/classical/

youtube.com/watch?v=FTUWCr3IXxw

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VXI9F-w5dec
youtube.com/watch?v=TARZYV9PEbc
youtube.com/watch?v=HGuBCas2vf4
youtube.com/watch?v=bFRL6zsxTyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JS8tnac9ad0
youtube.com/watch?v=ecM7_3rs5gU
youtube.com/watch?v=E3WurwRHFIM
youtube.com/watch?v=FV0tEZ7bpMk
youtube.com/watch?v=7A7v-wK8j7g
youtube.com/watch?v=WKvNoI2nvRk
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_nNxJt4cnc
scribd.com/document/365920253/Symphony-No-1
youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2myoP2wZI
youtube.com/watch?v=-Tm0Phjiouk
youtube.com/watch?v=yM8CFR01KwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=u9QLiefnoDE
youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
youtube.com/watch?v=kpLeXGYwIm8
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM&t=1053s
youtube.com/watch?v=BezVoCatL8s
youtube.com/watch?v=u7cNznH0GhI
youtube.com/watch?v=QcOOqsS-B_w
youtube.com/watch?v=h19HwEJfhvo
youtube.com/watch?v=7biIpKLVELk
youtube.com/watch?v=H17wFP9n7RY
youtube.com/watch?v=8-WH7rCMIPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pjeGKHJCimQ
youtube.com/watch?v=w_3-htU3Egs
youtube.com/watch?v=8dmWAve3Pvk
youtube.com/watch?v=Mc92Zt3EPIM
youtube.com/watch?v=XN4zVfOkNzA
youtube.com/watch?v=1Hr3OvjpE78
youtube.com/watch?v=hpgav4yAUv8
youtube.com/watch?v=F7m0Xngyw3k
youtube.com/watch?v=b44-5M4e9nI
youtube.com/watch?v=kyy38weNZuc
youtube.com/watch?v=shTDEWgHNgQ
youtu.be/QqA3qQMKueA
youtube.com/watch?v=Qtuwy37Nr-k
youtube.com/watch?v=_1QQtbRFHU0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Weill
youtube.com/watch?v=VXI9F-w5dec

Solo violin edition.
youtube.com/watch?v=TARZYV9PEbc
youtube.com/watch?v=HGuBCas2vf4
youtube.com/watch?v=bFRL6zsxTyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JS8tnac9ad0

youtube.com/watch?v=ecM7_3rs5gU

Is this too sappy?

youtube.com/watch?v=E3WurwRHFIM

>tfw no Andreas Scholl bf

youtube.com/watch?v=FV0tEZ7bpMk

Since it's getting to be Christmastime - what's your favorite recording of Bach's Christmas Oratorio? Any other good Christmas-y works to check out?

youtube.com/watch?v=7A7v-wK8j7g
youtube.com/watch?v=WKvNoI2nvRk
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_nNxJt4cnc

Who is best girl, Yuja or Valentina?

How's this score looking so far?

scribd.com/document/365920253/Symphony-No-1

Note that scribd makes the PDF look like shit, so download it if you want to see it without missing stave lines and weird artifacts.

lang lang (female)

Which piano concerto should I learn? In school for piano and thinking between Grieg, Beethoven in C Minor, or Mozart in D minor.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated

youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2myoP2wZI
youtube.com/watch?v=-Tm0Phjiouk
youtube.com/watch?v=yM8CFR01KwQ

My favourite:

youtube.com/watch?v=u9QLiefnoDE

youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

That one would certainly be ambitious

They're both horseshit. Ekaterina Derzhavina and Irina Mejoueva, to name a couple, have both greater musical judgement and a more compelling repertory than either of them. I can't even think of any more recent examples, and not for lack of trying on my part. Anna Geniushene? Yulianna Avdeeva? Anna Tsybuleva? What is it with the name Anna that suddenly makes women slightly less mediocre?

