Can somebody give a hint to get into this or it's simply 2deep4u shit?

Can somebody give a hint to get into this or it's simply 2deep4u shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K--kQAmbV1w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

At first I didn't like it either. One day I was just casually going for a walk and decided to listen to it while looking at the beautiful landscapes, and then it clicked. Going outside while listening to such an atmospheric .album really helps me appreciate it more.

It took time for me, then piece by piece i started enjoying it more and more.

Try listening to the beautiful crescendo in Sleep from 13:08 until the end of the track.

Yeah pretty much this. It took me a while to like them too. "Sleep" is definitely the best track overall. F#A#(infinity) or Slow Riot from New Zero Kanada might be better to get into the band though if the "feel" of this one isn't for you. F#A#(infinity) got me into this band.

It's definitely the kind of music that grows on you

There is nothing to get, it's just an emotionally dishonest album.

what did he mean by this?

He was deceived by this album

The album tricks you into enjoying it, but does it through dishonest means (i.e. epic crescendos).

that doesn't even make sense. elaborate?

What's more to elaborate? The artist uses dishonest tricks to make you enjoy their music, which means they are making emotionally dishonest music.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

how are they tricking you exactly? aren't you just enjoying the music for what it is?

It's a meme. Like "artistically illiterate".

No it's tricking him

t r i c k e r y

>how are they tricking you exactly?
See >dishonest means (i.e. epic crescendos)

>aren't you just enjoying the music for what it is?
Yes, just like how people enjoy being tricked when you tell them they look good when they actually don't.
It's emotional dishonesty.

how are they lying to you exactly?

Because when it goes WREEEEEEEEEEE BAAA DUMMMM DA WREEEEEEEEEE during carefully crafted "epic" moments, little itty bitty receptors in that thick head of yours let out their silly chemicals that put that big smile on your face and cause you to recommend this pile of shit to your friends. You've been tricked, is all.

I already explained that to you like three times, so I think you are a lost case.
Must be pretty sad to fall for such emotionally dishonest tricks.

You're fucking retarded. Neurological processes are LITERALLY what give you any satisfaction from any kind of music.

this too, imo F#A# infinity is still their best and Slow Riot from New Zero Kanada is very very good too, and much more accessible

imagine being this jaded about enjoying things

Yeah, its not like all the other albums that are transcendant religious experiences that defy the constraints of biology.
This one resorts instead to basic sensory input, processed by the clumsy human brain. If an album is so low enough to appeal to the human body's elementary neural system, its not worth a listen desu senpai

>if you enjoy the "wrong things" it's because you're stupid or the artist is tricking you some how

>Slow Riot from New Zero Kanada
seconding this
I'm not a big fan of the whole bullshit about third world country.

Easily one of the most accessible albums ever desu desu. I had no idea that some people found/find it hard to get into Godspeed.

What's music that is motionally honest?

Not everyone is an experimental rock lover. They are definitely a lot more experimental and weird for a post-rock band, especially third wave post rock.

>little itty bitty receptors in that thick head of yours let out their silly chemicals that put that big smile on your face
dude that's how you enjoy ANYTHING. do you just not... enjoy things? Do you not have an emotional reaction to anything you listen to?
...D-did someone hurt you? Are you okay?

This american classic won't be remembered in 100 years but it should be

>GYBE
>experimental
lmao

western classical, traditional folk, electronic dance

No music is honest, if you were honest you would get a regular job and do work not make music

Hated this album. Everyone told me to listen to F# A#. I didn't really want to, I figured I wouldn't like it much more. I eventually caved, and gave it a listen. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.

I still hate Lift Your Skinny Fists.

>This american classic
arent they canadian ?

I guess he means North American

Canada is in the continent of North America, yes.

Give Skinny Fists a couple more listens. I had a very similar experience

I would be inclined not to believe you, but after being proven wrong once already, I may as well.

