>Film begins with narration that covers recent history

This is so incredibly lazy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY
youtube.com/watch?v=1qT8WLa1x7w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how else would you have it done?

Begin with a scene where SF gets destroyed

Next scene shows it happening again, then maybe a few quick cuts to show repetition

Then a scene to show the attempts to counter

Give the audience a little credit to work things out. I hate being insulted like this

You are not being insulted you fucking retard, it's just a way of storytelling

Then it's just a missed opportunity. The whole history of the story has no emotional impact because of this format.

I really wanted pacific rim to be good, even the mech designs were terrible

You're right, Star Wars is fucking garbage

Just re-marathoned this and liked it more 2nd round. Hope they dont fuck up the sequal

Lord of the rings did this and it worked out perfectly fine. But I guess you wanted the movies to go through 1000s of years of war first. And of course everything leading up to those times too.

"show, don't tell" is a pretty stable part of telling a story. Movies with Simon Pegg - like Shaun of the Dead - can do this pretty well, quickly telling a long story with just a few clips. A long trip is explained in 2 seconds with 5 fast cuts, and it works way better than if you just had him say: "Yeah, this is me, you're probably wondering how I got here, so let me explain" or some shit.

>Lord of the rings did this and it worked out perfectly fine
They did the exact opposite. They showed the battle in a few scenes. They didn't have some dude say: "Yeah, we fought and won once, but now we have to fight again".

And if you're talking about the fact that they reference previous history, that's not exactly the same.

Someone has been watching that "every frame a painting" channel on youtube I can see

I have no idea what you're talking about. I think the quick-cut shit came from YMS, in case you thought I was taking credit for other people's ideas, which I have no interest in.

yeah this movie had so much potential.
>Massive budget, no practical suits, city sets, or monsters. Could of been innovative best looking Kaiju movie ever.
>CGI because lazy directing.
>$200 Million dollars plus
>lazy, boring writing

So fucking annoying. In theory this should be one of the best Kaiju movie ever made, but nope.

Fuck off, the opening to Pacific Rim is the best part of the movie. The way that it covers it all like an in-universe news broadcast with handheld camera recordings and breaking news headlines is awesome. It's called world building.

So you want the impact of first seeing the monsters attack a city in the narrative lessened by doing it repeatedly in the prologue, when there are no stakes or emotional investment in what's happening?

The other guy is right, you aren't being insulted but overestimate your intelligence for recognizing narrative structures while not understanding them.

Dat theme tho

youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

Sure sure

This is why you don't direct $200 million films.

>CGI because lazy directing.
Please tell me how you would have done it without CGI.

>scene: a poorly lit bedroom. a circle of bare carpet is visible. the recording device struggles to autofocus, switching between the carpet and the light leaking through the closed curtains
>a Happy Meal-collectable Reptar plush doll knocks over a wall constructed from Lego and stacked pillows and blankets
>a grotesque, hairy fat-guy foot is briefly in frame, knocking down the remaining pillows and Lego to the sound of pained wheezing
>smash cut to a Wonder Woman figurine, a capeless Batman and a Hulk being individually knocked down
>smash cut to several green plastic soldiers - apparently chewed - positioned on a bed. wet flapping sounds, a rough approximation of gunfire, persist before the wheezing resumes
footage posted as EZ-Share Youtube clip, shared to 4chin with an accompanying smug pepe

bland exposition is lazy storytelling
yes, star wars has lazy storytelling in that regard

Actually it is better.

youtube.com/watch?v=1qT8WLa1x7w

So the exact same thing, without the narration.

WHERE IS MY GOD DAMN SHOE?

Did you seriously expect them to use rubber suits? Not even the modern Godzilla films use them anymore.

He dies anyway because of blue blood poisoning