This is The Downward Spiral. It is the greatest album of all time. Say something nice about it!

This is The Downward Spiral. It is the greatest album of all time. Say something nice about it!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4H5h-oHvuo
youtube.com/watch?v=qblHnBJkEPw
youtube.com/watch?v=pUn3gf-0VlY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I've listened to 3 albums

Sure, it's "good", if you're an angsty 12 years old.

Great album but not even the best album of 1994

It's a great album, and probably the best album of the industrial genre. But for that sort of thing I honestly prefer early Einstürzende Neubauten and Godflesh.

The Downward Spiral is an awesome listening experience when you listen to it straight through. But I don't find that it has much replay value - I don't really want to return to the songs repeatedly.

reznor's lyrics are angsty 13 year old bullshit but everything else about this album is amazing

>"my favourite album is the shit Sup Forums and anthony fantano tell me to like"

good job tront

They're perfect in the context of the album and with his delivery.

>i make baseless assumptions because I'm a seething faggot

I don't get the angsty teen thing. I was happy as fuck as a teen and associated stuff like Green Day and Blink 182 with that age group rather than NIN. It was only after becoming a depressed twenty-something that I got to understand the latter's music. Trent was also older than most of this site (and at least double the average Sup Forums poster's age) when he wrote this album.

>implying 12 year olds even know who nine inch nails are

>baseless
This.

Not an argument.

>>baseless

Yeah when I was a teenager I wrote this album off as angst bullshit it wasn’t until was in my mid 20’s that it actually clicked.

describing something with an adjective isn't valid criticism. imagine if someone said a piece of music was bad because it was too happy. they'd look like a bigger hack than anthony fantano.

It depends. There's tracks with good lyrics (Ruiner, Reptile), and ones with absolutely cringeworthy lyrics, at least imo (I Do Not Want This, Heresy).
That's odd. I thought this album's lyrics were the greatest thing ever when I was 15, and I've gained less appreciation for them over time. I'm 27 now.

how delusional r u?
thats just your opinion man

It's objectively true.
Taken on their own I'd agree, but his voice has so much conviction.

I appreciate how raw and to-the-point the lyrics are. The lyrics wouldn't work if they had a more poetic slant to them, with a greater volume of verbose language used. They're suited to the concept of the album, which is more in the vain of someone who isn't right in the head spilling their guts out as they confront an ever-worsening pit of turmoil, rather than someone piecing thoughts together and gradually working out the things in their head in a composed manner. The only track that seems to do the latter is the last track on the album, incidentally right after all of the anger has been drawn out.

>probably the best album of the industrial genre
I fucking hate when Sup Forums talks about industrial. It's painful to have it as my favorite genre sometime.

>Ugh these lyrics are so cringe!

feel free to stop being stupid at any point in your life.

the lyrics are spot on for what its representing.Its mentally ill people who might have a more immature mindset

give me your top 5 industrial muzak albums amigo.

>Con-dom, genocide organ, anenzephlia, the grey wolves, le list goes on

>the best album of the industrial genre
not even best of the industrial rock genre

Yes it is.

>ur stupid because you think one aspect of my favorite artist is weak lol

Is NIN better than Foetus, Chrome, Minimal Man, Godflesh, PIG or even his contemporaries like Ministry? I doubt it. Not even saying NIN is bad.

I could see that. It's been a long time since I've listened to the album now, I'll have to go in with that mindset.

The Downward Spiral is.

Have it your way user.

>best
Mr. Self Destruct
>runner up
Reptile
>worst
Big Man with a Gun
>overrated
Hurt
>underrated
I Do Not Want This

on the basis of this album, sure. what would be your contender for the best album to contend for the title?

NIN fans are literally the cancer of the genre, don't bother. You can see the autistic dedication of OP in that sense.

people who did this listen to this. at least back in the 90s' at least in my town they did

I wouldn't say Hurt is overrated, it's arguably the strongest on the album.
Sup Forums is literally cancer.

hanging headphone wires are the new chain wallets btw

A lot of people did that in the 90's. Hell, a lot of people still do that. I had a Slipknot chain wallet when I was like 13.

Hole, Half Machine Lip Moves, The Shroud of, Streetcleaner, Psalm 69 and A Poke in the Eye are all contenders. There's no objective answer.

easy on the soy dude

I literally just said I prefer Einstürzende Neubauten and Godflesh. I'm also a big fan of SPK, Test Dept., Ministry, Clock DVA, Front Line Assembly, and Brighter Death Now. I've met Monte Cazazza.

God, I fucking hate you pretentious little assholes.

i always wanted to do this but was afraid to do it at school. when i was home i did it. i thought it was so cool. not even trolling

It's not as cringey as Pretty Hat Machine!

I actually just started listening to this for the first time and I am enamoured with the production. Even the lyrics are a step up from his earlier stuff, and they absolutely work in this ugly, grimy world he builds. On paper, they're trash ("God is dead and no one cares . . ." gets mocked relentlessly), but his delivery completely changes them.

>I've met Monte Cazazza
So how was it?

