Why is trap still this big?

I don't understand the appeal of most of it at all. There are maybe four albums/mixtapes in the entire genre that I feel like did anything interesting with the sound, and the rest is boring duplicate shit to appeal to normies afraid of change and listen to it for, "diversity." It's like if you took memphis rap, removed the horror aspect, dulled down the rappers, removed the pitch shifting, stopped taking samples from broad and original places, and glossed up the production beyond belief, and now you've got trap rap. How much longer until this fad fades out? Even ringtone rap was better than this because it was laughable. People take trap incredibly fucking seriously and any criticism fans hear causes backlash immediately, with their only excuse for this music, with dull, repetitive instrumentals that sound just like the last guy, unoriginal delivery, shit lyics, and bland image (which is bizarre considering image is usually what normies like the most) is that it's FUN, is it really a good genre worthy of survival for the rest of the decade? Why isn't fun music allowed to be original or good by their definition? Can someone please prove me wrong?

pic kind of related; only trap rapper that I can say I thoroughly enjoy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-OmIwboJ6k8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it will be all but dead this time next year. screencap this.

>boring duplicate shit to appeal to normies afraid of change and listen to it for, "diversity."

Well there's your answer. Same reason people listen to EDM, it's "fun" and simple to listen to in groups of people.

trap appeals to people with brain damage and it is currently in fashion to have brain damage

>2010
>wtf is this shit?
>2011
>its a fad bro. trap music wont be here in a year
>2012
>see, it's starting to die out already
>2013
>why are my favorite rappers hopping on this trend?
>2014
>just wait bro it will die soon
>2015
>okay what the fuck is going on?
>2016
>emo, punk, metal, and goth offshoots? wtf
>2017
>just wait bro it will die give it a few years

Trap is the only relevant genre right now. Nobody would know who (or even care about) open mike eagle if it wasn't for Fantano (who's just NOW starting to come around to trap music). Trap is here to stay. No one cares about Phil Elverum singing about his dead wife, it's not the 90s. If you're still of the mindset that conscious rappers are better than trap rappers because they "say something important" or "actually try to articulate their lyrics" then you're irrelevant. Musicians like Lil Pump, Young Thug, Ski Mask The Pump God, and Lil Peep etc.. are infinitely more innovative and creative than Open Mike Eagle, Milo, Kendrick Lamar, Busdriver, Uncommon Nasa, Brockhampton, Vince Staples etc... They are doing nothing new compared to Chief Keef, Bones, Famous Dex, Ghostemane, Smokepurpp, Lil Xan and other soundcloud rappers.

Trap is here to stay for the next half century. Adapt or die.

this is true, not really a prophetic statement or anything though

>next half century
I mean...it's popular but reaaaallllyyyy?

>Trap is the only relevant genre right now. Nobody would know who (or even care about) open mike eagle if it wasn't for Fantano (who's just NOW starting to come around to trap music). Trap is here to stay. No one cares about Phil Elverum singing about his dead wife, it's not the 90s. If you're still of the mindset that conscious rappers are better than trap rappers because they "say something important" or "actually try to articulate their lyrics" then you're irrelevant. Musicians like Lil Pump, Young Thug, Ski Mask The Pump God, and Lil Peep etc.. are infinitely more innovative and creative than Open Mike Eagle, Milo, Kendrick Lamar, Busdriver, Uncommon Nasa, Brockhampton, Vince Staples etc... They are doing nothing new compared to Chief Keef, Bones, Famous Dex, Ghostemane, Smokepurpp, Lil Xan and other soundcloud rappers. Trap is here to stay for the next half century. Adapt or die.

grazi for the pasta, I was very hungry

Trap is already seeping into pop as it is, it’s definitely not going away anytime soon

Nows when trap will die. The oversaturation.

"Mans Not Hot" is the weird al of rap right now. Once you get shit like that doin them joke covers its over.

Trap is on its way out and is being replaced with this emo/rap hybrid shit. You decide whether that's better or worse.

its simple, easy, fun, and you don't have to think hard about it.

