/indy/- Indycar General

Aero Edition, in remembrance of the manufacturer's aero kits and the millions spent in R&D on them.

indycar.com/schedule
indycar.com/news

Standings:
1. Scott Dixon - 326
2. Simon Pagenaud - 313
3. Takuma Sato - 312
4. Helio Castroneves - 305
5. Will Power - 286
6. Graham Rahal - 283
7. Josef Newgarden - 277
8. Tony Kanaan - 264
9. Alexander Rossi - 254
10. James Hinchcliffe - 232

Next race is the Koehler Grand Prix at Road America this weekend on NBCSN at 12:30pm ET.

Practice 1(Streamed): Friday at 11:45am ET
Practice 2(Streamed): Friday at 4:15pm ET
Practice 3(Streamed): Saturday at 12:00pm ET

Qualifying starts Saturday at 3:00pm ET on NBCSN.

Morning Warmup(Streamed): Sunday at 9pm ET.

Other urls found in this thread:

racer.com/indycar/item/141471-indycar-lights-test-at-the-glen-road-america
youtu.be/hVW6Fy04UB0?t=2m
timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?p1=158&iso=20170625T1215&msg=IndyCar - Road America - Race&sort=1
motorsport.com/indylights/news/mongers-f4-crash-sparks-indy-lights-safety-modifications-920569/
indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/06/20/opinion-pippa-mann-and-racing-backward-gender/409631001/
youtube.com/watch?v=1EQ1TWUo3YU
nbcsports.com/video/rapid-fire-katie-hargitt-conor-daly
youtu.be/6Od54GvhoMk?t=4041
twitter.com/FirestoneRacing/status/876847117628846080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lyle Larson won another race, may give Cheap Ganassi the motivation to put an Indy 500 ride together for him.
He has said repeatedly that he'd like an opportunity.

Couple tests took place this week.
Chip Ganassi and Penske tested at Watkins Glen.
Probably eager to repeat their success there from last year's race while most other teams(who were testing at all) tested at Road America.
racer.com/indycar/item/141471-indycar-lights-test-at-the-glen-road-america

Esteban Gutierrez tested for Coyne at Road America, not certain why they had that secrecy unless it's not an absolutely done deal that he's in the car.

>we are back
good shit.

I heard AJ Foyt was at Le Mans this weekend.
so why doesn't Alonso do Road America? it's not like McHonda are going to be winning anytime soon.

$$$$

He was indeed there for the first time(I think) since his win in 1967 with the Ford GT program.

IndyCar is sort of garbage. The cars are just so rudimentary. It's like they just stuck together some random bits they had lying around the garage.

F1 cars, on the other hand, are the most advanced racing cars in the entire world. Quite literally the pinnacle of automotive technology. F1 creates technologies and sets standards that are then employed across the automotive industry. It is the series that literally leads the rest of the entire automotive industry behind it.

Carbon fibre monocoque chassis - yup that came from F1. F1 was also the first motorsport to use sequential gearboxes, which then found their way into road cars. KERS/hybrid engines for high performance road cars. Yup that's come from F1 too.

That's why I think IndyCar is a bit wank. Because it's just too rudimentary. The cars are just really cheap, crappy versions of F1 cars. Also I guess it has the problem that many American sports have - it's Americanised. It's full of bloody adverts (yes there are billboards and sponsor logos in F1, but they show the entire race without commercial brakes. That doesn't happen in IndyCar). And it doesn't have races outside of America. It's quite obviously just an American product for American audiences. But this probably wouldn't be so much of a problem if the cars were better than they are.

Even F2 (formerly GP2) is better than IndyCar, I think.

Basically you guys should watch F1 instead - or just build some better cars.

>commercial brakes
I meant commercial breaks, of course

yikes bud, slow down or someone might think you have a bit of an inferiority complex

Why the fuck would I have an inferiority complex when IndyCar is - like I explained - an inferior product to F1?

>F1 is superior

That's like your opinion man...

Indycar led the way in safety and practical innovations.
The rear view mirror as a concept began in Indycar in 1911.
Tire development closer to what we use today also began at Indy in the 1913-1919 whereby tires that used to use rubber and weaved fabric, began using braided wire for stronger sidewall tires.
Halibrand, at Indy in 1946, was the first to use magnesium alloy wheels.
In 1923, a Model T Ford was entered and took 5th. The advantage it had was using as many lightweight aluminum parts which made the car punch above its weight.
In 1923, the first supercharged racing cars were sent to Indianapolis to race by Mercedes.
In 1952, a turbo charged Diesel Cummings engine was entered into the Indy 500. The first of its kind.

In the 1920's, Intercoolers were engineered to cool the air compressed by a superchargers. They made their debut at Indianapolis for the purpose of racing there.
Front wheel drive was engineered for Indycar racing in the early 1920's where it saw a fair bit of success for the time.

