Any good Lovecraftian films out there?

Any good Lovecraftian films out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UpfcmWU8aCo
youtube.com/watch?v=xeMNDhTWJ-o
youtube.com/watch?v=w-aoACLcBP4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Forget what people may tell you, Dagon was a fantastic B-movie. Perfect blend of Lovecraftian lore, gore, cheesy FX and dark humor.

OP said films.

this is kino.

The Last Wave
Mothman Prophecies

>Infinite chaos
>infinite evil

Alien

Do you read Sutter Cane?

The Mist

The Thing.
Based on a novella written by one of Lovecraft's admiring correspondence. It's basically At The Mountains of Madness lite.

just read the hellboy and BPRD comics bro
best lovecraft adapdation you'll ever find

youtube.com/watch?v=UpfcmWU8aCo

This is a pretty alright adaption of the Music of Erich Zann, which is one of my favorites of his stories.

youtube.com/watch?v=xeMNDhTWJ-o

bloodborne

Nothing lite about it.

Hellboy, on other hand, is Lovecraft lite... but it's beautifully executed.

I meant lite as in smaller in scope. It's still a very Lovecraftian story which has two great film adaptions.

>Lovecraft lite
surely you mean the movies only by that. the comics are dark as fuck

The comics have their dark, moody moments. But most of the time they're Lovecraft by pulp, too many explosions and a Demon-Man superhero and/or his super team punching Cthulhus in the face.

It's not a matter of being dark, it's a matter of dealing with metaphysical concepts and overwhelming existential despair. If the story is about the hero overcoming these things rather than succumbing to them, it isn't very Lovecraftian

BRPD kinda-sorta, Hellboy isn't an impotent character though. It's also very pulpy, in a good way.

not these

The one with Uxiafu

The 2005 Call of Cthulhu adaptation by the HPLHS, that's pretty much it for a proper straight Lovecraft movie. The only other thing I'd even dare to call Lovecraftian was The Mothman Prophecies, but that was more general weird fiction than specifically the kind of the existential horror of Lovecraft. Alien is a close third, if only for the planet and ruined ship they find the eggs on, hinting a greater cosmic inhabitance and power than humanity, one that's truly inhuman and coldly hostile, but Alien is more of a haunted house/slasher movie.

Anything by Stuart Gordon is out the window, he's a hack.

Event Horizon was more Warhammer 40K than Lovecraft, and WH40K aint Lovecraft.

In the Mouth of Madness is Lovecraft-lite, it's more a celebration of Lovecraft stuff than an actual proper HPL kind of story.

The Mist is DUDE TENTACLES LMAO tier.

The Thing on the surface seems Lovecraftian, but there's no deeper themes of existential horror and cosmic insignificance. The Thing is about the fear of infection, that once you're infected, you can no longer be counted as human, it's part of the AIDS panic. There's some fear of the loss of humanity, but it's a bi-product of the rest.

Hellboy is straight up pulp action, one of my favourite movies, but it isn't Lovecraftian at all whatsoever. Even the 'Conqueror Worm' comic arc, the most overtly cosmic, is still really pulpy.

People who recommend this are instantly disqualified.

>there's no deeper themes of existential horror
There actually are, similar to the ones In The Mountains of Madness, except the thing is far more horrifying than a shoggoth could ever hope to be. The scary part of ITMoM isn't really the charging shoggoth, it's realizing that shoggoths murdered their creators (who are one of the most reliable Lovecraftian aliens) begun to crudely imitate their art and speech after overthrowing them.

The thing is the ultimate alien. It has a single mind which can split into different independent ones or merge. It did so countless of times. It's really puts the primitiveness of our minds and views in perspective.

It's a great movie, though.

>In the Mouth of Madness is Lovecraft-lite, it's more a celebration of Lovecraft stuff
>celebration

You misspelled "mockery."

ur mums wedding tape

What defines "lovecraftian"?

ur mums wedding tape lmao

End of Eva

Slither I think qualifies.
Otherworldly ancient horror bent on domination
gross insanity inducing creatures

It really creeped me out in an unsettling way.

What?
Eva is not even remotely lovecraftian

reminded me more of 40k

It was gross, but had a lot of my fetishes in it. I've never been so aroused and uncomfortable at the same time before.

Okay, but those themes are never gone into, explored or really discussed. It's mentioned once that who knows how many things it became before. If it was a Lovecraft story, that point would have been hammered home to really get across the point you're dealing with something vastly more intelligent and capable than you. But in the movie, it's treated as nothing more than a monster.

At the Mountains of Madness' horror wasn't the shoggoth, it was the realization that there was a civilization on Earth millions of years before yours, before even your species, and that that civilization was responsible for everything you see today. It's meant to make a point of your life and people and civilization being a transient cast off of something far greater that can come back. The horror of the story isn't that the scary monster killed its creators, the shoggoth shows up for some in your face horror (further implying that this ancient power is still here) and then the guy sees some more bullshit beyond the mountains which drives him insane, making a point to say 'You thought this was bad? They had to deal with worse.'

The ninth gate maybe?

Carpenter likes Lovecraft and had fun with it. Mouth of Madness is good fun, but it's surface level.

Lovecraftian horror is a subgenre of horror that deals with the insignificance of humanity on a cosmic scale, that humanity exists as a blip in a coldly hostile universe that's just as likely to tread on it as it is leave it alone, if only because it's so small the universe doesn't notice. There is no supernatural angle in Lovecraftian horror, it is purely materialistic. The tentacle monsters and fishpeople are literary tools to get across the idea of a wider existence than humanity's narrow, limited reality.