Trap is a producers genre, give credit where it's due

Also ronny j deserves a lot more recognition for basically making the South Florida sound

>mfw all the producers behind the biggest hits are usually white

>Lex Luger
>Mike Will Made It
>Metro Boomin
>white

Sorry you don't like it I guess? At least its better than more dj premier/dollar rip off boom crap beats

Trap truly is fucked. It consists of the same flow constantly and everyone ripping eachother off and talking bout xans. They either need someone to change up the game quite drastically or it needs to die. The thing I find crazy is how many 16 year olds take it like its a serious genre and lifestyle. Tons of little fuckers wearing true religion jeans, getting grills and sporting stupid lil yachty-esque haircuts. Fucking goofy. They all try to be hard too but they're all a bunch of pussies.

wait until you guys hear what I got coming out this month

Things i would like to die but seem to not go away even though at this point they are stale, formulaic, and played out

1. trap
2. comic book movies
3. EDM
4. reality tv

Things i want to replace them

1. Lo fi hip hop
2. art house films and new wave of independent movies
3. IDM
4. Very well written scripted dramas and comedy

>lo if
reddit

I dont know man. I think it would be a proper reaction if a new rap scene that was the complete oppiste of trap music. No tattoos, no outrageous image, relaxing dreamy instrumentals. Turn down music instead of turn up music.

Anything that would finally kill this horrible age and zeitgeist of shitty trap, edm, and poptamism i am for.

nigga wait til you hear who died and made the answer to your prayers nigga

>EDM
>a "thing"

>IDM

tip top kek

>lo-FI hiphop
Name one genre more repetitive, half assed and boring

Pro tip: you can't

If you haven't taken the youngthugpill yet, you're really missing out.

All the argist you listed are birthed because of the producer. I hope more producers get credit like metro to get their named billed on an album release next to a rapper.

Artist*

see

>lo-fi
Literally the most reddit thing to come out in the past couple years.
Everything soudns the same, downtempo'd sample chopping.
That's literally it how is this an engaging or interesting """"genre""""

Intellectual backlash + white insecurity. That's it.
Racist white and Jewish journalists in publications like p4k and elsewhere are still obsessed with "authenticity" and in their minds nothing is more authentic than the most braindead low-effort jiggaboo shit possible. These are 5'9" men with receding hairlines and ironyleft twitter accounts who cross the street to avoid talking to homeless people, so they live vicariously through savage negroid shit and front it as much as possible to inflate their public perception as unpretentious and down to earth despite being literal colonizers. It's stage four Christgau Disease.

There is plenty of intelligent and forward-thinking black music being made atm but it threatens the racist perceptions of Jewish media (as well as their bottom line) so you're barraged with dreadlocked mumble shit instead.

how much u wanna bet this guy looks like the description he just gave

couple hundo

How much you want to bet you type like a normal person elsewhere but your posting style is deliberately affected ITT because you're a larping college faggot who doesn't even recognize his own racism.

how much you wanna better buying caffeine pills, grinding them and making a paste that you wash your hair with every other day or two days will help your receding hairline, Adam?

most trap music is less aggressive than 2000's hiphop, it's also become less important whether you're 'real' or not, rappers aren't talking about shooting eachother in diss tracks anymore, a lot of popular trap music is really sterilized and low energy, so I disagree with this notion that trap has to thank it's popularity in the rawness or "savageness".

Tf am I reading

thanks for the lecture mr cosby

I never mentioned rawness or aggression once. For white journos trap music is big toothed Mr. Bonjagles shit. They assume it's real because it's stupid.

Thanks for tip Brandon.

I'm 5'8, my hairline hasn't receeded and I'm not exactly ironyleft but wow dude you basically described me. I used to listen only to rock music but for the past year or so I have found myself listening mostly to Trap music and especially drill music as a form of escapism because the gang driven violent attitude supported by huge sounding trap beats inflates my male ego and make me feel like I'm more than just a recent college grad neet living off his parents money. I'm not even mad man, bravo

how much you wanna bet u still describing yourself

An exciting career awaits you in journalism

This. Trap makes you feel cooler/happier.

Picture as an example, you WILL smile or bang your head a little.