Methanol and alternative fuels were experimented with first at Indianapolis in the late 1920's.

The concept of Seat belts were first used in Indycar in 1922 after a string of fatalities.

Four wheel disc brakes were a technology that made their debut at Indianapolis in the late 1930's.

Four Wheel Drive made its debut at Indianapolis in 1934.

Indycar benefits from being decades older than proper Grand Prix racing and it stands to reason then that most of the bedrock innovations would make an appearance in Indycar first.

I would argue that Indycar has made more strides in safety than F1 has even if F1 took over the performance developement side of innovation after the late 60's.

Not really. Objectively, the cars are far more advanced. They're just in a completely different league. The cost of building them is, of course, much much higher because of this.

>safety
Literally the most boring aspect of racing. Well done.

>this level of jealous obsession

Thanks m8.
I find it fascinating because there's no reason Bourdais should have survived this 231mph crash into a wall, but he did.
Scott Dixon should not have been able to survive his accident at Indianapolis this year, but he did.
It's a crash that would not have been survivable in a modern F1 car because of different design philosophies. Indycars have to be able to mitigate a lot more energy than an F1 car does because the chance of a Grand Prix car hitting a wall at 220mph is very slim, while it's a real possibility in Indycar.

>The cars are far more advanced

Maybe britbong, but the fact that Indy is a spec series makes the racing a million times more exciting than even this years F1. I prefer F1 because it was easier to get as a kid but Indy car is just a better watch even without all the hybrid electric stuff. Until the new owners fix the wealth distribution system in F1, we're doomed to watching races that are decided on pit stop and tire strategy.

/NASCAR/ guys, how is Bristol Motor Speedway?
Is it any good?
Good race?

Graham Rahal wants to test an Indycar there with a low DF/high HP set up.
How do you think that would go?

The F1 cars are certainly more advanced as tech is concerned.
About the only thing notable about the engines in the current Indy formula is that they're the high revving engines with mechanical valves. F1 engines use pnuematic valves.

Different strokes, but I would encourage the Brit guy to watch this weekends race at Road America.

>F1 cars, on the other hand, are the most advanced racing cars in the entire world
Yes, gaze upon "We are the pinnacle of motorsport!" in all its self-important finery.

open-wheel oval racing is the most dangerous thing you can do.

anyone would be better choice than Gutierrez.
he wasted the detroit double round "trying to adapt" to indycars. Coyne needs a quick experienced guy like Vautier. Or focus more on Ed Jones.

Gutierrez very well be bringing money in the form of another sponsor.
That's something that Dale could use after Texa$.

it would be like putting all the drivers into a blender and turning it on.

No way they make it around a half mile track with 28 degree banking without someone dying

sounds like the dumbest thing ever, perfect for Indycar

Oh kek.
A test there would still be amusing to watch for the simple purpose of setting the unofficial track record by a few seconds.

the 2018 aero kits look sexy. I like no more rear bumper pods. even though I thought those were added for safety.

we found out right away with the dw12 that those pods don't actually work

youtu.be/hVW6Fy04UB0?t=2m

Didn't really do the job very well.
Supposed to stop cars from launching, when they were observably not doing their job very well so the manufacturers turned them into to an even more effective aero device.
Won't really miss them.

K.

F1 gave us power units.
argument invalid.
power units will be looked back on as one of the greatest mistakes in automotive engineering history.

I do wish Indycar had more international races like how CART went to places like Brands Hatch and Surfer's Paradise. There's ovals outside of America too that Indy can use like the British Rockingham and Motegi.

Doubtful Rockingham is in any condition, a Brit user shed some light on its situation a while back, and Motegi was damaged in the earthquakes.

Power units are an interesting idea, but LMP1 cars were already doing that and doing it better for that matter.

guys, stop replying to /f1/ shitposts. don't give them (You)s.
hide, ignore, do not respond.

We can entertain the notion that maybe they just don't know what they're talking about for the first couple posts.
They usually grow bored before then anyway.
Sometimes they ask questions that I wouldn't normally be prompted to answer by normal posters, like what innovations have come out of Indycar for example, most fans don't ask, they already enjoy the series and probably know the trivia.

F1 is expensive and losing constructors. You've got merc and Ferrari.

WEC and Indy are far far better series.

F1 is not what it was.

WEC LMP1 is just as expensive to run as an F1 program.
In fact if I'm recalling the Peugeot/Audi years correctly, they outspent the most expensive F1 programs.

texas was another memerace.
thank goodness the next race is on a roadcourse.

Good or bad result for /our guy/ Alotion?

>thank goodness the next race is on a zzzz
Don't get me wrong, i love road america but Texas was fantastic.

Yo this guy is clearly copypasta though. It's on par with the cricket>baseball copypasta with how obvious it is.