Yeah but the political themes and musical influences on it all scream americana, that's what it adds up to. Canada isn't far removed from america anyway

They're pretty experimental by post rock standards. Not that I need wikipedia to know that, you can tell by comparing them to virtually any post rock produced in the last few years.

And who knows, maybe you won't like it. But I really fell in love with it late. Think of the album as a collage of varying emotions. "Sleep" is my favorite track. The echoing tremolo effect on the guitar makes it sound like its weeping. It's truly magical.

Do hear when you're under stress or depressed.

But if you don't like it on either way, just go their other stuff, FA∞ and Yanqui U.X.O. are better than that.

>They're pretty experimental by post rock standards
Which isn't saying much.

They are not experimental.

This

OP Try listening to Storm while the sun rises, or while you go for a run or something. This is not the kind of album I can just listen to to enjoy, it has to be paired with the appropriate experience, which for me is usually either exercising (preferable in the morning or evening), driving on really remote roads, or deliberately relaxing, like laying down or doing yoga or something.

okay pal

There’s like nothing even inaccessible about this album. Is there ever going to be a time this board is purged of all the plebs?

You don't listen to much music, do you?

>canada is not america

Lads, this is a meme. Not exactly one of the oldest ones around here, but it showed up a while ago. It's generally targeted towards GY!BE, but also Bob Dylan, for example. It's really just a way of presenting a nonsensical argument in a way that seemingly makes sense. The survival rule for Sup Forums is to take anything too ridiculous as satire.

>Canadians ever being referred to as American

This is Stockholm syndrome

it's not deep at all though, it's generic crescendo-core

But he's right. It literally is a meme, from last summer, or maybe even spring, if memory serves.

Stockholm syndrome has been a meme for a lot longer, but that doesn't mean it's not a real thing.

This desu

It creates such a nostalgic mood when it clicks

It's designed to get (You). It's an outrageous, nonsensical claim (emotional dishonesty) with a flimsy argument (the song is designed to feel "grand" and "epic" so you like it) about something popular (Lift Your Skinny Fists at least, if not GY!BE or other well-renowned artists). You can pretty much exchange this for other topics on other boards - /ck/ will talk all day about how certain knives are shit if you make an outrageous claim about it, while /tg/ will descend into grognards fighting one another given a mildly interesting concept and an outrageous claim.

you could make the argument that all music does this you fucking imbecile

Third wave post-rock is pure trash. Try 90s Mogwai, Bark Psychosis or Talk Talk. I'm sure you've heard of them already.

What is your logic here? There are different degrees of experimental, but GY!BE is definitely experimental

>Third wave post-rock is pure trash.
wrong

>There are different degrees of experimental, but GY!BE is definitely experimental
Just like how there are different degrees of gray, except that GYBE would be the whitest degree of gray in this case.

>post-rock is pure trash
Fixed

>whitest degree of gray
i aren't think that

i would like to hear why you think so though

It's easy, because they are not experimental. Try listening to more music before you claim they are.

Everyone get the fuck out of this guy's way. He KNOWS music.

Nice argument.

So the kind of music they made when they started out was completely heard of before? No boundaries approached?

You could say the same thing about Justin Bieber. Is he experimental now? I don't think so.

Nice argument

youtube.com/watch?v=K--kQAmbV1w

>false equivalency

Let me check on a friend.

>GY!BE is post-rock
>post-rock is a form of experimental rock

Did you connect the dots already?

It's pretty overrated. Listen to Dirty Three instead

Haven't composers been using crescendoes to evoke emotions for centuries though? Were they all emotionally dishonest too? Or is this all just a meme and I took the bait?

That music is actually interesting otherwise and doesn't just use crescendos as a gimmick

GY!BE is the equivalent of Ravel's Bolero, but worse

You are supposed to point out why something is a false equivalency or else it's an invalid argument.

>Did you connect the dots already?
Did you? Your argument is based on a false premise:
>post-rock is a form of experimental rock
This is not true.

Composer use crescendos, yes, but their music has a great deal of substance beyond a crescendo. That's why it can't be said that the great masters of western classical music are being emotionally dishonest.

