England, it is very prejudiced against art and culture

isn't that a paradox

White people

free jazz

technology

You touching yourself at night.

pic is wrong

anyhow

Any style will eventually become tedious if repeated enough.. it doesnt lose artistic merit, it'll just sound tired.. sometimes i have to put myself in a mindset of what pop culture was like, to appreciate older tunes

>Liking your appearance, personality, and taste
>Mutually exclusive with not believing you can achieve success and/or thinking others will dislike you based on perceived tastes
?

Heroin mostly.

stuffy white suits coming in and imposing rules on what can and can't be defined as jazz.

Yeah. Once you didn't have to pay for it, the market value plummeted

I was considering self-doubt as more than just that. More like disliking yourself, and whatever art you are creating, which to me conflicts with narcissism.
I guess that meaning is a bit too strong for the word though, so you're right.

i think it's just because other genres had lower entry barriers (cheaper instruments, far less training required before you can start playing with others)

Really good jazz is just called rock.
Crappy jazz is still called jazz

the only decent response

Funk

Jazz is only dead in terms of commercial viability and cultural relevance (sad how that's all Sup Forums cares about. Artistically speaking jazz is almost as strong now as it's ever been.

>stuffy white suits coming in and imposing rules on what can and can't be defined as jazz.
That's funny because by far the most infamous example of this is Wynton Marsalis and his JLC cohort, who are overwhelmingly black, while Europeans and white Americans have been the major creative force in jazz since 1980. But keep telling yourself that whitey must be the bad guy.

The fact that jazz can be classified as academic music

niggers degenerating from blues/jazz to hip hop and then to rap

Fusion killed jazz

xyz and links are times worse than fusion

Nothing. It ran a natural life course. There's pretty much no where to go after combining with other genres in fusion and complete tonal deconstruction in free jazz. Everything after that is a throwback.

Its very much alive. Sup Forums only cares about commercial music which Jazz isnt.

this

No fusion was the beginning of the end though

Miles Davis.

>Artistically speaking jazz is almost as strong now as it's ever been.

that doesn't seem true. care to unpack this?

People act as though there is no innovation or creativity in modern jazz but it only appears that way because there aren't really identifiable "movements" in jazz the way there have been in the past. Instead, artists are more likely to have a deeply individual sound and style.

Just look at the 1950's for example when literally every alto player (except for maybe Lee Konitz or Paul Desmond) was trying to sound as much as possible like Charlie Parker.

The 60's were the absolute pinnacle of jazz simply just with how much innovation was going on and how many 10/10 records were released, but I think there is much more individual and creative jazz being created now than in the 50's.

People on Sup Forums just don't recognize it because a lot of the good jazz right now is quite complex and for some reason a lot of Sup Forumstants are under the strange delusion that music can't be both complex and emotionally resonant.

I agree with Potato Nigger here, I've heard some throw backs and even some more contemporary albums from the 2010's Jazz is shit now. It's stagnating to survive, the old stuff still holds up nothing new is really honestly that good. It's passable at best

>Invents Cool Jazz (pro)
>Invents Modal Jazz (pro)
>Helps forward Fusion (con)
>Made Bitches Brew (pro)
>Started Careers of many players who had no right to be leaders (multiple cons)
>Stopped making music is in mid 70s (most likely pro)
>Came back in the 80s to make kinda gay 80s jazz (idfk he did invent cool and modal jazz)
>does sort ot jazz hip hop fusion record (jazz rap is good)

I don't know, while he did many good things he also did many bad.

could you rec some contemporary stuff? like, seminal stuff or your favs. i've stayed away from it, i suppose, precisely because there aren't conceptual movements, and i don't know where to dive in.

fuck off

Steve Lehman- Mise en Abime
David Virelles- Mboko
Mary Halvorson- Away With You
John Escreet- Exception to the Rule
Craig Taborn- Chants
David Binney- Cities and Desire

cheers

Free jazz and Afrocentrism

Rock

A shifting emotional climate of the black communities of America shifting from blues and begrudging carrying on of their place in American society to the free-wheeling moods that lead to funk, and the bitter resentment that would grow into harder rap music.

But that's just a guess.

jazz was a victim of the dumbing down of music for wider audiences. in the past, only the wealthy could afford to listen to music as a hobby, so music catered more to their interests.

dumbo

what an absolute shit threat, anyone who says contemporary jaz is shit doesn't listen to jazz at all except for feeling good about themselves

Yeah almost any time someone says some stupid shit like that about modern jazz it always turns out they've listened to like three bad modern jazz albums. Or less.

All Genres, giving enough time will split to two separate paths. Either they get too academic for their own good or they go popish.