I know your question wasn't entirely serious, but it's actually pretty fucking obnoxious how the current crop of female pianists (Buniatshvili, Ott, your two) would rather just play the same Romantic warhorses but quicker and noisier than ever while Trifonov, Moog, Debargue, Grosvenor, etc. are putting out far more captivating readings of standard and lesser rep alike. And it's been this way for so long! Hamelin is programming sonatas by fucking SAMUIL FEINBERG while Martha Argerich, bless her soul for that one time she played Chopin 10-1 really fast, is going to perform the Schumann concerto for the ten billionth time in recent history. Imagine having a career distinguished enough to grant you access to any concert hall you could dream of, and you would continue to play the same music you've been playing for the past 50 years, and that everyone has already heard to death for the past 100. What in the world happened to the Eileen Joyces, the de Larrochas, and the Tatiana Nikolaevas? Don't get me wrong, it's not all about their programs, but these dumb jezebels also have unforgivably little to offer in the way of musicality compared to their predecessors.

Schopenhauer was right, indelibly and utterly fucking right. I consider myself fairly liberal but I absolutely will concede that women, nowadays, at least, are walking and talking garbage for the most part. Piano music is in the most anemic and pathetic state it's ever been which is a god damn shame for geniuses like M.A. Hamelin who I admire above all else if only for keeping this tradition alive just a little longer.

I think Avdeeva is pretty good, but I'm partial to Russians. Valentina isn't terrible but everyone knows why Yuja is famous

youtube.com/watch?v=kpLeXGYwIm8

Didn't read.

This was actually the exact performance that I had in mind when I thought of her. I'm glad she learned this instead of the usual Scarbo or Jeux d'eau, although either is much preferable to more uninspiring Chopin studies. Her Dante sonata is nice, and she's been programming Szymanowski lately which is cool. Valentina is probably the least offensive of the shitty women that were mentioned, but I have a soft spot for Slavic musicians too. I can appreciate her Scriabin polonaise, but her Liszt sonata is so deal-breakingly gross to me. Her Beethoven isn't all that bad, but the rest of her rep is... blech. Her technique is astonishing in some pieces and hilariously sloppy in others. I liked her playing way more when I was in high school.

@76591280
Thanks for the (You), sweetie.

Funny you say that because I'm learning Sonatine and two etudes in addition to having previously learned Jeax d'eau. The latter's a fun piece to play for people who are easily impressed

schoenberg

youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM&t=1053s

>"here's the aux, play somethin' lit!"

youtube.com/watch?v=BezVoCatL8s

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Jeux d'eau. I've had it under my own belt for almost half a decade now, and my sensibility has fortunately long since sobered into less of Cziffra and more of Aimard. I just find that it's overplayed, and not very convincingly most of the time when younger pianists are involved. And 'easily impressed' is a strange way of putting it, I think the composition is just universally admired for fairly obvious reasons.

The Sonatine is a really great piece, but I've only read through it here and there and never actually committed it to memory. The last solo Ravel I learned was the Valses nobles last year, but I performed his second violin sonata with a friend over the past summer. I'm more into Faure and Messiaen these days, among some lesser known French miniaturists like Melanie Bonis and Claude Delvincourt.

Underrated wall of text. (You're wrong though, women have always been shit artists.)

>Vienna Philharmonic
>only finally allowed women in 20 years ago
>has the least number of women among the big orchestras
>is still GOAT
Coincidence? I think not.

Kleiber is too fast and Celibidache is too slow. What is the perfect Brahms 4th?

whats the difference between omnibus and devil's mill progressions?

I wouldn't say shit. Shittier, maybe, but then who is comparing Clara to Robert, or Tanning to Ernst, and genuinely degrading them for not matching them in their capacity? If they truly have always been terrible, then I can't even begin to imagine what to call them now. The ambition and drive, offset as they were by a lack of mastery, are for the most part nonexistent now. I think you may be right, though. Survivorship bias ensures that only the greatest remain relevant, and even then they are a small and unimpressive lot to pick apart. The numbers really are not in their favor.

Which composers were the best teachers?

Unironically Salieri

Bruch

youtube.com/watch?v=u7cNznH0GhI

I don't know, I can name a lot of great female performers from the 20th century at least. All the women conductors I've heard so far have been complete memes, though (but then again many modern male conductors are zzzzz)

Staatskapelle Dresden has been the actual GOAT for decades now. Vienna overraters pls go

>Kleiber
>fast
Maybe by today's turtle standards, but his tempi are fairly normal if one keeps a historical perspective. If you want a middle ground between the two, something like a Klemperer should serve you fine.

