 years and I just found out thet the width slider on the Utility device doesn't sum to mono, but it's just a mid/side crossfade thing.
I should've read the fucking manual.

Nevermind, I'm doubly retarded.
It does sum L/R when at 0% and from 100% to 200% it crossfades between the original and only the side info.

I've never heard of the whole thing

its cool I put it on a lot of tracks. Nice to automate that gain instead of the fader

Haha I learned keys at the age of 22 and now I'm close to absolute virtuosity and I'm 24 now

Yeah I started theoretical composition at the age of 14 but still

Also quints get

>BOOST THAT BAZZ BIATCH
>REVERB ON MASTER BUS BOI
>20 KEYSTROKES PER SECOND WHILE ARPEGGIATING THAT CUNT
>HARMONIZATIONZ UP YO' AZZ
>NESTED BUS FUCKERY

Now you're a pro.

What are some good soundpacks for FL Studio? The stock options just aren't doing it for me anymore. I've got Native Instruments and Kontakt sitting in my torrent client, but they're 400GB combined.

Fully synthesized this track
clyp.it/qkuijths
Should i add some samples?

samplescience.ca/2016/10/samplescience-tr-626-hd.html this is a good one, check this out

Music theory is not about rules dumbass
It's descriptive, not prescriptive

this. if you want to break rules you have to know them. people who say music theory is useless are just pissed that they can't get into it.

not exactly, it's pretty well played and arranged but he did not write this. Autumn Leaves is a jazz standard. He did improv/write in a solid chunk here. What's more important though is his playing style which is pretty technically solid. Obviously you will never be the best when you learn at 22 but Ryo does really do his influences well in my opinion.

without music theory it's a bit like playing tetris but all the pieces look like the same shape. using the colors you might pick up on some patterns that fit together, but you're not gonna see why they're fitting.

Your CPU is not being destroyed, at least not permanently. I don't really know what you mean by this. If you mean, how much processing power is being eaten up by a DAW, there's no way to say without taking a look at a process/task monitor.

music theory should be something nice. it should help you to find out why something sounds good and some other thing bad. if everything you do sounds nice to you noone will force you to learn music theory. if you listen to something and want to reproduce it music theory can make it a lot easier. and it makes it easier for musicians to communicate.

I was given a decent yamaha tenor sax (appraised around $600+). I have no idea how to play it though. How do I learn?

by practicing of course

Well If you have a microphone you could totally make a little chord progression, C major maybe or whatever and try to play a little sax melody over that. Make a little song.

Much easier to learn if you are applying the theory in practice.

what is the verdict on the korg volca sample?

how is it for recording into daws? how is it for live performance and improvising as a standalone?

From what I understand the audio quality is sub par and it's samples are limited, but the demos I've seen on youtube seem to make it look like it's a quality device.

but your example shows that you don't know what music theory is

clyp.it/1cil2k3m

what do you guys think?

haven't really started mixing or mastering yet but how does everything fit together so far?

Would my Acer Chromebook 11 powerful enough to run like Mixcraft DAW on it, or do I really need to use my PC for that?

It's enough.

except for the part where mixcraft wont run on chrome os

Maybe he put Windows on it.
Not sure if his model allows that, but I know you can on some Chromebooks.