>She cracked, I'm hurt, you're right

green day

easy, the sex pistols or clash

The Stooges
New York Dolls
Richard Hell & The Voidoids

Then the Brits stole it (see OP)

Then the Yanks stole it back

Now it's all Soy Boy/SJW garbage or maybe, just maybe some decent stuff coming out of the Copenhagen Scene.

Serious question? Arguably Ramones. The others you can bring up the question of it being punk or proto-punk all the way back to The Who or arguably Link Wray. Ramones are pretty clearly the first ones I've seen where there was no distinction of punk or proto-punk. Though I've seen comments on them being pop punk.

Please report to Sup Forumssic 101 for remedial training.

Meh Iggy Pop in a sense, but punk formed out of counterculture attitudes that took root as early as the 50's. I'm sure there were hundreds of punk bands before even 1970, they probably didnt make it out of their garages though

These guys

In before some one posts those black guys

bad brains?

That's a good ass album tho.

IT WAS THE KILLERS
REEEEE

the velvet underground

Punk rock, not pop punk.

The Smiths ;)

Objectively. Just look at any timeline. The Stooges were writing songs harder and faster, and putting on wilder performances than anyone at the time. Raw Power is the first punk album. It has all the characteristics of a punk album down to a T. Plus look at any band during the first wave of punk, all of them cite the Stooges as an influence.

Death

lol no

Yeah but it ain't punk

Elvis Costello bayyyybeeeee

Fuck off with that shit nigger. The Ramones were and are punk. They were the first band to be called punk. Learn your music history.

/thread
youtube.com/watch?v=6YMeZSxNWV8

>They were the first band to be called punk. Learn your music history.

Bowie

Americans.
They invented Rock and Roll.

this

some bands had the sound early on
some bands had the attitude/aesthetic/whatever early on

but The Stooges were the first true punk band

didn't suicide label their own music "punk music" in like 1970 tho

they were writing songs like "Heroin" at the time where other acts were still writing shit like "I Got You Babe"

The media. Rock critics and the such.

I don't know if they INVENTED it (same way Fats Domino arguably didn't invent rock) but arguably the first major commercial punk act was the Ramones

>they were writing songs that aren't punk at the time where other acts were still writing shit like "I Got You Babe"

? & The Mysterians were the first band to be called punk rock, I believe, and their hit song, 96 Tears, has a punky theme (it was originally called 69 Tears, but radio stations wouldn't play it because of vulgarity).

The Stooges are the first band that truly resembles punk rock IMO, but it's worth noting that they were just one part of the broader Detroit scene that was all about pushing garage rock into more visceral, extreme, and experimental territory, along with the MC5, Alice Cooper, Death, and The Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent's original band).

IMO punk really started in 1974, which was the year that bands started playing at CBGB's, and the year a lot of classic punk bands formed. Suicide and the New York Dolls had set the stage for the scene by stripping the pretensions of the Warholian New York art rock bands like The Velvet Underground and The Fugs, but they really predated it. IMO, the first punk demo was probably The Neon Boys', who would change their name to Television that year. The first punk single was Patti Smith's version of "Hey Joe." The first punk LP was The Dictators' "Go Girl Crazy."

Richard Hell invented the look, which Malcolm McLaren openly admits to lifting and selling at his SEX shop in London. The Ramones of course came up with the clearest blueprint for the punk sound, but the New York Dolls/Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, Rocket from the Tombs/Dead Boys, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, again The Stooges, and certain British pub rock groups like Eddie & The Hot Rods, all deserve some credit for shaping the punk sound. The influence of The Damned is probably also underestimated.

Los Saicos predates them

youtube.com/watch?v=pJjfGWrTSU8
youtube.com/watch?v=haVaaDLwWvI

>Now it's all Soy Boy/SJW garbage or maybe, just maybe some decent stuff coming out of the Copenhagen Scene.
Literally the only major band to come out of that is Iceage.