Haydn

youtube.com/watch?v=QcOOqsS-B_w

this was the image I needed at 6 am. ty user

Regret making this thread. You cunts don't deserve music.

looks good

How could he keep his legs straight under the piano at his height? I'm 6'5 and have to splay mine out to the side

Jochum

>tfw my piano teacher wants me to use pedal when playing bach

How do I politely tell her she's a pleb?

use the soft pedal and smile widely at her :^)

Liszt had some really great pupils.

Saint-Saens taught Faure, and Faure taught Ravel, Enescu, Florent Schmitt and Nadia Boulanger. Nadia Boulanger then taught the entire 20th century of art music.

For people that are better known as pedagogues than composers, Leschetizky, N. Zverev, and H. Neuheus essentially fostered between them an entire generation or two of piano playing. Among the students of those three are, I think, the greatest amount of contenders for 'best pianist of all time'.

That stool looks really low. That's pretty much the best solution, though. That, sitting further back from the piano, or some ideal combination of the two. Most schools, concert halls, studios, etc. should have height adjustable stools. I'm 6'2 and I usually have to get it pretty low to feel comfortable, must be even worse for you.

I noticed a really weird thing when I was learning Scriabin's fifth sonata where whenever I would play any of the passages with triad skips, I would uncontrollably rock my right knee side to side. You can probably guess where this is going. I actually didn't notice I was doing it until I was playing at a friend's house and the chair they used with their upright was just barely low enough for me to get my legs under (upright keyboards are a bit higher than grands on average so they didn't think a height adjustable chair was necessary and they were Asian so shorter in general) and I all but dashed my kneecap on the cabinet. I literally have to make a conscious effort to stop doing it, and even then I feel the slightest urge to wiggle it. I've pretty much embraced it at this point, but it's just the weirdest thing to me. Nowhere else, not even in other pieces with skips, do I get this sensation. I just played through the Presto con allegrezza for the first time in a few months and I still look like I'm doing half a fucking Charleston or trying to achieve vibrato through the damper pedal.

>underrating the Wiener

Give me a definition to a "meme performer". You talk about for example Lang Lang and David Garrett, what's wrong about them? Are they overrated Neil degrasse Tyson tier or do they just play the same 15 pieces repeatedly?

we need to expell the anime-baroque poster once for all

A meme performer is someone who is generally popular with the masses, but is more polarizing amongst those who are more knowledgeable/experienced within the field. I don't know about Lang Lang since I don't listen to him, but a common example is someone like a Karajan, who, while by all means a great conductor, was certainly not the end-all-be-all that his marketing and fans suggested he was. Or perhaps a Dudamel, whose dance-moves are the center of discussion regarding his performances, not his conducting ability (which isn't even bad, merely just ordinary)

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=h19HwEJfhvo

Anyone who can fill venues and sell lots of CDs. Especially if they mostly play Romantic music. This upsets autists for some reason.

Bernstein

They rarely, if ever, follow the details of the score. They usually play both quicker than the written tempo, and louder than the written dynamics, sometimes ignoring both just to do whatever they want while keeping the music 'recognizable'. Listen for things like crescendos and accents. This is the biggest tell, just pull up a copy of the music and see if they (generally) follow it. I'm not saying that you have to slave yourself to the composer's instructions, but shitty performers don't make any attempt to do anything beyond memorize the order of the notes and play them to their fancy since their fans don't know any better anyways. They almost always integrate some form of histrionics into their performances; not always a telling thing on its own, but it's been proven time and time again that one can perform the most demanding music imaginable with wonderful expression while avoiding excessive movements entirely so don't conflate ''''''getting lost in the music'''''' with playing well, which many people unfortunately do. They typically have very limited repertoires, consisting of maybe ten to fifteen of the most popular composers that they never venture beyond throughout their entire career. Filters that meme pianists will never touch include Medtner, Albeniz, Busoni, Granados, Alkan, Faure, Godowsky, and really just any great works that aren't as well known as the usual suspects. These people become famous, not through the recommendations of the aficionados and dedicated fans, but through marketing that reaches to people that are likely to search for "moonlight sonata fast part" on YouTube and click the first link they see. Their fans will typically comment things like "Why are classical music fans such hateful snobs? This guy is great! I don't know anything about music, and I still love his playing!" without any hint of irony or self-awareness whatsoever. Similarly, lots of anime avatars in the comments.

