Band of Brothers

>Vietnam
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket

>Gulf War 1/2
Jarhead
Generation Kill

That dog is probably dead by now.

I agree, Hurt locker needs to be added too though. Really good.

so much pleb shit

I agree, Tropic Thunder needs to be added too though. Really good.

Just saw this for the first time the other day. Suspenseful af.

I dunno about the best but if you're looking for good movies I recently saw "Paths of Glory" and "Dirty Dozen" both are great fucking movies man.
If you want a series I cannot rec enough the german series "Unsere Mutter, Unser Vater" it's remarkable as it shows the war effort from german perspective but even then is not always the same prism.

>All Quiet on the Western Front
I read book and it fucked me up a little. is movie the same?

Tropic Thunder isn't a war movie.

Dunno but I watched Flags of Our Fathers recently and thought it was utterly mediocre. Is Letters from Iwo Jima any better?

This.

The scene when army dog has to chew off his comrade's jugular to save the platoon always gets me. The dialogue and cinematography is 10/10.

>ctrl+f "empir"
>0 results

Really? No Empire of the Sun?

Add Paths of Glory, Thin Red Line, Hacksaw Ridge

Remove SPR aside from the D-Day scene

I liked Stalingrad a lot. Not the new one.

Is Hacksaw Ridge actually good, or is it just Mel Gibson memery?

Fucking hell don't fall for this meme, this movie is so disturbing, I felt physically sick in that scene where army dog won't let go of that guys face

I think it is. Not raw by any means, it's a bit polished looking but does try to keep to a fair narrative. Japan received it really well for the accuracy and I think it's the better one out of the two.

I liked it a lot

Normal people: Saving Private Ryan
Hipsters: The Thin Red Line
Patricians: Apocalypse Now

If you think Mel Gibson is a meme you're probably not going to love it
It's more passion of the Christ than apocalypto

This. Though to be honest I thought the rape scene went on a little long. I understand what they were trying to do, but still

Melkino is back baby

m.youtube.com/watch?v=51lo2dpaZ_g

It's not perfect, but overall it wins. A true god tier war movie has to be shown from the perspective of the opposition in order to give the audience a full understanding of war (men manipulated into killing other groups of men) not the (((Hollywood))) version of war (Good Goys killing Bad Goys)

Yes it was good. The home scenes established the character well. The bootcamp was the low part of the film but the courtroom scene finishes it off very well. The fighting scenes were brutal as fuck and the scenes of him saving people are extremely tense.
Goddamn I wanted to jump out of my seat and shoot a gook midway through the movie. Mel really pulls on your emotions.

It's not that I think Mel is a meme, it's posts like this

Letters from Iwo Jima is infinitely better in my opinion and i highly recommend it

SPR was only good for the battles. The rest was mediocre-bad (((Spielberg))) garbage.

Just at least add a footnote that it's overrated and it's fine to put it there.

You need to watch both though.

Letters is better but watched together, they're part of a great whole

I think Letters stands on it's own but I agree they are both parts to a single quality experience.

I just assume 4channers cant stand watching 2 films so I'd rather just recommend the better one and let him watch Flags if he really likes Letters.

>ctrl-f Cross of Iron
>0 results

Your post reminds me of a friend who is a film media studies major and doesn't watch foreign flicks because "subtitles are annoying to read." I get they can be distracting but he does not watch them at all, no matter how good the film is.

- Das Boot
- Battle of Britain
- The german Stalingrad
- Die Brücke
- Kelly's Heroes (action flick)
- Dirty Dozen (action flick)
- Paths of Glory
- Flag of our Fathers
- Cross of Iron
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Platoon
- Bridge of Arnhem
- Jackboot Mutiny (little kown, but great)

Fuck Saving Private Ryan

Letters is the one with subtitles

Is Kelley's heroes actually good?

Why don't people like Saving Private Ryan?

It's popular

It has one great scene, in the beginning, and the rest of it is propaganda schlock

Contrarianism. Somehow people find "jewish propaganda" in a film about Americans fighting Germans to save an American soldier.
What I don't like about it is the premise. It's complete nonsense to send those men after one private in the grand scope of the war.

>american soldiers shown murdering surrendered Germans and German soldiers showing human emotions
>the closest thing to "propaganda" was that this small group of soldiers was able to take on German forces, although each time losing more and more of their crew

Did I miss something?

It is a heist movie from the 70's,set in a war theater and enjoying spaghetti western. It is great fun, but not a serious war movie.

All the hollywood shit like nazi skinhead soldiers. Sure, it is no Alexander Newsky, but also no neutral movie.

So because a few of the troops had buzzcuts?
Doesn't every military buzz every new soldier?

The thing is that's not even propaganda.
>beach scene is head to head, result was the same in the movie and real life
>group fights among paratroopers in a town - lose one guy to a sniper
>group fights head to head against an entrenched German squad to take them by surprise - lose one guy to a grenade, capture a German but let him go
>group fights a tracked troop carrier - gets saved by other soldiers with a bazooka
>group fights at the end in a surprise attack with a bunch of other Americans - lose just about everybody and the survivors are saved by American airpower (a factor in real life that allowed America to control the field of battle)
>MC shoots Steamboat Willy - MC felt personally betrayed because he vouched for his innocence originally, but let the other Germans go because they were just soldiers
There is no propaganda

>and the survivors are saved by American airpower (a factor in real life that allowed America to control the field of battle)

They weren't saved by airpower. Tom Hanks ricocheted his .45 bullet down the barrel of the advancing tank and hit the primer of the loaded shell, thereby detonating it.

Rewatch the scene. It is obvious that the tank explodes from the inside.

Lol I know, I've watched both films. It's just the "they can't be bothered" part of your post I was referring to.

