What Sup Forums thinks of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain?

what Sup Forums thinks of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c3arwHaziWI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My favorite part is at the end when they cut away from Jodo and the group to show the camera crew, meta as fuck.

drop two tabs of acid and you'll understand

was the rest of the movie pointless? i mean, with "reality awaits us" he meant "i made you waste 2 hours of your life"?
there must be another way

>there must be another way
theres not

An literal autistic made a film

why? it supossed to be metaphisical

I enjoyed it for the thick visual imagery but not so much the message. It's the kind of film I dearly hope nobody actually takes too seriously.

>The frogs dressed like spaniards invading the lizards dressed like maya
>mfw this made the most sense out of anything in the movie

Is this based on the Thomas Mann book?

Its visual extravaganza which is fun to interpret.

Its among my top ten favorite films. Recreating the conquest of the Americas with frogs? Why the hell not.

Never saw it.

why? what message has for you?

b-bump!

If he got to make Dune do you think it would have surpassed Alien or blade runner?

Dr.Strange>Holy Mountain

I've heard that Jodorowsky's next project is a movie about Marv El

You mean Mann's The Magic Mountain?

Nah.

Shit hippie movie, definite pretentious flick, I couldn't finish it how awful it was.

Yeah, well, after all, capeshit is more your thing. That's okay though, user. Don't worry about it.

This. It felt like bluepill tryhard r&ddit propaganda

I loved. It's my favourite film.

I haven't seen a single capeshit in this century, faggot, project little bit harder. You artfags are worse than capefags.

Kill yourself, retard

haven't seen it, but El Topo is great

one of my favorite opening scenes in any movie.

I'm ambivalent to The Holy Mountain but if you hate it yet love something like Enter the Void you're the biggest faggot in existence.

>DUDE SYMMETRY LMAO
epic cinematography
i love every frame a painting btw

What the last film you've watch, bud?

This, it's trash that panders to le edgy le as le fuck le teens

Very good visuals.
This is the thing about the story. It didn't really matter for me.

On another note Jodrowsky in general has some strange fetish for balls or cutting balls off/infertility. It is in literally all of his works.

Metabaron/incal/the medieval one

Have you seen the guy talk? He clearly had a disorder.

He would have spent the whole budget within a week.

Pretentious fucking trash like the rest of his output.

>trash

If you're going to post, why say something stupid like that.

Needed more boobies.

>there must be another way

Turn on the director commentary.

i watched it with a friend while on acid. One of the strangest experiences of my life. I haven't watched it since.

I love it. I want to see more of his movies; I've only seen this and El Topo so far. Nothing else quite like it.

Loved that part.

It's an entertaining and visually striking movie, even if the story is paper-thin. It must be understood as being "camp", however, which entails enjoying it with some irony. The visuals, however, do not require any irony to enjoy. This guy gets it.

We are all familiar with the visual image of the secretive, circular "board room" where powerful people meet. The Seele monoliths of Eva, for example. This was done famously in Dr. Strangelove, but Jodorowsky provides his own variation on the theme, where the cast almost seem to be conducting a seance. Some of you have probably seen pic related before, and certain conspiracy theories maintain that the people at the very top comprise a group of nine, or perhaps ten. I think that this trope can be traced at least in part to the visual language that Jodorowsky uses. There are stills from the film which are almost exactly the same thing as pic related.

However, this FP is a poor post, an exception which proves the general rule of FPBP. The ending is extremely lazy and stupid. It's "it was all just a dream!"-tier.

compare pic related.

...and the SEELE monoliths of Eva. Commonly, a group of several (perhaps 7-12) monoliths are gathered together in an actual room, somewhere, in a circular fashion, for regular, sinister teleconferences. The participants do not actually broadcast video of themselves (though of course presumably they could), but do broadcast audio. This visual presentation of the same trope heightens the mystery and sinister character of the trope by 1) clearly having an expensive, disembodied board room set aside some place, yet rarely actually inhabited by humans (unless someone is being interrogated in the middle of the circle, perhaps), yet 2) the whole thing amounts to a group voice chat.

The Dr. Strangelove variant (the most lavish version), which of course precedes Holy Mountain's version. However, this variant involves an unwieldy number of participants; the "~7-12" variant seems to have its earliest modern representation in Holy Mountain.

Funniest ending in cinematic history.

when he's not filming people taking a shit.

>Have you seen the guy talk? He clearly had a disorder.

is being Argentinian a disorder?

his problem is that he saw a Ubanda ritual as a teenager and he now believes that Shaman is the highest calling a man can aspire to.

i once watched Betty Boop in Crazytown with a friend, on acid. One of the strangest experiences of my life. I haven't watched it since.

>but not so much the message.
That the world is not only magical, but your oyster. That esoteric knowledge means fuck all against going out and living life?

The very graphic shot of the dude shitting sums up my thoughts.

Complete and utter hack.

La Danza de la Realidad is great, liked it a lot more than El Topo.

A minor scene, but I think it's in the Neptune segment, I love when the protesters are getting gunned down and it's completely comedic and over the top. It's been a long time since I saw the movie, but I remember some weird/funny stuff happening with the blood and bodies.
Over all it's pretty decent satire on all kinds of aspects of Western culture/society I'd say. Obtuse, but it looks nice.

What are you talking about? Jodo is eccentric and more than a bit up his own ass but that's normal for an "artist".

Why? How big of a faggot am I if I love The Holy Mountain and like Enter the Void?

You're a nice guy, actually. Both are great experiences

checked

Eccentric is a kind word for crazy

The toads vs frogs "battle of tenochtitlan" is one of the best scenes Ive ever seen.

Dont remember anything else.

Absolute garbage

This is one of the best parts of the movie. The ridiculous, over-the-top camp of the protestors being disemboweled is put together with a genuinely surreal, and typically Latin touch: the innards are represented by food coloring, candies, and other food products.

The homoerotic fascist worship of Axon, chief of police is complete with leather/BDSM overtones, and ridiculous anime-tier costumes. However, there is an amusing problem with the dialogue.

Axon is flanked by what are suppposed to be a thousand castrati, his soldiers, acolytes (and presumptive slaves/fuccbois if we read in the gay side of things). He has just castrated his thousandth, is about to put the young man's balls in a jar on a shelf next to lots of others, and explains to this neophyte (in the english dub) that "your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of one thousand testicles."

Catch it?

If Axon has castrated a thousand young men, then he should certainly have WELL OVER one thousand testicles, in any event. He should instead have TWO THOUSAND testicles, or something very close to that number (the odd cancer patient?)

Eh, whatever, the guy is entertaining as fuck and I like his movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=c3arwHaziWI

He had two sanctuaries of 500 testicles already.

One of the funniest movies I've seen. I guess those who hated it don't get the humor

DUDE

RANDOM LOL

Definitely a tryhard talentless garbage flick, baby's first "I can art now xD"

Not nearly as good as Dio's Holy Diver.

420/10

grimes makes my brain smile tho