Video Game Movie News (Spoilers)

>Assassin's Creed
Fox know they have a stinker on their hands and are trying to bury the film. The test screenings have deemed it too confusing and oddly paced, so don't expect much from this one.

>Final Fantasy
Suits in Hollywood were looking towards this property for potential adaptations, given the hype around FFXV. Conan's recent segment on the game has more or less completely reversed that - it's been doing the email and IM rounds as people can't believe Final Fantasy is that weird and bizarre. Any future film or TV projects will have to be funded by Japanese company Square Enix, as they have been in the past.

>The Division
Jake Gylenhaal is satisfied with the script and the film will shoot next year. It uses the setting of the game as a springboard for an original story.

>Warcraft 2
Not much progression, although a WC3 adaptation over a Tides of Darkness adaptation is looking more and more likely if the movie does happen. A pure-CGI sequel, like The Smurfs 3, is also being discussed.

>Gears of War
Will be based on the new 'rebooted' universe of Gears of War 4, rather than the Locust invasion of the original trilogy and Emergence Day - this is to better tie in to future video games.

>The Last of Us
Isn't happening - nobody can agree on the correct approach or script. Naughty Dog more or less want full creative control which won't happen. Uncharted is in a similar situation.

>Sly Cooper
Canned. Due to Ratchet and Clank's terrible performance.

>Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
All reports point to a 'fitting end' for the series - take from that what you will. Post-credits teaser sets up an RE7: Biohazard adaptation.

>Silent Hill
Discussions are still happening to reboot the property with the PT storyline of a looping house and ghosts.

where ya sources at, chump?

I work for a branding company that works with every studio, finding ways to tie products in. People know I love vidya, so this is just collating everything I've heard in the last month.

Thank god Uncharted and The Last of Us isnt happening Sony would only fuck it up

>Assassin's Creed tracking to be shit
Unsurprising but disappointing all the same.

>The Division being an original story
At long last, people are realizing that you can't make a good movie out of a video game story and are moving towards just using the universes instead. An exception can probably be made for Point-N-Click games but yeah.

>TLoU, Sly Cooper, and Uncharted fucking canned
The Lord is merciful.

>Post-credits teaser sets up an RE7: Biohazard adaptation.
what the hell

The Final Chapter doesn't mean the end of these terrible movies, just the end of installments starring Mila Jocovich

His dad's best friend works as a lawyer for one of the big studios.

>Assassin's Creed
It's going to be 10/10

>hype around FFXV

seems legit

>The test screenings have deemed it too confusing and oddly paced, so don't expect much from this one.

Wasn't everyone and their retarded blind grandma calling Inception confusing? Hopefully it ends up being good despite a test audience being dumb.

>Conan's recent segment on the game has more or less completely reversed that

lel

On the one hand, I'm glad they're not touching Silent Hill 2, which is about as kino as any game ever made. On the other, I wonder why the fuck they're not adapting it. It's really easy to translate to a script.

Theres no story in division to lift into the movie. The game just has a setting and some missions built on top of it.

I've got a couple more but for lesser known franchises, if anyone cares

>Myst
Legendary have the rights to turn it into a TV series - it got very close to being announced for production a couple of months ago, but it was shot down for reasons I don't know about. It's meant to be Hulu's serialised mystery series to compete with shows like Westworld and Game of Thrones, but there are a lot of conceptual troubles. They really want this to be a new Lost.

>Grim Fandango
Despite their strong relationship, Disney rebuffed Tim Burton's advances to turn Grim Fandango into a stop motion movie. It's possible this was due to objections from Double Fine, who apparently have some stake in it as well, but the project for now is dead.

>Phoenix Wright
A sequel to the Japanese movie will be produced next year, involving time travel and more Edgeworth.

>tfw no Final Fantasy cinematic universe thanks to Conan

Well damn, Grim Fandango is the only one of these that might be any good. Oh well.

>The Last of Us/Uncharted dead

How the fuck are these so hard to adapt? The games are practically movies anyways

What about the witcher senpai?

No news familia, although I fucking love the games, seems like a no brainer to me to make a HBO-style series out of. Last I heard it mentioned was last year, apparently the rights are a pain in the ass to obtain.

>Myst TV series

They better not be playing. This would be the best shit ever.

Good, can Sup Forums finally fuck off now?

That Clueless Gamer episode was great

Are they still working on that Call of Duty cinematic universe?

>The Last of Us
>Isn't happening

Good. It doesn't need an adaptation.

> Due to Ratchet and Clank's terrible performance.
Was this movie really that bad? I played the PS4 title and it was pretty alright. Some cutscenes I noticed were stripped right from the movie and they seemed alright. My only gripe was near the end where they shoehorned Nefarious into the spotlight again.

I've literally heard nothing since that initial announcement.

I know that a production company dedicated to this thing was set up, a lot like Ghost Corps at Sony for Ghostbusters films... and we all know how that turned out. They certainly haven't come forward with any solid plans to any studios I've heard of.

Why no Halo movie, OP?

>Warcraft flopped in the US
>Assassin's Creed likely to flop since it opens around Rogue One

They were supposed to jumpstart the vidyashit craze!

First it was the cost of the rights and production. They came really close years ago, with two studios sharing the cost of buying the rights and script to a Halo movie - it was that expensive. This was on the understanding Peter Jackson would direct, but he instead chose Neil Blomkamp (at the time unknown) to do it instead. They couldn't trust a literally unknown name with such a huge project, so it fell apart.