I wouldn't call it an adaptation, not even an extension of the Mythos or any other of Lovecraft's other settings. It channels Lovecraftian themes at times but really it's an amalgamation of Kirby, pulp and classic horror comics.

Lovecraftian horror is a subgenre of horror fiction that emphasizes the cosmic horror of the unknown (and in some cases, unknowable) more than gore or other elements of shock, though these may still be present. It is named after American author H. P. Lovecraft (1890 – 1937).

From Beyond.

Absentia

At the Mountains of madness by Del TorAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

>If it was a Lovecraft story, that point would have been hammered home to really get across the point you're dealing with something vastly more intelligent and capable than you.
Yes, Lovecraft wasn't big on show-don't-tell.

I love Stuart Gordon flicks, but unfortunately and exactly for how un-Lovecraftian they are.
From Beyond is like a live action tits-n-gore OVA shockfest, the kind you used to get from MANGA Entertainment. That in itself just ain't very Lovecraftian, but it's great fun.

With the kind of literary childhood he had, it's no wonder he didn't wind up as bad as Poe.

Has this movie reached cult status?
vore
inflation
mind control
tentacles in orifices
cannibalism

it's been awhile since I've seen it but those stick out

I wonder if this did well in Japan?

Nyarlathotep's music.
youtube.com/watch?v=w-aoACLcBP4

Maximum Heresy.

this movie is above average, but not great

Pandorum?

Is this what happened when humanity reached warp for the first time?

Yoga Hosers

What about Dagon, I only ask because when I was a kid and saw it, it scared the shit out of me.

Stuart Gordon makes gross out 80s gorefests with the Lovecraft's name slapped on. I'm really not a fan of his movies at all. I remember liking Dagon years ago and was happy when I finally tracked a copy down, but these days, not so much.

It's The Shadow Over Innsmouth with a different location, added characters, added tits, ton of new material added for no real reason.

What about Dagon?

is this any good?

See I mentioned Stuart Gordon. I'm not a fan.

John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns

why is he wearing that mask

Does House on Haunted Hill count, considering that dark idol that corrupts everyone?

Cus' it was still the early 2000's and restaurants allowed people to smoke inside.

His last great work, not counting his music.
Basically, The King In Yellow but Cinema.

>The Mist is DUDE TENTACLES LMAO tier.

Shut the fuck up. It's the best movie mentioned ITT by far.

Idiot.

you people like this garbage? I remember being an edgy 15 year old too. Not one decent movie listed.

It does a lad good to remember his current age.
Good show.

topkek

>House on Haunted Hill

Here's how to tell if something's Lovecraftian: overarching theme of existential, cosmic dread, human limitation and ignorance, generally some kind of strange creature that exists to further hammer home the previous concepts.

The popular view of Lovecraft is, in my opinion, very terribly skewed from decades of mistreatment stemming from the fuckassery of one August Derleth, fanboy extraordinaire and possessive shithead. He messed a lot of stuff up with his flagrant disregard for how and why Lovecraft wrote his stories. Derleth injected Christian morality and black and white good/evil concepts in Lovecraftian fiction, the sheer opposite of what Lovecraft wrote. This kind of trend continued on under his influence and 'guidance', people discovering Lovecraft for the first time were introduced to collections edited by Derleth and to stories 100% written by Derleth, but carrying Lovecraft's name because Derleth considered taking a single line idea from a diary and fleshing it out into a whole story a 'posthumous collaboration'.

Dark idols, cults and tentacle monsters are tools from a very specific time in history that look and sound weird, even cliched, to us now, but remember this is back during the 20s and 30s, shit was weird and different back then. Theosophy was big, Spiritualism was just ending, all kinds of political and social upheaval around the world, fucking evolution was only barely beginning to be accepted in the mainstream in any way and even then scientific racism was the norm, people thought very different back then.

Spooky monsters do not a Lovecraft film make.

Please don't tell us you like Arthur 'She Wanted Me To Perform Oral Sex On Her, I Have Seen Hell' Machen.

thats super fucking gay.

>As a matter of fact—although of course I always knew that paederasty was a disgusting custom of many ancient nations—I never heard of homosexuality as an actual instinct till I was over thirty . . . which beats your record! It is possible, I think that this perversion occurs more frequently in some periods than in others—owing to obscure biological & psychological causes. Decadent ages—when psychology is unsettled—seem to favour it. Of course—in ancient times the extent of the practice of paederasty (as a custom which most simply accepted blindly, without any special inclination) cannot be taken as any measure of the extent of actual psychological perversion.
>So far as the case of homosexuality goes, the primary and vital objection against it is that it is naturally (physically and involuntarily—not merely ‘morally’ or aesthetically) repugnant to the overwhelming bulk of mankind...

-Howard Phillips Lovecraft, the "fucking gay"

This thread has really made me question if Sup Forums has any idea what "Lovecraftian" even means.

LOTTA LOYALTY FOR A HIRED GUN

That's nothing, you should try starting a similar thread on Sup Forums. No matter how you try to direct it, it will just devolve into an argument about Bloodborne.

All that capeshit you like wouldn't have existed as it does without Lovecraft. :^)

fuck off back to Sup Forums and kill yourself

No.

no