Prog thread

Having relationship issues and need some prog to calm me...

Do your best

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Rn9tzirks4
kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/polygondwanaland
youtube.com/watch?v=y2kObw63scg
youtube.com/watch?v=EsTjVxCfx04
youtube.com/watch?v=UE7UpcIJ9Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3KRNcHxu8
youtube.com/watch?v=hZU9IddvBNE
youtube.com/watch?v=zu1GuGXGvyE
youtube.com/watch?v=rE0b5_TePzE
youtube.com/watch?v=_UgSE4uKuTg
youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs
youtube.com/watch?v=hc0LirQhmWo
youtube.com/watch?v=Kesio4k-dMU
youtube.com/watch?v=GyFQAHc8oao
twitter.com/AnonBabble

maybe you wouldn’t have relationship issues if you didn’t listen to garbage like prog

What's your favorite Kanye West album?

808s

Sweet canterbury bliss

wish I could help, OP, I'm still kind of at entry level with stuff like can and genesis. enjoying it so far though.

everybody thinks everybody else's taste is garbage. what's your point? name me the five best polka albums.

Is cool though, Can and Genesis are great bands :)

youtube.com/watch?v=7Rn9tzirks4

here you go friend. hope all goes well.

My personal favorite prog album, probably the last true prog album Rush did but also their best.

I’m And my favorite is Life of Pablo, thanks for reminding me

kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/polygondwanaland

still F R E E

another under-appreciated masterpiece

early ELO was proggy as fuck my man

You're welcome

how is this band prog? is just simple riff from b. sabbath

Its not a prog band, its a psych prog album.

It has pretty clear prog influences in the way the album is structured, as one musical idea flows into the next. It's like they are playing psych/garage rock riffs but in the structure of a prog song.

I don't know shit about prog outside of Floyd rec me some essentials and hidden gems pls.

Camel's mirage is p fricking great imo

This is the most essential prog album

discipline or fracture by king crimson
fear of a blank planet by porcupine tree
banco del mutuo soccorso by banco del mutuo soccorso

I want more albums that sound like
I Robot or Eye in the Sky by Alan Parsons Project, any recs?

Nobody ever talks about Spanish prog but bands like triana, iceberg, Mezquita, cai, and Medina Azahara make quality prog music. Nobody really listens to the lyrics anyway so the fact that they’re all in Spanish shouldn’t be an issue

youtube.com/watch?v=y2kObw63scg

Is it prog?

Is it good prog?

Rush – Moving Pictures
Yes – Fragile
Camel – Mirage

yes and yes

this is a great recommendation ,
if you want calm prog i'd suggest this album above everything else (see #6 for example): youtube.com/watch?v=EsTjVxCfx04
this one's definitely underrated IMO: youtube.com/watch?v=UE7UpcIJ9Sg (#2, #4 and #6 are especially calming if you seek that)
or some great Pink Floyd (Echoes!): youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3KRNcHxu8
Crime of the Century by Supertramp is great as well, although more art rock/prog pop (cannot find a youtube link in my country, sorry)
if you like Yes, the final track of Relayer is also great for relaxing: youtube.com/watch?v=hZU9IddvBNE
personally, i really dig this one: youtube.com/watch?v=zu1GuGXGvyE some nice prog folk

YEEEEEPPP

I hate it when people think Pink Floyd is prog, even the members of Pink Floyd don’t think its prog, Floyd is just like any other shitty pop band but normalfags like to think their music is deep so they all buy their records to try to look cool and edgy and different

>i hate when people miscategorize music
>pink floyd is a pop band

if you love yes you will love this

Anything that isn’t prog is pop. Pink Floyd had 2 singles top the charts, they obviously try to make their music commercial. They have 5 or so songs with whacky time signatures but other than that pink floyd doesn’t really have characteristics of prog

It's not experimental.

