Why do hipsters laugh at Dream Theater?

Why do hipsters laugh at Dream Theater?

The more a person likes indie, post-punk or any trendy genre the more likely they are likely to despise John Petrucci's genius.

I'm so pissed they're touring just for their new bullshit live album. They never came here for The Astonishing but now they finally come less than two years after its release and they only play like two songs from it.

White skill and masculinity intimidates them. If Dream Theater were black they would suck their dicks

jealousy basically

Why is that an issue? The Astonishing is easily their worst album.

[spoiler]Unless they were performing the entire album live on the tour for it, I guess that could be pretty cool.[/spoiler]

Tbh, Dream Theater is overrated af. Yes, they have 2-3 ok prog albums, and some good metal albums. But the fanbase praise them way to much. Prob that's why.

Post-Portnoy >

I guarantee you everyone except Petrucci said "Thank God no more blast beats."

The few good songs they have I absolutely love, but the rest I find just bland. Not bad, not good.
They borrow too much from other bands/artists and their music generally lacks a real identity IMO.

I love avant-prog and brutal prog, Dream Theater is laughable

Best DT album

>They borrow too much from other bands/artists and their music generally lacks a real identity IMO.
Post-Scenes From a Memory I agree with this. I think they had enough of a defining sound and style of their own in the 90s though. Something changed on Six Degrees though, I think they just kept churning out new material too quickly and they became content with building a 10-20 minute track out of just a few ideas glued together by long instrumental/solo sections. They're all so proficient on their instruments that they have no trouble fleshing out ideas to the extreme but they do it with mediocre material instead of taking the time to write genuinely great pieces of music first and then adding on the bells and whistles.

>If Dream Theater were black they would suck their dicks
that's why they prefer animals as leaders instead
Also, Symphony X are miles ahead of pretty much any prog metal band anyway.

*RLRLKK RLRLKKs but in 17/16 instead of 4/4

What do you think Train Of Thought borrowed from too much?

They make lame, soulless wank for virgin neckbeards

False. I usually listen to metal but DT, though not terrible, are quite mediocre.

>John Petrucci's genius.

THE EMPIRE IS RULED BY EMPEROR NAFARYUS

IN A DISTANT VILLAGE CALLED RAVENSKILL, A MAN NAMED GABRIEL POSSESSES THE NATURAL ABILITY TO MAKE MUSIC AND SING

The fact that the storyline of The Astonishing is cringe taken to the next level doesn't say anything about JP's skill or about their earlier albums

this

it's amazing how utterly boring their music manages to be. you would think with how much ADHD seems to dominate their 'songwriting' it would make way for an interesting listen. think again.

Not sure man, it seems like people think they're too prog or not prog enough. I like them as well as indie so idk

What do you think of Liquid Tension? Havent heard much but Ive heard that it had Tony Levin and hes pretty rad.

it's just fucking wank

I like both. Hell, I've played in post-punk and hardcore punk bands and some of my favorite artists are prog rock/metal.

Dream Theater are good. I do tend to enjoy their older stuff more, though (Images and Words, Awake, Metropolis Pt. 2)

>People often slate Dream Theater for just wanking their instruments
>Metropolis part 2, their wankiest album, is often seen as their best
Explain

But only two of the band members are white, Petrucci and Labrie. Rudess and Portnoy are Jewish, while Myung is obviously Asian.

I unironically love them, and John Petrucci is pretty much my role model as a guitarist. However, I will admit that they're a better prog band than a metal band.

They feel like hipsters of hipsters
Their lyrics are sometimes cringe and their music is tryhard to be different. So its not that original or
lyrically moving most of the time but at least its interesting. The song octavarium is great for example.
They have the skill but not always creativity so they often feel average but they do have creative songs from time to time.

metropolis part 2 is their best album, it's well written, performed, and has a great concept
pretty much every other album they've released is boring garbage