You don't know much about punk, clearly.
youtube.com/watch?v=oG_TzYDYgBM
youtube.com/watch?v=Bi16l0xC9Xs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ4knZm2nYY
youtube.com/watch?v=v0dUnoecoZ0

They were literally just one Peruvian garage rock band. The fact people keep pushing how they were the first punk band is fucking ridiculous. Good band, but go listen to Nuggets for fuck's sake

the monkees

youtube.com/watch?v=U0uSGsB59ko

Iggy Pop

The objectively and undeniably correct answer is Death, and if you think anything else you're ignorant or retarded

The Pink Fairies, obviously.

well if you're just be all measured and well-considered about it what's the fucking point, you goddamn spoilsport

It was invented in waves, from different sides, like a meme evolving nonlinearly in an environment, grabbing little components that clarified and strengthened its fidelity.

There was 'rock n roll', and then inevitably certain people who held onto a certain raw, basics ideal of what this was + a compatible ethos around its 'rebelliousness'.

I think of this, like, in the ecology of creative ideas, the genes are all there, and this was like a little latent kernel that was obviously going to have its carriers.

So, then in the 60s you had garage rock bands who had a take on rock n roll that was sometimes kind of compatible with this latent meme. Most strongly and purely obv The Stooges, MC5, The Monks, etc.

At the same time you have an intellectual critic culture in many ways informed by Marxism, so an idea of a simple, seemingly 'social realist', rebellious, 'peoples' music' was appealing, and that kind of musical ethos started gradually spreading itself among critics in the 60s going into the 70s. At the same time, just as the emerging, inevitable 'heavy metal' sound was almost inevitably going to find the title 'heavy metal', at some point some critic threw the fitting word 'punk' out to describe this kind of snotty, rowdy rock n roll sound, and the name started to find its way to bands with this sensibility.

After this, in the 70s, it was just a matter of time dialectically that a lot of art and underground people were going to come around to a model that was as far from the dominant prog take on art music as possible. And also, of course, 'rock n roll' purists like New York Dolls and The Ramones. So you get the CBGBs scene.

At this point, the whole formula - the sound, ethos, and name - is all there to formalize and brand - which Malcom McLaren did as kind of a artistic-rhetorical-commercial strategy / gimmick, which begat English punk.

So, again, I'd say the punk meme kind of evolved at all these levels.

stop being fucking smart on Sup Forums

very well said

Green Day.

Crass invented punk, the killed it.

oh hey, it's the one objectively wrong answer in this thread. Death didn't even form until after all the bands mentioned in this thread had already released their shit (Raw Power came out the year they finally got their band together to play FUNK music) and even after they started playing harder shit (proto-punk) all the bands that had already been publicly called punk bands started playing. There was never a time where Death was to come first with the sound, and there was never a time where Death was first to be called punk

Malcolm McLaren

Obviously no, but I do think Penny Rimbaud did something very insightful and valuable, which is that he recognized and distilled the valuable aspects of the punk movement. He understood the significance of DIY, grassroots, challenging art and music, simultaneously reframing punk as part of both the transgressive and political art lineage, as well as the labor union-oriented folk tradition of people like Joe Hill and Woody Guthrie. By making the core of punk so clear and simple, he must've had a huge impact on political punk, far beyond just the anarcho-punk/crust punk/d-beat lineage.

the painted Ship from Vancouver

youtube.com/watch?v=wLU8lfy0slw

>soy boy
Opinion discarded

Honest question:

What exactly makes The Stooges a punk band and Motorhead a metal band? They're incredibly similar music.

Post-hoc observations, and culture.

The Stooges were massively influential to the whole punk attitude, but they did influence the more nihilistic frontmen in metal. I feel like Mayhem were definitely paying attention.

Motörhead was very involved with the punk scene, and were close with everyone from The Adverts to The Damned, to Sid Vicious to the Ramones. But Lemmy was also a biker, and biker culture heavily impacted him.