Yeah rewatched a couple weeks back and still get surprised by how good it is. Guess I'm used to the usual American Sniper and Lone Survivor shit. God those movies fucking suck compared to jarhead, hurt locker and generation kill.

I forgot about Hanks' blessed silver jacketed uranimum core rounds to better kill the evil vampire Germans, you're right. Too many Thanksgiving beers does that to you.

Hacksaw Ridge needs to be there now

Yes you missed a lot
youtu.be/l4FeyONCtfc

You mean japs, not gooks.

It blows up from the inside because the film crew didn't want to actually drop a bomb on it.

It's fuckin Sup Forums

They cant even sit through a southpark episode without a TLDW

>film analysis
>Youtube

They all look the same to me

>If it's on YouTube then it's not legitimate!
Andrei Rublev is on YouTube you fucking scrub

FULL METAL JACKET

A film student who doesn't watch foreign movies because of subtitles?

I can guarantee this faggot friend of yours will end up a successful hack.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Waterloo(1970)

Stop shilling your channel, pleb

The scenes in between battles were generally shit and the premise of saving some random private behind enemy lines during the biggest invasion of all human history, right after D-Day, is literally retarded

It's also hugely overrated and should just be a good action war movie not GOAT

>German Stalingrad

I thought I was the only one in the world who watched that movie after the 2000s.

>As General Sherman said: "You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it;" and in a different quote “It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell.” The point is this: the movie is told from the American soldiers point of view. This is important because anyone who has been in the military understands that dehumanization of the enemy is not only a natural part of war, but it is a necessity. If a soldier in a live and die situation begins to empathize with the enemy they hesitate placing their life and those around him at risk. If the hesitation is multiplied across many soldiers it places the entire mission at risk. But, it is not a natural thing for people to kill each other. This is especially true if we have no personal knowledge about the person. In order to be successful in war, every military dehumanizes the enemy. So the bottom line is that the film is showing the events as they are perceived by American soldiers through who's eyes the film is being presented. So it is not simply a movie dehumanizing and demonizing Germans. It is the relatively accurate dehumanizing and demonizing of an enemy that naturally occurs in war. Finally, for a soldier to get passed their horrendous acts of killing and rejoin civil society requires coming to some internal peace with it. That is impossible if you begin to empathize with the enemy. So perhaps your criticism is less about the portrayal of dehumanization in a particular movie, and more about the ghastly almost universal dehumanization of the enemy that occurs in war by all sides. Merely showing things from that perspective may simply be an accurate way that a man many years later has had to remember things so that he can deal with it.

>a fucking comment destroys the video

>Early Vietnam - We Were Soldiers
>Late Vietnam - Apocalypse Now
>WWII Europe - Saving Private Ryan
>WWII Pacific - Letters From Iwo Jima
>WWI - All Quiet on the Western Front
>Gulf - Three Kings
>Iraq - The Hurt Locker
>Afganistan - Lone Survivor
>Korean - Taegukgi
>Favourite Non-War yet still somehow considered War film - Blackhawk Down
>Favourite Antiquated War film - The Last Samurai

>There is no such thing as propaganda

IS THAT THE GOY THAT ANALYZED THE (((THING))) REALLY WELL?!?

I REMEMBER HIM

japanese dogs butchered their neighbors for no reason they can rot

>he thinks Saving Private Ryan is propoganda

You want some actual depictions of propoganda turn on Fox, MSNBC, BBC, Russia Today and CNN

They are very different

Japs are like the master race of asians at this point in time and have few white races that are comparable as a group

Talvisota

>no Paths of Glory

The video is more about how the movie leads up to the end where they execute a PoW and it's seen as heroic

They were standard issue US army rounds, but you're right, he definitely did have the blessing of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ with that shot, no other way he could've made it. Spielberg did get that part right.

No. As user rightfully pointed out, this movie is dedicated to authenticity and truth.

tru

>we should embrace and propagandize "dehumanization of the enemy" in our films because we did it for reals in the past!

That comment actually reinforces the critique of the video: Don't just make a film that dehumanizes the antagonists the same way war's evil requires, make a film that explores the evil dehuhumanization war requires so that we may avoid war in the future

I thought gook was the derogatory term for Japs anyway? Gook is chink, is that what you're saying?

Im actually really ok with this

Even as low as I put SPR on my list, it's still arguably the best overall WW2 in Europe movie just because of the battles and attention to detail.

Nice YIFY screenshot

Das Boot

youtube.com/watch?v=5PebMP8s49w

mfw this thread

Sup Forums is pleb city

>For no reason
It was war and yes the war had reasons

Sorry you fell for propaganda

The Japanese didn't decide to hit PH because they were Japs. They did it because everything America and it's string pullers had done prior to PH which led to the Japs being given a choice: Surrender/Capitulate or War.

>HURR, LE EVIL BADMAN LOOKS LIKE A ACTION FIGURE VILLAIN
>HURR, LE GOODMAN IS LITERALLY JESUS AND DIES IN AN ICONIC WAY

Hurr indeed friend, hurr indeed.

Chink is chinaman i think

Gook is vietnamese I think

And of course Jap is Japanese

Don't use those terms unless they truly are acting like a bad version of their stereotype though

For WWI, don't forget the Gibsonkino Gallipoli

>(((Speilberg))) respecting jesus christ
Doubt it

>Lone Survivor
no

Only Afgany film I could remember watching off the top of my head, and it didn't feel right adding Iraq without the other.

shitposting? what yall know about shitposting?

never mind I didn't actually know any movie in afghanistan and this is a good one. Sorry.

That's right

If were going documentary then maybe Restrepo, but Lone Survivor is a solid Afghanistan film

Executing the POW wasn't portrayed as heroic at all.