In a perfect world where Jackson never made the Hobbit trilogy...

In a perfect world where Jackson never made the Hobbit trilogy, What would Tolkiens opinion be of Peter Jackson and the LotR trilogy?

He'd hate it.

He'd think it's shit because him and Christopher Tolkien have to be contrarians.

It's fucking dogshit just as bad as the hobbit.

This these flicks are terrible besides fellowship

He'd hate it. Even if he was a competent director his film version of LOTR would be unwatchable.

Tolkien would think what all sane adults think, that the cgi is shit and that lotr fans are a bunch of mongoloids

Most authors film adaptations would be unwatchable.

the cgi was good at the time, to someone of tolkein's generation it would be mind-blowing. He'd still hate the movie though, too much action, not enough singing and nude hobbits.

He would have wished he was dead.

He would probably think his christian-existentialist subtext got frowned out by visual effects and action schlock. Also he probably hated celebrity culture in particular and modern mass media in general.

ITT people pretend they knew Tolkien and were his friends

He'd probably just hate how they handled the ghosts like most people do.

Well I remember his son hated it.

I'd imagine Tolkien would also think it was silly to turn his whimsical vehicle for languages and description into a cinematic masterpiece of conflict, action, and both masculinity and femininity, but then maybe he'd find it nice his young friend Christopher Lee got to be one of his wizards.

>his young friend Christopher Lee
Pretty sure Lee only met Tolkien once by accident in a bar and he fanboyed out.

Still gave him his blessing to play Gandalf.

Tolkien wasn't adverse to his work being adapted into film, he just couldn't see it being done. An understandable thought before CGI.

And despite what nerds say, Jackson's films would have been worse for it if he had slavishly followed the books. They work as movies by themselves as well as adaptations.

I agree with most of what Jackson did, yes
>replacing Glorfindel at the ford with Arwen
nah fuck off cnt

Arwen needed to be in the movies more in order to do the relationship properly and also give the editors a reason to cut back and show other things.

Otherwise she'd show up like a handful of times and any depth or weight that it gives to her or Aragorn's character is lost on screen.

Movies are not books.

She didn't need to save Frodo, outside of that scene they never interacted again
There was no reason not to have Glorfindel do it
Arwen couldve made her first appearence stunning all the hobbits with her beauty and welcoming them to Ilmadris, but no she had to be a tough girl

>There was no reason not to have Glorfindel do it
Aside from the fact that it additionally complicates to movie, requires additional time to establish a new character in addition to introducing Arwen and spending MORE time developing her, is objectively worse from an editing and writing standpoint and is something that 99% of people won't care about. Not to mention you also have to deal with that fucking thread. Now he's got to show up in later scenes or the audience gets confused.

Besides, he's a fucking leftover character in the books as well. Literally replaced by Legolas in various scenes in later drafts of the book.

ITT
>people who refuse to mention the lack of Tom Bombadil

I still remember being a huge fanboy, queueing to get tickets for the premiere, feeling how something was off with the pacing, slowly realizing they had cut away my by far favorite character of the books...

I died a little that day...

Who gives an actual fuck desu, hes clearly an element of the books they could afford to cut out, and has no bearing on the plot whatsoever