youtube.com/watch?v=UVkfXHlSJiI
youtube.com/watch?v=HOBQfoAQK08
youtube.com/watch?v=HJpvtbPqDu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you start

>the glow pt 2
>ruined by awful production
huh

So you like it when the audio peaks every fucking time the music intensifies?

not him, but it doesn't clip

Phils vocals being way too loud on the title track are great btw
and it's all intentional too, No Flashlight has drums that constantly clip and it sounds great because of it, gives a really unique sound

Most old black metal

wish it could've been as good as fire of love

>the album INTENTIONALLY has shitty production
Haha, gotcha.

So do you like off-pitch vocals?
Cause that's what he do on the title track

The 2016 Abbey Road Remaster sounds a lot better though

Listen to No Flashlight. everything is beautiful and crystalline but the drums. There's a difference between incompetence and an artistic choice. In that context the clipping drums are not shitty because they work in the album's favour. Phil knows what he's doing
I guess so, his singing on that track is something I find extremely powerful and affecting. It's the best moment of the album

Not so much the production, more the mixing on tracks like "Alvin Row".

is this bait

isn't mark ronson really good

I have no idea how he got the drums to sound the way they do on this record they are really amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=UVkfXHlSJiI

the whole song really just sounds amazing right when the verse starts I think the dude is an actual genius. also I don't know why he produced this album

The production makes that album ya loonie

that's the point of the album

Saturation was ruined by it's production desu

imagine how terrible this album would sound if it was produced like this youtube.com/watch?v=HOBQfoAQK08

how was this even possible

The production/mixing is fine, it’s the awful mastering that killed it. It’s mastered way too loud.

Two tracks on the album - "Spirit They've Vanished" and "Penny Dreadfuls" - have really great mixing. I'll also say that the coda of "Chocolate Girl" is almost flawless, despite problems I have with the first five minutes. But, the rest is a mixed bag with synth bass being far too in the forefront to let the dreamy qualities to reverberate, and vocals that alternate between being mixed in quite damn well ("Chocolate Girl") to being abysmally unfocused ("Bat You'll Fly", parts of "April and the Phantom", and "Alvin Row" just being thrown to one side for no apparent side).

I love the scratchy, fuzzy tone. I love the incongruous elements (boingy synth bass, acoustic guitar, erratic brush drumming, and very high pitched synths) being slammed together. And I like how uneven Avey's vocals sound in relation to the theme of the album and how everything sounds. But there are serious problems with the mixing at times. Still, it was his first attempt at a full-length album. I couldn't have made this at 20. I can't make something like this NOW.

can someone explain to me what mixing is and how it is distinct from actual recording or whatever? why do so many amateurs struggle with it? what goes into the production beyond mixing and just getting the right tone?

Mixing is just adjusting the balance of instruments in the recording. An unmixed recording would have the volume balance between instruments be a lot messier. Mixing just adjusts the instrument volume levels in relation to one another to the artist’s specification, ie turning up the guitar during a solo or something like that

I'd say it's more his awful personality that ruins it. Really a shit album IMO, and 90% of the people who say they like it are high school kiddies who are just trying to fit in with what they perceive as le authentic Sup Forums culture. It's cringey, self conscious, artistic-wannabe, embarrassingly on-the-nose, teen garbage.

If the bass was louder it would be the best Metallica album

Every top 40 hit album since 2013

No one man should have all these buzzwords

Everything Phil Elverum has made puts me to sleep

What buzzwords? I used pretty plain language to describe exactly why this album is very bad.

the highlight of his career was when his dumb wife died lmao

>cringey
>le authentic
>shit album
>garbage
>high school kiddies
Nah, no buzzwords here. Very straightforward and levelheaded criticism.

>implying this is not the face of a man who makes cringey, self conscious, artistic-wannabe, embarrassingly on-the-nose, teen garbage
Elverum is the embodiment of pouty, vain, angst, caused by estrogen dominance.

I don't think you know what buzzwords are.

that comment was ironically all of those things

Fuck you.

albini boy was the correct route

Words used for the purpose of generating buzz? Cringey is the most buzzy word you can use in 2017, especially when you're too intellectually lazy to substantiate a single point you're making with an elaboration on what is specifically cringey, or why.

he is a deep and thoughtful dude with high test. estrogen dominance would more likely lead to someone like him not expressing himself or call out others for not being high test

>i'm so weak and fragile..... sniff sniff
>if you hit me again i'll die.. sniff sniff
>listen to my intentional voice breaks and bad singing and playing and recording...sniff sniff
>can't you tell how really damaged and deep and fragile I am?
>this is how you be a real artist right?

>elverum high test
>t. low test
He has the face of a baby user.

my point is that you have to be high test to do what he does idgaf about what he looks like. you're low test if you do

>the fact that a man literally looks like a fat baby is not evidence of low t
You're just wrong and you have no point. If you like Elverum and his shitty mope-fest music, just say so, don't try to argue that he's a manly man when he clearly isn't.

>albums ruined by awful production
>posts the best produced album of the 21st century and maybe of all time
Come on, OP...

I think writing very personal music and then singing it in front of an audience is ballsy and therefore manly. My point is that your conception of masculinity is retarded and also has no place in any kind of music criticism. I basically think you're probably not high t enough to dedicate a lot of time writing very personal songs for a large audience

>a conception of masculinity that does not include being a fat man baby who writes whiny pity-me songs about how he's fragile and mopey HAS NO PLACE IN MUSIC CRITICISM
Oh gee. Excuse me mr. music critic. Didn't mean to step into your cuck shed - I mean area of expertise. You probably browse tumblr and take pitchfork ratings seriously. No one likes people like you and the rest of us are done putting up with your sanctimonious shit.

>still thinking calling someone a fat man baby is a valid criticism of their music
>still thinking being unafraid to express yourself in a very vulnerable way is low t
nice straw man chud. get a safe space and get away from people like me

If you don't like the way The microphones are mixed, you probably also wouldn't enjoy The Delgados:

youtube.com/watch?v=HJpvtbPqDu8

the audio peaks on purpose you fucking dingus and not only that but it's done extremely tastefully. the production is very sweet and warm you donkus. fuck you. lurk more and listen to more music before posting please

Just listen to And Justice for Jason you dip

You're not following the conversation I guess. My original point was that what is so bad about Elverum's music is his the personality that comes across. The fact that he's a low t man baby is directly pertinent.

>fans mixed the album better than the band and the producer

How doesn't it bother you

I have never had a problem with an album being too lo-fi, unless it's nearly inaudible from the shitty tape distortion. It's stuff like where every instrument sounds manufactured that bothers me.

Death magnetic and vapor trails

Lmfao

Can anyone rec me stuff if I already like AnCo but especially like STGSTV?

He spent a winter in an arctic norwegian cabin, without electricity water or heat, he went out and survived on what he could scavenge, found his own water and logs, etc.
If thats not manly, I dont know what is

fuck Arca

It does bother me, thats why I prefer it

>all this insecure babby Phil hatred

Nevermind