These days, the Halo brand isn't as 'big' as it was say 10 years ago. The ideal time for a movie would have been around the release of Halo 3, these days it's just not a priority for either studios or Microsoft.

That said, I've heard a couple of times about a full length CGI movie being made in the Halo universe. I don't know if this was ever announced or put into production, but that seems like the series' future.

>My Dad Works At Nintendo threads on Sup Forums

people, adults, still fall for this shit

It was really fucking bad.

>GoW4
>Reboot

It's literally just a fucking sequel with new characters.

>final fantasy is still going
>and its at 15

jesus christ havent they all been shit since 10 and i didnt even like 10

what about the Half Life movie directed by J.J abrams?

>First it was the cost of the rights and production. They came really close years ago, with two studios sharing the cost of buying the rights and script to a Halo movie - it was that expensive. This was on the understanding Peter Jackson would direct, but he instead chose Neil Blomkamp (at the time unknown) to do it instead. They couldn't trust a literally unknown name with such a huge project, so it fell apart.

no, it wasn't, none of this is true. pj was never going to direct, he was only ever a producer, and the production fell apart because so many players had backend deals and they refused to reduce their fees, it had nothing to do with a lack of confidence in blomkamp.

That's a shame. The PS2 games always had great humor, even deadlocked which was played fairly straight. The reboot was the first one I played since crack in time and I was a bit disappointment by it's dialogue.

>no Grim Fandango movie
fucking hell

>The test screenings have deemed it too confusing and oddly paced, so don't expect much from this one.
Doesn't this cement it as kino? Snowtown and Macbeth would have been considered confusing and oddly paced too to the pleb masses. I'm thinking we've got another BvS on our hands when an auteur director somehow manages to trick the studio into letting them release a great art film. Sure it'll get shit on by normies but the real cinema elite will get a great film out of it.

BASED CONAN

Why is Sup Forums so fucking retarded they believe all this "insider" "leak" bullshit?

what about the guy who's direction the new Kong movie?

whats the status with that MGS movie?

I'm not expecting much, but still, considering fans of the series don't want anyone touching it once kojima left, there has to be some type of delay right?

>Phoenix Wright
>A sequel to the Japanese movie will be produced next year, involving time travel and more Edgeworth.

>no T&T movie with Godot

Miike pls.

>Naughty Dog more or less want full creative control

Based Naughty Dog

Why would you lie to me?

MGS has had about 20 different writers try and tackle it. No one can agree on if they should just adapt one of the games, or make a new story set in the MGS world. Those Christian Bale as Snake rumors were somewhat true, he read for the role, but so did dozens of other actors.

>The Division
Jake Gylenhaal is satisfied with the script and the film will shoot next year. It uses the setting of the game as a springboard for an original story.

BASED Jake Gylenhaal

>involving time travel
wut

goddamn its not that hard to make a mgs movie

you just make mgs2 and just make the twist that mg1 made and your fine.

say it's non cannon and then boom get out.

or shit just make mgs3, its already tailored to be the first in the series chronologically anyways, people wont be confused if its beginning of the damn timeline.

>PT adapted into new Silent Hill

Fucking hell just make a SH2 movie you niggers, you could lift every scene from the game and it'd still be golden

Someone tell Blizzard to get an Overwatch movie off the ground while it's still hot.

Any news on Mass Effect or Overwatch films?

not after the warcraft movie their not

Not OP - but Mass Effect ain't happening for a while. They're waiting to see how Andromeda does. I've heard nothing on Overwatch.

>Not knowing Final Fantasy is weird and Japanese
What the fuck did they want the licence for then? What kind of movie did they expect to make out of it, some generic high fantasy LOTR/Game of Thrones rip off with Chocobos?

We can only hope
For what it's worth, Ubisoft said months ago that they expected it to flop but that it would be worth it overall for brand awareness
So they've probably skimped on things like focus-testing and just let the team do their own thing - which is potentially promising

with the success of Skylanders Academy and semi-success of Warcraft i wouldn't be surprised if we see an Overwatch series or film sooner rather than late

If those shorts are any indication an Overwatch movie would be as bad as the R&C movie

literally every movie with "final chapter" in the name has had a sequel

>Hollywood shit has been irredimable garbage ever since the 00s
>And even then all the """"classics""" are dumb shit

>Superior medium with superior audience gets attacked by hollywoodshit
>Hollywoodshit makes garbage
>Superior audience rightfully ignores it
>and deeply resent hollywoodshit for ruining something from their childhoods

>I work for a-
Goodbye.

>>Superior medium
lel

>Make your average hollywoodshit garbage
>Based on video games
>People who play video games hate hollywoodshit inferior medium garbage
>People who play and not video games are not conditioned to be tolerant towards it and eat the shit up
>Movie fails
>in 99% of the movies people end up saying it was shit i wasn't expecting anything good to begin with
>Hollywoodshit somehow has any value and isn't a source of cancer which is now latching to the superior medium
>To ruin it and condition people into eating their shit products up cause all they make is garbage and theres no other way anyone even pay attention to it if they are not brainwashed
lel indeed

MGS is too obscure to warrant a hollywood production

>Grim Fandango cancelled
I'm okay with this, for now.

Still waiting on a Stop-Motion Psychonauts.