Also, a lot of punk still sounds like Stooges-y garage rock, just look at the first Damned album.

Motörhead had a massive influence on punk, especially bands like Amebix, Discharge, Cro-Mags, and GBH. But their influence was even more massive in the metal - Lemmy's gruff voice unintentionally pretty much started the extreme metal vocal style used in death and black metal. Without them, thrash would've been unthinkable.

youtube.com/watch?v=haVaaDLwWvI
youtube.com/watch?v=87evyHNl4bU
thread/

The Stooges is actually a fair answer desu senpai.

youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-5PEBhi2c
youtube.com/watch?v=hVWAE6n_G4Q

>go listen to Nuggets for fuck's sake
This all I could find.
youtube.com/watch?v=UrMjbAHUuLo
Anything else? Certainly interesting. I also couldn't seem to find anything about the band.

What about the monks? I've heard black monk time is considered an important proto-punk record?

I meant this: youtube.com/watch?v=D3AvEiKB5k4

Thanks

daily reminder that punk is fucking garbage and the only good thing that came out of it was post-punk

Pleb answer: Ramones
Pleb who thinks they have taste answer: Velvet Underground and Stooges
Actual Answer: Suicide and LRD

>Ramones

"Skrillex invented dubstep"

It organically evolved over time with culture, in separate countries on separate continents. It wasn't just one band, especially not your favorite band.

lrd was hardly influential considering nobody even knew who the fuck they were

The problem is that the guy you're talking to assumes he's the patrician, when in reality he's the contrarian edgelord

i'm just calling him out on his bullshit user

forgot to mention that suicide didn't even release an album until after the sex pistols had formed

He's actually right about Suicide, though. They may not have released an album until '77, but they formed in '71, and all the New York bands knew who they were. They were contemporaries of the New York Dolls, and at the very least they inspired all the no wave bands.

all the bands who knew them and were active at the same time already had their own distinctive sounds, plus they were proto-punk bands themselves so suicide wasn't really contributing much

neu!

I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. All the no wave bands give them lip service as being a massive influence. There are plenty of interviews of people like Glenn Branca talking about how important they were. Those other bands didn't have their distinctive sounds yet because they didn't exist yet - most of those bands didn't form until years after Suicide.

Nobody "invented" it, the sound evolved. I'd say the first bands who really nailed the sound we would associate with punk are Death, Devo (listen to the Hardcore Devo comps) and the New York Dolls

i never said they didn't influence no wave

Here's a quick reading/viewing list:

American Hardcore (film and book)
There Is No Authority But Yourself (Crass documentary)
The Day the Country Died (book and film, both about anarcho-punk)
Trapped in a Scene (book about British hardcore/grindcore/crust)
Punk: Attitude (documentary very focused on the mid 70s New York scene)
The Punk Years (British mini-series)
The Velvets to the Voidoids (book about proto-punk)
Rip It Up and Start Again (post-punk book)
No Wave (table book)
I Dreamed I Was A Very Clean Tramp (Richard Hell Autobiography)
Amebix Risen (documentary)
Decline of Western Civilization Parts 1 & 3 (about LA Punk and 90s street punk)
Los Punks: We Are All We Have (doc about the East LA Backyard punk scene)
Please Kill Me (massive interview book about punk's first wave)
Our Band Could Be Your Life (book on early alternative rock)
Punk the Capital (doc about DC Hardcore)
Dance of Days (book about DC hardcore)
End of the Century (Ramones doc)
Bad Brains: Band in DC (Bad Brains doc)
Under the Influence: New York Hardcore (mini-doc on NYHC by Vice/Noisey)
Kill Your Idols (no wave doc, kinda shitty but it's the only one really on the subject)

this

First post punk band?

Pere Ubu, Warsaw, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Wire, Mars, Devo, Swell Maps