Hana-bi

this was pure kino holy shit

joe hisaishi is a god

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fHpV5-pRwHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Now watch Sonatine, his other masterpiece.

Don't listen to the other guy. Watch all of the Kitano-kino. If you didn't start with Violent Cop you fucked up.

I did, and I like this one more for some reason, the score is excellent, I Immediately downloaded it right after to listen to.

Sonatine/Hana-bi are maybe the greatest "sister-films" ever made. They say so much about Kitano on either side of his suicide attempt

Boiling Point is a mess of a film but interesting as a dry run for the later two films, with much more contempt for the audience that he would later channel towards himself

agreed, the ost for hana-bi is amazing.

Not ashamed to say it just might be my favorite film of all time. Everything about it is beautiful.

What are some other movies like hana-bi and sonatine?

just watched this the other day and it is literal kino
sonatine was one of my favorite movies but i actually liked hana-bi more

i think kikujiro is his real masterpiece though,

i also really liked Brother, despite the negative reviews

Anyone seen his new one? I'm not sure how widespread the release has been so far

I want to say Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, but that may just be the Kitano connection and similar scores.

>Anyone seen his new one? I'm not sure how widespread the release has been so far
I've barely heard a thing about it. I really didn't like Outrage though.

Ryuzo and the Seven Henchmen? It's not bad, I grabbed a download when there was still seeders for it.

As someone who only knows Joe Hisaishi from Spirited Away, what is this movie like? If I try to watch it without knowledge of Japanese culture will I be totally lost?

Joe Hisaishi is the composer for this movie, Kitano is the one who directed, wrote, edited, and basically made this film.

You won't be lost. This movie transcends cultures and is a simple story told beautifully through imagery, actions, and sounds, with very little dialogue.

This movie was just so...

quiet. It was great. The cinematography was amazing.

Main theme is one of the best in films

This is the one where his music is just plagiarized from Tubular Bells, right?

Sonatine: were the guys that put the bomb in Kitano's HQ the same that were with him at the beach house? And if so, why did they do it?

What he did for his wife was just so pleasant

I hope Outrage 3 comes out eventually

One of my favourite films of all time.
I've seen most of his films and they've all been great so far, but Hana Hi is goddamn transcendent

no wait, that's Sonatine.

The cartoon is better

Hana Bi is my personal fave film. I watched it like ten years ago or so when I got into Kitano via Zatoichi. I had seen him in battle Royale before but I think Hana Bi was the next Kitano film I saw soley fo him being in it.

I really was amazd with the content, flow and story I think it was my first taste of his pure style. Anyhow it moved me so much that I have not seen a film like it.

On a bittersweet note, my fiancee is very sick. She does not have anything terminal but over the last year things have been more declining than getting better. Im losing my job at the end of the year and her mental health is getting worse. I love her and leaving her isnt an option. It would kill her. I suppose that I am getting a new appreciation for Hana Bi. Its funny but I cant watch it her as I think she would find the scenes with the sick wife too close to her own. 'Thank you for everything' She said to me. Man this film.

>Hana Bi
>Kikujiro
>Brother
>Zatoichi
>Sonatine
>Violent Cop

Forgive typos pls

That's a nice personal anecdote user.

looks gay

It'll never get the recognition it deserves, will it?

Not quite the same but I'd say that Kids Return (also by Kitano) and Blue Spring are fairly similar.
Violent Cop is also a really underrated movie of his, probably my favourite after Sonatine.

It's my favourite movie.

I'm at the point where I can't even watch half of it without starting to cry like a little bitch.
Even the great trailer gives me shivers:
youtube.com/watch?v=fHpV5-pRwHU

As far as I'm concerned, it got more recognition than it deserved.

>Anyone seen his new one? I'm not sure how widespread the release has been so far
Ryuzo is some nice entertainment. It's quite light overall.

It was pretty autistic tbqh

Violent Cop is underrated? The toilet scene alone makes it one his more memorable movies

Hana-Bi>Sonatine

This better not be a meme thread because I will be downloading this now.

I remember watching Hana-bi and Sonatine and really liking them but now that it's been a few years I don't remember jackshit from either movies.

yea it's pretty good, babbys first decent film?

A lot of people tend to write it off and say to start with Sonatine.
People also tend to not watch the movies he's in aswell ie. Kids Return, Dolls, A Scene At The Sea

Everybody dies.

>People also tend to not watch the movies he's in aswell ie. Kids Return, Dolls, A Scene At The Sea

Which is a shame, I guess people still perceive him as the guy from takeshi's castle or just another yakuza director

That's fucking rough.
You sound like a good guy, for sticking with her and all that. Plenty of others wouldn't.
From one user to another user, I hope things get better

my personal favorite

It was aight. Too long

Just a decent flick

Hannibal?

It's my favorite movie of all time. Fuck, I think I'll have to rewatch it (and Sonatine) soon.

>103 minutes
>too long

i don't think i got it like yous did, what was so special about it? i found it average

It's simple yet layered. Quiet yet disturbing. Violent yet compassionate.

花 = flower
火 = fire

花火 = fireworks (lit. flower fire/fire flower)

It's minimalist film making at its finest.

this tbqh, kitano does so much more without saying anything

the fact that his wife says the last lines in the film are great

Ive always wanted clarification on what his accident meant. Was it really a suicide attempt, though intent negligence?

true kino

I've never seen anyone go in depth talking about why this movie is good. It's always empty shallow praise like it's amazing, it's layered beautiful and so on, but they never elaborate.

it's not worth spilling my heart out to a bunch of fags on the worst website ever made

everythings gonna be okay

Sure thing, kid.

eveyrhing's gonna be okay

Kitano is like a kino version of Steven Seagal.

Top fucking kek

I can't believe this thread is still up

Violent Cop pretty much is intended as a deconstruction of those characters

Personally I like Bresson more, but they're definitly both the kings of minimalism

bump

Tangentially related, but if you liked Hana-bi and how the characters deal with their grief/guilt, try watching Secret Sunshine.

It was hard to get through from what I remember

The MC's expression changing when she found out the guy who killed her son also found God and finding no sense of catharsis was amazing.

I love the outfits in this movie for some odd reason. They're just so clean.

Are there any good Japanese non-anime films made in the last 5 years apart from Kitano's and that other film about the teacher getting revenge?

Thanks guys. Yeah theres no way I could leave her. Im in my late 20s and it took me along time to sort myself out. She was working as a missionary and took an interest in a mid 20s, poor, career struggling guy. Im blessed beyond measure. Im not rich, only been driving less than a year and yet she chose me, I cant leave her.

I have the ost on my phone and any time I have to man up or start a hard task I play "painters" and it fires me up so much.

Many thanks guys. Genuinely

Backwater

>Not listening to Joe Hisaishi's music
You plebs are small time.

Sion Sono has made some interesting stuff.