Would there be vaporwave without Boards of Canada?

Would there be vaporwave without Boards of Canada?

Other urls found in this thread:

vektroid.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/Vektroid
internetclub.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/genderdeer
twitter.com/liliumkobayashi
ultrademon.bandcamp.com/music
swampcircle.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/angelbbgrrl420
accesstds.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/horriblegender
borealnetwork.net/
twitter.com/ribnose
khoven.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/khoven_
soundcloud.com/vipensitymusic
twitter.com/VivianPMusic
steviasphere.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/steviasphere
2nnt.bandcamp.com/music
twitter.com/Birdyflorae
soundcloud.com/nethernet-hotel/sets/nethernet-hotel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Better question - would there be Boards of Canada without vaporwave? (Answer: no)

VAPE

Vaporwave took just as much influence, if not more, from hip hop dudes like DJ Screw and Dilla. And OPN's roots are in Tangerine Dream + 80s synth music. So yes. Might sound a little different though.

Probably, since this was way more influential

Would OPN exist without BoC?

The Old Tunes saga is probably the most vaporwave like release they had, but that was years before vaporwave was even a thing. But I don't think BoC influenced vaporwave too much, otherwise the genre wouldn't be as terrible as it is.

I just said, he comes from Tangerine Dream, you're going to have to go quite a bit farther back.

By the way I think OP was thinking of chillwave, not vaporwave. Or, you know, whatever that dude Tycho is.

No, I mean vaporwave. Tycho wears his BoC influence in a different way. He copped some of the synth aesthetic and euphoria but not the focus on nostalgia.

BoC's recontextualization of nostalgic sounds directly precedes vaporwave. The difference with vaporwave is that it straight-up plundered old sounds and tweaked them instead of recreating an imagined nostalgic past

OPN did a lot of both plunder and re-creation/reimagining

>people always fucking forgets who made vaporwave

Vaporwave would absolutely still exist. I see vaporwave as arising from a huge wave of 90s nostalgia in the collective consciousness of the early 2010s. However I will grant you that most varpowave producers cite BoC as an influence but that's not all that surprising.

I really think that vaporwave would exist in some form even if Eccojams did not come along. I think Eccojams especially influenced the musical form vaporwave would eventually take but you have to understand, in the early 2010s tons of kids who grew up in the 90s on video games/computers were of age to make music and were heavily involved in internet culture. Some subset of these people were probably going to start some sort of movement hearkening back to their childhood and it no doubt would be enjoyed and spread by the rest of their cohort. It just so happened that Eccojams established an easily reproducible musical form with extremely low barriers of entry.

Anyways BoC has nothing to do with this but they made nostalgic electronic music so there's a very loose connection that people make too much out of.

vaporwave is distinctly a trans movement and BoC has nothing to do with that

how, other than "some trans people make vaporwave"

uhh

lmao
off the top of my head I can name more trans than cis vaporwave artists. there are certainly trans undertones inherent in the genre.

to be clear, it's not "some" it's a majority

and the vaporwave producers who aren't trans yet are in denial or not on HRT yet

Vaporwave is 80s nostalgia not 90s nostalgia you braindead soyshitter.

you're gonna have to elaborate in detail because this sounds like some bullshit

ah so that explains why vaporwave is such a shit unimaginative genre

Here is just a small list

Ramona Andra Xavier, a.k.a. Vektroid
>vektroid.bandcamp.com
>twitter.com/Vektroid

Robin Burnett, a.k.a. Internet Club
>internetclub.bandcamp.com/
>twitter.com/genderdeer

Lily Redwine, a.k.a. Ultrademon
>twitter.com/liliumkobayashi
>ultrademon.bandcamp.com/music

Angel Marcold (Owner of Swamp Circle label and various artists there)
>swampcircle.bandcamp.com/
>twitter.com/angelbbgrrl420

Horrible Gender
>accesstds.bandcamp.com/
>twitter.com/horriblegender

Nicole Johnson, a.k.a. Boreal Network
>borealnetwork.net/
>twitter.com/ribnose

Valyri, a.k.a. Khoven
>khoven.bandcamp.com/
>twitter.com/khoven_

Vivian P., a.k.a. Vipensity
>soundcloud.com/vipensitymusic
>twitter.com/VivianPMusic

Stevia Sphere
>steviasphere.bandcamp.com/
>twitter.com/steviasphere

SNB
>2nnt.bandcamp.com/music
>twitter.com/Birdyflorae

the only vaporwave people who i think are not trans are HKE and OSCOB

that's just a list, you haven't explained anything about how there are trans undertones inherent in the genre

I'm purrty sure trip-hop paved the way like crazy, especially the slower, uglier stuff.

So yes.

what

White academics always love to steal PoC music and pretend they made it.

as far as I can tell, vaporwave is the most over-intellectualized genre in existence relative to how much effort and innovation actually goes into it

but uh everybody wants to feel good about the music they listen to and imagine that it's profound somehow

Vaporwave is inherently linked to the internet; it's a genre full of pseudonyms and misdirections, female voices being slowed to gender-ambiguous drawls to the point where gender is moot. vaporwave is a safe space on the internt where it is implied that everyone in the community subscribes to a communist anti-corporate political leaning and this is strongly linked to trans. it maybe isn't so much that vaporwave is trans itself, but all of the things related to vaporwave, like its reliance on the internet, political relations, and general gayness all relate to trans. so vaporwave is like a cousin to the trans movement.

also the list I have written contains a few of the most popular vapes in the game including vektroid the progenitor of vaporwave so s/he definitely imbued the genre with trans themes from the beginning

name one album besides eccojams which is based more in 80s nostalgia than 90s nostalgia i'll wait

Would there be Boards of Canada without hiphop?

that's what you get when a bunch of internet fuccbois invent a genre

>name one album besides eccojams which is based more in 80s nostalgia than 90s nostalgia i'll wait
Literally fucking all of them?

Eah

nope

tons of what was on Warp in the 90s drew heavily on black culture - BoC (hiphop), Autechre (hiphop, electro)

and they also like to think these innovators had nothing to do with the music.

DJ Screw made vaporwave, without him, there would be no vaporwave

>Vaporwave is inherently linked to the internet
wow just like breakcore in the early 00's

>it's a genre full of pseudonyms and misdirections
wow just like british rave music in the 90's

>female voices being slowed to gender-ambiguous drawls to the point where gender is moot
wow just like chopped and screwed and british dance music throughout the 90's (this was even mentioned in a burial interview iirc)

TIL vaporwave is just nu-males and marxist sjws roleplaying genres they're too beta to be part of

no i asked you to name one specifically

What about the Dream Catalogue crew? Are they queer as well?

yes

Yes, it would. We existed before these two hacks.

soundcloud.com/nethernet-hotel/sets/nethernet-hotel