PHM is probably his weakest work. There are still some great tracks on it though. Even Broken felt like a step up.

PHM is a great selection of pop tracks, you just can't take it as seriously as TDS, Broken or even The Fragile. The whole album was fueled by a break-up so I can forgive it for being schmaltzy at times.

He's a really sweet guy, but also rather introverted. I actually spent a decent amount of time with him. He's extremely intelligent, and can pretty much lecture about history. He can be a tiny bit timid, and I get the sense that he doesn't really like a lot of the edgy punk and industrial types that gravitate toward him. Part if it might be that he went through a rough period, where a few years ago he was struggling with housing. But yeah, really nice guy. If you ever run into him, I think you just need to be real, genuine, and open, and he will be too. His bullshit detector is pretty strong.

didn't reznor say he literally lifted the lyrics from his adolescent diary?

I think I remember him saying in an interview that he had a lot of things written in his diary, and came to the realization that he should make music at some point. I don't know if he took the lyrics from the diary itself, but he supposedly had a whole album's worth of demo material that didn't get released prior to producing PHM.

That's nice user! Thanks for sharing your experience.

>Sure, it's "good", if you're an angsty, desperate heroin junky getting bent over by record execs.

fix'd

This is an interesting documentary: youtube.com/watch?v=O4H5h-oHvuo

he was never a heroin junky

>the whitest kids u know
Is this 2005?

Yes, he was. What do you think Hurt is about?

You're the one who clicked on a Nine Inch Nails thread.

>best
Reptile
>runner up
Hurt
>worst
March Of the Pigs
>overrated
Closer
>underrated
Big Man with a Gun

he did heroin one time by accident, cocaine and alcohol were reznor's drugs of choice. hurt is about the character in tds hitting rock bottom

except reznor is more relevant than ever now, just in a different way

TDS isn''t autobiographical, breh

But Nine Inch Nails are still popular.

>Taken on their own I'd agree, but his voice has so much conviction
Absolutely this.

>reznor is more relevant than ever now, just in a different way
Is it 2010?

I think more people know his name now than they did when he first started working with Fincher.

You are fake, you have shit taste, you are a poseur, you are confused, you are small

That was terrible, and I love wkuk

What festivals was he headlining in 2010?

You just described Sup Forums

are they ever not terrible?
I haven't seen much of it but it seems their brand of humor is being really unfunny?

>>best
>The Becoming
>>runner up
>Piggy
>>worst
>Big Man with a Gun
>>overrated
>Closer
>>underrated
>March of the Pigs

not that pop culture relevancy really matters at all, but he's a respected industry professional and producer and just did the score for before the flood and the vietnam war doc both of which were praised. the nin ep's were quite good. he was also on twin peaks.

the Rez and NIN are two separate things, broskies. the latter one didn't actully exist between late 2009 and mid-2013.

>The Becoming
I actually prefer the Still and live version of this one more.

This could be future me because I still don't get NIN but am so very interested out of imagery and production.

>the Rez and NIN are two separate things

Correction - Not The Actual Events was excellent and Add Violence was average.

you know exactly what I mean.

aside from less than I liked every song on there more than any track from not the actual events

With Teeth is a pretty good starting point. Not Trent's best work but it's a solid radio rock album that doesn't take much listening to appreciate.

They do have a very particular style that might not be for everyone, but that trent sketch was 100% trash

what is the style?

Cool, I'll listen to that one then because I never have and I saw it had a song with 999m views on YouTube the other day, which just felt like if it's that accessible any chance of enchanting my pop heart lies in there.

nah, don't start with albums right away, listen to a couple of gigs.

Right. I wasn't trying to belittle you, it was the album I started with and it worked for me.

please check out more if you don't like it, as a huge TRfag I think it's his blandest and most boring work, especially when it comes to those singles, but every NIN record has its own unique and different sound.

I have no clue
here, have my fav sketch
youtube.com/watch?v=qblHnBJkEPw

wait a min, I saw the trent sketch now. I found it p funny for some reason.

Really? That's interesting, I'll check out that too.
I was serious lol, I'm very into melody, and currently interested on mainstream pop/rock of the mid 00s so it fits perfectly.
Alright I'll have it in mind too and give another spin to Downward/Fragile hoping this time something sticks.

different strokes for different folks I guess
youtube.com/watch?v=pUn3gf-0VlY

>the needle tears a whole
>the old familiar sting
>try to kill it all away
>but i remember eveything

Based upon information that has recently come to light, you are playin' yo self

>information that has recently come to light
Explain.

deff a lot of anti humor going on

The dude in drag totally got a train ran on him after this sketch filming wrapped

"God is dead and no one cares!!!!!" is one of the cringiest lyrical moments I can think of. It's like it was written by some angsty 14 year old from a fundamentalist family who's been atheist for a few weeks. Aside from that, great album.

I was just working a Big Lebowski quote in there.

I thought it was an average album when I first heard it, but the replay value of the songs really increased with a few listens and made it great for me.

"he's having a little heart attack"
god i died

Listen to Skeptic by Slipknot. The chorus in that is much worse. Or Five Finger Death Punch.