Name a good Pink Floyd song

Name a good Pink Floyd song
I'll wait

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wpFo_E9Fq2k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what god wants part 1

Dogs

you posted an album full of good songs, once again op is a faggot.

Try to be creative with your contrarianism next time OP

Also "Fearless"

Any song on Meddle, Wish You Were Here, or pic related.

I'd say they were 10/10 albums if I were autistic and kept record of what number ratings I assign to the albums I've heard.

Brain damage/eclipse
Time
Interstellar overdrive
Young lust
Goodbye blue sky
Learning to fly

Never take the bait fellow patricians.

Marooned

gnome

shine on you crazy diamond

15 Step

Speak to Me

careful with that axe

you're gonna be waiting forever

Seamus

is Atom Heart Mother worth listening to?

all their albums are worth a listen

What a stupid and pointless thread. They don't have any good songs.

Seriously, Young Lust and Learning to Fly are among the worst Pink Floyd songs, fucking awful.

Wish you were here
I don't give a fuck what anyone says

>20 Replies
>Not one good song posted yet

Any Colour You Kike

Lol Hey Jew

nice filename

gr8b8m8. Also: Us and Them, Time, Shine on you crazy diamond, Eclipse, comfortably numb

Money is probably my favorite

Us and Them. Not only the best Pink Floyd song but the best song ever written.

Echoes
its not just a good song, it is the pinnacle of human achievement in music.

Money

This

Astronomy Domine or something else from PATGOD is the only true and acceptable answer

Interstellar Overdrive
A Saucerful of Secrets
Atom Heart Mother
Echoes

et cetera

do you think Pompeii is shit? faggot

lol

I Want it I need it (Death Heated)

It is shit

Matilda Mother

Wish You Were Here is a fantastic song, particularly in the context of the entire album.

Popular music hasn't been able to reach the heights of Echoes and Dogs. It's a shame that Punk basically destroyed all the progress bands like Pink Floyd were making.

E C H O E S

>this is what post-barrett-floyd fans really believe

Barrett's music doesn't come close to Gilmour era PF. Their later work was far better in terms of composition, instrumentation, harmony, lyrics, experimentation, conceptualization and execution of concepts. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and the Wall were all far more cohesive projects that had an apparent central theme and weren't just experimentation for experimentation's sake.

>It's a shame that Punk basically destroyed all the progress bands like Pink Floyd were making.
gimme your address im gonna dunk your head in the toilet

Please tell me how Punk had any sort of positive impact on the music industry as a whole.

>implying DSotM/WYWH/Animals/Wall were experimenting
Yeah they were more cohesive, that's the least you can expect from concept albums but Piper is probably one of the greatest psychedelic record of all time and Interstellar Overdriver one of the best songs. Anything post Dark Side is just 'chill' progressive rock (even echoes to an extent) many other bands at the time did much better. To then go out and say punk had no value when there were many groups doing much more than 70s Pink Floyd ever tried is just laughable

google image

first wave punk was garbage but american 80s hardcore basically created the DIY scene in the states.

Not to mention the importance of Post-Punk.

Butthole Surfers? Pixies? Big Black? Dinosaur Jr? SONIC YOUTH? JOY DIVISION? MISSION OF BURMA?

yeah fuck off prog was just self-indulgent self-aggrandizing nonsense

>Piper is probably one of the greatest psychedelic records of all time and Interstellar Overdrive one of the best songs.
Interstellar Overdrive is most certainly the best track on the album but even still, after a strong opening it kind of collapses into a thickly textured mish mash of pseudo-experimental noise rather than actually putting together a well composed song that actually follow the laws of music set by those who came before. When I talk about experimentation, I expect people to be able to experiment within the confines of the laws of music and not just pluck any sort of shit out of their arse and call it 'music' when it's really just 9 minutes of absolute dissonance. Sometimes I really wonder if Barrett fans actually have any sort of notion about melody-writing whatsoever or why, for the most part you should stick to what actually works and be able to experiment within those boundaries.

>When I talk about experimentation, I expect people to be able to experiment within the confines of the laws of music and not just pluck any sort of shit out of their arse and call it 'music'
how pleb can you possibly get? also >following the laws of music

I'm not saying all Punk was shit, but it certainly came nowhere near to the level of Pink Floyd. Sure, Post Punk was a large improvement over the first wave of Punk, but it still never really got to that same level of sophistication that Prog was able to achieve, or at least from what I've heard. You can say prog was self indulgent or pretentious, but I think it was the closest rock came to actually producing songs that were comparable in scope, composition and arrangement to those produced during the Baroque, Classical and Romantic eras of Art music.

Never listened to pink floyd actively, but Comfortably Numb showed up on my spotify radio the other day and I thought it was alright.

I bet you also think Trout Mask isn't music

Okay. It's very clear you are lacking in terms of your knowledge of theory and songwriting, so I'm going to explain this to you: The laws of music, in the vast majority of cases, must be followed in order for a song to be in any way coherent. There is a reason we have rules which limit what we can and cannot do and if we do not follow those rules, we start venturing into the territory of white noise and dissonance. You can call me a pleb but it's clear you are the one who lacks knowledge in theory and in playing. I'm not trying to be an elitist here, but you should really learn a bit more about music before you try and talk about it and embarrass yourself.

I haven't listened to it, to be honest with you.

