My first cello lesson is on Monday

My first cello lesson is on Monday
What is some advice for an absolute beginner?

Learn to read music. Listen to recordings of stuff you want to play if you want to play it well. Hard work and perseverance will definitely pay off if you practice daily, but only if it's mindful practice, not pointless noodling. Scales and metronomes are your friend. Tune your cello and tune it well.

Thank you user

I recently started as well and remember my first lesson.

I would actually say the best advice for lesson #1 is don't be afraid to dig into the strings and play close the the bridge. Getting a big sound from long slow bows should be your goal for lesson one.

I would also play around with your posture and cello hold over your first few months to find what works for you. Pros play very leaned back to very upright so play around and find what works for you.

Ask your teacher lots of questions and get their opinion.

Get a practice mute if you are self-conscious.

Thank you user
Do you think that being left handed would put me at a disadvantage? When I picture myself playing right handed I feel it would be quite uncomfortable. Has playing guitar left handed fucked me?

You're going to be shit and there will be a point where you've practiced for hours and you still can't do the simplest thing. Your arms will be sore and you can only play one note right and you're not even sure if you're playing at the right tempo. But the struggle is good for you. If you spend your whole life looking for the easy outs then you'll never be good at anything. It's better to play on hard and fail than to pick easy mode. This probably isn't so cello-related.

I'm expecting to sound like cats in a bin bag for at least the first six months user, I'm going to try and commit to this

>76621677
Focus on form! It's very important and really hard to fix later. Once you get use to it though, it's all worth it

I don't play cello, but I'm pretty sure you don't really have a choice - pretty much all cellists play with the left-hand on the fingerboard

Played cello for 10 years.
One thing I regret is that I didn't do my homework properly.
You probably won't play alot of what you want until you're so advanced that you either can take it out by ear or find the sheets online but it's like math, if you understand it, it's way more fun to do.
And if you get the chance to play in an orchestra or ensemble, do it. It's probably among my absolute favorite things to do because it's so satisfying when it comes together in the end.

>asking Sup Forums for advice about a grownup instrument

Don't you know this is a guitar board?

fingers will hurt badd

I understand this, I just worry that my coordination will be completely off because the guitar has conditioned me to play with my right hand on the fretboard.
whatever, I'll see how it turns out
I want to learn the thing properly (ABRSM grades). Part of the appeal is to one day have such control over an instrument that I can do whatever I want with the thing.
>Played cello for 10 years.
you don't play anymore?

When i was in higg school orchestra on violin a big thing for me was being invested. It takes a lot of work to play strings so make sure you're not just stagnating like I did.

make sure you learn the basics really well. Make sure you get a good bow hold and dont be afraid to play near the bridge.

I hope you dont mind if I ask a similar question OP

Is it ever too late to get lessons? I am 25 and I have been teaching myself the double bass focusing on using the German Bow off an on for about 3 years ( have been playing electric bass for 10 so I have some grounding in music). I suppose it all depends on what I want out of it but playing the bass and learning music is enjoyable in learning to master a difficult instrument but its a sort of lonely experience in a way and I would like to play with other people one day. Any advice?

you can try looking for some festival gig

believe it or not..

HAVE FUN

learning a new instrument should be an exciting and fun experience, if you get too bogged down by autism and perfectionist tendencies you'll be more likely to hate the process and leave your cello to collect dust.

Learn how to insert bow in anus

Find a book that has a piano backing track, preferably one that is based on someone who is a foundation in Cello Pedagogy. For example, when I was learning the double bass I had a book that had no backing track and took you through the bowing methods and techniques and eventually got to backing tracks but I found that more of a grind (though its lessons and exercises were invaluable) After I got a book by Simandl's (the guy who essentially founded pedagogy for the instrument) with a piano backing I found that far more enjoyable as each piece is based around a certain position and a key but actually sounds musical. Bass is lucky like that as it was an underappreciated instrument for a long time so its has some major figures who advanced the instrument whereas the Cello has a long history but nonetheless read into the history of your instrument and find the key figures and found out which method is the one that is being taught to you and hunt for some good books.

audition for a community orchestra

join my band