Not very good, but SMP was one of the few teams not using the Oreca7 Chassis. That Dallara must be a real piece of shit.
I also did not really watch the race, SMP could have had shit luck or the team is just not very good.

Alonso didn't win Indy because he didn't do the Indy 500 for the right reasons. His logic was that he was only doing it because Mclaren were so bad in F1 so he rather try the Indy 500. It's more of his passive aggressive emo bullshit to piss off McLaren/Honda. He did it because of his situation in F1 not because he genuinely wanted to win the Indy 500. Mclaren are still bad so why doesn't he do the whole Indycar season then? Maybe Honda can send him to try MotoGP next.

anyone who just comes in here, insults IC, and doesn't even have a question about it or want to learn about it can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I'm not even giving them the satisfaction of a reply, and you guys shouldn't either.

this
plus Road America is the best road course on the schedule.

I like Mikhail Aleshin but his team didn't do well at Le Mans. they finished behind a lot of lower class cars.

but then again, Chip Ganassi, Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan didn't do very well either in Chip's Ford GT's, at least compared to winning the class last year. I think the ACO fucked them pretty hard with the Balance of Performance because the Fords were so dominant last year, due to those cars being basically homologation specials.

but endurance racing is a different beast than what those guys do in IndyCar, 3 drivers in each car, and a long, long time to race. there's a lot more time for things to go wrong.

can you boys do the texas race time so it's on at a decent time here on a saturday morning.

3am monday morning is shit

sunday morning I mean for comfy race time

Add this to the next OP to help international viewers, thx.

timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?p1=158&iso=20170625T1215&msg=IndyCar - Road America - Race&sort=1

IndyCar always uploads the full races to YouTube a week or so after if you don't wanna stay up super late

live or nothing m8.

only time I watch later is /turnleft/ to get through those brutal ads if Ican't watch.

If I don't watch live I'll usually just watch the highlights

they cut the ads out of the uploads

Sorry no can do lad, we have too few night races as it is

Yeah but because it's closed wheel and 24hours the companies can test technology that is much more relevant to consumer cars. Which is why Porsche and Toyota even bothered. They want to see if they can make a electric motor worth anything compared to Tesla. F1 and Indy both suffer right now because open wheel is expensive and the tech is useless in consumer cars.

He did well as an individual driver. He had strong times but the team as a whole was meh.

Tony Killnan had the best le mans he brought his car up to the top 3 during his stints from way in the back.

Dixon did ok nothing bad nothing good

Dixon was also adjusting his driving style due to the left foot being injured. He was right foot braking.
Tony is a good driver, Texas was just a bad race for him.

I agree to an extent.
Right now Indycar has a purpose built race engine formula. The technology may have transferred a little bit, but if they opened up the engine regulations a bit, gave a maximum HP target, max engine displacement, allow I4, V4, I6, V6 engines, and put a cap on allowable costs, it's entirely possible some manufacturers would find that interesting enough to jump in.
You would definitely see some ingenuity while avoiding the late 90's- early 2000's CART situation where there are almost no caps on HP and spending.

I do have to question if it's safe to have that light mount where the rear pods used to be.
Seems like a problem waiting to happen, not that the Indycar Chassis isn't a million times stronger than a F4 Chassis, but I think that rear frame is the type of thing that pierced Billy Monger's chassis in the accident he lost his legs to.

Alright you guy who are in the posse.
Which one are you getting?

the light is in the exact same position as it was before

I think they more manufacturers needs to be a priority. They pretend there is a competition and all that but there are only two and both are very good. Its silly really.

I want a hat.

so has the era of Chevy dominance come to an end?
Honda are supposed to be the weaker package but somehow they managed to win Indy.
Andretti Autosport somehow have won 3 out of the last 4 Indy 500s. I guess I can't make fun of that faggot Michael Andretti anymore.

Speaking of Monger's accident and the changes it may have.
motorsport.com/indylights/news/mongers-f4-crash-sparks-indy-lights-safety-modifications-920569/

Not very specific as to what they'll do, but they talk about not wanting the cars to ride up the nose to the cockpit in the event of a crash into the rear end of a car.
Depends on how their upgrades do next year.
Honda really worked hard the last two years to catch up and overcome their aero kit deficit.

Also
indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/06/20/opinion-pippa-mann-and-racing-backward-gender/409631001/

Women barely compete with men in chess, I don't think it's a coincidence that there are almost no successful women in motorsport. It's unlikely to just be sexism, besides racing is dangerous and men don't like to put women in dangerous situations.

Indycar tops viewership on NBCSN for that week.