Na fuck x first of all and second of all that shit's weak pop shit, not even trap. Just a bunch of throwaway meme rappers thrown on top of some throwaway "heavy" edm basically. What really gets the juices flowing is some chief keef, credo Santana, sd, walks flocks flame, or underground drill artists that actually still rep gangs and call out other gang members

It's inexplicably the smal underground gang affiliated shit that actually has unique flows, or at least interesting ones, and beats that actually remind you of the feeling of dread you get when you're afraid you could get shot at any moment, which is really the "gritty" feeling behind the best trap music

>walks flocks flame

But that’s a parody of grime you massive fucking retard

So you only abide to trap as being about actually "trapping"? Honestly to me the beat and "mood" is what makes it. What they're actually about isn't really important.
I like Keef too, the rest of glo gang was always weak to me. Keef lives in Cali now, I don't know if he's the same Chief Keef from say 2011-13.

XXXTentacion grows on you, I used to hate him too but then I downloaded some of his stuff.

But if I could give drill or mumble SoundCloud trap credit it is "sincere" in that it's entirely indie. These kids come from nothing but with a laptop with fruity loops and a microphone they can be an international superstar. It's a legitimate creative outlet for many people that would have some. Yeah the subject material is problematic, but it's not like the shit wasn't happening before. Look at GBE rappers; these people don't have to sell out to any marketing minded corporate executives to get their music heard or made

None*It's not about trapping but somehow the ones that talk about real trapping sound better to me idk. I used to like x but I grew out of him desu, it just feels too childish and that new album he put out is wickity wack

I watched a smokepurpp interview and he talked about how when he first started making music with lil pump it was just silly throwaway shit he did for fun with no intention of getting famous, but it did, and that's love right there. Making music just for the pure joy of it, what's to hate? He even mixed it with apple headphones like agh that's so pure

New album is definitely a flip. I'm pretty neutral to it, has like 3 good songs.
I don't know what you mean by childish though, he raps about the same stuff everyone else does.

>(in squeaky voice) George W Bush right on her pussy yah
I rest my case

Ok I'll give you that

>elite liberal whites want to understand and appreciate youth and black culture, but thats not the correct kind of black culture and therefore they are literal colonizers

ya, i willing to fucking bet that the jews and journos you're bitching about (and their readers) are the first in line for the Wiley exhibit at MoMA, the ones writing the think pieces about Get Out, the ones engaging in communal struggle sessions reading Baldwin and Dubois for their book club. woke artists are getting covered and spread more than ever before. but until young black men are more interested in the likes of dangelo, and noname, and jlin, and solange than soundcloud trap boys, trap's gonna get covered and examined. because that's what happens to be vital to the community.

white people have loved black music (jazz, blues, rock n roll, soul, hip hop) since they've been pressing records, so lets not pretend this trap craze is because whites want to slum in some fantasy about "savage negroid shit". gimmie a break.

nah it's more uk rap/drill than grime desu

IDM is kinda a dumb genre name rejected by most of those who were labelled it

strong co-sign

can honestly say trap rap and memphis rap offer the same amount of actually interesting artists the rest is just copycat bullshit

I'm a big fan of rap and i just like dope beats and rhymes... i also like classical music though

Denzel, Travis, Thugger and somewhat Chief Keef are the only interesting ones, while Lex Luger, Metro Boomin and Ronnie J are the best producers. Swae Lee, Future, 2 Chainz and Migos are fine I guess, the rest is all shitty one hit wonders that will be forgotten in 2 months

don't sleep on sweet baby dram

Erykah Badu, Ray Charles, Mike Dean, Charlie Heat and Young Thug on the same project? Might give it a listen

true of pretty much everything

trap music is big and is not going to die

Phil Elverum's wife died?

trap is actually more "woke" than conscious rap for a lot of reasons. you can't live off of hope and change. obama promised it and we saw what happened. you live off of selling crack and pimping and hustling when you have nothing else. trap is a truthful reflection of our society, in all its positives and negatives of extreme risk and extreme wealth. there is nothing to read into--music has roots. trap music is as natural and tragic and necessary as blues was.

100% this
Blues wasn't about showing off your lyrical miracle skills either, it was about expressing how you felt

She died a lot

>I'm gonna sell drugs to my community because I want fancy clothes and cars to get girls and show off
No these are imaginary problems

they are self-created problems, but they are also resolvable problems. the fact that in a place like atlanta or chicago people can die more than in actual warzones without any police interference is unique, just like the music that is a reflection and manifestation of life in these types of areas.

i'm mostly agreeing with you, it takes a community of caring people to fix it, not the government. but where you're from matters a lot in determining who you are, and who these people are is an interesting thing in the course of american history.