Want to hear Canadian Prog's best kept secret?
youtube.com/watch?v=rE0b5_TePzE

>Anything that isn’t prog is pop.
Maybe you need to learn more about what those words mean user.
>Pink Floyd had 2 singles top the charts, they obviously try to make their music commercial.
See above.
>They have 5 or so songs with whacky time signatures but other than that pink floyd doesn’t really have characteristics of prog
Very little of their output was an attempt at simple pop song structures. Call it art rock or psych rock or whatever, but they weren't going for a pop sound.

every time I hear counting out time, it makes me think of r9k

I don't know, they're kinda experimenting with polyrhythms on the analog synthesizers and drums.
Though, just because it isn't completely experimental doesn't mean it isn't prog.
Also if you can only enjoy music that is fully and entirely innovative then you're pretty limited.
All music draws inspiration from other music, some records more than others, but it's still a different sound for people to enjoy.

>tfw can't listen to that song

uhoh, what did you do?

Just wanted to thank the user who recommended pic related a few months back if he's here
Good shit

Neither is Moving Pictures, but it's still prog canon

Oh shit user, you were right, thank you!

>Canadian prog's best kept secret
2112 is overrated?

He wasn't saying that he can only enjoy innovative music, but that it's not experimental enough to be called prog

The title track is brilliant, everything else in 2112 is only alright

Prog doesn't have to be experimental. It's characterized by being a playground for things like odd time signatures, polyrythm, microtones, story driven and science fiction lyrics; all of that is prog as fuck. But none of that is new anymore. Prog is just "complex, long form, sometimes wanky rock". That's not even a bad thing. But there isn't much new ground left to explore. That doesn't mean that prog is dead, just that it's codified.

This whole album is underrated as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=_UgSE4uKuTg

>Everyone always praises "Close to the Edge"
>While "And You and I" is the true GOAT track of this album
All 3 of them are great though
Also posting my favourite Yes song(and one of my favourite songs in general)
youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs

Siberian khatru has always been my favorite on close to the edge

King Crimson is my favorite band of all time, really recommend you this one

I’ve never liked Devil’s Triangle but the rest of the album is good

>mfw b-side starts playing

It's definitely the most catchy and best for "generic" listening, I also love it, but I feel that And You and I is the best when it comes to "art" value

Fuck, that sounded snobbish as fuck, forgive me

best prog ever recorded coming through

Tarkus is elp’s best record

There is no finer prog record than this masterpiece

:)

Been trying to get into some Gentle Giant. They've always kind of intrigued me but I find them to be a pretty mixed bag. Got to know their debut, Free Hand, and The Power & The Glory a bit better over my Thanksgiving break, fell head over heels for this track:

youtube.com/watch?v=hc0LirQhmWo

I just can't get enough of that 9/4 groove, especially the final 30 seconds where they play it without the lead vocal. I don't see it mentioned nearly as much as some other tracks on this album, but it could be my favorite GG song so far.

Prog?

Their best

*blocks your moog*

>Built Bufford steps in
Punk doesn't stand a chance

bill bufford lol

>needing arms around you
>needing prog to calm you
lmao
listen to in search of ancient gods

This and these

>Built Bufford
epic desu

>tfw you realize how much second rate prog is clogging up your library

I should just purge and only keep the 9s/10s

Who the fuck is Bill Sabbath

this would make a great band name desu

Pretty much

do people actually think this?

The title track is good, the second side is just filler

Half the title track is already filler and only half of the b side is filler.

What don’t you like about the title track? I really like stones of years, mass, battlefield, and aquatarkus, everything else is alright. As for the b side, only bitches crystal is good

>no Greg Lake acoustic ballads
It’s shit

this

>not even a mention for Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, SEbtP, The Lamb, or AToTT
>wew lad

>To Be Over mentioned
my fuckin man

Boris is also great. One of my favourite prog albums.

Why is Steven Wilson so polarizing here?

literally not prog

What?

explain

he sucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kesio4k-dMU

Retard

You suck

No idea, I think that album is perfection though

Because of Fantano drones

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF NOT EVEN ELP'S BEST ALBUM

you cant call it prog if the album made the billboard 200 or had a single from it that charted

who /flamencoprog/ here?

You guys should check this one out. It's a little heavier, more like prog hard rock, but it's worth it.

youtube.com/watch?v=GyFQAHc8oao

>is just simple riff from b. sabbath
musically illiterate