Nu metal and Pop punk

>Aside from Deftones, the highest rated nu metal album is Korn (3.32)
>The highest rated pop punk album is Dookie (3.52, not counting other shit that isn't actually pop punk)

Was RYM right on this?

saving thread for reply

Recently I tried to get into nu-metal and 2000s punk. I assumed that the dust had finally settled and I could listen to this music with open mind to form my own independent opinion on it.
But… It was just how I remembered it. From that time when I watched MTV in around 2000s and felt just how bland this music was. And I'd be fine if it was just poppy, melodic, and all that. But it wasn't.
Deftones and Korn were just some of the bands that had at least some talent. They weren't great, they just happened to get hype and also be somewhat decent. The rest of these 2 genres was just mainstream MTV versions of metal and punk.

Those genres fall under the "fun" category, for people who don't like introspective art music. With the exception of Deftones for nu metal and Brand New for pop punk, who really departed from those genres. They're really more artsy and experimental compared to others from their respective scenes.

Isn't Screeching Weasel's My Brain Hurts rated higher? Also what do you mean by "other shit that isn't pop punk"? Are you referring to stuff like Ramones because by today's standards they are definitely a pop punk band

>ALL. OF. THIS.

Some genres will never survive the test of time. Nu-Metal and Pop Punk are one of those genres.

Korn daddy touched me album IS an 7.5/10

So much for scaruffi dismissing popular phenomena

Pop punk was ok until the emos get into the scene
Everything after 2007 was shit

>They weren't great
Korns self titled is great.

>rym
>bunch of teenagers writing nonsense opinions no one will ever read based on what they have been told by others
seems like a valid place to be told how to think

Right about nu metal, wrong about pop punk

> good nu metal
Deftones
Roots-era Sepultura
SOAD (though they're massively overrated)
early Korn
Disturbed (also massively overrated)

> good pop punk
The Undertones
blink-182
early Sum 41
The Story So Far
The Ergs!
The Thermals
Jawbreaker

IMO, it's totally wrong about pop punk, and Jawbreaker is easily the GOAT pop punk band.

It's right about nu metal with Deftones, and the only band that can compete is Roots-era Sepultura.

Mudvaynes first two albums are fucking god tier.

I should also mention Descendents

Does this count as nu-metal? It's a classic.

well no, but they have a couple of good tracks.

dig holds up today.

> well no

that's your opinion bro. They are both literal 10's in my book.

I just realized OP ignored The Undertones.

Fuck the OP.

First two disturbed albums aren't bad.
first three slipknot albums are good.
mudvayne have one good album.
system of a down have four good/listenable albums.
dope have a few good songs.

off the top of my head they are some i remember.

well you're a very very generous man.

Try going back and listening to those albums now. You'll realise how wrong you are

actually, i have done recently. none have the same meaning to me to when we were blasting these tracks out of our '3' phones down the local 6 set, but some tracks hold up as catch pop songs.

Incubus is the best band mentioned yet.

>Deftones weren't great
Wrong, Deftones is one of the greatest bands of the 90s and 00s.

No they don't

U just don't get it.

I re liatened to SOAD's discography last month and their first 3 albums are pretty damn good,especially the first one

>be in high school
>Kurt is dead. grunge is over.
>Airwaves are flooded with Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock.
>Literally the only good bands on the radio are Cake, Nine Inch Nails, and the Chili Peppers. And Cake sucks.
Can you imagine that

While I don't even really find SOAD to be nu metal, just kinda fit in with the rest of them, they were pretty good. First album was meh as was steal this album and mesmerize the rest were great. Korn was good early on and their most recent album was a nice throwback to that. Those are the only 2 "nu metal" bands I really like aside from deftones

Not trying to defend nu metal and pop punk, but RYM's ratings are a meme.

90's pop punk was legitimately good, with its roots in skate punk and drifting into slackerism. And then you can trace pop punk back to Buzzcocks and Ramones, so it's not like it was something that "killed punk".

No, Dookie deserves much worse and the top pop punk should be something by Jeff Rosenstock, early Brand New, or The Get-Up Kids imo.
Nu metal really isn't very good at all overall, though I do consider Around the Fur one of my favorite albums. Outside of that, I really don't like any at all. Korn s/t has a few tracks that are kinda funky that you can tap your feet to, but even Daddy, the song that seems to get the most acclaim for being from a place of real emotion, has incredibly poor lyrics.

Also, I really do like a lot of what SOAD does, so if you guys consider them nu metal then they might be the best the genre has to offer. A lot of Mike Patton influence and humor in that band, combined with Armenian folk music influence and topics that the band actually really cares about talking about.

Spotted the soyboys.

>good nu metal
>no Static X's debut
>no Taproot's first 2 albums
>no HT
>no Meteora

this

Linkin Park and Deftones are the only good nu metal bands, to be quite honest. And first wave pop punk still holds up today.

>Also, I really do like a lot of what SOAD does, so if you guys consider them nu metal then they might be the best the genre has to offer. A lot of Mike Patton influence and humor in that band, combined with Armenian folk music influence and topics that the band actually really cares about talking about.
I agree with this. Some of their more obscure stuff is kinda fun.

Don't know really. I must be in the minority, but to me it always sounded like discount bin alt rock. It's pretty good by all means, but it's sure not GOAT material. I think that if it wasn't for the hype it'd be among other forgotten bands of the time.
This depends on your taste. Again, I meant great as Nirvana, Faith No More, MBV, Alice In Chains, etc. They were good, better than rest, but too emo for my taste at least. About the same as Placebo.
I think Hybrid Theory was too poppy, but still by far better than most other bands in nu-metal. If you threw out record scratch sounds and rapping, it'd actually be very good mainstream rock. They knew how to write catchy songs.
What they did afterwards though was less good parts, more bad parts.

Yeah, minus Gore their discog is really fucking good

But I can't understand people who like SOAD

>ctrl-f green day
>phrase not found

fuck this thread

> he doesn't like Gore

pleb

no one mentioned post punk fag