You want the whole of EDM to die so that it can be replaced by IDM. Were you trying not to be specific, or are you just that fucking stupid. I'm assuming you mean you want to see shitty, boring EDM like big room and half-assed, top 40 deep house die, but that's not EDM as a whole, for fucks' sake.

Some people actually do care. This is about her death, and is one of the best albums of the year

Yeah this is a troll post but he's right about the mount eerie thing

nerds lol

lol white people

>art house films and new wave of independent movies
Why would you want arthouse movies to be as oversaturated and played out like comic book movies. Fucking poser the aspect that make good arthouse movies so enjoyable is that theres not a lot of them and they're not so well-known so its not made for money.

Also define "Very well written scripted dramas and comedy", which again are so enjoyable because they're not as prevalent

Thing about trap music is that the beats are better than their predecessors but not lyrically so when someone comes on being lyrical over it, it becomes great

>famous dex and asap rocky - pick it up
>asap ferg - plain jane
>asap ferg - mattress
>Travis scott and Kendrick lamar - goosebumps

you deserved every time you were pushed into a locker.

that new bass they made sounds good as hell in a car or at a show.

just so you kids know, that new style of bass they use wasnt around in the early 00's

>New crushing sub bass sounds
>Trippy ass fucking beats
>Genre has evolved from its beginnings into offshoots that are as heavy as metal (XXXTentacion, Ski Mask)
>Songs like SDP Interlude by Travis Scott transcendent as fuck

Its a genre that is creating new sounds and innovative ideas. It is easily the most futuristic genre out there right now

LOL

smokesomedrinksomepopsome... smokesomedrinksomepopsome... SMOKEDRINKSOMEPOPSOME SMOKEDRINKSOMEPOPSOME

Guwop, Kodak, Dave East, Dolph, 21, Ferg, Freddie Gibbs...

You mean 808s?

ya except theyre distorted now and pleasing as fuck

all hacks

Not him but Lil Uzi, XXXTentacion, 21 Savage, and Kodak are genuinely good.
I think Post Malone is growing on me slowly.

the whole hip-hop genre is a producers genre

>lofi hip hop
>idm
meme shit only autists like

Lil Uzi sounds like discount Travis Scott apart from LUV 1.5 where he was at his most original
XXXTentacion is like a worse Denzel Curry/Ski Mask
21 is hit or miss, I actually like Without Warning
Kodak meh, I can't really get into him at all, his flow is cool but i don't like the production
Post i dunno, i like his singles but not his album as a whole

Do you feel Iike this is one of the game changing interesting tapes

In my op Without Warning is the good version of this, 21 can't carry an album alone

>Travis Scott
Honestly I haven't heard too much Travis Scott but from what I have Uzi is more nasally and higher pitched.
Same with Denzel and X, haven't heard too much from Denzel but he seems more lyrical and less screamy. X and Ski Mask came up together but Ski's flow just isn't to my liking.
Strangely production in Kodak is a compliment, most people hate his voice.

No, it only shows how good a producer Metro is

but when No Advance came on for the first time....so brutal

why you forget the originator of this :'(

I didn't want to make a thread to ask about this. I gave Lil Peep a try because I read it has bits of metal and gothic, and lots of hardcore-like screams and stuff. I've heard Come Over When You're Sober and Hellboy and I didn't really find that.
Where do you think people like Fantano found that shit? Or is it just a meme that spread and nobody even actually listened to the fucker.

Well Waka is a given, and I named Lex Luger after all

It's really strange, I only remember like 2 Waka song and that's Hard in the Paint and No Hands
I would label it "emo"
I've never really listened to goth, screamo, or metal too much so maybe I'm not qualified to say.

Where does X scream? Link please because I might give him a second chance
He sounds to me like a worse Denzel because of tracks like this youtube.com/watch?v=-OmIwboJ6k8 that are more polished than something like Look At Me while retaining the level of aggression

Were Thug's zany half-cute tracks considered trap? If so he takes the cake as the best, most timeless, studied 100 years from now thing that trap produced

youtube.com/watch?v=74ikiWsnNEE
youtube.com/watch?v=f5E-wIE3r9E
youtube.com/watch?v=C6iQAEL7fHA
youtube.com/watch?v=4ehQCUiIaSk
youtube.com/watch?v=ge9queJSNSE
youtube.com/watch?v=58pNhme-0sY