It's literally the first sentence...

>fell for the artistic dishonesty meme

>fell for the GY!BE is good meme

How is elementary school, retard?

I'm assuming you're the same user? I was expecting an argument since you took like an hour for that weak response. Care to elaborate?

There is nothing to elaborate on since citing Wikipedia is not a valid argument. This should be obvious to anyone who has finished elementary school.

It takes citation from AllMusic. Last.fm and RateYourMusic label it as experimental as well. Are you saying they're all wrong?

Yes, they are. Last.fm and RateYourMusic are literally a bunch of nobodies voting in favor of a definition, so it's ad populum, while the AllMusic definition is written by some random nobody.
Nice appeal to authority anyways. Spoken like a true elementary school student.

>qualifying things you don't get as 2deep4u
Get real please

post-rock is clearly traditional rock music and has all the tropes and structures of it. nice bait.

What are you trying to prove here?

>A thread starting with actual discussion
>Ends up in a shitfest due to xd le meme shitposters
Classic Sup Forums

Also:

1. The emotional dishonesty is a shitty meme and you shouldn't feel bad for enjoyng GY!BE
2. They're 2nd wave and not third
3. Post rock is an experimental genre per se even in third wave crescendocore and denying it is pure elitism

>3. Post rock is an experimental genre per se even in third wave crescendocore and denying it is pure elitism
Post rock is not experimental, stop being such a retarded faggot. It has nothing to do with elitism unless you take pride into enjoying music because it's experimental even when it's not. Fucking retard.

Also
>2. They're 2nd wave and not third
The concept of post rock waves is the most retarded thing ever.

>1. The emotional dishonesty is a shitty meme and you shouldn't feel bad for enjoyng GY!BE
The fact that you have to mention this says a lot about the average GY!BE user. It's almost as if you are implying that GY!BE users are not only stupid, but users who are deeply affected by peer pressure (in this case, Sup Forums).

The insults you use should say enough about your mental capacity. Also you two seem to have missed 3/4 of the posts, wouldn't have needed to say that shit if they weren't there.

Hell I'm not even a huge fan of GY!BE and I now realize I shouldn't bother trying to argument in a thread gone so far down the shitter.

Also if you think that other people's opinion and mob mentality doesn't affect anyone unless they're a xd soyboy you must be living in a cave unironically thinking the chad meme is a way of life.

>The insults you use should say enough about your mental capacity.
I'm trying to communicate with you, so I had to use an appropriate level of vocabulary. Anyways, the point still stands, post rock is not experimental. Maybe some of their artists were, but the genre on itself is definitely not experimental.

>Also if you think that other people's opinion and mob mentality doesn't affect anyone unless they're a xd soyboy you must be living in a cave unironically thinking the chad meme is a way of life.
I pity you, because that's not only false for many people, but you also admit falling for it. It's pathetic.

I'm not falling for anything, is normal human behaviour, some are more affected by it than others. Are you telling me you never in your life cared about others opinions? Never? I'm afraid that's the trait of a sociopath

>I'm not falling for anything, is normal human behaviour, some are more affected by it than others.
And apparently GY!BE fans are affected particularly so, so much that you have to tell them how stupid they would be for falling for some shitty bait. So, they are stupid and emotionally unstable, great! And to top it off, they have to justify their taste by claiming that post rock is experimental, because claiming otherwise would make others elitist, since experimental music is a sign of status.
You guys are fucked up.

>Are you telling me you never in your life cared about others opinions?
Certainly not at an anonymous music forum.

what a retard this guy is

Just get yourself 2 hours of uninterrupted time and listen to the whole album all the way through.

drugs

>generic crescendo-core
I hate this meme so much. Why not try to actually describe what you don't like about it, retard

>being this asshurt over subjective categorization

You probably have a short attention span, like me. Listen to the album while doing daily life tasks, read, go for a walk, run, work out, anything, while listening to the album.
That's what worked for me and it's now one of my favourite albums of all time