I've been saying this for a while.

I did

>If you want a middle ground between the two, something like a Klemperer should serve you fine.
Klempy is actually faster than Kleiber, at least in their most popular recording. Bohm would be more of a middle ground.

Well, kind of. Klemp is faster in the first two movements, Kleiber in the latter two. Klemp always sounds slower to me than he actually is, though, because of his rock-steady tempi. Either way, yeah, someone like a Bohm would be better

She looks retarded.

Stravinsky

youtube.com/watch?v=7biIpKLVELk

Post accomplished performers that started later in life.

Everything in my fucking body hurts from practicing, and I need some sort of validation, please.

K lads
Post your top 10, or 20 if You want.

Beethoven

youtube.com/watch?v=H17wFP9n7RY

>Ekaterina Derzhavina and Irina Mejoueva
who

Chávez

youtube.com/watch?v=8-WH7rCMIPQ

Beethoven's all the way. Which year are you in?

Daily reminder that Beethoven never surpassed Mozart.

youtube.com/watch?v=pjeGKHJCimQ

>tfw you have found out you want to be a classical singer
>tfw you are 23
>tfw you have drunk too much whiskey and smoked too much
>tfw you suck anyway

>tfw you have drunk too much whiskey and smoked too much
didn't stop melchior :)

Lads, I have converted to Christianity.

youtube.com/watch?v=w_3-htU3Egs

Top Kek. Even Haydn is better than le boi genious Mozzzarella.

Anyone know anything similar to Luigi Boccherini?

youtube.com/watch?v=8dmWAve3Pvk

okay brb becoming melchior

youtube.com/watch?v=Mc92Zt3EPIM

cimarosa

You can sing the elderly baritone roles.

I have converted to Judaism.
youtube.com/watch?v=XN4zVfOkNzA

Bernstein (Underrated)

Why do popular orchestras want to play with the meme performers then? Money?

painfully overrated (fact)

Yeah, meme performers and meme pieces bring in the dough.
Incorrect. He's the golden boy. The Winner.
youtube.com/watch?v=1Hr3OvjpE78

Also why is captcha so fucked up?

just gonna say that bernstein is shit once more to save the thread from dying

Does kissin fit into the 'meme pianist' category? I believe so

Brahms

youtube.com/watch?v=hpgav4yAUv8

obviously subjective, but who are some of the best pianists I should know about? lately I've been listening to Argerich and Uchida

what year did the general interpretation of classic orchestral works begin to decline? I want to say worldwide 1968 but a decade earlier in America.

What's the melody in the 23:10 mark

youtube.com/watch?v=F7m0Xngyw3k

Library music. Production companies build up libraries of stock music to use in their productions, or else license from another company.

youtube.com/watch?v=b44-5M4e9nI

Ugorski, Zhukov, Ogdon, Jando, Collard, Weissenberg, Gulda, Tozer, Rosen, Kocsis

A solid ten in no particular order of importance. Should cover just about everything in the rep. I'm leaving out obvious answers like Hamelin and more historical ones like Moiseiwitsch.

>watch "analysis" video
>it's just some sperg listing what the composer has done for 10 minutes

Not true and you need to stop underrating him

I like his Beethovens

thanks buddy

Alessandro > Domenico
youtube.com/watch?v=kyy38weNZuc

youtube.com/watch?v=shTDEWgHNgQ

Someone post Venetian music
also reminder that Enrico Dandolo is based

youtu.be/QqA3qQMKueA

c h a c o n n e

So on balance, this thread has contributed exactly 0 to the total number of Christians and Jews?

So this is who Mozart ripped off.

Catoire
youtube.com/watch?v=Qtuwy37Nr-k

Brahms

youtube.com/watch?v=_1QQtbRFHU0

most/all of the late starters are opera singers, sorry to burst your bubble

>tfw Zhukov converted me to Tchai's 2nd PC