The reality is that with so many programs competing for viewership, sponsors should re-evaluate what a good rating is. Seinfeld in the 90's used to draw a 15.0+, the highest rated sitcom The Big Bang Theory only draws a 5.0.
From Television's inception to the mid 90's you only had 20 over the air channels. Then Satellite Tv came out with 1000 and you've suddenly split everyone's attention.

youtube.com/watch?v=1EQ1TWUo3YU
Graham Rahal onboard at Texas race.

nbcsports.com/video/rapid-fire-katie-hargitt-conor-daly

In this interview we learn that Conor Daly can't cook and Rossi can.
Rossi's family are italian immigrants so it would stand to reason they passed recipes around.

>the city of conor Daly
Didn't get past the first obstacle in Ninja Warrrior kek

YOUR MOTHER WILL DIE IN HER SLEEP WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS UNLESS YOU ENTER THE THREAD BELOW AND TYPE "PERRO CACA"

YOUR MOTHER WILL DIE IN HER SLEEP WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS UNLESS YOU ENTER THE THREAD BELOW AND TYPE "PERRO CACA"

Thank you janitors.
Conor is definitely /ourguy/
He'll be in JUST mode until he breaks through with his first win.

what if he's just a slower and less attractive version of Vitor Meira?

Miera wasn't a short stocky Irishman with no neck and no luck.

I have to agree with Pippa
an all women series would be bullshit.

if someone's got the balls (or ovaries) to get in a race car I say let em. no need to segregate.

It's more down to ability.
Has Pippa ever done anything notable in lower formulas?
Has any women really?

Women have a separate category for Chess as well, but they are allowed in the normal divisions. It just seems like women aren't able to compete as a rule.

I don't think you can say women will never be good drivers.
the Force sisters are pretty damn good at drag racing. Katherine Legge is doing pretty well in the IMSA Honda NSX.

but think Danica Patrick set female drivers back decades by basically being a sex symbol that happened to drive race cars, with all the bikini modelling and shit.

I just don't think that women as a rule can compete on the same level as men which is why we see so few.

The other half of it may be the psychological reluctance to put women in dangerous situation. It's probably very logical why we've never seen a woman in the top rungs of Formula racing.

the Monger crash was fucked up.
it's hard to prevent on-track situations like that where you're unsighted. nothing could have been done differently it's just unfortunate.
Until I saw the article I didn't make the connection that Carlin would try to change something in Indy Lights. Is the Dallara IL similar to the chassis in British F4?

An all-women league is bullshit because there are already 8 million racing series. If the best she can do is a local GT series or ARCA, too bad.

I'm thinking the Lights car is WAY sturdier.
As I recall reading, the F4 car is only required to be crash tested at about 60mph.

It also seems that the monocoque is paper thin because the blunt rear of the other car penetrated the front of the car and destroyed dear Billy's legs.

I think Indy Lights is more worried about the potential fro a car to ramp up the nose and have the rear frame of a car smash a driver's head.

Pippa isn't bad. She not wreking cars or anything. Shes just never doing anything notable either.

>all-women league
Reminds me of this
youtu.be/6Od54GvhoMk?t=4041

Here's a comparison of the 2015 and 2018 Speedway kits as they were introduced.

twitter.com/FirestoneRacing/status/876847117628846080

>Tfw Sato-sama is the KANG of Japan

>the call that saved my career

It's national Eagle day apparently.

A thought on how Honda vs. Chevy will stack, the Chevy aero kit is less draggy and can trim more for the long straights at Road America.
Could be a blood bath.

The thing is if you wanted to watch Seinfeld back then you had to watch it on its scheduled time.

Now you can just wait for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc and watch the series on your own terms.

I really only tune in to races and GoT on time these days.

The Kohler GP at Road America is 5 laps longer than it was last year.
This means that unless you can save 20 miles worth of fuel over the course of the race, then all teams will be on a 4 stop strategy.
Unless there is a huge amount of yellow flags(traditionally there aren't many) then even if a team does save that much fuel, they'll be losing tons of time on this extremely long course.

everyone is always saying how good Oriol Servia, is, how he deserves a full time ride?

why?

he's been driving in CART/Champ car/IRL/IndyCar for over 17 years and only has one win (Montreal '05) and one pole (Surfer's Paradise '05).

are you blaming that crash on servia?

anyway, he's only had 3 full seasons since the merger, and when he was in cart he was a solid driver that was up near the front constantly. just one of those "what if" guys and he has a nice personality so people like him.

>are you blaming that crash on Servia?

aren't you?
he clearly moves over to the right into the back of the other car.

try watching this one davison clearly moves down thinking he is clear while serviva goes as low as possible until the natural momentum of going 225 mph takes him in the normal arc off the turn

>you will never get interviewed by Katie Hargitt

why live

I think Servia is one of those guys who has experienced a bit of everything.
He's had so many years in CART, Champ Car, and a couple seasons in Indycar.
If nothing else, he's a good development driver and it would make sense that he would get a call from Indycar to test the 2018 kit and from some team owners to fill in and do a couple one off races.

>you will never date/marry Katie Hargitt
There goes the dream of blonde children.