Remember a Day
Paintbox
See-Saw
It Would Be So Nice

basically anything written by Rick Wright

yeah I see you have a major in Music Theory when you throw terma like Baroque and Romantic around but everyone saying something like 'this isn't music' is just a major fucking pleb. You can listen to your composers all you want and ignore all avant-garde music created in the last century but if you at the end of the day come out of Rock music with fucking Dark Side Of The Moon (or WYWH/Animals) on top you did something wrong. The term 'popular music' gave you away anyway, the most stupid seperation of music ever created but what can be expected from someone who clearly spend no time checking out and then trying to understand the interesting albums of rock and punk music which clearly don't fit into the term

only when Van Morrison shows up

youtube.com/watch?v=wpFo_E9Fq2k

Who was in the wrong here?

and you think you're ready to argue about the greatest rock music? That's just some ground level shit you have to had heard in order to participate in a conversation about the subject

>plugs your nose

You haven't actually backed any of your arguments up with actual proof and you clearly lack understanding when it comes to theory and composition, so why the fuck should I listen to you?
>The term 'popular music' gave you away anyway
But that is the term used to describe the music we are talking about. I guess you can call it modern music if you wanted too. I don't really care. I'm just using it as an easy way of defining something. And, as much as this may surprise you, experimental rock and punk both fall under the category of popular music. I didn't come up with the definition, so don't complain to me about it. That's just the way it is.

>That's just the way it is.
except it isn't. No one wanting to be taken seriously uses the term anymore. The same way you excluded jazz when it first emerged and write it all off as nigger music you now try the same with any music released after World War 2 to get that sweet government money for your MUCH IMPORTANT WORK to the art culture (at least in Germany where I'm from they get that because of this shitty seperation). I'm not into theory and composition arguments but anything by Tim Buckley is more complex than a Pink Floyd song, even if the latter may sound more charming to your ears. I mean come on, tell me how Pink Floyd is better than even King Crimson or any space rock at the time (something like Gong). There's a reason I posted that Barrett picture above, when he first heard Shine On You Crazy Diamond he said it sounded 'rather old'. Stick to your classic shit and maybe listen to Beefheart for a start like the other user pointed out.

10/10 honestly

?

Welcome to the Machine.

You're trying to say that anything by Tim Buckley is more complex than a Pink Floyd song yet you said you have clearly admitted to lacking knowledge when it comes to theory and composition. How could you possibly comment on the subject when you are not experienced enough in it? There's no point in arguing with you. You are basically the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Great we're now playing that game again. I can throw words around like you all day but different to you I actually listened to a lot of 'popular' music and you also couldn't give me any reason for why Floyd should be better than any of the bands I've listed. Just listen to Starsailor someday and maybe get a grip on actual 'modern' music. Then you may also find something called 'post-punk' and hopefully not only the Joy Division kind, although going by your love for Pink Floyd this is the most you coule possibly handle. I'll be here listening to Berio and Cage in the meantime, which probably isn't music for you

>I can throw words around like you all day
I'm not just throwing random words around. It's not my fault you lack understanding of music.
>I actually listened to a lot of 'popular' music and you also couldn't give me any reason for why Floyd should be better than any of the bands I've listed.
I've been putting forth arguments all day about why I think Pink Floyd are the pinnacle of modern music and yet you just seem to ignore them. Okay, so you've listened to more music than I have but you don't actually have any sort of knowledge of music and you can't seem to explain why the music you enjoy is good.

yeah your words were "composition, instrumentation, harmony, lyrics, experimentation, conceptualization and execution of concepts" as well as dissonance. Congratulations, everyone can say this about anything look here:

Tim Buckley's Lorca, as a single song alone, is far better in terms of composition, instrumentation, harmony, lyrics, experimentation, conceptualization and execution of concepts. Now that I copy this shit I see you actually think highly of Waters lyrics. This must be a new low. I sure hope you're actually new to Sup Forums

Reading avant-garde Barrett fans vs dad/arena rock post-Barrett fans arguing each other with the purpose of changing the other people's taste while eathing pop corn is one of the best pleasures life can offer.

glad you enjoyed it

One of these days

>animals
>the wall
>chill
what?

Lol as a fan of both progressive rock and post-punk, progressive rock was due for death in the 80s. The only bands that would survive were bands who were willing to experiment and step out of their comfort zone. Post-punk took many elements from progressive rock and all types of genres, unlike punk. There is lots of post-punk that is highly experimental such as This Heat. A great example of the shift between punk and post-punk is John Lyndon leaving the Sex Pistols to join Public Image Limited. Listen to Nevermind the Bullocks by Sex Pistols then Flowers of Romance by PIL, there's a huge difference.

But too loud for me lads

Fearless is way better desu

echoes and dogs, patrish taste and the two correct answers

if you look at pop music, pink floyd's legacy really did live on even in the alternative movement. radiohead is basically pink floyd for soyboys and they're mentioned in the same breath as nirvana for reaching some sort of musical peak critically in that era

I like that one where dave gilmour plays a pedestrian guitar solo for a whole minute.

Seamus

If

High hopes.

You use those words without actually knowing what they mean or why they're important. I can expand on my points if you want, but the thread would probably be archived by then.

The Great Gig in the Sky.

from amused to death, waters's third solo album

i don't know of a single pink floyd song that uses dissonance as a technique

Waters. They did their best work musically as a group with him writing lyrics, but that doesn't mean you ARE the band, dude.

See Emily Play
Breathe (In The Air)
Wish You Were Here
Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
On The Run

pink floyd are fucking boring but money and in the flesh(2nd version) are ok enough

but the rest of the band save Gilmour (but still in a lesser capacity than before) stopped contributing entirely after Wish You Were Here. Waters wanted to release Final Cut as a solo album but Gilmour insisted it be a Floyd release since the rest of the band needed money.

Waters wasn't just the lyrics guy, he wrote most of the music too, as well as coming up with the concept for virtually every album.

you must be a bad person

Lucifer Sam.

I could name more, but you seemed like you were looking for just one.

Most don't care for it, I think it's a bit underrated.

>Shine on you crazy diamond
>Echoes
>Dogs
>Everything on Piper at the gates od dawn