What does Sup Forums think of REM?

What does Sup Forums think of REM?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They were always a very cool band, less so when they started playing stadiums perhaps but thats how it works. I love them but I will say that I've been surprised how quickly they've faded from view and popular culture. Great songs but it didn't really stick somehow. Maybe they've just gone back to being cool, dunno.

They should have called it quits when Bill Berry left. I saw them on the Monster Tour in 1995, they are still the best band I've ever seen live. I saw them a couple times later on they were only OK really, they just weren't the same without Bill.

They lost me after Green.

Wait. Which one is Michael Stripe? I don't recognize him with all that hair.

Second to left

The guy on the right is not very aesthetic

>Stripe

Love em.

>is not very aesthetic
Someone doesn't know what aesthetics are.

REM made some of the best albums of all time

After listening to half of their discography, I think their debut is their best album

Murmur and Chronic Town are the best imo, up until Automatic they were brilliant but then slowly started to lose steam. One of the greatest bands ever still

Can someone help me understand the hype behind Automatic for the People? Every time I try to listen to it I end up turning it off because the songs are so slow.

It's honestly baffling how much better Murmur is than everything else they've done.

I like all of their albums up through Monster. I can't get into anything after that.

my mom likes them

Literal mom rock. because my mom listens to them. They suck.

When I was 18 or so I was hugely into almost every big 80s-90s indie rock band but REM never did anything for me. Orange Crush is one of those songs that will inexplicably get stuck in my head despite not hearing it in forever, though.

My guess is that alternative rock merged with FM rock radio culturally, where only bands with big loud riffs get airtime and stay relevant. So despite them being huge in the 90s they have no outlet to keep up an audience like more buttrock leaning bands did. Same with The Cure to a lesser exent

I don't understand this mentality. Are you that hip that you only listen to the "latest and greatest"?

Excellent band that were generally consistent throughout. And they had some major hits and were gracious enough to bow out when they couldn't hack it anymore. Good for them.

Peter Buck is easily the least aesthetic dude in REM.

Anyway, REM was the best American band of the 80s (maybe even the 90s, especially if I'm listening to New Adventures at the moment) and it's a shame that bands don't try to sound like them anymore. If you think they suck because your mom like them (WTF) then you honestly shouldn't be listening to rock music.

When I walked into Starbucks and heard Gardening at Night playing I immediately had to delete their discography off my phone and computer in order to preserve my indiecred. Good band though

My mom listens to Marilyn Manson and fingers herself with a cucumber.

I was never really into REM, my first memory of a song of theres was when i was a kid i heard that man on the moon andy kaufmen thing.
Recently for some reason i have been listening to happy shiny people over and over. I dont know why

REM are the missing link between classic rock and alt rock

That sick Peter Buck riff is why

I haven't really listened to anything after Monster, did they really go that far downhill?

New adventures in hi fi is pretty good, but that’s the only post monster album you need. The rest range from mediocre to awful.

GOAT

Was REM really that big? I always thought of them as like some collge rock band. Was U2 really thought of in the same breath as REM? I always thought of them as like some big time stadium rock bono is an asshole thing.

I was born in 91.

For some reason bands like REM, U2, the police were huge but you dont really meet like a lot of hardcore fans or anyone who wishes they could go back in time to that period.

I think people know REM songs but not REM, everybody hurts, end of the world, losing my religion.

The 90's is legit starting to feel like a diffrent dimension, it used to feel like was only a few years ago.

The shiny happy people song is the complete oppiste of everyone being so filled with rage and tension and divisivness of today, was it sarcastic?

It would be like if radiohead dropped a song and was all "come on be happy :D"

there is something really quaint about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA

I like a lot of their albums but for some reason the thought of them is boring to me. Not sure how these 2 feelings coexist but they do. Like,
Murmur and AFTP are objectively great albums with great songs that I like and could sing along to. But when I think REM I think sleepy time. Maybe it's the name?

Fantastic band, always changing each album. Why they’ve become “uncool” nowadays is abusird seeing as they’re literallly the Beatles of Amerindie. Even when they got major they were GOAT (see: Automatic for the People). Though it might be reductive, I’ve recently conceded to my friend they they are the US equivalent to the Smiths in terms of aesthetics and musical style.

i wouldnt say they have become uncool, i just think everyone forgot about them

>help me understand
Songs can be slow and also good. There, hope you learned something m8

it's something to do with chinese propaganda or something
it's sarcastic i think

They really seem like a greatest hits band to me

crazy opinion.

Murmur, Reckoning, and Automatic for the People (at least) are stone-cold classics.

Throw in Document and Green as well.

Also Fables. Come on lads, get a grip.