Wtf were they thinking scenes

wtf were they thinking scenes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xQBGmBOhQEE
youtube.com/watch?v=ckbhnKVRWUA
youtu.be/rNlmRId2FVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bnh6ZDKOVOI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"that will be a funny parody reference that adults can find funny and also make kids laugh because of the ridiculousness"

So who is the nigger

So it was a pulp fiction reference but also a men in black reference?

I thought this was the funniest fucking thing I'd ever seen back then.

HERE WE ARE NOW
ENTERTAIN US

It was released two years after Pulp Fiction came out so it wouldn't have even been a timely reference.

yeah, no one remembers Pulp Fiction anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=xQBGmBOhQEE

If they put in some out of nowhere reference to Whiplash or some shit in a kids film that released this year you wouldn't think that was a weirdly stale thing to reference?

A pulp fiction reference in a movie now would be less questionable now than it would have been in 1996. Now it's a canonized "classic" and can be referenced for ever, but in 1996 it's recent enough and yet late enough that they were gunning for the current cultural zeitgeist but missed their window.

not really.
Pulp Fiction was shown at a bunch of festivals before it got a cinematic release, it earned its reputation pretty hard and fast.

You're adorable. What's it like not having been alive when pulp fiction came out? You child. You fucking child.

I was alive but a small child. Were people still actively referencing pulp fiction 2 years after the fact to the point that seeing the space jam joke wouldn't have felt lame? If they were then it would be very different today with how disposable movies seem to be and how quickly they fade from the cultural consciousness, even the "great" ones.

it was a different time

How did Jesus get trapped under the ice? Did he come back as a seal?

it used to be that a lot of films just became instant classics.
That's exceedingly rare now for the reason you brought up.
High budgets means films need to be more calculated, less risky.
Less risky means fewer films break the mold and make the kind of impression on audiences that would be prime for referencing in pop culture.

>it used to be that a lot of films just became instant classics.
Maybe it's just because I am too close to it now so I lack perspective but I can't think of a single example from this decade. I remember people making a big fuss about Inception at the time but that didn't seem to have much longevity. I don't know if it's that the films are worse or if there's just so much media that everything gets drowned out.

You've got shit like the MCU but it's the overall brand that has the strength in people's minds, the actual films are completely disposable.

Avatar was probably the biggest new IP but even that movie has been mostly forgotten now.

that kinda sound cool
the captain outfit is shit thought

Spacejam is absolute kino.

jojo reference?

Literally 1/1000th as cool as this entrance.

youtube.com/watch?v=ckbhnKVRWUA

The impact Pulp Fiction had on pop culture was big, Whiplash had nothing compared to that except for that one tempo meme posted here, which didn't even take off. Compare it to something like The Dark Knight, which really never stopped being referenced in pop culture.

youtu.be/rNlmRId2FVQ

This is such a weird movie. All the Hook scenes are goat and all the Lost Boys scenes are trash.

This happens a lot with Spielberg tentpoles. There's typically two movies: one they want him to make, and the one he wants to make.

youtube.com/watch?v=bnh6ZDKOVOI

>don't try to stop me, Smee

I WANT TO FLY LIKE AN EAGLE, TO THE SEA

Good god, that set is gorgeous.

Why are they singing smells like team spirit?

to be fair, there were a lot of pulp fiction parodies back then, simpsons and that lethal weapon spoof movie were right away to be noticed by kids

Not gonna lie. I had no idea Spielberg directed Hook.

Have you never watched original looney tunes? Half of it is old movie references.

i don't get it

The other day I was thinking that this bothered me about Tiny Toons. They namedrop a Carrie reference they made once. What 90s kid is going to know that?

While the original Men in Black comics date back to 1990, Space Jam was out by 1996. A year before the first Men in Black movie came.

What about the Blues Brothers?